PREDICTION PAGE: Donaire or Rigondeaux?

BY Michael Woods ON April 13, 2013

Donaire Rigondeaux final PC 130410 002aWho do you like, fight fans? Do you see the Filipino-American superstar Nonito Donaire having his hand raised at the end of the night in NY, or will the Cuban defector Guillermo Rigondeaux, an amateur legend, get the nod at Radio City Music Hall, and on HBO?

What sort of fight will unfold? Will both men wait for that perfect opening for a few rounds, or will a firefight break out from the get go? Can Rigo find a home for that slingshot left hand? Will Donaire be able to touch Rigo with his nasty hook? Do you suspect that his jab will play a large part in piling up points? Will Rigo concentrate more on defense than offense if he feels Donaire's power early on? Some shots that usually work for Nonito (seen above left, with Rigo, right, in Chris Farina-Top Rank photo) likely won't against the crafty Cuban; will he be able to shift gears, find things that will work?

Drop your pred in our Forum, fight fans and do remember to check in over at BoxingChannel.TV for prefight and postfight coverage, in addition to TSS.

TioMamoy13 says:

I'm going to say close fight, rigo by decision. Counter punching, straight shots up the middle, catching a wild donaire off balance or I could be totally wrong and donaire knocks him out lol

Im going to say Donaire by UD I think Rigo will be too defensive and not throws enough punches to win the fight.

Rigor knows how to keep score ...and I'm expecting him be able to rise to the level of opposition.
Donaire is the obvious favorite. Lethal with the uppercut ...hook....and possessing a potent right hand.
Rigo will have to be something special to win.
He's going to have to snatch the honeycomb from the mouth of the Lion.
I think we may see that happen tonight...give me Rigor for the upset win.
Mr Lee...put me a plate on standby just in case.

SouthPaul says:

Rigo already done something special when he navigated his inner tube 90 miles across the ocean from Cuba to Florida. The hard work is done. Tonight, just be yourself, Rigo, and more of it. Set the pace. Don't let Donaire get in any sort of comfort zone. Guerrilla warfare!

TioMamoy13 says:

@southpaul
Lmao!! Good point

Rigo is getting KTFO! He may last nine or 10 rounds by bambi-bytch fighting and bunny-hopping around that squared jungle. But he is no Peter Cottontail. And "The Filipino Flash"[es'] bullet-and-nuke shots will rain on him like hail. Rigo will be another kayoed muthasucka on TFF's viciously-kayoed-another-one TRAIL. Holla!

Shoulder Roll Defense says:

I'm as high on Rigo as some TSS posters are on GGG. Donaire hasn't ever faced a skilled counter puncher like Rigondeaux! If he opens up and gets wide with his punches he will get countered to death all night. I'm predicting that Donaire will touch the canvas tonight and ultimately lose by decision.

WOW! I know birds of a ___ flop together. And now Sugar Ray Robinson is turning in his grave straight UP FOR REAL! But is that only when I compare him to a nowadays fighter or 1980s-1990s fighters? I get drill something like _____ for comparing Money May, Roy Jones Jr, the late, great Hector Camacho and the "Black Murder Row" of the Sugarman's era to him. But B-Sug can compare sorry-arse, no-fighting, just-above-a-bum, just-in-name 3G to him, and all the haters -- SRD, Matthew and the birdbrained dude and a few more TSS reader -- give him a pass.

I wonder why? Unforgivable double standards and flopping tightly together. "Only in America," bitting off Don King. He told me a long time ago that Yanks are of double bullsyetogy and syet. Hehehe! Holla!

TioMamoy13 says:

I could also see the possibility of a draw...anyone see that..

spit bucket says:

Haven't seen much of Rigondeaux except for highlight spots. So this post is probably useless... But From what I have seen, Rigo seems to throw wider than Donaire, also Donaire's hooks are tight & hard. I hope it's a good one tonight . Based on what I've seen this year from Nonito, i'll pick him to win. Interesting that so many are picking Rigondeaux to beat one of the top p4P fighters in the sport. You must know something I don't. because of the interest on this board, and general consensus that Rigo has a good chance of winning, I'm really looking forward to this fight now!

No inside information spit bucket... A win by Donaire is the most likely outcome... I'm going on a guess that Rigor only brings out his best against the best boxers on the championship level. Some guys only look good against Champions.
If I'm wrong then its only boxing ..l'll enjoy the fight regardless of the outcome based on the sheer magnitude of the skill involved.

Buzz Murdock says:

Donaire should beat Rigondeaux. They all seem to have a plan till Nonito hits them...Then it's stay way from the flash, or get annihilated.

It's called colorism, Spit bucket. In a hundred years since "Unforgivable Blackness" heavyweight world champion Jack Johnson, nothing has changed. Yank fanfaronades will flop together because appearance and hate and dislike the out-of-group boxer. The white fans did it over a 100 years ago against "Mr. Jack. And ironically that hatred of him caused him to take a dive in Cuba to give the world title back to a white man.

