Hopkins Turns 48, Turns Up Nose At Cheesecake

BY Michael Woods ON January 16, 2013

dm 130115 boxing bernard hopkins intervoewHe is a full-on marvel. Bernard Hopkins turned 48 years old, and during a time when he could be counting his money, and getting deeper into the promotional side of the sport, he's still in spartan mode. He’s earned the right to sleeping in, and a birthday dinner of a massive porterhouse, all the carbs he craves and dessert to top it off, but that’s not his way. The man who promised his mama that he wouldn't fight past 40 simply can't help himself, because his competitive urge is so immense. Yes, Father Time's fiercest foe is back again, looking to prove to himself that age is just a number, and that IBF light heavy champ Tavoris Cloud is just another notch on a belt full of them.

Hopkins was at Barclays Center in Brooklyn on Monday, talking up his March 9 clash against the Florida-born Cloud, and as per usual, he already looked in fighting trim, and his trash talking was superior.

Hopkins sparred with Don King, and looked to get under Cloud's skin by heaping pressure on him. If you lose, he told Cloud, Don King, age 81, goes out of business. Staffers who have been with him for 30 years will be forced to look for work, Hopkins told Cloud. The 31 year old didn't appear to be overwhelmed by that thought, but who knows if that psy op stuff just might give B-Hop a tiny edge. One edge we can point out with certainty is Hopkins' willpower, which is stunning and omnipresent. Publicist Kelly Swanson arranged for the venerable institution Junior's to send over a birthday cheesecake, and one was wheeled in. Hopkins blew out the candles, carved out a big slice...and then handed it to Cloud. The message was clear--we are two months out and I'm in go mode. I'm near the light heavyweight limit. I'm eating, sleeping, living, and breathing this challenge. I don't have time for sugar. I only have eyes for making sure I prove the critics wrong, and spitting in the face of that fool, Father Time.

Here are some of the best quotes from the session. The scrap, by the way, is promoted by Golden Boy, and will be shown on HBO. By the way, please feel free to follow Woods on Twitter. https://twitter.com/Woodsy1069

deepwater says:

that old man sure is smart. he knows juniors is all hype. best cheescake in nyc is at rocco's on bleeker street. its fun watching ole hopkins play with these guys heads. hopkins ruined alot of fighters. taylor/pavlik/ect. trinidad was not the same after fighting hopkins.

Bernie Campbell says:

I think what I really like about ol Stanky Butt is he represents to me the absent father figure that Ive never known! Mom had to raise us! Its bitter sweet! Ive projected him into BERnard Hopkins!

Wow! Holla!

BoxeoMichoacan says:

I think Hopkins is going to get Pacquiao'd versus tavoris thunder cloud. Cloud is a slow starter much like Hopkins but I believe he hits much harder than Dawson at 175. I'm predicting he gets Pacquiao'd round 7 off of a crisp hook

hopkins is a health perfectionist...

his nutrition is perfect..

his training is perfect

his game plan and perparation is perfect...

chad was the worst style matchup for him, but cloud who really got whooped by campillo, is a mere pressure fighter with limited skill and limited boxing iq...

hopkins sees something to exploit, can his body follow his mind

SouthPaul says:

Ol Dirty Nard has been pretty fun to watch over the years ...specially the outside antics ...one of the best trash talking fighters of this era. Excellent mind game player . Homey looked Trinidad dead in the eye and told him exactly how it would unfold...right down to telling him it'll be your daddy that saves you from yourself. That was akin to Babe Ruth pointing out his home run before it even left the park. Bury that nugga' a G cuz that's what he is!

Bernie Campbell says:

In Psycological terms the previous post expresses a serious case of projection, in religious terms friscoe breakes the first commandment, in practical terms there aint gonna be no more idiots to give it up for!

SouthPaul says:

Be that as it may, Bernie, but at the moment Im celebrating for Ol Dirty Bernard. Just had a protein shake ... Working out ....reading ... Hell, I'm even dancing . I love all sorts of music ... My iPad mix has a serious identity crisis .. Ramon Ayala just came on ...had me dancing and playing the air accordion .. Almost even hit a shot of Cazadoras. But The Executioner wouldn't approve of that so I resisted. Tonight we indulge in discipline in honor of the bday boy. Back to Ayala ..love how his accordion screams kill yourself you lame muthafucka'...but then switches up to the sound of what seems like Federalies opening up on you with Ar 15's. It was at that moment I made up a dance called the electrico Mexican slide. I quickly but smoothly slid across my kitchen floor like that of a skipping flat rock across a lake. That's wassssup, that's what I got going on. Holla'!

SouthPaul says:

Bernie! Air guitar time! Don't Forget Me , Red Hot Chili Peppers . Sick guitar riff in that tune. Holla, son!

Bernie Campbell says:

Sounds like a retarded tenager. doomed to failure. a generation with no truth, no principle, when the nightmare ends SouthPaul's homeys yell free at last/what the f---- happened!
Hopkins little accomplishments in the ring will be obscured to the fact that he wasnt a nice person, he was a cheater, his followers represented a negative subculture who knew no talent but were mesmerized with his exagerated image of himself! Truly a narcisist in the worst sence! Friscoe was an imitation! He defended his belt 20 times but could not grasp the concept of the word Champion! He will go out of this sport truly like a spoiled brat!

