Nonito Donaire is BWAA Fighter of the Year; Marquez-Pacman is F.O.Y.

BY The Sweet Science ON January 27, 2013

Donaire media day 121211 004aSuper bantamweight champion Nonito Donaire has been named Fighter of the Year for 2012 by the Boxing Writers Association of America. Donaire successfully defended his world title four times in 2012, the last two by stoppage, as he surged toward the top of most pound-for-pound fighter lists. It marks the fourth time in the last seven years that a boxer from the Philippines has won the BWAA's Sugar Ray Robinson "Fighter of the Year" award. Countryman Manny Pacquiao won in 2006, 2008, and 2009.

The BWAA's 2012 awards banquet will be held in New York this spring at a venue and date to be announced.

Donaire's trainer Robert Garcia has been recognized as winner of the Eddie Futch "Trainer of the Year" award. In addition to Donaire, Garcia has developed world title holders including Mikey Garcia and Brandon Rios.

Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez have boxed four times. In December 2012, at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Marquez was behind on points and scored a sensational one-punch knockout in the sixth round. It was a breathtaking encounter that propelled the battle ahead of other worthy candidates for the BWAA's Muhammad Ali - Joe Frazier "Fight of the Year" prize.

Manager Al Haymon has consistently won his fighters lucrative opportunities and paydays. His work on behalf of his fighters has been recognized by BWAA members, who have voted him 2012 "Manager of the Year." The award is named after Mike Tyson's mentor, Cus D'Amato. Plans are being made to have Tyson in attendance to present the award.

Max Kellerman has always been one of the more charismatic, intelligent and independent voices about boxing on television, on HBO and before that on ESPN. The BWAA will recognize Kellerman with its award for "Excellence in Boxing Journalism."

Just a year or so ago, middleweight Danny Jacobs' biggest fight was outside the ring. A battle with cancer not only threatened his ring career, but his life. Everyone is ecstatic that Jacobs, now recovered, resumed his career last October. The BWAA has voted to bestow upon the Brooklyn fighter the 2012 Bill Crawford award for "Courage in Overcoming Adversity."

It was only a matter of time before Kathy Duva and Bruce Trampler won the newly named Barney Nagler award for "Long and Meritorious Service" to the sport of boxing. Duva and Trampler finished tied in BWAA member voting, and both will be honored. Trampler, with promoter Top Rank, is a grass-roots matchmaker who developed many a champion and contender over the years. Kathy Duva, since taking over the reins at Main Events, has led her company to a resurgence.

Steve Farhood is no stranger to winning BWAA awards. He has previously won awards for Broadcasting, Long and Meritorious Service and Excellence in Boxing Journalism. The Showtime broadcaster now has won yet another: the Marvin Kohn "Good Guy" award.

It had been previously announced that Dave Kindred won the 2012, Nat Fleischer award for "Excellence in Boxing Journalism", and Peter Finney the A.J. Liebling award for "Outstanding Boxing Writing.

dino da vinci says:

I'm sure Peter Finney is an outstanding boxing writer. But if someone doesn't give Springs Toledo an award of this magnitude real soon, we'll stop posting the results here.*

With that off my chest, they did manage to do a nice job with the rest of the categories.

*Yes, we look out for our own here at TSS, but I can assure you nobody alive has read more boxing books than me and Springs is Pat Putnam great, maybe a smidgen better, and arguably best I ever read. Since he hasn't won anything yet, I'll let you do the math.

deepwater says:

Agree with donaire. Agree with foy . Al Haymon is a snake in the shadows , 2-1 odds that another man accepts the award in haymons place. Maybe those 2 brothers or their camera loving pop. Garcia is a punk making up excuses rib,finger, 6th toe. Zab can't beat too many these days but he would beat Garcia in bk.

deepwater says:

Have you read the gloves by anasi? That book was about our team and trainer . The supreme team

dino da vinci says:

@Deep. No, but I back in the early '90's I did read Shadow Box by Plimpton. Actually, I hadn't heard of this book until now. I'll pick up a copy and let you know my thoughts.

Agree with Dino... where's the love for Springs....even the articles I don't like or agree with are worth their weight in diamonds.

Congrats to Donaire, not my first choice ( ahem-Guerrero-ahem)... but the prize couldn't go to a classier fellow.

Great to see the elusive... reclusive All Hayman get some much deserved recognition...The Puppet Master.....as he is known by those who don't appreciate his contributions to boxing is sure to do some serious business in 2013 along with GBP.

Boxing is often a mythic sport literally. Tell the myth until it is believed as the truth. TSS Superscribe S-To has not done this. He pulls up the straight-up truths from the deepest covers. And the mythologists that be don't like it and cannot handle it. So of course they are going to ice S-To outta BWAA awards.

Apparently they don't dig a supplying-the-truth rebel. Just imagine some of the myths this Universe would be believing if S-To wouldn't have outted 'em.

Bottomline, when the myth overshadows the dead-straight-up truth, don't make waves. Or the BWAA will blacken you out.

Those in da know is down with S-To. The BRAA salutes him. Holla!

dino da vinci says:

Braa?

dino da vinci says:

Actually, I typed it as you wrote it but this iPad does what it wants. Again, BRAA?

BRAA = Boxing Readers Action Association. Hehehe! Pay your union fee of $12thou. Hehe! Holla!

dino da vinci says:

Hey, that's less than the shakedown fee from some of the organizations. I actually see some value there. Where do I send the check?

Good one, Ddv! You are slicky slick on my trail to ID me. Just donate the $12thou to Rev. [Big] George Foreman. He's always shaking me down for Jesus. Holla!

ArneK. says:

Congrats to all the winners. I'm curious, however, why the BWAA chose to re-name the award for "long and meritorious service" in honor of Barney Nagler. I'm not greatly opposed -- I chewed the fat with Barney on several occasions and he was just as Bert Sugar described him: a very sweet man plus he was a prolific writer who wrote a great book. However, I personally would have kept the award named for Hizzoner James J. Walker, and I don't care if his administration ended in scandal. After all, this is boxing. So ... can anyone tell me what was the impetus behind re-naming the award?

ArneK. says: