Ghost Day in Las Vegas

BY David A. Avila ON April 16, 2013

Robert Guerrero Workout

LAS VEGAS-Spur of the moment drug testing delayed the media day festivities of Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero on Tuesday at the IBA gym.

More than 100 reporters mulled around the fair-sized boxing gym waiting for the arrival of Team Guerrero past the 12 noon scheduled time. Camera men and women toted their massive cameras and microphones around the facility looking for people to interview.

It’s less than three weeks before Guerrero (31-1-1, 18 Kos) and Floyd Mayweather (43-0, 26 Kos)  meet at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas for their battle of pound for pounders. The hometown fighter Mayweather remains a big favorite to win.

More than a few reporters expressed their surprise at the one-sided odds favoring Mayweather. Slowly, in the past month, the odds have been dropping. Many expect the California boxing crowd to tip the odds to a more reasonable balance.

As reporters waited for Guerrero to arrive they began interviewing each other in a weird frantic way. But when the Gilroy, California native arrived the mass moved toward the prizefighter who was met by a reverend who said a prayer with Guerrero and the many others in the gym.

Guerrero, 30, has been working out feverishly with his father and trainer Ruben Guerrero at the IBA gym and looks like a well-toned middleweight. It’s kind of funny because I vividly remember Guerrero as a 126-pound fighter who was always in a good mood and never seemed to have a problem making the featherweight limit. Now here he is 21 pounds heavier and comfortable in a dangerous weight division that’s four weight divisions higher.

“I just like to fight,” said Guerrero about moving up several weight divisions. “When I first came into the sport I only wanted to be a world champion. Then I wanted to fight the best.”

As reporters looked for the controversial answer to set off a war of words, including insinuations that Mayweather, 36, is deteriorating boxing-wise, Guerrero was quick to head them off.

“Mayweather is still the best,” said Guerrero. “No matter what, Floyd Mayweather’s worst days are other fighter’s best days.”

Guerrero insists that he will not take Mayweather lightly, but he does relish meeting him in the ring in front of millions.

“I’m finally getting a crack at fighting the best,” said Guerrero with a smile. “That’s why I’m here to get in with the best.”

The lithe prizefighter with a goatee has quickly gathered a following after rapidly mowing through two welterweights Selcuk Aydin and Andre Berto. The welterweight division is heavy with talent but this fight between Guerrero and Mayweather is the match that is most intriguing simply because of the danger posed by each fighter.

“My son is ready,” said Ruben Guerrero, Robert’s father and trainer. “He’s strong right now.”

The father paused when someone asked if he’s ready to go 15 rounds?

“Those were the days. Fifteen rounds in the street,” said Ruben Guerrero as he hopped up fired two quick kicks in the air and three punches. The father is still very athletic and like his son, it’s athleticism that is very surprising.

People always remember athletes at their best,

I remember going to fight party to see Tyson vs Lewis,

This was the "I wanna eat your kids version"

Every one who follows boxing should have known Tyson was done.

yet a crowd of over 50 people crowed into one living room, and hanging off the ceiling fan screamed and begged Tyson urging him vehemtly to land one more uppercut as if he still was capable of ending a fighter of Lewis' stature while on the verge of getting TKO'd.

many of them lost so much money the didn't even want to go back home to face their wives.
so they stayed late and drank their sorrows away.

boxing fans seem like the last ones to let go.

Mayweather will have to go to hell and back to win this fight.

SouthPaul says:

That reads damn good, Brown Suga', great story teller you are ..I mean that genuinely and sincerely. You took me back to the night of the fight. I can see Tyson now making his ring entrance...I can also hear TUpac's Ambitionz Of Rider banging in my head. However, comparing MAyweather to Tyson makes no sense whatsoever to this reader. Floyd ain't slipped that far into the abyss, nor has he ever been inconsistent in training, or lost his cool in the ring, neither is Guerrero showed that sort of eliteness to lead me to believe he'll take Floyd to a place he's never been. I don't know you on a personal level , not sure how religious of a man you are, but I am beginning to wonder if you're being swayed by all this god talk coming from the Ghost?

