Marquez More Than Any Fighter Should Be Next For Pacquiao

BY Frank Lotierzo ON September 25, 2012

PACQUIAO-MARQUEZ2SILotierzo is more keen to see a fourth scrap between these two, seen in Mexico, than he is Pacquiao-Mayweather. (Chris Farina)

This coming December 8th two of the best pound for pound fighters in boxing over the past decade will meet for the fourth time in eight years. Yes, I'm talking about legends Manny Pacquiao 54-4-2 (38) and Juan Manuel Marquez 54-6-1 (39). Officially, Pacquiao holds an overwhelming 2-0-1 edge over Marquez according the the record book. And if you only read the record book and never saw any one of their three fights, you'd put the book down believing that it is Pacquiao who was the superior fighter. And that of course would be wrong.

In three very competitive fights against each other you're splitting hairs in saying who actually got the better of it. Pacquiao has landed the harder punches and scored the only knockdowns, but Marquez has landed more cleaner shots and has exhibited the superior ring generalship. Actually, the only thing you can say with impunity is Pacquiao has been more dominant since moving up from 126-130 than Marquez has been. Then again the only fight Marquez wasn't really competitive in was his welterweight bout against Floyd Mayweather back in 2009 when Floyd pulled a fast one on him and weighed in over the agreed upon 144 catch-weight. And in all fairness, Pacquiao has yet to meet Mayweather and is vulnerable to being out-boxed by Floyd the way Marquez was.

However, let's forget how Mayweather matches up with Pacquiao or Marquez for the moment. Let's discuss Pacquiao-Marquez IV. I can't believe that some boxing fans and aficionados are actually griping at the idea of Pacquiao and Marquez fighting a fourth time. If there was ever a fighter in boxing who deserves to fight Pacquiao and relish all that comes with it, it's Juan Manuel Marquez, the only fighter that Manny hasn't conclusively beat once in three fights. Pacquiao, who won his series in the ring and on the scorecards against the other two legends he fought, Erik Morales and Marco Antonio Barrera, cannot make that same claim over Marquez.

In three fights between Pacquiao and Marquez, there's been one in my opinion that it can't be argued for either fighter, and that's their third fight. I can see the argument for either one of them in the first two fights, but not in their last meeting. Marquez clearly out thought and out fought Pacquiao for the better part of 12 rounds when they last met back in November of 2011. Neither fighter was down or hurt, but if there were 15 clean punches landed in that bout, Marquez landed 11 of them. If anybody deserved a decision nod over Manny Pacquiao, it was Marquez, not Timothy Bradley who was the beneficiary of a gift decision when he fought Pacquiao this past June.

The thought that some boxing observers could gripe about Marquez getting another shot at Pacquiao is mind boggling. First of all, if there is one authentic throwback to another time and era when the best fighters constantly fought the best available opposition, it's Marquez who has done that his entire career. Marquez is a great fighter and technician whose style closest resembles a counter-puncher, but he has shown that he can box and punch according to who the fighter is in front of him.

Juan Manuel Marquez may not be a star the likes of Pacquiao or Mayweather, but he is every bit the real fighter they are. And maybe that's the problem, we never hear anything about him unlike Manny and Floyd who dominate the boxing scene until their next fight is announced. If there ever was a fighter I wanted to see get another crack at Pacquiao along with the monumental payday that comes with it, it's Juan Manuel Marquez, the fighter Pacquiao has been in the ring with and fought the most rounds against and still has yet to prove that he's the better or greater fighter.

As for how the fourth fight will go? What we know is Marquez probably can't beat Manny by decision. Especially after the outrage over Pacquiao getting hosed in his last fight against Bradley. So that means Marquez will perhaps fight more aggressively and that will be to Pacquiao's benefit. On the other hand, Marquez has to be supremely confident based on how well he did against Manny the last time along with how average he looked in the Bradley fight.

In addition to that, Marquez knows if he can just get one official verdict over Pacquiao, most observers will acknowledge that it was he who got the better of it (in the ring not on the scorecards) between them over four fights. Whereas Pacquiao has to try and defend his 2-0-1 edge over Marquez, something that is very disputable in the eyes of the boxing public.

Fans and writers can bitch and complain about Marquez getting another shot at Pacquiao all they want, but don't count me among them. I for one am very glad that Marquez is getting another opportunity and payday against Manny. He deserves it based on his career accomplishments as a fighter and more than that, Manny hasn't defeated him once conclusively, yet.

Pacquiao and Marquez are two all-time greats meeting at what are still meaningful points in their careers. All three of their fights have been (at the very least) really good. I'm sure this one will be too. If people don't want to watch it, it says something very bad for the lack of boxing IQs of contemporary viewers. People are going to miss these guys when they're gone, and they should be grateful for any chance they get to see them in the ring together. I'm actually more excited about this fight than I would be about Mayweather-Pacquiao, which I think would, frankly, be a mismatch at this point.

