Kelly Pavlik Says He's Retiring

BY Michael Woods ON January 19, 2013

PavlikHopkins Hogan 4Youngstown, Ohio's Kelly Pavlik, who held a middleweight title from 2007-2009, and represented the hopes and dreams of a region struggling with a shift away from a manufacturing-based economy, told ESPN's Dan Rafael he is retiring.

The fighter, age 30, enjoyed a moment in the sun as a possible replacement for Golden Boy Oscar De La Hoya, but since then dealt with a public struggle with alcohol, and was looking to re-energize his career at 168 pounds.

He had a fight set with pound for pound ace Andre Ward, but Ward's injured shoulder cancelled that plan. Now, Pavlik says his heart isn't in it, and he wants to start a new chapter, one that won't possibly result in compromised health down the line.

I had heard a rumor that something was up with Pavlik, and thought he might be leaving his current trainer, Robert Garcia. Two days ago, I asked Garcia if Pavlik was still with him. Yes, Garcia told me, he is, as far as I know. We're looking for another fight for him, the trainer told me.

"When you stay in the sport too long you have health problems. That's a big, big thing for me," Pavlik said to Rafael.

His record stands at 40-2, with 34 KOs. Manager Cameron Dunkin said he is happy Pavlik is exiting on his own terms.

The boxer, who was seen as a twofer with hometown trainer Jack Loew before they had a messy split, has seemed to struggle with desire issues for awhile; he pulled out an August 2011 fight against Daryl Cunningham four days before the Showtime bout was slated to occur.

A TKO7 win over Jermain Taylor in September 2007 will stand as his signature win.

I wouldn't be honest if I didn't share my thought that I suspect we will see Pavlik in the ring again.

Thoughts, readers?

Carmine Cas says:

It's a little surprising but then again he had been struggling to stay diligent to boxing. I think he could come back if he has trouble finding an alternative career that gives economic stability

WOW! KP needs a bit of lovin.' He's sounding like a fast-life dame has been whispering in his ear. And I wouldn't be a bit surprised. She is seeking control. But once KP figures that out, back in da game like a peacock, he'll stroll.

He got 99 problems and a bytch is 98 of 'em! "Come BACK, SHANE" -- I mean KP! Holla!

so let me get this straight, a man who has been an alcoholic killing his body from the inside out for years doesnt want to fight anymore because it could be unhealthy down the road?

im a huge kp fan, always have been, always rooted for him...

and everyone has demons, overcome the alcohol good for you, give up what could still be a promising career at 30 and shame on you...

he'll come back when he is 35 and broke and get destroyed....then his health will be ****.

sad

DaveB says:

All three comments are spot on. I don't think we have seen the last of him. Probably just going through a rough spot right now.

Amayseng I couldn't agree with u more I'm almost positive that's exactly what happens with him fam.

tlig says:

He'll fight this year.

Pavlik has been fighting about as often as Mayweather. He clearly hasn't shown the desire or confidence to continue campaigning in the brutally sweet science.

first the Bute fight fell though and now Ward...... I wonder if he's made any investments? Hopefully he should have enough to live a middle - class lifestyle for the next 20 years if he hasn't blown his saving.

There are probably some much deeper personal issues that I personally can't speculate about. If he's going to retire and pass up a nice paycheck for the Ward fight I'm sure he has his reasons.

Brownsugar you are too something

He has the chance to fight for another title against the

Possible #2 p4p fighter on the planet....

A chance or a big payday and bigger paydays in the future should he win.

And he decides to retire right after a training camp and postponement due to his

opponents injury?

U are right something is off.

30 is an age where u start to mature and things in life start

to click and become clearer.

However for him it seems his maturity is going in the wrong direction.

Ashame.

Forgive my missing and changed words.

Damn iPhone.

dino da vinci says:

Great post as usual.

@amayseng. They're all built a little different, just like in the real world. Some however, are a little more different than others.

Matthew says:

I give it a year or less. He'll be back in the ring before too long. With all of his outside the ring issues, he'll probably need money. Hell, Mosley's retirement didn't last six months. I hope I'm wrong, but you guys all know how boxers are with retirements.

You are not wrong by a long shot, Matt. He has already said that he is not 100 percent -- just "95 percent" certain about not coming back. And I'm not mourning this time, so I'm dead Service.

Next month, KP will be at 75 percent. Expect for him to dance by this summer. Holla!

deepwater says:

hopkins ruined him. good for him for getting out now. i am sure there will be some lightpoles to punch out if he gets nostalgic again.

deepwater says:

i retire all the time but yet again Ill be fighting in the masters tournament at gleasons this june.

DaveB says:

Ha, ha. Then you guys aren't retiring. You're just taking a vacation.

DaveB says:

Ha, ha. Then you guys aren't retiring. You're just taking a vacation.

SouthPaul says:

Fighters don't retire ..they just idle for the next opportunity. He's only one good offer from being back in the game. That I promise you.

SouthPaul says: