Manny Pacquiao Got Caught--That's Boxing!

BY Frank Lotierzo ON December 11, 2012

Marquez Pacquiao 121208 001aThe shocking and abrupt ending to this past weekend's Pacquiao-Marquez IV welterweight bout seems to have fans all over the place as to what happened. Before getting into that, let it be said up front that I'm not dignifying any of the possible PED use on Marquez' behalf because it's ridiculous. Nobody mentioned those things about Pacquiao except Floyd Mayweather, who has no creditability at all, when Manny was knocking Marquez, Ricky Hatton and Miguel Cotto all over the ring. So I'm not going to tarnish Marquez' moment in the sun.

Back to the fight. Let's cut through the BS, Pacquiao was fighting beautifully from the onset other than getting caught with a nicely placed right hand high to his face in the third round by Marquez. Manny won the first two rounds and was fighting well in the third before he was nailed. In the fourth and fifth rounds he was taking it to Marquez (having put him down in the fifth) and looked as if he found his rhythm. His head feints and upper body movement had Marquez bewildered and waiting on him, thus it was Manny who was setting the tempo and pace and was making Marquez react to what he was doing, huge advantage Pacquiao. In essence Pacquiao got what he wanted, and that was Marquez to fight him. Only Marquez realized he couldn't, at least not in a sustained fashion the way Pacquiao was forcing him to.

By the mid point of the sixth round Marquez was bleeding and his face was pretty busted up. And if time stopped a minute into the sixth round one would've said that Marquez was in peril of not making it through to the final bell this time. However, Juan Manuel Marquez is one extremely tough fighter both mentally and physically. One incredible thing about him is that, whatever is happening to him in the ring, he never gets discouraged.

He saw that Pacquiao was starting to get careless and was looking to escalate his attack and go after him, felt that he needed to make a statement in this fight. And Marquez used that to his advantage.

When all was said and done there were two things that enabled Marquez to land the biggest and most memorable punch of his career at the end of the sixth round. For starters, being that he put Pacquiao down and hurt him with one good clean right hand in the third round, I believe Marquez felt that he could really turn the fight around with one punch if he could get another one in on the pressing Pacquiao. The right hand that Marquez dropped Pacquiao with, because it was so explosive and visibly had Manny shaken, enabled Marquez, despite how much Pacquiao was taking it to him in the subsequent rounds, to never bail on the fight.

The other thing Marquez did was accept that in order to plant another big right on Pacquiao again, he was going to need to let Manny think it was safe to bring it and that he himself was going to have to eat a lot of leather in the process to sell Pacquiao on the idea that he could take his chances. Marquez accepted that it was going to hurt and there might not be the payoff that he was looking for, but it was his only chance to win. As he said after the fight, and I believe him, Pacquiao was gonna knock him out if he didn't do something.

Fast forward to the end of round six -- Pacquiao had Marquez on the run because he was forcing the issue and because Marquez wanted Pacquiao to think this fight wasn't as hard as he thought it would be and therefore, he hoped Manny would get a little complacent. And then boom, just as Pacquiao is bearing down on him and looks as if he's anticipating the bell to end the round, he's in front of Marquez with his lead right hand and back left hand around his chest, and Marquez cuts loose with a massive right hand over Manny's low guard as he's inching in and turned out the lights. Anyone watching could see that the moment the right hand connected, based on how Pacquiao was falling forward, the fight was over.

So what happened? Manny Pacquiao got caught with a big shot he didn't see, and one that he didn't believe Marquez was capable of delivering based on the previous three rounds. Prior to the knockout, Manny looked better prepared and more purposeful than he had in his previous three fights with Marquez. He just made a mistake in following a fighter who is the best counter-puncher in the sport, someone who has his number, at a time when his defensive urgency was declining because of what had unfolded over the previous eight or so minutes.

So let's not say that Pacquiao was a spent fighter entering the ring that night. Marquez had to go through hell in a virtual gasoline suit before his strategic desperation and internal character enabled him to land his lottery punch. And don't let that lottery punch designation take away from what Marquez realized during the fight and how he went about setting it up. Marquez is a great fighter and took advantage of Pacquiao's assertiveness and belief that Marquez was on the verge of just fighting to survive.

Pacquiao looked terrific until he got caught. He can still be a terror physically if he can find the urgency to prepare with a purpose if he fights again. However, no one knows what suffering such a devastating knockout will do to him psychologically, but it's a mistake to assume it's a given that he won't be affected by it. Then again if there is a fighter who could overcome such a setback, it's Manny Pacquiao.

Pacquiao-Marquez IV was a great fight. We saw the old Pacquiao head movement and aggression and his power was there because he was clearly hurting Marquez. He just got caught because he was a little too in control in his mind, and had a momentary lapse defensively against a fighter who's the wrong guy to have it against. And that caused him to walk into one he didn't see at a time when Marquez believed he not only needed a knockout to survive the fight, but was confident he could deliver it if Pacquiao cooperated just a little...and he did!

Juan Manuel Marquez caught Manny Pacquiao with a finishing right hand that he didn't see and knocked him out. That's boxing!