Just as Jesus Marched into Licifer's Helldom and Whupped his evil @ss, Money May is going to make the Cali (humbug) Holy Ghost bear his own cross and KaBOOM! Easily cross his arse out. Easy work for victory 44. Holla!

TioMamoy13 says:

I actually agree with radam...wow that's a first haha. I don't see floyd losing, he has actually turned his training up based on ring reports. It should also be said that it looks as if floyd has gotten in to guerreros head which he was unable to do with cotto.

That reads damn good, Brown Suga', great story teller you are ..I mean that genuinely and sincerely. You took me back to the night of the fight. I can see Tyson now making his ring entrance...I can also hear TUpac's Ambitionz Of Rider banging in my head. However, comparing MAyweather to Tyson makes no sense whatsoever to this reader. Floyd ain't slipped that far into the abyss, nor has he ever been inconsistent in training, or lost his cool in the ring, neither is Guerrero that sort of elite fighter to lead me to believe he'll take Floyd to a place he's never been. I don't know you on a personal level , not sure how religious of a man you are, but I am beginning to wonder if you're being swayed by all this god talk coming from the Ghost?

Not really SP....
I got plenty of religion like everybody else on this site...but I need Jesus as badly as anybody else.
This isn't going to be a Holy war like Evander vs Tyson... When Tyson entered the ring ...entourage dressed in black with a gansterfied mob from the Nation of Islam ... And Evander entering the ring with Donny McKirkland singing the the praises of the Warrior King David while Evander prepared to unleash his pugilistic wrath against the baddest man on the planet.

I just think Gurrero who is weighing a solid 156lb will be bringing the best challenge we have yet to see against Mayweather who rarely gets pushed out of his comforts zone.

DOUBLE JIVE DAT the Cali [humbug] Holy Ghost!!! GBP is claiming that religious-bytch out Guerrero is fighting for the [Born again] Christains. WTF! What type of bigoted-creed shyt is this? Okay that is COOL! I nominate Floyd to be fighting for all the Catholic crusaders. And JIVE Big Money Oscar de la Hoya! I guess that he has abandoned Catholicism.

Money May is going to double fudge the CHG UP! Do it for the Jews and Muslims too, Money May. Since GBP and Guerrero and his pops have call this a religious war. Hehehehe!

I'm just jiving and conniving. Double fudge all the religions up in dat squared jungle. Jesus, Muhammad, Moses, Buddha and all those Holy Bs would get their arses beatdown in that squared jungle. You better have some skills to pay the bills, or you are going DOWN! Holla!

deepwater says:

The creator stays out of it. May the best man win.

Im no longer a Mayweather fan but I just don't see Guerrero being able to hit Floyd enough to win rounds. The ghost just has avg speed & power I seriously doubt he will out smart Mayweather or be able to rough him up like he did Berto.

BTW "Iron" Mike Tyson is a sunni Muslim, and frowns upon the Nation of Islam, which he call mixed in the head and confused. In his own words, "Those (N-words) aren't true-practicing Muslims. They are a cult getting on their hustle. Holla!

TioMamoy13 says:

I think Guerrero messed up when he tried to bring Jesus in to it. I got a collect call from Heaven the other day, and God has better things to do than favor mortals in boxing matches.

SouthPaul says:

I'll admit, I saw one photo of them standing next to each other and Guerrero looked to have a decent size advantage. Who knows, maybe he'll shock the world? I won't be mad. I love a great upset.

Not really SP....
This isn't going to be a Holy war like Evander vs Tyson... When Tyson entered the ring ...entourage dressed in black with a ganster Jed mob from the Nation of Islam ... And Evander entering the ring with Donny McKirkland singing the the praises of the Warrior King David while Evander prepared to unleash his pugilistic wrath against the baddest man on the planet.

The Cali [humbug] Holy Ghost has a size advantage in height, built and weight. But not fighting bigger men. Size doesn't mean syet, especially if you have not been fighting at that weight division. [Money May is the BIGGER man in skills, heart, fight-for-yourself commonsense, actuality and reality of "Hard work and dedication," not in praying to a Jesus, who hasn't been physically around here in over two thousand years, to help him beat another human.] The CHG move up two weight divisions and fought two bums.

Dude has pulled an optical illusion on da know nothings and "Jesus freaks" and fellow humbugs." He cannot and will not match Money May in pop, crack or quickness and speed. Coming up as the CHG done, caused him to be slower in foot movement and in delivery of punching. Don't believe the "I'm-fighting-for-the-Christians" HYPE! Dude is taking another one for the team.

Instead of his momma crying at the cross of his persecution, it will be his whacked-out, talking-more-syet-than-Pops-Joy-May Cali Ghost dad. Hehehehe! Why doesn't that Ghost dad disappear, so we can't see or hear him. His son's Christian chances of winning are a metaphoric Roman cross and a crown of thorns. Holla!

SouthPaul says:

I pretty much agree minus the bum comments. Berto ain't no bum but in the funny words of Fred Sanford ...he's definitely a big ol' dummy with the game plan he tried implementing.

Guerrero to be canvas crucified on May Fourth .

Btw, lmfao@ hasn't been around in 2,000 years. That made me laugh out loud, for real...

A bums is simply a B fighter. He is that. Holla!

Hahahaha! If Money May comes out dressed like a mahogany-colored Roman emperor millionaire slumping on a king-size bed of money -- stacks of hundred-dollar bills -- and has 10 or so of his Godzilla-size bodyguards dressed like Roman servants carrying him to the squared jungle, Big-Poppa God Is Going To Say: "Holy D@MN! My Son Jesus, I Don't Want cha Going down there Messing with those Roman-looking fools and Trying to Help dat Cali [humbug] Holy Ghost win. Let him get his @ss kicked tonight.

"That darn Money May is looking Romanish. And I know how the Romans Whip Your Holy Arse back in da day. Holy Fudge the CHG! Let him fight on his on. Why is the dude begging for My Son's Help! Those dang Romans got Him so badly back in da day that I Haven't Let Him Leave My Holy Side for 2,000 years and some change.

"It is too much drama down there in Sin City, USA, and the whole planet earth! I'm Thinking About Not Letting My Son Leave My Holy Size for another two-thousand years. Tell the CHG to mano-a-mano and STFU! I Or My Son Ain't in it. Pray for something else. Holla!

Floyd is a cherry picker.

What else is new.

He carefully chooses an opponent he knows he can beat.

If he wants to impress me he'd have to out hit me on the baseball field.

And that **** ain't happening

Point being.

Challenge yourself.

TioMamoy13 says:

Floyd is a cherry picker.

What else is new.

He carefully chooses an opponent he knows he can beat.

If he wants to impress me he'd have to out hit me on the baseball field.

And that **** ain't happening

Point being.

Challenge yourself.

At this point floyd has done everything he could have done in 17 years. He chooses, because he is his own boss. We have to respect Floyd's boxing skills. Even radam does lol

I agree with u I think God has better things to do. But I do think it ok to bring God up if your a Christian cuz you are suppose to praise God every chance you get but all you should ask for from God is that no one gets hurt.

deepwater says:

I agree It's cool to bring up God as long as you don't force feed it to people. Living as example is best way to get a point across. Catholics will always be persecuted. Does anyone give rabbi yuri foreman a hard time or how bout extra religious chabad dimytry salita? Any Muslims boxers getting called out or dismissed? Make fun off all the religions or deny all the religions but check out where people focus and you can see if it's hate or not.

The Good Doctor says:

I agree to an extent. I know this sounds crazy, but no one is even close to knowing how good Floyd could have been. I also think he chooses not because he's his own boss, but because he sees finance first, fame second, preservation third, legacy fourth.

