Mikey Garcia Takes Crown From Salido

BY Michael Woods ON January 20, 2013

Garcia upset SalidoMikey Garcia had his way with Orlando Salido, dropping him four times through four rounds, and it looked like he could do no wrong at the Madison Square Garden Theater on Saturday night. Salido tightened up a bit, and got a second wind, though. He had some moments in round seven and eight, but the plug got pulled when he butted Garcia's nose in the eighth. The doc said Garcia couldn't continue and we went to the cards.

HBO televised in front of 4,850 fans, which was a hair shy of a sellout.

The judges saw Garcia a victor, by scores of 79-70, 790-69, 79-69.

In the first, Garcia scored a knockdown, off a left hook. He scored another, off a left hook, from further out, with ten seconds to go.

In the second, Salido had better luck, in that he didn’t go down, but his aggression wasn’t super effective.

In the third, Garcia got credit for another knockdown, with a right uppercut which made Salido use his left hand to keep standing.

In the fourth, down went Salido yet again. This time it was a left jab, thrown backing up.

In round five, he buckled Salido again and once again was master of range, tempo, everything.

In the sixth, Salido had maybe his best round, as he didn’t get dropped or buzzed badly. He energized the crowd in the seventh, with slightly more effective aggression. In the eighth, Garcia won but Salido was still peppy. They butted heads, and Salido mashed Mikey's nose. The docs said that Garcia couldn't continue. after probing his nose. The crowd wasn't overly pleased.

I was told by someone with intimate knowledge of the Garcia camp that they figured Salido to be pretty easy pickings, and indeed, the sailing looked pretty smooth before Salido woke up.

Half of those fans were Mikey G's peeps from Cali.

He straight up and down and sideway put a G whuppin' on Salido. Like I said. Mikey would be too much for the rushing in, too much telegraphing Salido.

Danggit! I saw Editor Mike's grill all up on my Manila Thrilla 150-inch television. Hehehe! Holla!

riverside says:

Go Mikey, We said patience!!!! ..did good good.!! but could of knock that fool out cold...IMO, when is homecoming party?

Thought I would see Garcia in a dog fight tonight but that didn't happen. I got to give Mikey his props hedid his thang I would love to see him fight Gamboa at 130.

fightscorecollector says:

How did you all score the Salido-garcia fight, I had it 79-69 at time of stoppage

mortcola says:

Garcia really impressed me. Like Andre Ward, he doesn't dazzle with a lot of obvious performance skills - but is extremely precise, contained, calm, and effective, and controls and neutralizes his opponent. Unlike Ward, whose power is adequate, Garcia is a banger. I look forward to seeing lots more of this kid!

garcia is extremely composed, fundamental, accurate and well rounded... he made salido look like he has never been in a championship fight before...

not sure if salido showed a lot of deterioration and age or was just that out classed...

DaveB says:

Garcia is a well rounded, disciplined fighter. He does remind me of Andre Ward in the sense that he takes tough opponents and makes them look easier to fight than they are. Salido is one tough fighter. I wanted to see the fight not end the way it did because it looked as though Salido was doing a little better with his rough house tactics. That is not to say I had it close by any stretch of my imagination. Garcia will never have that exciting flair but you have to take him for what his personality is and appreciate him for the well rounded fighter that he is. IMO a top ten P4Per. He also reminds me of Ricardo Lopez. He is an excellent fighter.

Salido was OUTCLASSED, Amayseng. His chances were none and no way. And no way was on Mikey's side for that pay.

@DaveG -- I mean DaveB -- ditto DAT! "Finto" was probably bragging that Mikey was stealing his stuff. Ain't nuffin' to beatin' a sucka who's ruff.

@Fightscorecollector, my bias arse had it 80 to 69. Holla!

Beautiful boxing by Garcia,.. Salido was coming on in the later rounds at a time when it seemed like he should be throwing in the towell. Not saying he was going to win the fight but I would have liked to have seen what Garcia had left in championship rounds. For now I'm going to assume he would have had enough in the tank to preserve his lead.

riverside says:

B- Sug, GGG looked great, bit robotic with his head movement, but a force to be reckon with for sure. Back to Garcia, kid is awesome,Great skills made Salido look like a journeyman, when the fight was halted,it was starting to look like the beginning of the end for Salido. He was taking too many pin point shots. Salido is no quitter for sure,but I would assume Garcia had more fuel/power in the tank, to match any championship round rally by Salido, fight most likely would of ended TKO win for Mikey in championship rounds...IMO

I can't argue against that,.. you could very well be right about that Riverside. Salido could have very possibly been stopped.

fightscorecollector says:

Hi guys in the signature below is my fight report for the 126lb WBO title fight between Salido and Garcia.

Comments welcome

Thanks guys

Fightscorecollector

Did anybody catch Woodsy's prefight analysis?... He compared Salido to a swarm of Bees, nice analogy. Garcia was so good on his feet (a much better technician than I ever thought I'd see) that Salido didn't get the opportunity to fulfill that prediction until the later rounds.

Salido was definitely not coming with the stings of a swarm of bees. I think that he came more like a swarm of locusts. He was rough-and-ready, but against the accurate-punching Mikey G, he was helpless and unsteady. Mikey G was killing him softly. For Salido, the bout was costly. He was exposed as an easy-to beat-down roughneck. Outta him, Mikey G beat da heck. That headbutt saved Salido from getting beat even more and knocked da double out. No matter what nonsense he and his team now shout. Holla!

I couldn't agree more B-Sug..

Latest Articles

examiningchilembavscummings
douglasandsorofighttodrawon200thshobox
newsonironboycardcarloscarlsonwin
gennadygolovkinreallygoodgettingbetter
gennadygolovkinvsdanielgealeliveroundbyroundresults
goodboygetsitdonegolovkinstopsgealeinroundthree
bryantjenningsbeatsmikeperezontwoofthreecards
undersizedheavyweightsbattleinmadisonsquaregarden
doncharginhooksonwithgoldenboy
roachcontemplatingtrainingcampwithpacquiaoandcotto

Who's the best Mexican boxer today?