Coverage From Wednesday 50 Cent-Dibella-Dib-Gradovich Presser

BY Michael Woods ON February 27, 2013

50 Cent-DibellaDib, 50 Cent, Dibella and Gradovich pose in NYC Wednesday, ahead of the Friday Foxwoods/ESPN card. (Ed Diller)

If you were expecting 50 Cent to walk into the Strand Hotel in midtown NYC packin' a 9 with a posse of menacing thugs in tow, talking eff-bomb laden menacing trash, you'd have been mistaken this afternoon. The Queens native is doing the boxing promotion thing, adding that to his resume, to go with rapper, and all-around enterpeneur who has set up nice revenue streams from his energy shot line, his headphones and who also made a killing on an early investment in a beverage company which was bought out by Coke. Will the boxing promotion foray be generating him more green or leave him in the red, and looking for another arena to conquer after a spell? That remains to be seen, but I've been impressed with how 50 has been soaking up knowledge of industry vets, rather than parachuting in with the belief that his skill set and wisdom in other realms will necesarily translate into the boxing world.

50 co-promotes a card at Foxwoods in Connecticut on Friday night, along with NY-based Lou Dibella. 50's top man in his small stable, Billy Dib (35-1), the IBF featherweight champ, headlines against challenger Evgeny Gradovich, and all of them gathered at the Strand to hype the card, which will be shown on ESPN's "Friday Night Fights."

I asked Dibella what he thinks of 50 within the boxing sphere and the promoter of middleweight champion and pound-for-pound ace Sergio Martinez gushed. Yes, I know, he's a promoter. Gushing is part and parcel of what he does. But I've known Dibella for a good little while, and when he says, "This guy impresses me so much, he's so smart," then I'm pretty certain he's not BSing me. If he didn't think that, he would have offered a less gush-y, more politically correct boilerplate assessment.

I'm not a rap fan myself, and really knew next to nothing about the man apart from some Wiki-level basics. He'd been shot, he'd dealt drugs, he'd used that darker side material to his advantage in marketing. But 50 came across as almost gentle, and thoughtful at the Strand. He talked about wanting to "get the youth that has drifted away from boxing" to watch fights again. No, he didn't haze the 15-0 Russian Gradovich, with lyrical thunder you might hear on his albums, but he did get in a zinger at old pal Floyd Mayweather. They were planning on doing the promotional thing together, but that fell apart this summer, over what is still not exactly clear. 50 asked the writers how the great boxers are remembered. Is it because they fought the best, or because they maneuvered skillfully? One writer assumed 50 was talking about Mayweather and 50 pounced.

Ah ha, I didn't say Floyd's name, but you assumed that.

He grinned broadly, and let a media handler take him downstairs for another appointment. He played his best tune, left on a high note, left all wanting more.

50 Cent is assuming there will be a vaccum in the game to be exploited, I thought to myself on the same day I listened to Don King laud Bernard Hopkins on a conference call after Hopkins talked about wanting to beat King's fighter Tavoris Cloud March 9 at Barclays Center, and thus stick a nail in the 81-year-old King's promotional coffin. King doesn't have the taste for the sparring anymore, and while Bob Arum does, he too is 81, and who knows when that zest might evaporate. Seeing and hearing the 37-year-old budding mogul 50 Cent in action, it looked to me like it wouldn't be a smart move to assume that this go won't be in this for the long haul, and might well be leading the pack in five years.

Woods on Twitter.

deepwater says:

where do I begin? the title of this article is 50-cent- dibella-dib.The writer mentions 50 cents 9 times and dibella one time before he even mentions dib. you know dib, the ibf champ who has to fight on fnf at this point of his career. ok any questions about dib mr dibella? dibella= yes he is so smart( actually talking about 50.) hey mr dibella if dib wins who is he lined up against next? headphones and drinks money ect ect. what? is this press conferece about dib and the fighters? yes, 50 made a joke about floyd. as aboxing fan its frustrating when boxing writers write articles more about the silly promoter then the actual fighter himself. does the writer actually believe that we believe that 50 cents was going to shoot up the hotel press conference? any questions on dibs career or opponant? future matchups? working on anything new in camp? no real questions. only sad grown men who get excited and squee likegroupies" he is so smart" what does that mean? its degrading. oh well. Ill be watchyng fnf this friday and drinking the heady topper ipa. I have a feeling I will spit some of my beer up when 5o cents takes away more of his boxers attention.

SouthPaul says:

I think it's to Dibbs advantage. You may dislike 50 but he's got a slew of fans that adore him and will pay attention to anything he does, including be lowered into the ring dropping f bombs. It's win win for Dibbs. I mean, let's be real here, Dibbs ain't nothing super thrilling so he needs the extra push from a very well known guy like Curtis Jackson. If 50 assembles a good boxing management/promotional team...he'll succeed. Don't be too much of a tyrant... Don't wear too many hats... It's about understanding what you can't do yourself that'll make you successful in this venture. And you can bet your last fifty cent on that. Have to say though.. He definitely showed his snake side the way he flipped on Floyd. Leave the surveillance on when Curtis is in your house... He's a Judas.

deepwater says:

The focus should be on dib and the fights with a mention of 50 on the side but instead we get 50 with Lou dibellas gas face in the middle with the fighters on the side. If dib was getting any focus at all I would say it might be a smart move but it's only about 50 and his nonsense .grown educated men are actually saying he talks smart. Does he look stupid you mofos? Why isn't any of the boxing guys writing about dib looks terrible in his us debut ,what did he do different in the gym this time?or asking questions about his unorthodox Style, any personal story on dib? I don't know. But I know grown men gush over how other men talk. Let's talk canelo ditching Floyd's card because Floyd won't sign on the line.

SouthPaul says:

You make a valid point cuz' truth be told I don't know jack or Jill about Billy Dibb. Lmao.

I won't speculate too much on Floyd... Sorta feel baited and hooked when I do but I never even for a nano second expected to see Canelo on that undercard, with or without that signature. The kid is a main event'er ... Even will draw on PPV (don't sleep, this hombre rojo can easily draw 400,000 subscriptions. At least I think so!) so laughable to this poster when they tried selling the undercard nonsense . Some real suspicious dealings going on behind those golden gates...

Bernie Campbell says:

Curtis Jackson puts out an inferior product, his "music" is garbage, he gave them what he thought they wanted, hell do it in boxing! Because of people like him, people dont know how to play the friggun Contrabasoon, or the Oboe even! Get em outtof here!

SouthPaul says:

Talking like that about 50 will get you pistol whipped, Bernie. Behave!!!!

Bernie Campbell says:

Thats sounds like a real civilized answer Southpaul! The role of the "voice" is to keep governments and other oppressive entities in check, rather you go on having police and military people go in your neighborhood to kick a**! That goes the same about Corporate entities who exist to drown out your music with trash. Consider the people on plantations, they had evreything taken away from them, but they couldnt take away there music! And they still cant take away Whisteling Dixie! I hope you can read between the lines my good man!

Hehehehehehe! SouthPaul, B-Camp ain't scared of no "Friscoe!" I'm still not feeling exactly what a "Friscoe" is, but B-Camp moves to his own drumbeat. So all that I can do, is just retreat. He brings the straight-up be-a-good-guy heat. And sometimes I'm a sinner. In this topsy-turvy world, it takes the good and bad tude to become a winner.

I will straighten up when I die and go to heaven. No way that I'm going to hell. But if I do, I'll kick Satan's @ss, pi$$ out his fire, pee pee in his red-@ss eyes and slap his snake-haired wifey. Hahaha!

He'd holla at Big POPPA God and Lil' Daddy Jesus and Mother Mary, the saints and all the heavenly angels and dey wings that he is gonna retired from evil if they don't put Radam G's little Pinoy @ss outta Helldom. Hehehe!

I'd even take Satan's pitchfolk and stick him in his evil @ss with it. He'd be crying like a bytch. Then I'd slap da the ice off him, because his Helldom would be Radam G chillin' crib by then.

Oh, NOPE! Lucifer, Satan, or the devil under any his pseudonyms would want the gig of a Thrilla in Manila or a Rumble in the Jungle with me. Y'all know me! I'm down with O-P-P! Holla!

Bernie Campbell says:

Radam, Im losing the subtleties here?

I know B-Camp. You are one serious cat. For me, it is Friscoe -- I mean loco fun -- to jive around. Holla!

SouthPaul says:

Lmfao at Radam. You crazy homey. Bernie, he's beyond crazy. He's insane. Team 50 read these boards and next time they see Bernie at a press conference he's fixing to get pistol whipped, tied up, gaged and tossed into a trunk of a car and taken for a long ride off a short atlantic city pier. Behave Bernie!!!!!

Bernie Campbell says:

Lotta Nggas died in this land for freedom of speech, lotta friscoes too! Nevermind with the Press Conferemces , Theyre sponsored by foreign investors! So if its out of your pocket and not for the public good you could all pound salt!
Curtis looked timid tonight on FNF's. The clown looks like he got in over his head for his young years, I believe with all of the advertising, he didnt spend one cent of his fifty! It was the same old story hes been running all week. He looked like a darn amatuer out there!! Its evident Boxings not strong now, theyre gasping for air! Look at the garbage theve fed us in the last two months! Its almost like national defence has its interest for Boxing not to put out a good American product! I say recruit from special ed, go to the farms, put it out to the suburbs, It aint working anymore!

Bernie Campbell says:

Bernie Campbell, USA Boxing News, Look me up Friscoes! You too Curtis! Good Paper, Good Price, Strictly the facts, no promotional BS, Well Established! No Advertising, Former fighters running the publication, No internet! No Agenda, No Axe to grind! See yas at the press conference!

Bernie Campbell says:

Get this serious chump outta my face! You hear me Curtis?

Curtis is learning the hard way,... now we're about to see what he's made of.