Final Presser Report For #DonaireRigondeaux

BY Michael Woods ON April 10, 2013

Donaire Rigondeaux final PC 130410 001aNonito Donaire admitted to me that people who are thinking he might be vulnerable at the hands of Guillermo Rigondeaux on Saturday night in New York City have a point. He's at a high point, ready to accept the Boxing Writers Association of America's Fighter of the Year award at the BWAA dinner on Thursday night in NYC, and he and the wife are expecting their first child in July. So he's got things on his mind, apart from ring matters, and he's done the ascent of a monumental mountain.

His foe, though, has enjoyed amateur accolades, but desires to get that same acclaim as a professional. Nevertheless, Donaire (seen in above Chris Farina-Top Rank photo, with Rigo) told TSS at the Wednesday press conference held at Madison Square Garden to hype his Saturday clash, which will run on HBO (11 PM ET start) that he isn't distracted.

No, he told me, leaving camp to go check on my wife, and hear the baby's heart beat will not keep him from doing what he needs to do against Rigondeaux.

The Filipino born 122 pound champ said he achieved a "moral victory" during the staredown at MSG. He noted that Rigo broke eye contact, and sent signals that he wanted to interrupt the staring contest. Round one went to Donaire, the favorite implied.

Donaire has said he owed NYC fight fans a good showing and told me he thinks Rigo will not be in run or clutch or overt avoidance mode. "It could end early, in the first couple rounds," Donaire told me.

Rigo, not a long winded type, said he expected to become a world champ on Saturday, and his manager, Irishman Gary Hyde, said there would be a "Rigolution" unfolding at Radio City this weekend.

Promoter Bob Arum showed no effects from jet lag, half a week after his Macau promotion, which ran on HBO2. At the mike, he lauded both fighters for doing PED testing, with VADA, and said he'd push for all headliners in bouts of this magnitude to do VADA testing, to insure a clean sport.

The promoter always impresses me with his ability to shift with the moods and rhythms of the times. He spoke of a recent meal in Beijing, at which he was shocked to learn that nobody in the room had heard of Frank Sinatra, or Elvis Presley. Then he brought up "50 Cent" and all the young uns knew what he was talking about. And guess who Arum has been doing co-promotions with, of late? The rapper-headphone maker-fight promoter, 50 Cent. He said jet lag is for sissies, during a post-presser chat with a few writers, and that, "if you're jet lagged it's your own effin fault."

The promoter said he expects the venue to be sold out, and reminded all that HBO, who he complimented for a recent shift toward superlative decision-making ie announcing they'd no longer buy Golden Boy fights, will start their show at 11 PM Eastern.

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING: NONITO DONAIRE VS. GUILLERMO RIGONDEAUX is seen SATURDAY, APRIL 13 at 11:00 p.m. (live ET/tape-delayed PT), exclusively on HBO. The HBO broadcast team of Jim Lampley, Max Kellerman and Roy Jones Jr. will be ringside for the event, which will be available in HDTV, closed-captioned for the hearing-impaired and presented in Spanish on HBO Latino.

Other HBO playdates: April 14 (8:30 a.m.) and 15 (midnight)

HBO2 playdates: April 14 (2:15 p.m.) and 16 (11:30 p.m.)

Follow Woods on Twitter here.

KeyWORD was with VADA! BOTH pugilists are clean and seriously mean. And "The Filipino Flash" is going crush "Rigolution" like a jelly bean.

The only upset, that there be, will be haters with upset stomachs. Because they cannot handle TFF Time, Pinoy Time, Asian TIme!

Nothing remains the same. Haters! Get use to who are now running the pound-4-pound whup-an-@$$ game. Holla!

Donaire don't get too crazy

Donaire don't get too crazy

most fighter say fighting for the gold is the epitome of glory...

to showcase your talents in the largest sports venue in the world is like an extensive college education.

I can and will prepare you for anything.

So we know that Rigo will be Ready to produce his best work.

Donaire, a very very special fighter himself gets an A+ for taking this assignment and is 2 to 1 on paper to school Rigo on what it means to fight at the top level in the pros.