In the early 1980s, fast-rising Tony Ayala was called all types of names for his skills and tatents that didn't fit into the black Americans' stereotypes and boxing-racial-thinking superiority. See by the 1980s, blacks were the new-snake racists, as the white Americans were doing Jack Johnson's era.

Nowadays, these snake racists suffered from alternate reality and inattention blindness because they are hating the rise of Pinoys just as much as white American hated the rise of black Jack Johnson 105 years ago. American blacks -- the ones with superior-race-thinking tudes -- see the blackness of Rigo and are hating the rising TIGER of the Pilipinas and Asia. Though they will never have cojones to tell the truth about their hatred and prejudices. If this were a white Cuban fighting, there would not be an iota of a thought about giving the Cuban amateur a chance of pulling off an upset. [Look how this near 70-year-old Negro under the pseudonym TioMamoy13 is stalking me. WHY IS THAT? Clearly, he's racist with issues.] Holla!

TioMamoy13 says:

@radam
You need help lil homie. Nobody here is racist, u just sit behind a desk and talk trash, ur a fantasy tough guy like ur heroes Jackie chan. Listen give it a rest and talk boxing. U clearly are insecure from years of not feeling significant. Keep it boxing flip.

Shoulder Roll Defense says:

Nonito is definitely the betting favorite, but the die hard boxing fans know that Rigo is a serious threat. You are right, Nonito can box and be technical, but he also has a tendency of dropping his hands and lunging in with punches. Nonito will get embarassed if he doesn't stay disciplined and technically sound at all times. Rigo is arguably the best counter puncher in fight game right now.

Shoulder Roll Defense says:

I don't give any posters a pass that think GGG is a great boxer. I totally disagree at this point in time because GGG hasn't fought any "A" level competition yet. I don't hate brother, I keep it real. I like Donaire, but he better have a game plan because Rigo is the real deal. I will eat two servings of crow if I am wrong, but my TSS predicitions illustrate that I am usually right. Holla!

SouthPaul says:

The carribean swells are about to come crashing in on Donaire. Accurate counter punches, uncomfortable debilitating body shots will have him out on his knees no later than 8 rounds .

TioMamoy13 says:

I definitely agree that GGG has not proven anything. Lets see him against a slick boxer first. I think him vs JCC Jr would actually be a great fight. I think ward at 168 and even Sergio would give him fits...GGG got hit a lot the last fight

Shoulder Roll Defense says:

Hey Radam G, I have a big plate of Crow for you. Eat up and enjoy!

I thought he would win but not this easy.

Hey SRD... GGG is like Rigo in the sense that he has a real artistry to his craft.
But you have to adapt your perspective to see it.

Now that GGG is no longer fighting in obscurity his talent will now be apparent to fans world wide.
Within 6 months all the doubters will be gone

Make that a little plate. Rigo fought like an amateur and will be dry docked on the BIG money shows. Holla!

SouthPaul says:

Forgivable punch output for only being a dozen pro fights in but not for too long . More money , more punches .

TioMamoy13 says:

Wow donaire only landed 82 punches

SouthPaul says:

Not sure who you are exactly but doubting you're Tio Mamoy . For that your hands should be broken with a sledge hammer for mocking the mans name then you should be banned from TSS then your laptop, iPad, whatever it be melted in a furnace .

maromero says:

I never really liked Donaires style, he looks real sloppy often compared to top ten P4P fighters.His power almost bailed him out but Rigo was in the zone.Donaire went swimming in the bermuda triangle and he lost his belt.

maromero says:

TioMamoy13 says:

@maromero
Shades of a lighter mayweather in the cubano, putting on a boxing clinic to donaire, I thought Rigondeaux but was surprised how much he took apart donaire.

Lack of quality time with Garcia in Oxnard and being overworked by bobby arum took its toll nonito. Top rank is fudging itself up and destroying its own stars.

Shoulder Roll Defense says:

I thought he would win but not this easy.

But you have to adapt your perspective to see it.

Within 6 months all the doubters will be gone

I hear you B-Sug. I'm on the fence about GGG and must admit that I am a little biased towards prizefighters that embody the true essence of the "sweet science," which is hit and not get hit. GGG is powerful, but gets hit a little too much for my taste. I'm from the Pernell Whitaker, Floyd Mayweather jr., Winky Wright, Wilfredo Benitez, Bernard Hopkins, and James Toney school of boxing. I agree with Andre Ward when he stated that GGG's defense has wholes in it that will be exploited against elite competition. So far GGG's defense has mainly been his offense and I want to see how he adjust when he faces a fighter that is as offensively gifted as he is!

Hahahaha! Maromero, good ONE! Now I'm sitting on the dock of the bay, watching the time roll away. JunJun let the Cuban take away the play. So I hear what you say. That was witty. I didn't lose that much moola, so I'm not feeling sh¡++y. Holla!

TioMamoy13 says:

@maromero

Donaire is exciting but throws a lot of punches off balance and gets wild at times, similar to manny vs Erik morales I. Either way, not training with Robert Garcia in Oxnard and bowing to the whims of bobby arum when he could have fought Abner mares, cost him.