HE LEFT NO DOUBT Trout Beats Cotto, Via UD, at MSG

BY Michael Woods ON December 01, 2012

003 Trout vs Cotto IMG 1807Cotto looked like his face got run over by a tractor. Readers, should he hang up the gloves, after two straight losses? (Tom Casino)

Miguel Cotto picked the wrong opponent to fight in the main event at Madison Square Garden on Saturday night. That was apparent pretty early on, as he was a step behind, in foot speed and hand speed, and had difficulty cornering the slick mover Trout. By midway, Cotto's face started to swell up, and Trout, a legit 154 pounder, didn't wilt from the left hooks and too-few body shots from the Puerto Rican. After twelve rounds, we heard the verdict, and that confirmed what our eyes saw.

Judge Byrd had 119-109, and Poturaj and Weisfeld saw it 117-111, for Trout, who pre-fight told the world he needed a KO to insure the win, but actually just needed to box the way he did pre-Cotto fight to get the job done.

Cotto, as he hurriedly left the ring, indicated that he thought he won. Later, he said, "I was satisfied with the job I did. I will go back to Puerto Rico and think. He was a southpaw, difficult to fight. I felt I did my job, it was a great fight, we fought until the end. I'm thankful to all of my fans who came to see me tonight, there's no place to fight like Madison Square Garden."

There will be massive second guessing on the part of Team Cotto for choosing Trout, though I think it fair not to hammer them. They picked a tough foe, a guy who it is hard to look good against, who deserved a shot. They didn't duck or dodge Austin Trout, and should be commended for that.

The 37-3 hitter out of Caguas, PR was 153.6 on Friday, and the 25-0 New Mexico fighter Trout (age 27) was 154 after dropping trou.

In the first, Cotto, age 32, ate a hard shot which maybe gave Trout the round. Trout moved, his feet and his torso, and was hard to hit in the second. Cotto ended the round with a bang but Trout's quick hands, jab, movement and mastery of the distance troubled him. Cotto tried to close the distance, walk Trout down but the underdog was slippery. The PR fighter did land some left hooks in a tight round. In round five, Trout went low, and was warned. He backed up a ton and I wondered what the judges would think of that. Cotto landed the three best launches of the round, and by now had Trout coming to him. The sixth was tight, once again, but it looked like maybe the two hardest punches of the round were landed by Cotto in the sixith and in the seventh. Trout took the eighth, with smart movement and crisp launches. In the ninth, Cotto turned away, saying he was hit low. Trout worked harder in the round; could Cotto get a second wind? In the 10th, Trout impressed more but then Cotto comboed late. Did he steal the round, or make it even? In round 11, Trout looked fresher. Both men missed a bunch, but Trout trapped Miguel on the ropes and threw. Miguel landed at least two crisp counters. In the 12th, Cotto backed up too much. His face swollen, backpedaling, he sent the wrong message.

Jayson Velez gave Puerto Ricans hope that a PR prospect will pan out as he blasted out overmatched Mexican Salvador Sanchez in 38 seconds elapsed of round three, by TKO, as the ref stopped the scrap. Sal, wearing his Uncle Salvador's trunks from his last fight before he died in a car accident in 1982, was never in it. He went down in the second and was not sturdy in the third. Velez, a Cotto Promotions boxer, won a feather crown.

Danny Jacobs got rounds in and made fellow middleweight Chris Fitzpatrick quit after five. Fitz was durable, and earned his check. Brooklyn's Jacobs, back after cancer nearly felled him last year, took his time, went lefty then righty, and cracked with the right hand. A cut opened on Fitzy's crown in the third but he moved enough and had a hard enough noggin to make it a couple more rounds. Jacobs said after he heard the boos and apologized for being patient. He will be back in the ring on the Feb. 9 show.

Follow me on Twitter here https://twitter.com/#!/Woodsy1069.

Wow! A new fish is swimming. Holla!

Shoulder Roll Defense says:

I think I might be the only poster that picked Trout to win. There were some posters that were on the fence and said that he had a chance, but nobody else clearly stated that they predicted Trout to win by decision. As I previously stated in my earlier prediction, Trout was the better athlete and technician. His reach, size advantage, and "ice water vein" calmness/confidence carried the day. The Canelo management team should wisely stay clear of Trout. Please serve a big plate of CROW to Radam G and all the other posters that said Trout was going to get served like a plate of baked fish. Holla!

Brave Call DaveB...... spot on with your prediction. My vote for Cotto as more of a sympathy vote but I eat may crow with pride...hope Cotto can walk away..he looked like he got old out there tonight.
Not to take away from the excellent effort by the fresher and highly skilled Trout.
You see Canelo left the building before the post fight interview. He doesn't want none.
And I don't believe it's because of Trout's relative lack of name recognition. Alvarez showed no shame when it came to fighting Josisito Lopez.

Kind of sad and Creepy watching Salvadore Sanchez's (RIP) nephew sporting tight 1970's style trunks and the famous Sanchez Fro...but none of his uncles skills ... the kid had no business being thrown in a title eliminator. I think Radam mentioned a few posts ago that the kid couldn't fight...what an accurate comment that was.

Just a half of plate of crow. I did think that MC could win from the jump. But I guess that he is in a slump. He had no pump. And fought to low and in a hump. With that way of gettin' down, you can beat nobody's rump. And end up looking like the chump. Holla!

Good call SRD..... you and Dave B both chose Trout. Farewell Cotto we're gonna miss ya.. please don't embarrass yourself like the other fighters who don't know when to hang em up.

Cotto in done!! I was impressed with Trout but Canelo will fu$k Trout up.