Most can't relate the way Robert can.
He watched as his wife was dying helplessly until a path was provided for her recovery.

He feels this miracle is a work of The Lord.

I feel it is too.

With his faith and all he has been thro he truly feels the path is continued as
provided by The Lord.

With all he has been thro there is NOTHInG

And I repeat nothing Floyd can say or do leading up to the fight to get into his head.

Nothin.

Good Doctor, Money May has his priorties 100 Percent BOXING CORRECT! Sugar Ray Robinson, who many says is the GREATEST P4P ALL TIMES, was "finance" FIRST, "fame" SECOND, "perservation" THIRD, and legacy a [BIG] FOURTH. {Even Muhammad [GOAT] Ali was "finance" FIRST. He was just too trusting of promoter "For-the-black-fighters" Don King and the Nation of Islam's so labeled "Black Muslims." Those bytches didn't think BLACK POWER. They were down with O-P-P stealing dat GREEN POWER -- money -- from the GOAT's fighting purses and his bank accounts and pockets. Hehehe!}

SRR REFUSED to fight the super dangerous "Black Murder Row," because in his own words, "There ain't no money in fighting colored fighters." And he knew that "fame" was in fighting shorter, beatable, coming forward Italian fighters. He didn't even dig fighting Jews and Irish, because in his own words: "Dey hardheaded like [N-words] and think dey don't 'pose ta' lose." Just go to the records and take a serious peep of how SRR didn't take rematches -- for about the same money -- against Ralph "Tiger" Jones, Georgie Abrams and Bobby Dykes. SRR didn't give a half of d@mn about pride. With prize, he would not compromize [sic]. His was no doubt -- the back in da day Money May -- fightin' fo' dat moneeey, babeee! Hahaha!

See, "nobody is close" to seeing how good SRR could have been. And that is the nature and business of prizefighting, because everything that Money May has and is doing, every other ATG did it. WOW! It is amazing to me how many bodies and dey flunkies continuously single OUT Money May for being -- in his own words -- "The face of boxing." He has done nothing less or more than SRR, GOAT Ali, Jack Dempsey, Joe Louis, Marvin Hagler, Sugar Ray Leonard, Benny Leonard. And I can name tons of ATGs more. They all got on their Money May -- PRIZEFIGHTING! Picking the money and easier fights. If the money was right, the fight was not in sight. And if the money was right, and the opponent was tight, that fight too was not in sight. (Why take an arse thrashing for 50mil in one life-and-death fight, when you can have about four or five easy 30mil bouts for a total of about 120mil plus? I ain't got nuthin' [sic] but luv for Money May's sharpness of fight game and money-making game. Big salutes to him!)

Legacy takes care of itself. The nowadays fans and fanfaronades, writers, fanboys and groupies don't choose how the future will think in looking back. Holla!

SouthPaul says:

The Lord gets too much credit. I say all praise to the medical team that brought back Mrs' Guerrero from the brink of death. Bowing down to even the janitor who squeaks out a measly living, all praise to him for cleaning up after her. This is the mindset I took when making my way back from a horrific accident . I was in awe of those people. To them I owe a life time or gratitude .

dino da vinci says:

Radam. I love you. Radam I don't agree AT ALL. Just look at Hagler. No one ever fought (EVER!!!) who had to fight more beasts in his rise to the top. Fought everyone. Ducked no one. Please, don't Donald Curry me here. If Marvin hit Donald Curry in Las Vegas, they would of stopped Curry in Los Angeles for speeding. Ray Leonard. Who'd he duck? And let me tell you, Leonard was as good as anyone who ever fought. Short list all-time great. Look at that resume. Who'd he duck?

The Lord gets too much credit. I say all praise to the medical team that brought back Mrs' Guerrero from the brink of death. Bowing down to even the janitor who squeaks out a measly living, all praise to him for cleaning up after her. This is the mindset I took when making my way back from a horrific accident . I was in awe of those people. To them I owe a life time of gratitude . It's in my opinion both Robert and his wife should name drop some of those individuals but hey...if they want to give all praise to their lord so be it.... I ain't mad. Whatever gets you thru your tuff day. That's wassssup.

