Juan Manuel Marquez Conference Call Recap

BY Rick Folstad ON November 27, 2012

Pacquiao Marquez LA PC 120917 009aIf there’s a shred of self- doubt lurking in the heart and soul of Mexican tough-guy Juan Manuel Marquez, he’s done a pretty good job of hiding it. If it exists, it’s buried under the frustration of knowing you did enough to win, but they never handed you the blue ribbon.

Three times he’s fought Manny Pacquiao and three times he’s gone home with the bitter taste of coming in second or tied in fights he thought he won, fights that could have been decided with a coin flip.

For Marquez, his last fight with Pacquiao was probably the most exasperating loss of the trilogy. That was a fight that many at ringside thought he won. It should have been the equalizer, leveling off the score to 1-1-1 instead of 0-2-1 in favor of Pacquiao. But that’s the fight game. Too many decisions are still a crap shoot.

So now Marquez, a three-division champ, gets another chance to beat Pacquiao, and though it probably doesn’t seem fair, he knows his only guarantee of a win might come with a knockout. That’s because they can’t rob you of points and a win if the referee is standing over the other guy counting him out.

Of course, stopping Pacquiao is like stopping a runaway train. He’s almost impossible to slow down and there’s a good chance there will be casualties.

“It’s going to be difficult to knock him out, but not impossible,” said Marquez on a Tuesday conference call promoting his fourth fight with Pacquiao, scheduled for Dec. 8 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on HBO pay-per-view. “I think I needed a KO the last time.”

A KO sure would have helped the last time. But that’s why a knockout is part of his fight plan for this fight. Old habits are hard to break, and he’s gone winless in three close tries against Pacquiao.

“Without a doubt, I thought I won the (last) fight clearly,” he said. “The only ones who didn’t think I won were the judges.”

Fighting as welterweights, the two will be fighting for what the WBO calls the “Champion of the Decade.” The WBO even commissioned a designer to come up with a new title belt.

Asked if he was concerned about the judging again, Marquez took the high road, saying he couldn’t concern himself with something out of his control. He had other things on his agenda to concentrate on, like Pacquiao and what he might do different this time around.

Or what he might do the same.

“The only thing I’m asking is that the judges be fair,” Marquez said. “And I have all the faith in the world that they will do the fair thing.”

Optimism and faith are rare partners in the fight game.

Will his four fights with Pacquiao be his legacy? Marquez said he’d like to think his career is a little more complex than that.

“You can’t (quantify) my career on just four fights,” he said. “A lot of my fights were very important to my career. I’m very happy with what I’ve done in the ring and I’m very happy to have these four fights with Manny.”

When his fighting days are finally over, someone asked Marquez what he thought his relationship with Pacquiao might be.

“My relationship with him is one of respect,” he said. “I respect him and I think he respects me. We’re professionals and we carry that respect into the ring with us.

“When we’re done fighting, I definitely will sit down with him and we can start a friendship. Everything will be left in the ring. In the future, I don’t see why we couldn’t start a friendship.”

But it sure would be nice to have a blue ribbon.

SouthPaul says:

I don't like the Idea of Roach accusing JMM of juicing. He's crazier than a **** house rat if he thinks muscling up can't be done without PED use. The man is a world class athlete has spent his entire life staying in shape so it ain't no shocker he'd be able to pack some muscle on even at his age. His numbers aren't the average Joe's number. This is what he does for a effffin' living. If Roach himself can stay in real good shape having Parkinson's disease why shouldn't we be able to believe a fully healthy capable man can't muscle up some (Freddie got some nice little muscled up arms!). The baseless PED accusations (this includes everyone) need to cease!

SouthPaul, Top-notch-trainer ready Freddie "No Joke Coach" Roach is not in the belief that Marquez cannot gain muscles. My 109-year-old Tio Mamoy has muscles from toe to head. But not bulking ones in such a short period of time. But who cares about that jive. It is just for show. It's an aura of toughness to people who don't know that it is not size that wins the prize, but skills to pay the bills.

Marquez is on roids -- legal ones to instantly puff up his muscles, and probably illegal syet that heals him quickly from soreness and minor tears in his muscle that come with aging. C'mon SouthPaul, put on you thinking cap. There is a blue pill and some other jive that will give limp-penis dudes a hard puff with size increasement. So don't be shock about an athlete going there with his whole body. Holla!