Both Manny and Juan are a credit to the sport of professional boxing and both showed extreme class after the fight. Pacquiao didn't make a single excuse for losing and Marquez was a very gracious winner.

Thank you Manny and Juan!

Frank Lotierzo can be contacted at GlovedFist@Gmai.com

tlig says:

Enough! How many articles do we have to read about this bout?

Not meaning to be disrespectful but this is getting boring. Sorry.

Borges has written one.
Hauser has put in work.
Woods predictably has thrown in three or four.
Lotierzo now.

All that not counting a host of others.

Stop.

Who's next?

deepwater says:

Enough! How many articles do we have to read about this bout?

Not meaning to be disrespectful but this is getting boring. Sorry.

Borges has written one.
Hauser has put in work.
Woods predictably has thrown in three or four.
Lotierzo now.

All that not counting a host of others.

Stop.

Who's next?

lol, this guy whole article is a summary of my comment a few days ago. this guy owes me 50%

tlig says:

Lol. Are you serious? I didn't see your comment. Hahaha, I guess I'm not the only one fed up. I didn't even bother reading the article.

Da game is often called "The threatre of the unexpected." It is also known to be seedy. And there are a lot of people quite greedy. Be it for money or glory, it is the same old story. It would not be to the benefit of the powers that be in Sin City to find Marquez full of syet. A large percentage of the fighters are juicing, interjecting and rubbing, and ain't gonna quit. The game is about making that money. Ain't a d@mn funny. So we shall quit talking about roids and PEDs A-SAP! Suck up it as a forever-going-on mishap.

"Manny Pacquiao Got Caught -- That's Boxing. And it is quite foxing. Da Manny, all the cyberspace bullies are mocking. Double fudge 'em! Now not a single one of 'em are gonna get syet in his Christmas stocking. Yall been naughty and not nice. Dat fat@ss Santa Claus oughta hit yall up 'em big ole wobbly noggins wif a bag of ice. Hehehe! Holla!

Robert Curtis says:

Enough! How many articles do we have to read about this bout?

Not meaning to be disrespectful but this is getting boring.

I have to disagree. I'm enjoying all the articles and comment threads. But maybe that's because I've been away so long, and I've missed all the fun, boxing-savvy minds here on TSS.

Frank's article is my favorite so far, followed closely by Ron Borges' piece. Although Ron got a bit too flowery with the "Aztec warrior" tongue bath he gave Marquez. I've always appreciated Mr. Lotierzo's writing. He's succinct, smart, and gets it right without trying too hard. Why not write ten more articles about this fight? It's certainly worth talking about.

I agree that Manny can get past this KO. He is spiritually strong, with a tough mind, and a big loving heart. The best fighters always fear God more than any man. Although, Manny probably should have feared Juan's right hand a little more Saturday night.

SouthPaul says:

Frank is all those things, indeed, he's also got a dash of being a blowhard and a pinch of over nostalgic. Some of these old school cats are like that or people or read, live, breathe the old testament. Tradition is fine but some of it needs to be left in the last centuries...

I want to here what #1 Pac fan has to say about his boi getting KO

dino da vinci says:

@tlig. Don't agree at all. If Frank doesn't have the sharpest mind in boxing of all writers, it wouldn't take but a name or two to get to his. Even if Frank is only agreeing with everything that has been previously stated, then that only serves to make it official.

dino da vinci says:

I've decided I'm not finished on the Frank topic.

@SouthPaul. Really? You wouldn't want to see Pacquiao-Marquez V? Two of boxing's All-Time best squaring off again? Frank was 1000% accurate in stating that da Manny was just starting to take complete control of the bout when the roof fell in. Pacquiao was two to three rounds away from forcing Bayless to make some hard decisions. But the brilliance of that amazing Hispanic, JMM, to find just the proper antidote, is what will get him enshrined exactly five years after he decides he's had enough. If it wasn't so sadistic, I could watch these little monsters wage war weekly.

The title says it all. Manny got caught. He was rushing in and he got blasted. It happens to the best of them. I'm proud of Radam's response to this world shaking event. The first thing I thought of after Manny hit the floor and I closed my mouth and put my eyeballs back in my head was what will RG say?

dino da vinci says:

Exactly. How crazy is it that the fight turned in a heartbeat and I thought simultaneously, "I won my wager, (+280, thank you very much) and I wonder the mental state of Radam G right now, and I'm not a hundred percent sure the exact order I thought them. I still maintain there's a small percentage chance that they (Pac & Rad) are one in the same.

Sir Roastalot, great post.

GANZ says:

I agree 100% "Manny Pacquiao Got Caught--That's Boxing!"
Sometimes we Zig, when we should have Zagged and sometimes we pay dear for it "That's Boxing!" Like a guy once told me YOU PLAY Football , Basketball, YOU PLAY Baseball and Hockey BUT YOU DONT PLAY BOXING!

P.S I could not pick a winner so I went with the under 10 1/2 Rnds +230 "Cha-Ching"

Coxs Corner says:

Best article of the lot. Frank really understands what takes place in the ring better than writers who have never boxed. Well stated.

GANZ says:

Your right Coxs Corner, I have often thought about some of these writers, its like someone writing about surfing and never have been in the ocean.

kidcanvas says:

well written as usual frank ... dont listen to these know it all's.. keep it up m8

SouthPaul says:

SouthPaul says:

I've decided I'm not finished on the Frank topic.

I don't disagree with either of your guys' assessment of the fourth fight. Spot on! Lovely stuff, but no, given the choice, then I'd rather not see a fifth fight. 1,2,3, and the fourth ending in an all time greatest highlight of this era? Leave it be I say... Beautiful way to close the curtain on that rivalry. Here's the part I think you and Frank are losing me and some others on... While I do not want to see a fifth fight (neither am I disputing the entertainment of all 4 bouts) (1,2,3,4, 5!) I most definitely want to see each fighter in the ring again but with just different opponents. I ain't calling for either man to retire. They both performed at a very high level...so yea... Bring both these greats back. I'd like to see Marquez test a few of the up comers. Broner vs Marquez would be fantastic. Pacquiao vs Danny Garcia would be awesome too.

I truly ... Genuinely...sincerely .... Understand the greatness we witnessed between Marquez and Pacquaio. Brilliant stuff. Just want to point that out cuz Frank seem to take the stance some of us missed that and somehow we lack boxing IQ. We get it! Lol, or at least I do.

Ganz, actually you do play boxing. Just viciously and with legal mayhem. Ninety-nine of us boxers refer to the sports as "Da game." It brings us money and fame. And we love to call its name. And it is our game. Parsing of words is a bit lame. Holla!

SouthPaul says:

Home » News Roundup » Justin Bieber told to apologize
Justin Bieber told to apologize
Posted by Online on Dec 18th, 2012 // No Comment
By CHARISSA M. LUCI
Manila, Philippines – Issue a public apology or else be declared as “persona non grata” and be banned from entering the Philippines.
This was the warning issued by YACAP party-list Rep. Carol Jayne B. Lopez, along with six other House members, as they filed House Resolution (HR) No. 2962 demanding a public apology from Canadian teen singing sensation Justin Bieber for mocking Filipino boxing idol and Sarangani Rep. Manny Pacquiao after he was knocked out by Mexican Juan Manuel Marquez last December 9.

“Having obviously gained financially from the outcome of his concert in this beloved country of the Hon. Pacquiao, Mr. Justin Bieber should have been more circumspect and prudent in the expression of his views more particularly because just like the Hon. Pacquiao, he is supposedly also being idolized by the youth in addition to the fact that the Hon. Pacquiao is a duly-elected representative of the people of Sarangani Province, whom Mr. Bieber has indirectly hurt and insulted when he made his distasteful posts,” the resolution said.
It would be recalled that Bieber staged a blockbuster concert at the Mall of Asia last May.
Joining Lopez in chiding Bieber for posting a few memes on Instagram last December 10 include Zamboanga del Norte Rep. Seth Frederick P. Jalosjos, Manila Rep. Amado S. Bagatsing, Palawan Rep. Antonio C. Alvarez, PBA party-list Rep. Mark Aeron H. Sambar, Ako Bicol party-list Rep. Alfredo A. Garbin Jr., and Ating Koop party-list Rep. Isidro Q. Lico.
Rallying behind their colleagues, the lawmakers cited in the resolution that Pacquiao is a “well-loved, respected, and admired icon not only in this country but of the entire world, because of his humility despite all his achievements which no one has ever exceeded in boxing history.”
“Mr. Bieber should have known that the Hon. Pacquiao has reached his stature as such as a result of sheer hardwork, determination, and firm belief in God, and despite such stature best exemplifies humility and grace even despite defeat,” the resolution added.
The House members, led by Lopez scoffed at Bieber for posting on Instagram a photoshopped image of the Disney character Simba that is seen leaning over Pacquiao who was knocked out of consciousness, and captioned “Dad, wake up.”
In another image, Pacquiao’s body before hitting the floor was photoshopped next to the late singer Michael Jackson, with the caption “Pacquiao doing the lean with MJ. Classic moment.”
Bieber, a clear supporter of Floyd Mayweather Jr., also made a comment that the American boxer whom he accompanied during a ringside fight last May “has nothing to gain fighting Pacquiao.”
“Wherefore, be it resolved as it is hereby resolved that Mr. Justin Bieber issue a public apology to the Hon. Emmanuel D. Pacquiao and the Filipino people for the distasteful comments he made after the Hon. Pacquiao suffered a knock-out in the hands of Juan Manuel Maquez of Mexico, and should he refuse to do so, that Mr. Justin Bieber be declared persona non grata and thus should not be allowed to enter the country at any time in the future,” HR 2962 said.

We live in a crazy world! I guess that you can call it the theatre -- I mean da world -- of the unexpected. JB can go to Michigan, the birth place of Money May. And, without bodyguards, walk the streets where Money May grow up. JB would get his arse fudged up, especially because he is famous foreigner.

He was our guest of honor in the P-Island. Now he is on da double fudge to-be-f**ked up list. Hahaha! Just jivin' and convivin and high fivin!' Holla!

SouthPaul says:

Floyd's got Bieber....Manny's got PSY. Holla'. Lmao.