Chad Dawson's KO By

BY The Sweet Science ON October 08, 2012

WardDawson TJHogan9Boxing would be well served to have a policy in place to deal with damage suffered in the gym, in sparring. (Hogan)

The Greek dramatist Aeschylus (525-456 BC) wrote, “The first casualty of war is truth.”

Boxing is war. And while the essence of ring combat is truth, a lot of what goes on behind the scenes is neither honorable nor honest. With that in mind, there’s an issue relating to the September 8th fight in Oakland between Andre Ward and Chad Dawson that should be explored.

Ward entered the fight with an unblemished 25-and-0 record. By virtue of his “super six” tournament conquests, he was widely recognized as super-middleweight champion of the world. Dawson sported a 30-and-1 ledger and was the #1 light-heavyweight in boxing.

Prior to the bout, rumors circulated that Dawson had been knocked down and badly hurt by Edison Miranda in a sparring session. Team Dawson denied the rumors. Walter Kane (Chad’s attorney) says that, to his knowledge, no one from the California State Athletic Commission asked anyone in the Dawson camp about them. Dawson underwent the usual pro forma pre-fight medical examination, but that’s all.

In the fight itself, Chad looked tentative and weak. He’d been knocked down twice before in his career; by Eric Harding in 2006 and Tomasz Adamek a year later. Each time, he’d gotten up and won a unanimous decision by a comfortable margin.

Ward knocked Dawson down in the third, fourth, and tenth rounds en route to a tenth-round stoppage. Andre is a superb fighter, but he’s not a knockout puncher. In Ward’s previous eight outings, the only opponent he’d KO’d was Shelby Pudwell (who was knocked out by John Duddy in one round). In the entire “Super Six” tournament, Andre didn’t knock an opponent down.

After Ward-Dawson, the rumors multiplied. Miguel Diaz told BoxingScene.com that, in the ninth round of a ten-round sparring session, “Miranda executed something that I'd been telling him to do the whole workout - left, right hand, left hook - and he knocked him [Dawson] down. It was devastating for me because I don't want to see something like that, but it happened. He was hurt. He tried to get up. He went down again and got up. I screamed to Rafael Garcia [Dawson’s assistant trainer], 'Come and help him.'"

On September 14th, Diaz told this writer that Dawson was knocked down by Miranda, fell on his face, tried to get up, and pitched face-first into the ring ropes.

On September 19th, John Scully (Dawson’s trainer) added fuel to the fire when he sent out a mass email that read, “Just a note for future reference: If before a big fight - or ANY fight, really - it doesn't matter if my boxer has gotten hit by a tractor trailer three days ago, been dropped seven times in sparring, lost 42 pounds in the steam room over the course of one week, and just GOT dropped to his knees in the gym five minutes before you ask . . . I'm still telling you he feels great. What else can a fighter or his trainer be expected to say?”

So what really happened?

This past week, I spoke with Kane, Scully, and Dawson. They all told me the same thing.

“I got knocked down,” Chad acknowledged. “But it was a flash knockdown. I wasn’t hurt. I got back up right away and finished the rest of the sparring session. Stuff like that happens all the time in boxing. The only reason we didn’t talk about it was, I knew people would make a big deal out of it and it wasn’t a big deal.”

Scully elaborated on that theme, saying, “Chad was sparring ten rounds that day. He got hit with a left hook in the ninth round. He went down. He got up. He was fine. He finished the round and then he finished the next round, so he sparred all ten rounds, which was what we planned for the day.”

“There’s some self-serving talk in what Miguel Diaz is saying,” Scully added. “That might be why he’s exaggerating the way he is. If you read what Miguel said, it was Miranda hit Chad with a combination that Miguel was telling him to throw. Do you really think that we would have allowed Chad to finish the round and then spar another round after that if he’d been hurt like Miguel says?”

“I wasn’t in the gym,” Kane told me. “But I heard the rumors and I asked about them. I believe what Chad and Scully are saying.”

I believe Chad and Scully too.

But that raises another issue. Suppose Dawson had been dazed or, worse, concussed? What would have been the proper course of action to follow?

The issue might be defused insofar as Chad is concerned. But it’s still out there for incidents involving other fighters in the future.

