Chris “The Nightmare” Arreola Predicts 2013 Is His Year
|Written by David A. Avila|
|Wednesday, 23 January 2013 17:51|
Arreola wants another crack at a Klitschko.
SHERMAN OAKS, CALIF.-When you’re a heavyweight contender named Chris “The Nightmare” Arreola nothing less than fighting for a world title in front of a nationwide audience is acceptable. Given that, the year 2012 was a bust.
“At the end of the year I want to be undisputed heavyweight champion of the world,” says Arreola of 2013. “I want Wladimir Klitschko cause he has most of the titles.”
First, Riverside, California’s Arreola (34-2, 30 Kos) has a date with Canada by way of Haiti’s Bermane Stiverne (22-1-1, 20 Kos) on Saturday, March 9 at the OC Hangar in Costa Mesa, Calif. It’s part of a bi-coastal HBO televised boxing event that also features Bernard Hopkins against Tavoris Cloud.
Arreola was primed to fight Klitschko in 2012 but events and contracts got in the way. Then Klitschko’s great trainer Emanuel Steward passed away. The clash that heavyweight fans the world over expected to happen, simply fizzled away.
Dan Goossen, president of Goossen-Tutor Promotions that promotes Arreola, said the two parties couldn’t agree on the terms. It was supposed to happen at the Barclay’s Center in Brooklyn, New York.
A crowd of two dozen reporters arrived at Sisley’s Restaurant in Sherman Oaks on Wednesday afternoon to talk to Arreola, who was flanked by two other Goossen-Tutor Promotion fighters Josesito Lopez and Andre Ward. Of the three prizefighters only Arreola was not part of a big fight last year.
Arreola wants to be back on the big picture in a bad way and knows Stiverne stands in the way like a safety pin ready to pop the Mexican heavyweight’s balloon.
“I know Bermane Stiverne is a tough fighter. He thinks he knows me but he doesn’t,” said Arreola to those seated in the Italian restaurant. “When he hits me and nothing happens he’s going to be in trouble.”
Stiverne was unable to attend the event for undisclosed reasons.
Arreola proclaims that this year will be his year.
“I’m kicking in the door and taken everybody’s money,” he said.
Josesito Lopez, whose victory over Victor Ortiz this last year was proclaimed the Upset of the Year by various boxing publications, said his stablemate’s return always guarantees entertainment.
“We’ve been missing some good heavyweight fights,” Lopez said.
Ward, the super middleweight champion, was supposed to be on the same card with Arreola but an injury requiring surgery postponed his fight. Arreola will go onward without Ward who was happy to support the Riverside fighter’s cause.
“I know what it takes to get to the top,” said Ward about Arreola. “He’s looking lean and mean over there.”
The OC Hangar seats roughly about 2,000 and those tickets will go fast. Fans interested in attending should take note.
“This one is for all of the marbles,” said Goossen. “I know Chris is going to bring it all home.”