SouthPaul says:

Lmao at the 109 year old uncle comment. I must meet this Tio Mamoy character. Sounds like my kinda company. Drink a few San Miguels talk up the Manila yesteryears. Jeff Lacy type muscles aren't winning against top notch opponents but let's say had he crafted his punching technique would it have mattered then? What I am getting at is here you have a guy who actually does have skills to pay the bills..a fighter who throws pretty accurate punches..a fighter who knows how to turn over a proper punch...if he then adds some strength to all that... I'm thinking it very well could be usuful in this up coming quadruple match up. School me. Yes or no, and put the affection for Roach aside for a moment! Lol

Great points cockroach sounds like a hypocrite

Marquez is muscling for effect upon the judges. He knows muscles don't mean monster-rabbit syet in combat amongst the combatants. But to those fanfaronades, fanboys and sexy-fitness-crazed judges, Marquez is convinced that it matters big time, especially since muscled-up fighters have been getting controverial wins.

Muscled-up Berto got one over Jose Colzallo a while back. Peterson got one over Khan and Bradley got one over Da Manny. Steroid-filled bods are in nowadays from sports' stars to movie stars and average joes.

Marquez wants every edge that he can get -- hook, crook, book or steroids snook. And roids are not being use to help his fighting, but to support his now-I-am-a-monster-look game. Dude is trying to get the WOOO impression from the judges, so that they will be blinded from Da Manny thumpin' his crybaby @ss.

A bout starts long before entering that squared jungle. You put syet in the minds of the judges, scribes and fanfaronades pre-bout and when the rumble get started, for your arse they will favor and shout. Marquez aims is to win by the look, not the jab, straight, uppercut and hook. Holla!

SCLA Ali, you are Mister xenophobic and a Pinoy hater. You are so Romney-ized that the 47 percent in yo' chameleon arse won't let you admit to it. You hate Da Manny and no joke coach Roach because they have punked da stuffing outta Money May. He won't fight Da Manny for any amount of pay. Also he won't fight Da Manny under Olympic-style testing, because Money May is the one with syet in him. Holla!

The Roid attack by Roach was mostly done for the purpose of getting Marquez out of the zone.. to get him thinking about something else besides his strategy. Marquez is too smart to bite off that basket. He'll be maintaining his Zen-like preflight meditation until it's time to fight.

Zen must be on roids too. And injected and fed JMM dat syet. Dude got muscles all around the orbituals and up in the nostrils. Wow! Dude is gonna be shedding some giant-steroid crocodile tears and nose-dripping rattlesnake-size snot after Da Manny torch dat arse. Holla!

SouthPaul says:

The woo impression reminds me of Mosley vs Forrest part one. Mosley when describing Forrest's right hand...everybody says woooooooo but it's really no big deal. His words. Tha' is until he had Shane slobbering and staggering and dropped.

I think imma' go out on a limb and say Jmm is going to ko Manny. Radam, that's my prediction!

Quit drnking the water, SouthPaul. SCLA Ali has been pouring mad-scientist haterrade tailor-made against Pinoys and Da Manny. Dat syet will mess up your thinking and feet. Go and sip on some shark blood and the juice of a16-pound beet. You will come back to reality and outta of dat daze of lost yo' darn mind. Hehe! Holla!

SouthPaul says:

I've been laser like accurate with my fight predictions in 2012, Radam, with the exception of Berto vs Guerrero. And I plan to file for an exemption on tha' one being Berto was suffering from amnesia. What he did would be akin to a NASCAR driver rolling out on the racetrack in a Ford Pinto. Either way some sort of loss of memory and identity. That pick is stricken from the record books for all those who backed Berto.

I'll sleep on it, but yes, I do believe I'll be picking Jmm. The doughnut peddler who became a fighter who became politician and gods right hand man. The fighter ferocity is no longer there, my TSS friend.

Hehehe! We will see. BTW, JC was a boozer, ho chaser/pimp and a gambler. Da Holy Dude turned water into wine and got all the darn Hebrews drunk. He followed the ho Mary Magdalene around so much that she started kissing His Holy Feet. Then when some hypocrites wanted to touch her up, Jesus got all flexed and warned those who have not sin to throw the first rock. They walked away and you know that they were saying Jesus is blank, blanking her. And you know JC gambled and lost, and started crying to Big Holy Poppa Up High: "Danggit! Pops! Have Thou Forsaken Me?"

BHPUH said, "Nald! Shut Thou @ss up! You Are just gonna taste some weak-arse Roman death for three days. And then You are coming to Me. Then in 2012, ____ ____ _____. Hahaha! To be continued from Sin City after the beatdown of the crybaby. Holla!

SouthPaul says:

Lmao. All joes aside ...truly and sincerely .... Just hoping we get a definitive winner one way or another. Preferably in form of a ko. No judges needed, please.

Bernie Campbell says:

Manny had the onions to nix Gay Marriage in the press! 1 week later is the Bradley fight! Expect the same ladies and gentelman! Manny is the real Champion!