We live in the real world. Boxing is about making money. The bigger the fight, the more money will be lost if a fight is cancelled because a fighter has suffered a debilitating blow to the head in training.

Here, the thoughts of Dr. Margaret Goodman (former chief ringside physician and chairperson of the medical advisory board for the Nevada State Athletic Commission) are instructive.

“You don’t have to be knocked unconscious to suffer a concussion,” Dr. Goodman says. “That’s one reason a ring doctor evaluates each fighter immediately after every fight. There’s only one thing to do if a fighter is dazed in the gym. You take him to an emergency room or a comparable facility with similarly skilled doctors to be evaluated immediately. And you keep him there for a while after he has been examined so he can be observed by trained professionals.”

“There are no studies that I’m aware of on this point,” Dr. Goodman continues. “But my educated guess is that, more often than not when a fighter dies in a fight, it comes after he was hurt in the gym. If someone suffers a concussion, even a minor concussion, and is hit in the head again a week or two afterward, the damage can be additive, permanent, and even life-threatening. If a fighter is knocked out in a fight, he isn’t allowed to take punishment to the head for at least forty-five days. You can’t have a different safety standard for a fighter who suffers head trauma in the gym. And you certainly can’t have a bunch of lay people in the fighter’s camp saying, ‘It’s okay; he can still fight.’ That’s a recipe for disaster.”

For those who think that Dr. Goodman is overly cautious and overly protective of fighters, the thoughts of Freddie Roach are equally instructive. Asked what he’d do if one of his fighters suffered a debilitating blow to the head while preparing for a megafight, Roach answered, “The trainer’s job is to protect his fighter. You report something like that to the proper authorities. If you don’t, that’s how fighters get killed.”

All of this leads to one last issue: If Dawson wasn’t thrown off his game by head trauma suffered in sparring, why was he so outclassed by Ward? Is Andre that good?

John Scully thinks he knows the answer.

“After the fight, Chad was a gracious loser,” Scully says. “He told everyone that Ward is a great champion and the better man won. I respect Chad for that, but I want to tell you something. And this isn’t an excuse, because when someone tells the truth, it isn’t an excuse.”

“Chad is a light-heavyweight,” Scully continues. “Chad has fought for years at 175 pounds. And to get this fight, he had to go down to 168. Chad had trouble making weight, a lot of trouble. The weight didn’t come off like he thought it would. Making weight weakened him badly. He had to lose something like nine pounds the last two days. That’s why he looked the way he did in the fight. It wasn’t about being hurt in the gym because that didn’t happen. When a fighter goes down to a weight division lower than the one he’s been fighting in for years, he’s not the same fighter. Look at Chris Byrd against Shaun George. Byrd went from heavyweight to 175 pounds for that fight, and Shaun knocked him all over the place before he knocked Byrd out. Byrd beat Vitali Klitschko, David Tua, and Evander Holyfield. None of those guys even knocked him down. And no disrespect to Shaun George; are you telling me that he hits harder than those guys hit? Andre Ward is good. But it was the weight, man. It was the weight.”

As for Dawson, he won’t talk about the weight other than to say, “I don’t expect to fight at 168 pounds again. I’ll be back at 175 and I expect to be successful.”

Thomas Hauser can be reached by email at thauser@rcn.com. His most recent book (And the New: An Inside Look at Another Year in Boxing) was published recently by the University of Arkansas Press.

comanick says:

Dawson and Scully = Lame.

The weight probably was the problem but to bring it up after the fact is lame. You asked for the fight. Nobody was talking ward-dawson until dawson brought it up on national tv. This is simply a case of someones mouth writing a check their azz couldn't cash and making these excuses after the fact just makes them look worse.

deepwater says:

got clipped in sparring waah waah. this is the hurt business. please dnt cry now and make excuses. the facts are almost every fighter gets clipped in sparring. thats where the fight is won. you get clipped you recover then repeat. next time your sparrring partner knocks you out , maybe you should rethink your career or at least have scully say you sprained your knee or something. floyd sr was right. no balls anymore

BOXING COACH says:

NEWSFLASH: no excuses are beign made, no one is bringing it up...reporter digs and asks questions, fighter and trainer answer them. no questions are asked and this article isnt even written and this information isnt ast your disposal...

