Canelo Alvarez Vs. Austin Trout: Live round-by-round updates

BY Raymond Markarian ON April 20, 2013

Canelo vs Trout Round By Round

Canelo vs. Trout

Trout walked out first wearing white trunks. Canelo wears black with red trim. Fighters are announced. It is Showtime!

Round 1

Canelo loosens up his jaw as the fighters bounce around the ring until the bell rings. Action takes place center ring. Canelo circles to his left and Trout throws the first right jab midway through the first minute. Canelo can’t inside so far. Trout is controlling the pace of the round. The crowd goes nuts with every Canelo punch thrown.

Trout 10-9

Round 2

Canelo is backing Trout but still can’t get inside. Trout lands a nice straight left at the end of the first minute. Trout is pawing the jab, not really landing it hard. But the punch is keeping Canelo at bay. Canelo landed a good right uppercut with about thirty seconds to go in the round. Better round for Canelo. But Trout wins again.

Trout 10-9

Round 3

Trout’s length is giving Canelo problems. The Mexican fan favorite has not landed any impact punch so far. Round 3 starts just like the other two. Trout jabs and Canelo stalks. Canelo is reaching with the right hand, looks more aggressive. Canelo opened up with a good right hook to Trout’s chest. Canelo edges this one.

10-9 Canelo

Round 4

Canelo is using the jab more in this round. His right-hand finds the target with minimal damage. As a matter of fact, neither fighter has made a definitive statement. Trout tags Canelo with two straight lefts to the body. This is a close round. Straight left lands again for Trout in the last minute. Canelo is closing the distance but Trout takes the round.

10-9 Trout

Round 5

Trout has neutralized Canelo so far with the jab. Canelo gets hit with a right hook midway through the round but comes back with a right to the body followed by a right to the face. Canelo is stalking well. He hits Trout with a good one-two to the head in the last-minute. It’s a tough round to score. But Canelo gets the edge.

10-9 Canelo

Round 6

Canelo hits Trout with the best punch of the fight, a lead right hand. Canelo’s is landing beautifully in this round. With 90 seconds to go, Trout fights back. He backs Canelo to the ropes and lands multiple left hands. Best round so far. Trout lands well in the final minute. Canelo hits Trout with a right uppercut to close the stanza.

Trout 10-9

Round 7

Trout goes down with a straight right-hand! Trout gets up early in the count. Canelo is on the attack. Trout hits him with a counter left. Trout’s legs are weary. The right-hand is finding its target for Canelo. With one minute to go Trout is still throwing strong. Great round for Canelo.

10-8 Canelo

Round 8

Trout looks back to form. He backs Canelo to the ropes and flashes the jab. Trout is in control even though he has not connected with any significant shots.Canelo seems like he is looking for the big shot. Canelo hits Trout with a straight right in the last-minute. But Trout takes it.

10-9 Trout

Round 9

Canelo lands an awesome straight right that froze Trout. But Trout recovers well. More pressure in this round from Canelo but he gets hit with a good left uppercut at the 90 second point. Canelo is moving well but he did not connect enough to win this round. Good defensive round for Trout.

10-9 Trout

Round 10

Trout shows a bit more aggression in Round 10. Canelo jacks Trout with a solid right uppercut but Trout takes it well. It is an Austin Trout round. Canelo’s shots are strong when they connect but he is not busy enough. Trout hits Canelo with a nice straight left to end the round. Good round for Trout.

10-9 Trout

Round 11

Canelo gets aggressive. He lands a straight right on the button that Trout takes well. Then he retreats. Trout’s attack is steady. He lands a straight left that backs Canelo to the ropes. The fighters exchange shots at the sound of the bell. Close round.

Canelo 10-9

Round 12

It’s a competitive fight but Trout’s commitment to the jab is the difference so far. Trout is coming strong to close the show. The WBC has an open scoring system for this fight and Canelo is winning by a wide-margin on the official scorecards. Canelo knows it and he is keeping his guard up. Meanwhile Trout, who is ahead on our scorecard is winning this round with constant pressure.

Trout 10-9

The judges score a unanimous decision 115-112 116-111 and 118-109 for Canelo Alvarez

TSS scored it 115-112 for Austin Trout!

Wow! TSS scored it 115-112, Austin Trout. I scored in round 6-5-1 Trout, but in points 114-113 Canelo. I thought the knockdown got him over the edge. But the scoring by the judges went as I expected. No way was Austin Trout going to win -- not even by kayo. Holla!

SouthPaul says:

Trout missed way too many of those jabs, therefore , he wasn't really controlling much of anything . He came up short round after round... 1-12 .... From beginning to end... he kept throwing the jab but missing over and over. In a close fight , you go with the man who is landing the more authoritative punches. Trout himself knew he lost. Just listen to him in the post fight interview .

SouthPaul says:

I just reread the entire piece wrote by tss. I won't debate the scorecard, that'll be futile for more reasons than one, but I am lmfao seriously because you never mention the number of missed punches ??????? You can't talk this bout up without mentioning the absurd amount of punches that missed their target by both fighters, but specially how Trout kept coming up short with his jab. Seriously, poorly written piece here due insufficient accuracy.

I thought this fight was hard to score. Canelo fell into the trap of trying to outbox a boxer. I scored it 115 -115. Even rounds and close rounds. I'd like to see a rematch not in Texas but Canelo should steer clear of that. Trout showed alot of class in defeat. The deck was stacked against Trout going in. Canelo is the fair haired boy. Floyd will easily beat the Ghost and we have Mayweather-Canelo in the fall. Early pick, Mayweather UD116-112.

Good close fight.

I didn't score it I just chose to watch.

Thinking back it seems trout won more rounds overall

with Canelo landing the more showing punches, although not very often.

Canelo did bob and weave a make trout miss but did little to make him pay.

Wtf is partially open scoring??

Either open score every round or none.

Fucksakes.

Although I felt it was a good fight.

It seemed both guys were terrified to get in the pocket.

It was a bit amateurish. No?

SouthPaul says:

I agree with two things you said, Roast; Canelo definitely tried too hard to portray himself as the red headed version of Sweet Pea Whitaker. Somewhat of poorly fought fight on his part yet at times he out boxed the boxer. He at times out Trouted Austin at his own game. I also agree ..tuff fight to score... Texted a friend who wasn't able to watch...told him a scoring nightmare was unfolding in Texas and it wasn't going to be cuz of inept judges . It simply was a very tuff bout to score and we all need to ease up on pointing the bad stick at the judges. It was doozy of a fight to judge!

SouthPaul says:

I saw the same... Definitely a standoffish type fight for both men. Specially the first 6 rounds . So many punches coming up short of their mark.

Although I felt it was a good fight.

It seemed both guys were terrified to get in the pocket.

It was a bit amateurish. No?

I'm with you there. I don't like even rounds but I found it hard to pick a winner in alot of rounds. I had 3 even and many close. It was a fun fight even if it was not what I expected.

SouthPaul says:

Yea, man, not to be a disagreeing prick but I ain't scoring that many even rounds ...ever.

I feel like torching this peice Mike wrote. Just wait till Deep Water reads this! War!!!!!!!! I envision him throwing that JOhhny Walker bottle across his living room. Lmfao

SouthPaul I think u was right on point with everything u said about the fight. People have to re ally watch the fight cuz in my eyes Canelo clearly won, he made Trout miss so much throughout. Did he make him pay every time no but who does but I think he made him pay enough to win the fight.

Canleo vs Cotto is next I don't think it Mayweather hes way too comfortable at 147.

deepwater says:

I had trout.canelo did not do enough to win and took his foot off the gas. Chavez sr would never take his foot off the gas like that. Besides being the mean looking red head canelo is not special.

SouthPaul says:

He didn't do enuff to win yet he knocked Trout down, rocked him multiple times...made him miss a an enormous amount punches . Okie dokie but I think some of you fight fans need to spend an entire year just watching and studying fights and sideline your predictions. I say that because it's obvious some of your fight prediction egos are Obstructing your better judgment .

deepwater says:

I picked trout but I would admit it if canelo won . It was close enough to be a draw so if its close enough o be a draw both sides can see it their way.The knockdown was legit but trout came back that round. Trout had some moments and was very busy . It was a good fight . Canelo should of stepped on the gas and finished trout . He coasted the last round also because of the open scoring.

SouthPaul says:

I agree, he should've stepped on the gas. If there's a rematch..he'll knock Trout out. No doubt!

SouthPaul says:

Ali

Love the Cotto idea. Fireworks of a match up! Bring it on.