Andre Ward Likely To Return in August

BY Michael Woods ON April 05, 2013

andre ward, dan goossen, michael woods, bernard hopkins, carl froch, mikkel kessler, robert stieglitz, tim bradley"Hey Dan Goossen, it's Mike Woods, in Brooklyn, I'm calling because I know you promote the guy who a few people think might be the most talented fighter on the planet, and I'm wondering when he's going to fight again," I said to Dan Goossen on Friday afternoon.

"I don't think I might, I know I do, Michael," said the promoter. "And we're just getting into that. Sometime late summer."

Andre Ward had whipped up legit buzz in his last outing, taking apart Chad Dawson, making Chad look bad with some bad-ass attitude, some vicious intentions, and notching a TKO10 victory. Yes, count me among the folks who weren't that enthused with a January date with Kelly Pavlik, who I expected to get chopped up by the pugilist specialist. That bout didn't go down, because the 29-year-old Ward tore up his right shoulder in late December, ahead of the Jan. 26 Pavlik bout. He had surgery on Jan. 4 and his rehab has been progressing nicely, the promoter told TSS. "I would say August is the target."

And will he be thrown in with a A grade guy, or someone of a lesser ilk?

"Andre has always taken on all the challenges but it's my job to be cognizant that he just had major surgery. We could look for gangbusters first thing out of the box or someone more reflective of Andre's abilities where he's coming from."

The Dawson fight went down last September, so that would be almost a full year away from the ring; expect the WBC and WBA 168 champ Ward to be tested by a top 25 type before he seeks to lock down bigger prey.

Bigger prey like...maybe...Bernard Hopkins? "He's open to fighting Hopkins," Goossen said. "He's open to fighting anyone. He'd have no problem fighting another world champion." Goossen said that it would make sense to see how the Froch-Kessler rematch goes down, and then the Pascal-Bute tussle. "I think the perfect scenario would be let the winners fight, and that winner has earned the right to get in the ring with Andre. If they went through that gauntlet, they'd earn that right, they'd be a threat. It would be a mini version of the Super Six."

I'm not certain how it'd work, who'd fight at 168, who at 175, or who'd look for a catchweight, in that scenario. Goossen, who has run many a rodeo in his time, noted that we've all been reminded recently that the deck can get shuffled in a flash, and new faces can emerge and tantalize fight fans. Case in point? "Everyone was down on Tim Bradley, now he's one of the greatest things going...it's always changing. "And Robert Stieglitz took apart Arthur Abraham, people didn't expect that to happen. Stieglitz, we're open to everything. Andre has said to me, there's only one requirement, make sure they got a ring there. And we'd be happy to test Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., too."

I confess I liked the buzzsaw action of Stieglitz against Abraham on March 23; I'd be fine with Ward (26-0 with 14 KOs) heading to Germany and trying to collect Stieglitz' WBO super middle belt.

Readers, you always do a good job doing keyboard matchmaking. Who do you want to see Ward fight in the next few fights?

Follow Woods on Twitter.

Not sure who I want to see Ward fight next but I know I will be looking forward to it

dino da vinci says:

Agreed. We already know he's fearless and has no qualms fighting the very best. It's starting to get crowded at the top of the food chain with Mayweather, Marquez, Martinez, Donaire, And of course SOG.

I love Andre Ward. It's hard not to. But I have a feeling injuries are going to haunt him to the end of his career. Injuries, much like having a questionable chin, have no real solution. Over the years I've seen fighters who can't stay healthy (which then gets compounded as they get older). You learn a lot about a fighter who has nagging injuries. Some train around them, others Chicken Little it and prefer not to train at all. History has taught us when it comes to injuries it's (almost always) the ones that refuse to leave the gym that make all the noise.

Bernie Campbell says:

Howabout Librado Andraede as a tuneup and that rock hard chin of his! Would Goosen take a walk on the wild side on that one!

deepwater says:

let him beat up chavez jr then fight the winner of froch kessler which will be froch by ko. froch ward 2 mega fight

hey Dino,.. you didn't mention GGG,... isn't he worthy of a place on your list yet?

Carmine Cas says:

How about Adonis Stevenson, I know he's fighting Dawson soon and the timing can be off but that would be an exciting fight

deepwater says:

ignore adonis stevenson. he is a convicted pedophile and pimp. give him no attention and no $