Frank Lotierzo can be contacted at GlovedFist@Gmail.com

dino da vinci says:

As usual, I'm with Frank on this one. No stretch to have JMM 3-0 in this series. And if that comes against a fighter who many consider a short-lister all-time great, what does that say about Mr Marquez? Extremely pleased that Pac has the moxie to call JMM's number for a 4th time. It can't NOT be a great fight. Props to both camps for taking on a fellow monster.

C'mon, Archmaster super pugilistic scribe F-Lo! First, most of these muthasuckas haven't ever taken a boxing IQ test, so they are blinded to da straight haps of what actually is taking place in that squares jungle. Talking heads and biasness rule every iota of that bloody fat in their whobby craniums.

With that spitted, Da Manny is going to at least knock Marquez down and put another arse thrashing on him. And fanfaronades and haters seeing that will claim -- as will crybaby-chump-@$$ Marquez -- that Marquez beat Da Manny "pour (sic) time (sic)."

I'm reminded of my ancestor, who fought under several names, including "Kid Moro." Family's spit and eyewitnesses who were there say that KM fudged up the P4P ATG Henry "Homcide Hank" Armstrong FOUR TIMES. But all four bouts were declared draws. One under a near riot, when the cheaters that be were thinkin' dat they were going to be Bradley-like robbing KM

Bias eyes see what they favor. So I'd not be surprised to see Da Manny stop the crybaby, and for haters to still complain that it was stopped too soon and that Marquez was winning, so there should be a fifth fight, "because Marquez beat Pacquiao four times." Holla!

SouthPaul says:

I'm still cranky about a fourth go but I'll eventually conform to what'll be a good scrap. You guys are slowly wearing me down. That and I am a boxing junkie. Wtf...

Mr. Lex Luthor says:

Very fair article. Marquez was clearly the better fighter in their 3rd fight and most likely he will be in the 4th. If Manny's game plan is to try and resurrect the aggressiveness and activity of his youth......he is in serious trouble.

We know what Superman ends up doing to shine-headed Lex. Hehe! Holla

Coxs Corner says:

Marquez is just a bad style for him just like Conn was for Louis or Vilomar Fernandez was for Arguello etc. If I was Pac I would fight someone who brings the fight that would make me look good and then retire. When most of the fans memories grow dim the record books will still show Pac's 2-0-1 and that is what the boxrec click and blabber boys will speak of. Manny is no longer a hungry fighter, and his interest in the sport has waned. Boxing will always be close to his heart but he is no longer what he once was and should accept he is on the decline and not make hiimself look bad by taking this fight. What makes him think this fight will be any different than the other 3 relatively close fights? He is not going to show Marquez anything he hasnt seen already. Bad move IMHO.

deepwater says:

I refuse to pay for this ppv .I need all my federal reserve notes to buy some real silver money before the new year. manny has balls for settling unfinished business. expect a good fight. hope manny stops him but its near impossible. maybe get marquez stopped on cuts

dino da vinci says:

Poor Henry. Hey Rad, I used to frequent a gym called LAYAC in East LA many years ago. The man at the front door had fought Henry Armstrong three times, going 0-2-1 with him. Except that I went there a long time. By the time he passed away, he was two wins and a draw and was robbed in the one that ended in a dead heat. Of course, Ring Record Book makes no mention of him. Family?

Wow! The old dude at that gym was probably punch drunk and was hallucinating. But see when it come to pugilistic cred of my Fam G, you can find the straight-up real deal. And we munch on the bar-b-cue sauce of Evander Holyfield -- good shyt. Anyway, Boxrec has the phat on Kid Moro-Homicide Hank fiestas. Holla at dat gatekeeper of legit records spit.

Did I ever tell you that Kid Radam whupped up a muthajoker 13 times in the amateurs when I was between 9 years old and 15. Dat mudsucka is hanging around streets of Cali telling people that he beat me half of those bouts and wuz robbed. Eight years ago when I was still in da game, and gettin' my lawsuits on, the street dweller was claiming to have beaten me twice.

In 20 years or so, when we are gray arses, he will claim to have won every single bout. Even though Boxing Scoop notes that I stopped da hollow human punching with buckeyes seven times. When he's dirt napping in 50 or 60 years from now, his descendants will be hollering at my old arse that he kayoed
me 13 times. Da fibbers never stop and you know that. Holla!

Mikhail says:

This 4th fight should really happen. I scored it 1-1-1. I scored the first fight for Pacquiao, the second was a draw and I scored the third fight for Marquez. I hope one them wins convincingly. Its just classic.