SouthPaul says:

Sounds like you're saying it's the Joey Coyle story ...Money For Nothing? I ain't buying it, Bernie, and neither will your great grand children multiplied by three when they're admiring his accomplishments a 100 years from now because still then ... that middleweight accomplishment will be shining like a diamond in the rough. Your kin will be shaking their head at you saying, can't believe our have crazed triple great grand pappy was hating on this legend they called the Executioner. Lmfao.

tlig says:

Here's hoping Cloud knocks him out. I'm sick now of his story (yeah we know, you are ageless and can fight. Give it a rest).

Ditto SouthPaul! One has to be a bit mean, bias and blind not to see that B-Hop is/was an archmaster of whuppin' behind. Holla!

BoxeoMichoacan says:

#SubliminalShots

SouthPaul says:

Definitely feel you on the bias. I'm thinking ODB may have mugged Bernie Campbell back in the early Philly days.

Ha. Agreed.
Bc just said hops fans are idiots who don't. Know talent.

I don't see Hopkins as a cheater either.

BC mad as an Ox.

Bernie Campbell says:

Shii... Hopkins mugged me in Philly? I come froma land alot tougher than the City of Brotherly Love! If anything Id get my Dragnet out and make BERnard into one of my errand boys! Bottom line hes not and hasnt been good for Boxing. Grammar kids see his shame! Shoot up the joint, become Tom fooled cause they are scared of being him! Joker turned alot of people South! He WILL account for it!

SouthPaul says:

Ok, maybe the odds of him mugging you back in the day was a bit far fetched but he definitely hustled yo' *** out of some PPV cash, that's obvious. Lmfao.

Bernie Campbell says:

Maybe I caught Hopkins stealing government cheese from the disabled guy and forced him to give it back, Hey that wasnt you SouthPaul was it!
Hopkins is a chickensh''', he picks his own fights, never takes chances, never fights abroad, always fights somebody he knows he can beat!

SouthPaul says:

I can't **** with that uncle Sam chedda'. Lactose intolerance, son.

SouthPaul says:

My Mom was like that of Hopkins to be honest ...like him...she'd do whatever it takes to feed her kids. On her very down and out broke days ..she'd stand in the free food line. If there was no extra cash for Xmas presents ...she'd be in those lines, son. Not for something free but for the love of her children. My mommy got it done even if that meant bumping someone on the hip and knocking them out of their spot. Yes, it's true...my mommy definitely could hustle like ODB. Lmao.

Real Talk says:

Happy Bornday anniversary to the throwback, true American rags to riches peoples champ who gives motivation an inspiration to the left behind and wrote off in this nation. Grand master boxer with the jab that'll pop ya, people scratchin their heads saying man he's gone off his rocker. Could this be his last dance, they say this youngins a monster who gon make B-Hop wish he never popped out his Mama. Will he go out on top or flat on his back or maybe splat face first like the great Manny Pac? The Executioner got skills so I don't even see that, but for certain T. Cloud gon let us know where he's at. The boxing Rubik's cube that give fighters the blues and leave their whole spirit, soul and body abused. Gon need high boxing IQ to solve the riddle, an if not the thunder Cloud will be reduced to a drizzle. Campillo had'em in the web twisted and tangled so it aint hard to see Hopkins give'em them angles. Take'em to school Hopkins. Dueces

Real Talk says:

Mine was the same way too Southpaul, real live soldier

amen'

Realtalk,...... I might read that one at the Tuesday night WritingWrongs poetry slam!!!!

Bernie Campbell says:

Nevermind with the Mommas! Will the chain be unbroken! If evrey friggun sailor doesnt do their job during wartime the boat sinks! I dont dig sentimentalities brothers! We all got our shackels! You do your darndest to help people that are drowning, you dont kick them down! If you do, you lose the war! Theres forgiveness, theres leading by example, but you dont make believe your living in a sesspool and eating caviar! You kick people down when youre selling a bill of goods to the ignorant! Hopkins has no cred! Hes a simpleton!

SouthPaul says:

You bullshitting with it, Bernie, and we done caught you slippin'. The vote is in...we all love our mommas and ODB too. Tonight we play...I'll Always Love My Momma by the Intruders. We listen...sing...dance...while you pout in the corner over some PPV change Hopkins mugged you for. You might not laughing but I surely am. Lmfao.

Bernie Campbell says:

Tavoris Cloud took his title from Clinton Woods, He had an amature career of 46-8, susequentially he defended his title against Glen Johnson Fulgy Zuniga, Yusuf Mack, and won a controversial match against Gabrial Campillo! He also knocked out former champ Julio Gonzales earlier in his career! Considering the crowd is against him and Don King in his corner, I dont hink this is the best fight Stanky Butt Hopkins could have produced for all concerned! Personall there are 4 or 5 guys who would wipe the floor with this Friscoe that he doesnt own up to! Instead we gotta here he is the greatest legend since Methusala!

Bernie Campbell says:

The Good Book says Honor your Father, Love your Mother, not the other way around! Things get dysfunctional that way Friscoes!

Bernie Campbell says:

SouthPaul says:

I don't subscribe to the good book. Outdated like the bible of boxing. Check this out, though, I at least see how you've got to where you're at with Bernard Hopkins. Truth be told...one time critic. A brief hatin' stint if you will. Definitely woulda' liked to have seen him one punched koyed say like Butch did the Gimp in Pulp Fiction (always hated the leather mask Hopkins wore- very cheesy-- total WWE garbage). That was then..this is now... he's a lock for an all time great. Case closed, my bible thumbing friend....

Bernie Campbell says:

Ill have 2 of what that Friscoe SouthPul's drinking!

Quote of note... you brought back some memories with that one SP.

SouthPaul says:

That's wassuup, Brown Suga'. Glad you can relate.

Bernie

I love you. For every good hit there has to be a good pitch. Sleep well, my friend...