SRD u hot fam I'm putting money on your next pick no BS

DaveB says:

Thanks B-Sug. I'm never going to say anything bad about Cotto. He is one of the truly classy guys in boxing. I think he still can fight Canelo and it would be a fight the people would want to see. Cotto is like Holyfield, the guy is never in a bad fight. Alvarez/Cotto could be like when Margarito lost to Williams and the public still wanted to see Cotto vs. Margarito. I think Cotto lost tonight but he put out a good effort and only he can answer how much punishment he wants to take. There never seems to be an easy fight for him.

Canelo don't want to fight any one that technical....I bet they force Trout to fight Lara next.

spit bucket says:

Cotto got old in the 9th. I hate seeing his entire family cringe/hold back tears as he is getting pummeled. Their eyes seemed to be pleading, "dad, please retire."
As for Trout, he's really good! Never seen him before and would like to see him fight Canelo... another good matchup that will not happen any time soon.

SRD u hot fam I'm putting money on your next pick no BS

DaveB says:

spit bucket says:

Yep closer than the score suggests..... sad to see Cotto lose but there's no mercy in the ring.

SouthPaul says:

Always great to see a man walk out of the shadows of boxing and win the sweet science lottery. Lovely!

Things just a bit more interesting. Canelo vs Trout or does this clear the way for Canelo vs MAyweather? I think Floyd will go the safer route and pick up the Guerrero chips before he comes efffin' with Alvarez. Canelo boogied 'da **** out of that joint like la migra busted in. Lmao.

Trout was the bigger and faster fighter tonight. This is why slick leftys are avoided. Cotto was never able to hurt Trout or get him in any trouble. Congrats to Austin Trout for a huge win.

Cotto will not retire. And the game is so seedy. And Big Money O and company is greedy. Cotto may still get the lottery bout with the red-headed hype. That is the true money fight. And the game is all about money. Ain't darn the funny. Holla!

Carmine Cas says:

I was at the fight, it's crazy how ones perception is so different live because of the angle you see the ring. A lot of people thought the fight was close, I had strong feeling before the fight Trout was going to win. Canelo dipped lol

SouthPaul says:

Cotto will not retire. And the game is so seedy. And Big Money O and company is greedy. Cotto may still get the lottery bout with the red-headed hype. That is the true money fight. And the game is all about money. Ain't a darn thing funny. Holla!

I'll take that holla and up you one because I totally had the same exact feeling. All Judah needed to do was get Baldomir out of the way and he'd have the MAyweather bout. He loses, and low and behold, they still move forward with Judah vs Maywether. Here we go again (these were the thoughts spinning in my hamster wheel mind)...

Good fight. Trout stepped it up and showed he had more to offer than his previous fights. He is a fighter who fights just above the level of his competition. Cotto looked good, not bad not great but good. No need to retire. I don't get fighters who retire not because of age or wear and tear but because they want to spend more time with their family when they are with their family 24/7 for 5 months between fights before leaving for 4-8 weeks for camp and the repeat. I mean they get more family time tan those of us who work jobs and only see their families 2 hours a night before bed time.
Wow at Canelo for dipping out like some one put a hit on him.
I'm still cool with a cotto Canelo fight just because cotto is never in a bad fight.
Happy for trout tho too.

B-Sug Golden boy don't want him to fight somebody technical I think he's ready for any style

kidcanvas says:

i picked trout also ..he could fight and adapt in real time, cotto cant plus having a guy who throws more jabs a rd than anyone in the game was the killer... they didnt check him out to well

bigstinkybug says:

[COLOR="#FF0000">i had thought Trout would give Cotto alot of trouble..but what i didn't expect was how big Trout was. Trout looked huge.

Maybe he looked so much bigger because Miguel is a stubby, smallest light middleweight with close-in-shoulders, and Miguel's actual height is about 5-foot-6 though he's often listed at 5'7 to 5'8. Trout is wide-broad shouldered with a narrow-arse lower body and maybe a c-hair over 5-foot-9, though he was listed at 5'9 and a half. Holla!

mortcola says:

Based on past fights, just didn't think trout had the offensive game to do what he did. Not only was the size difference huge, but Cotto was SSSLLLOOOWWW, and kept throwing those high sweeping hooks that Trout went back and under from. really superior all around boxing job.

dino da vinci says:

Wow at Canelo for dipping out like some one put a hit on him.
Happy for trout tho too.

Great post.

mortcola says:

Nothing about this fight suggests that Canelo-Cotto shouldn't happen. I do think Cotto looked slower and a bit stiffer than in the past, but possibly because he was forced to lunge and fight outside his comfortable range against a guy both much quicker, with slick movement, and much longer. Canelo is a very different animal, there to be hit, matched dimensions. I'm just worried that Cotto is reaching that too-many-wars phase. Still, a logical fight, just a lower price tag.

SouthPaul says:

Truthfully, you may be on to something. Its still watchable. A different animal for sure, he'll put more metal to the pedal than Trout and Cotto likely ain't finishing on his feet. I like the young buck by late ko.

Was I the only one who thought Jayson Velez came off a bit on the sweet side? Lmao.

Latest Articles

jessievargasmakesfirstworldtitledefense
cangolovkinbeasuperstar
issergeykovalevthenextggg
riospromisesqtheoldbambamqagainstchaves
sugarrayleonardwillbeataug9nevadaboxinghallgala
kovalevwillhavemorethancaparelloonhismindaugust2nd
quotesfromfinalkovalevcaparellopresser
sadamaliandanthonypetersontofightatbarclaysaug9
adrienbroneremmanueltayloronforsept6incincy
ideasforprovodnikovsnextrioschaveswinnerherreraandmaybebradley

Who's the best Mexican boxer today?