The left hook, is lethal... and El Chakal must pit his extensive boxing prowess against one of the most dangerous boxers ever to submit to a VADA test.

The fighters are Ready... the Fans are Ready...

The Spring thaw is here,... yes even my coconut grease has finally melted so I'm ready.

truthfully either one of these champions can win this fight in the blink of an eye.

I'm going way out on a thin slippery elm branch and say I think we'll see and upset.

Oh Snap!... please RG,.. don't call me a Hater,... anything but that.... lol

ultimoshogun says:

Both of these fighters present the biggest challenge of the other's career. To me its a pick 'em fight, i'm a fan of both and just anxious to see how this matchup plays out in the ring!

me too,... Donaire is one of my favorites.. and Rigo is hard to know because of the language barrier..but I like the way he creeps and dances around the ring... mesmerizing his opponets, and then dishing out the pain (but in this fight, the pain can and probably will flow both ways)

Floyd Mayweather Jr says Donaire will win by crushing KO.

Basically I feel privileged to see of fight of this magnitude... and they are both winners in my eyes for stepping up to the challenge.

To each his own. A lot of people believe what they believe because the way that they were reared or something that they went through with a certain ethnicity. This is not the first time you pick against "The Filipino Flash." Check out some of your posts. And jt is all right to be a hater. Just man up! Call a spade a spade. If it is a Pinoy, OUT you want him paid. But he will just win and get paid. Hehehe! Holla!

ultimoshogun says:

[video] http://youtu.be/obpFz2fmKcU[/video] This isn't one of GP's, but I love the vintage style this guy went with and had to share.

[QUOTE=Radam G;28634]To each his own. A lot of people believe what they believe because the way that they were reared or something that they went through with a certain ethnicity. This is not the first time you pick against "The Filipino Flash." Check out some of your posts. And it is all right to be a hater. Just man up! Call a spade a spade. If it is a Pinoy, OUT you want him laid. But he will just win and get paid. Hehehe! Holla![/QUOTE]

That's not exactly true RG,... Donaire has yet to fight anyone that's had a chance to win against his talent.... from Montiel to the present, except Rigo.

It's not always about the Pinoy or you,

those are superficial circumstances that can't be changed.

the outcome will be decided by who the better boxer is.

BTW I prefer chess or dominoes to spades and bid wiz.

Lets hope we can get Mr Lee back to serve crow after the fight.

It's not always about the Pinoy or you,

those are superficial circumstances that can't be changed.

the outcome will be decided by who the better boxer is.

BTW I prefer chess or dominoes to spades and bid wiz.

Lets hope we can get Mr Lee back to serve crow after the fight.

YUP! The best fighter "The Filipino Flash" is going to whup dat ancient arse of Rigo. This is real life and strife. Not talking, but straight-up arse walking into the squared jungle that reveals a soul like a god that you cannot see cannot. In dat squared jungle, an arse is by itself and on the spot. And it is never about me or being Pinoy. Don't hate. Holla!

[QUOTE=the Roast;28637]I don't know. Call me crazy but I'm feeling Donaire by one punch KO in round 1. Remember Nunn-Kalambay? '89ish? That's whats up.[/QUOTE]

Donaire can score a ko in any round that's what makes this fight so awesome..

[quote=brownsugar;28646]donaire can score a ko in any round that's what makes this fight so awesome..

bold statement!!!

I want everybody who has this a pick em fight or has Rigo to pull off the upset to remember y'all post. Cause what happens alot of the time is fighters start to lose and then 5 years later y'all call them nobodies. Remember all the fight behind the Montiel fight alot of ppl thought it was a pick em fight but now that Montiel hasn't done nothing sense ppl won't give him full credit maybe it's because the flash had him thinking he was in a swimming pool when he hit him with that left hook lol

Carmine Cas says:

ultimoshogun says:

I can't say that i'd be surprised Roast, when a fighter possesses an explosive left hook like the Filipino Flash anything can happen if they time it right. I'm inclined to believe Rigondeaux has done his homework and avoids becoming another highlight reel KO though. Ali, whoever wins will get full credit from me.

jzzy says:

Rigo hasn't fought enough as a pro or been extended in a long fight. Donaire will take him out in the late
rounds because of superior strength and pro savvy.