SouthPaul says:

Per usual Hauser bringing the best detail ..going straight to the root of the talk. Nice. Even without weight issues DAwson likely would not have beaten Ward. Andre is simply much more of a special fighter. Thats the bottomline, IMO, and I'm sure it's the consensus of the boxing community in whole.

deepwater says:

excuse= “Chad has fought for years at 175 pounds. And to get this fight, he had to go down to 168. Chad had trouble making weight, a lot of trouble. The weight didn’t come off like he thought it would. Making weight weakened him badly. He had to lose something like nine pounds the last two days. That’s why he looked the way he did in the fight." remember all the bs from scully and chad that weight wasnt an issue b4 the fight. chad was on weight blah blah blah. dont serve a crap sandwich and say its a steak sandwich. the truth is chad should not of went down in weight if he couldnt handle it. the truth is chad got whooped and quit. anything after the fact is just noise. goodluck at lt heavy.

Great point nobody is making excuses just answering questions

BOXING COACH says:

how is it an excuse? something has to be a lie? if it really happened they shouldnt say so? keep it under wraps, pretend it didnt happen? should Ali 's people have never mentioned that he was on thyroid medication and other things that drained his body beyond belief back in 1980 or should they just let people believe that that was all the doing of Larry Holmes? Ward is a very good fighter! But he didnt see the best of Chad Dawson. No excuses, just reasons on their part.

BOXING COACH says:

so in your honest opinion if a boxer is having trouble before the fight making weight the fighter and the trainer should say so? yeah ok, gotcha...

SouthPaul says:

Boxing coach

Do you think Chad even with the comfort of fighting in his weight class would beat Ward? I don't and I like the guy.. Him and Scully, both solid people, but Ward is simply in another league than Chad.

Moreso than weight someone needs to get thru to Chad and tell him he needs to try to perfect consistency. Dude goes MIA from round to round ...passive ... Disinterested .. Who knows but he'd need to work out those issues even before the weight drained debacle.

BOXING COACH says:

I guess I can only believe rthe fight would be much better if Dawson were very comfortable at 175. I truly 100 percent believe Chad Dawson is a real problem to deal with when he is motivated and ready to go.

SouthPaul says:

I'm open minded to see it at 175 and even open minded that Chad may represent himself better but I'd still expect Ward to win.

It was what it was. Everything else is just a footnote of alibis. Holla!@

SouthPaul says:

4sho'. Different division, similar outcome.

I think the coach and Chad both know this in their heart of hearts.

deepwater says:

Chad was 100% before fight he even went away to camp. He said right before the fight he was great with the weight.evryone said it. He got shutout and beat down and told smoger he didn't want anymore. That's the reality. After the result we hear about difficulty in weight and getting clipped by Miranda. Ok. You can believe whatever you want .wont change reality.

mortcola says:

Every fighter comes into a fight at some kind of disadvantage. Small injuries, big injuries, soreness, painful nose cartilage. The need to dry out to make weight is one of the most difficult and universal kinds of disadvantage. Guys come in uncomfortable, hungry, fatty-acid and electrolyte depleted unless every little detail has been handled just so. In training, if you have worthy sparring partners, you're going to take blows, you're going to have your bell rung. The deal is, you take the fight, you decide whether you can do it in this division, presumably because you know what you, or your fighter, is capable of. And then you prevail, or you don't. And one day, your fighter doesn't have it anymore and you urge him to retire. But until then, you have loads of explanations for why things may not have gone the way you wanted in the ring, but most of those explanations make lousy excuses. All boxers suffer, all are on borrowed time.

agree 100 %, nice

BOXING COACH says:

so if you were a boxer and lost under the same circumstances you would keep it a secret and just swallow the insults levied at you as a result? as a human being, I think not.

Ditto Doc Mortcola! Alibi throwers and excuse makers, sit yall arses in dat chair, and LISTEN! Swallow da knowledge from da shrink. And you won't be on the edge-of-a-disaster brink. Hehe! Holla!

dino da vinci says:

Our resident crazy is running around saying insane things again. Might wanna go easy with the shrink comments there, RG. Stop telling people 'The Keed' couldn't fight, some newbe is liable to believe you.

deepwater says:

I sure would. I wouldnt talk out of both sides of my mouth. I wouldnt lie to the people before the fight and say no problem with the weight and after i lost say i had problems with the weight. which is it? which lie do you believe? contridictions do not exist. In 1995 i fought in the gloves at 139 vs a kid named tim oneill at queens elks club. I lost 15 lbs week of the fight and ate a box of girl scout cookies i was saving when cutting the weight. I fought oneill and stunk out the joint to a packed house. I have no excuse for my loss. none! oneill outlanded me and i clinched too much. I lost because of me not because of this that and the other thing. I got in the ring with no excuses and i left with no excuses. I blew the fight and next time i trained different. the blame is on chad and his team. as a human being why do you excuse lies and excuses?

deepwater says:

man if antonio taver was on here he would ask you" got any excuses tonight?"

deepwater says:

and come on boxing coach I know its really you scully.lol

mortcola says:

Explanations are for evaluating, growing, knowing what changes to make, promoting understanding. Excuses are for saving face. Except they don't work.

U a damn lie u wouldn't admitt to sh*t every boxing says the feel great going into a fight then after if the lose they give your the reason why they lost.

There you go again, SCLA Ali. Have many years have you box? That's what I thought -- NONE!

After Carmen Basilio lost to Sugar Ray Robinson, Howard Cosell asked CB did his swollen-shut eye affected him.

"No excuses," CB spitted. "I had one good eye."

Bottomline, excuses are for __ __. Sucking dat jive up and moving on is how REAL boxers do it. Holla!

You gotta love deepwater. I say he is the ROTY for 2012. I hope EM dosen't forget about it until February then come up with an essay contest and then give the award to a lesser contributor.

deepwater says:

If someone asks me before a fight of course i say I feel good. its what i say after the fight that counts. if i say i was robbed then i feel i was robbed, if i lost i lost because of me. the first freakin thing a good trainer teaches is you is dont whine and dont make an excuse. if you have an excuse after the fight then you shouldnt of fought. every fighter can use an excuse but real fighters dont make any excuse. you get between the ropes with 2 hands then whatever happens happens,. ok maybe you can understand this: why did chad lose the fight? is it because he got clipped in sparring?(like every boxer before him? is it because he was weak from losing weight(like most every boxer before him) this is it= Chad lost the fight because ward beat the sh7t out of him and made him quit! thats it. nothing else. chad had 2 hands like ward, no excuses about weight or this or that or maybe chads wife was mean to him and messed him up, or maybe he had a bad child hood and he thought about it during the fight, or maybe john scullys breath smelled bad in the corner yeah thats it scullys breath messed up chad. every clown can have an excuse but the good fighters dont make any excuses period! ward whooped chad and nothing changes the fact. maybe chad can use this excuse= my trainer didnt teach me how to throw the check hook when ward jabbed. excuses are easy to do, cowards use excuses all the time, its the champions that dont make excuses. they shut up and come back stronger.

deepwater says:

There you go again, SCLA Ali. How many years have you box? That's what I thought -- NONE!

"No excuses," CB spitted. "I had one good eye."

agree 100 %

mortcola says:

agree 100 %, nice

Thanks, Deep. I love what you and Rad are saying here.

BOXING COACH says:

An excuse is what you make up when you are lying after a fight. A reason/contribution to how a fight went as it did, however, is what you add when you are asked. Saying you had an injury/issue isnt taking away from your conquerors victory, it is only stating what is factual. In any sport/game/business/endeavor that is competitive in nature only a fool would reveal problems/potential weaknesses before the contest/game/actvity commences...Hearns broke his hand in the Hagler fight. Doesnt take away from MMH's victoory one iota. But it still happened, it is a part of the equation and just because you personally dont want to hear about it, at the end of the day, you yourself have no say in the matter and nothing to do with it, youre just reading about it (and commenting on it which is pretty oxymornic of you TBH) if you choose to.

deepwater says:

An excuse is what you make up when you are lying after a fight. A reason/contribution to how a fight went as it did, however, is what you add when you are asked. Saying you had an injury/issue isnt taking away from your conquerors victory, it is only stating what is factual. In any sport/game/business/endeavor that is competitive in nature only a fool would reveal problems/potential weaknesses before the contest/game/actvity commences...Hearns broke his hand in the Hagler fight. Doesnt take away from MMH's victory one iota. But it still happened, it is a part of the equation and just because you personally don't want to hear about it, at the end of the day, you yourself have no say in the matter and nothing to do with it, you're just reading about it (and commenting on it which is pretty oxymornic of you TBH) if you choose to.

nah I dont believe that hype. you are not talking about chads failed strategy during the fight or mistakes or lack of adjustments during the fight. it stains wards *** whooping he put on chad to mention the weight.what does hearns breaking his hand in the middle of a fight half to do with lazy *** chad not reaching the weight limit before the fight?did hearns quit the fight and blame the broken hand? no he did not. here is a recent example of something similar.chavez lost 20 lbs the 2 days b4 his fight and looked like death I did not hear one excuse about the hard time he had with weight. also hatton beat malignaggi and malignaggi excepts his defeats and says its on him and buddy because he used the wrong style and he wants another chance to revenge it witha better style.he took responsiblity. blaming the weight is bs and it hurts the sport. no excuses will change the fact that chad went to camp and got in the ring with 2 hands and got whooped.

ex·cused ex·cus·ing
Definition of EXCUSE
1a : to make apology for b : to try to remove blame from
an excuse doenst have to be a a lie at all. just because chad is telling the truth about problems with the weight it is still an excuse.you can imagine unicorns and rainbows and blame them for the hard time chad had with the weight but this is the reality= chad got beat up bad,chad was out boxed, chad quit hard, smoger would let anything go and he looked stunned tha chad quit. CHAD DAWSON QUIT AND GAVE UP AND BEGGED SMOGER TO STOP IT. ANDRE WARD DID IT. WARDS HANDS DID IT>HOOKS<JABS<CROSSES UPPERCUTS DID IT>chad can say he hurt himself running, broke a hand,broke a leg, lost 100 lbs,got shot. it doesnt matter. you get in the ring with no excuses and you leave the ring with no excuses. chad is trying to remove blame on himself for getting beat down by shifting it to th weight.

SouthPaul says:

Chavez ain't messing with the weight excuse ..he's now claiming the ref was a racist who helped Martinez get up in the 12th. Lmao

BOXING COACH says:

Chad Dawson got beat FAIR AND SQUARE...that is accepted and realized by all...but you seem to be of the opinion that every fighter comes into the ring perfect each and every time out. Not true of course. Things happen. No one is sayinjg the fight would have even turned out differently if these things werent in the mix. But they were and no amount of hate from you can change that

deepwater says:

check your premises . I think no fighter comes into the ring 100% just some fighters use excuses and others dont. hate is a strong word that shouldnt be used in your argument.almost all fighetrs get weakened when dropping weight, some perform some dont. rios did what he had to do chad didnt.

BOXING COACH says:

I dont think you fully understand and thats understandable. But I am correct in what I say. ALL fighters get weakened when they lose weight but not all exactly the same, its pointless to argue though. You dont like the fact that the loser of the bout had an issue that is being brought up. But why does it bother you so much? You would rather if a fighter had a legitimate problem before that fight that came to fruition in the fight not say anything about it, take it to the grave?

deepwater says:

i would rather he not mention the weight as a factor. it is an excuse he didnt have to use whether it happened or not doesnt matter. it takes away from wards win.

thanks for the fine debate guys... that's how you keep it clean. no low blows... and no head butts.