Makes sense.

The doctors and medical team cannot be given enough credit.

Maybe God provided the path to find a bone marrow donor on the other side

of the world

SouthPaul is my BOIIIII! He is fast on da wits. He reminds me of several smooth operation Mowtown hits. Hehehehe! Holla!

Da luv back ta ya, ddv, once the Marvelous One learned about the moolah that he could demand, he would fight no chump, champ or contender for pride. After he started making in da phat mils, and the Sugarman of the 80s would not give him a chance for the BIG PAY BACK and super BIG PAY purse increase, the MO said double fudge da game! "I'm moving to Italy and become an action movie star." And he DID! [He even gave me a bit part in one of his movies in the Pilipinas.] TMO is my BOIII! Because he was about the BIG PAY in the END! Not the small PRIDE fighting that he did in the start of his glorious boxing career.

The powers that be didn't do TMO money right, so he took a RIDE. And it was not about boxing honey, it was about da MONEY! He didn't need Sugar Ray Leonard to keep him in the play. He needed SRL to get him bigger, bigger PAY! And when that prizefight couldn't happen, down the Marvelous One let the boxing mitts LAY [sic].

HAHAHHAHA! That was a good one about Don "The Texas Cobra" Curry. And I roger you about TMO beating TTC, but he did push him to the side for MONEY! Ducking for BIGGER BLING, BLING is okay with this ding-a-ling. Hehe! Holla!

The Good Doctor says:

My rhythmic friend.....

I appreciate your fervor but I gotta call you to the mat on this one. First I will say that I am not criticizing Mayweather for his approach. Heck, I would probably do the same if I were in his position. However, boxing is about the only sport where the merit of your competition means as much or even more than championships and titles.

Does everyone have a duck, miss, or should have been or two on their resume? More than likely yes. Now when looking at a few who you named, look at who they DID fight:

SRR: Lamatta, Olson, Armstrong, Galivan ( I dont count Basillo as Basillo was child-like in size compared to him)

Ali: Shavers, Norton, Young, Frazier, Foreman, Foster, Liston

Hagler: Hearns, Ray Leonard, Duran

All of the above fought guys at their weights, in or very near their prime. I like Floyd but I will say it again FLOYD HAS NOT FOUGHT A PRIME FIGHTER AT THEIR WEIGHT SINCE CHICO IN 2001. It would also be different if he was a victim of the Klitchsko curse where there is no one really that good for him to fight but as I have also stated before here is the list of who he could of fought and did not.

Prime Cotto, Prime Shane, Paul Williams, Prime Margarito, Tszyu, Marquez @ featherweight, Prime Casamayor, Prime Clottey, Pac-Man, Morales @ Featherweight, Barrera @ Featherweight, Vernon Forrest, Winky Wright,

Now compare that to what his list of who he did fight from 01 to now it is laughable. The thing that really sucks about this is that I got Floyd in every single fight against the above listed. Even now, with Martinez, a good but not great Manny, an undefeated titlist in Bradley, Trout, Canelo, even Khan, out there he attempts to force Alexander down our throats and when the public vomited he gave us Guerrero. Sorry my lyrically inspired friend, he falls short. Unbelievably defensive.....yes, undeniable speed..............yes, unquestioned work ethic..............no doubt but he has given us no one to hang our hat on in over 10 years.

Wow! I have a retort for you, but inattention blinding would keep you from seeing because you are just looking. For instance, everyone of those opponents you named for Marvelous Marvin Hagler, they came up in weight to fight a career middleweight. And with Sugar Ray Robinson, both Armstrong and Kid Gavilan came up in weight. And Bobo Olson and Jake LaMotto were Five inches plus shorter than he was. And they were straight bangers. And the Sugarman still ducked the "Black Murder Row. I will leave the GOAT Ali out for the time being. Holla!

The Good Doctor says:

Only thing blinding me is the facts. First don't use the fact that Ray Leonard, Hearns, and Duran moving up disregard the fact that they were great fighters and I mean great. Secondly, Hearns and Leonard were as long or longer and taller than Hagler and weighed the same as Hagler on fight night. Also, when Hearns fought Hagler he had 3 middleweight fights under his belt. With Robinson, don't forget that he moved down to beat Gavilan in a return match and Armstrong did not move up. They fought at junior welter where each had been for their previous fights. In addition, Bobo is listed at 5-10 and a half with SRR being 5 11. Lamotta is also listed depending on where you look between 5-8 and a half to 5-9 depending on who you ask and which records you look at so don't make it sound as if they were tiny.

The facts are the facts man. Mayweather has 10+ greats he could have fought and substituted with at best some b level fighters. Did SRR miss the black murderers row. Sure. You still can't say that he did not beat some of the greats. Should Ray Leonard have fought "the hawk"? Yeah probably so. That does not remove Hearns multiple times, Hagler, Duran, or Benitez. Everyone has misses from the beginning of time but greats have multiple fights that they can point to and say I beat at least a B+ level fighter. For money Mayweather, I give you Chico (quiet as kept, he had really beaten no big time fighters before facing Mayweather) but after that who are you pointing to?

People are always using the "Moving up" excuse on Money May. He, too, is a great fighter. And by the way, "HEIGHTS" are always exaggerated in boxing. Just ask anyone in the game or around it. Bobo's -- an Hawaiin -- who I know, true height was 5'7 and a flea's @ss. Lamotta's -- who I know and have met and love dearly, and he is still kicking at 94 years old or so -- true height was 5'6 and a half. He has said that a million times and so does army records indicate. The U.S. military doesn't with height and weight, just age. Now boxing plays it all.

Wow! Good Doctor! Making fighters bigger than they are is good promotion. Even Money May is not 5-foot-8, as he is listed as. Ask any muthasucka and his puppy in and around da legal mayhem biz. And Pops Joy Mays hollers dat often! They will clearly tell you that Money May is not even 5-foot-7. I'm a REAL BOXER in the REAL world of the REAL hurt business. I syet you not!

And, YUP! BTW, Rev. Homicide Hank Armstrong -- I met the great as a toddler -- was never a true welterweight. He simply fought at welterweight and even middleweight. But he was truthfully a lightweight to the end of his career. He fought up in weight to get his purse up in pay. Something else that happens, and happened in boxing back in da day, is that they inflated your weight when you are/were from smaller division fighting in a larger one.

Hey, Doc! Get your focus off me. And ask the reader/poster/boxer deepwater how the game is played. And was played! I've won world titles in the amateurs and pros when I could've fought two weight division below from what I fought. I fought in bigger weights because the moolah was bigger. And it is PRIZEfighting, not PRIDE jive.

Don't believe everything that you read about the game -- it ain't legit, it is full of sh*t! You need to know what goes on in the backrooms, siderooms, bathroom, alley, and even a rally on da hill. Now I know that you hate to shallow that pill. But it is all about informing, because no time soon will the game be reforming. Boxing is like politics --D@mn straight-UP corrupted and SEEDY to da crack of the earth. So take a breath! Come up, and BREATHE! Holla!

The Good Doctor says:

No one is questioning you, I've read what you've accomplished and it's beautiful, and happy for you. Anyone that can put the trunks and gloves on gets my utmost respect. I am questioning your views on Mayweather that's it. Most of your arguements have been conjecture and subjectivity, not logic or fact in response. I appreciate the insight and I know very much about how the game is played but that is not at all the issue.

I agree with you 100 percent. Opinions on all boxers are conjecture and subjectivity and not logic based on your definition. That is why the game is called sweet science, not hard or pure science. Or mixed sciences of fighting like the MMA, which to me STINKS. BUT to other people, it's as valuable as the late, great actress Elisabeth Taylor's minks. Holla!