JunJun -- The Filipino Flash -- is definitely the better boxer, not fighter. Da Manny is the better fighter. TFF has never been a good fighter. In the amateurs, when you could force him to fight, you could beat him. But let him BOX, he will torch and torpedo dat arse.

If the ancient Jamaican Cuban can get JunJun to not box, but fight, the old-arse Cuban will pull off an upset. But JunJun is a grown-arse man does not do amateur-fighting syet anymore. So Rigo's chances of winning are none and zero.

You cannot compare TFF and Da Manny. They are vastly different. You don't comparean apple with a walnut. They have different tastes and functions. Holla!

Carmine Cas says:

Yes but one has no choice but to compare them when they are on the p4p list and are both pinoy

deepwater says:

[QUOTE=ali;28648]I want everybody who has this a pick em fight or has Rigo to pull off the upset to remember y'all post. Cause what happens alot of the time is fighters start to lose and then 5 years later y'all call them nobodies. Remember all the hype behind the Montiel fight alot of ppl thought it was a pick em fight but now that Montiel hasn't done nothing since ppl won't give him full credit. Maybe it's because the flash had him thinking he was in a swimming pool when he hit him with that left hook lol[/QUOTE]

I have $ on Rigo because of the long odds I got.The Cuban has a chance to run and counter when Donaire goes after him. I like Donaire better and want him to beat up the Cuban because of the woman bashing thing Rigo's camp did on one of Donaires female cousins. bill maher hates woman also. Donaire is fighting to knock all the bill maher hate out.

Quit being ethnocentric, C Cas. You don't do that with fighters who are white, black, Mexican, Native American, Korean, Japanese, the varies Europeans and/or Puerta Rican. I don't see anybody comparing the K-bros/docs to anybody from their ethnicity that way. Nobody is doing that with the red-headed hype Canelo and Cry-baby Marquez.

Brian Viloria is a P4P, even though he just got beat. Why didn't you throw that Pinoy in the mix. He whup the @sses of "The Filipino Flash and the brother -- The Filipino Bomber -- of The Filipino Flash in the amateurs.

C Cas, just admit that you are instigating. But that it on you. I'm not BUZZED by it. I know the deal of covert and subliminal bullsyet that superior-thinking ethnic-challenged readers pull. Even as a boxer -- amateur and professional -- or just as an everyday person when I'm on the U.S. mainland, I have to put up with lament, coverted and subliminal bullsyetology and ethnic baiting coming my way. Holla!

dino da vinci says:

[QUOTE=Carmine Cas;28650]I can see the upset but I can also see Donaire getting the knock out early. Hey Radam Nonito is def the better fighter of the two Filipino boxers; him and manny[/QUOTE]

I agree with Carmine. I believe Nonito the more complete of the two fighters. Has been that way for quite a while now.

dino da vinci says:

Radam, you'd make a great case study.

I know! We ride that way from the P-Islands. Holla!

[How does that sound?] Holla!

dino da vinci says:

[QUOTE=Radam G;28694]Andre "SOG" Ward is the def the better of the two mixed-race boxers; [he] and David "Hayemaker" Haye.

[How does that sound?] Holla![/QUOTE]

OK, Radam G, babee, I'll bite. (heh, heh, heh). What's SOG's pedigree? (Get it? Bite? Pedigree?)

Robert "The (humbug) Ghost" Guerrero is def the better of the Mexican American boxers fighting Money May; [he] and "Vicious" Victor Ortiz. But Money May is going to still beat that arse. Holla!

Yuki Gamboa is def the better fighter of the two Cubans; [he] and Rigo. I won't be surprised to see the Cuban QUIT. And of him, "The Filipino Flash is going to beat da syet. Holla!

Money May is def the better fighter of the two black boxers (he) and Broner. Holla!

maromero says:

manny is still the second biggest name in boxing,Im a boxing fan in general.Floyd is really going to try and avoid a situation like the one Manny got in to.Which means he will avoid Canelo, you guys heard that comment when he said Cotto made him want to quit boxing.Hey who knows even Canelo might lose but he is taking on a real threat.