BOXING COACH says:

You say "excuse"...I say "reason"...certainly an intangible...how about Oliver McCall clearly having a mental breakdown vs Lennox in their rematch...do you suppose that had ANYTHING in regard to impairing his ability up to standard?

deepwater says:

words matter so let's start at the beginning. The definition of the word excuse
ex·cused ex·cus·ing
Definition of EXCUSE
1a : to make apology for b : to try to remove blame from . There. Excuse doesn't mean a lie like you said before. This much is true:chad got whooped and quit. Ok no arguing that. Chad might of had a hard time losing weight the last few days even though his team lied every single time they were asked about weight. Ok no arguing that. Even though chad is a liar we can excuse it to phy op games before a fight.ok no arguing that. Chad didn't do his game plan and got out boxed in every aspect of the fight. You say it's because of the weight and I say it's because ward beat him down,had a better game plan and a bigger heart. Trying to compare McCall having a actual nervous breakdown in a fight to chad making an excuse after losing Is apples vs oranges. Compare other boxers who lose weight get beat and then blame the weight to boxers who lose weight bite down on their mouthpiece and win/ or lose but say it was the other guys night and leave it at that. Chad is from the first group, the group were boxers shift the blame to anything other then their performance. Performance counts. If this is scully you should not be chads trainer anymore it's not working. You can still be a family friend and hang with them though. Alvarado had a hard time losing weight did you hear about it after the fight? Nope. Some fighters use excuses others don't. Chad and his team used and excuse and shifted blame to the weight . Who agrees who disagrees?

BOXING COACH says:

Also...something just dawned on me and it really fits in here...several years ago I was working with a fighter for a big fight...we went through training camp and all seemed to be pretty good...we get to the site , though, and just a few days before the fight we are walking back from the gym and I ask when his wife is coming in for the fight and he tells me she's not coming and that it looks like they are headed for a divorce...shes not coming to the biggest fight of his career and after the fightt he divorce will be set into motion legally...now as soon as he tells me that I know its BIG trouble...but what do I do? Tell him he shouldnt fight when I know for 1000 pct. fact he is going to fight no matter what? I tell him he shouldnt and run the risk of almost guaranteeing that I mess his head up even worse than it is at this point, putting another nail in the coffin of our preparation? I mean, its a tough spot to be in, no??? But things happen and after his loss, although he never used it as an exue or even a reason, I feel bad for him because it would certainly go a long ways towards explaining a poor performance to people who fully realize what negative pre-fight situations like that can do to fighters who are about to go into a battle. Fights are pretty much won and lost in the training and the preparation for a fight and part of that preparation is these intangibles (personal lives, weight loss, injuries, etc)...they MATTER, they definitely do...

BOXING COACH says:

NO, Chad did not make any excuses...he said he got beat by the better man...he NEVER said anything about his weight...I am the one who is making light of it and NOT to say he would have won anyway. I am only saying it was a HUGE factor. I shouldnt be his trainer anymore, "its not working"? Because he lost to Andre Ward? Because I didnt have anything to do with his weight loss and how it affected him? Because his ability to listen to instructions between rounds and carry them out was severely impaired by weight loss?? I mean, when he was strong and feeling very good he listened to me just fine between rounds of the Hopkins fight but for this fight that was severly impaired (my original point). But maybe you ( a guy on the internet message board) should make all boxing related decisions for us from now on instead of the people hired to do so..Chad is NOT a liar...none of us...are you need to understand something...on a fighter's end, when he is training for a fight it is his nature to be as positive as possible...deep down he could know he's in trouble but he is always going to make it seem as though all is fine and on schedule because once he verbally admits it then it is so. Never ask a fighter/trainer/manager questions about preparation right before a fight because it is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS...no boxing person in their right mind would admit the fighter was having trouble before the fight...YOU actual label that being a "liar"...its probbaly a good thing you arent on someone's team, telling reporters right before the fight, "Oh The champ?? yeah, hes having huge trouble making weight. The other guy should jump all over him from the opening bell because hes been in the steam room every day and his legs are weak." In any event, YES , Andre won the fight in VERY CONVINCING FASHION, YES, he was superb...but for u to somehow actually believe that Chad's performance had nothing to do with/wasnt directly affected by his weight loss shows that you are not a fighter and dont know what going through all of that actually means. You have your ill informed mind made up and nothing I say here will change that because you have ur mind set and are not open to hearing or understand the intangibles that have direct affect on a boxers ability to move, think, react and take a punch...no one (certainly not Chad) is using the weight as an excuse but for you or anyone to somehow believe it wasnt a factor or an issue, well, if u were there behind the scenes then u would know how wrong you are in saying that...