SURLY SERGIO TO JUNIOR: "I Will Beat You Up"

BY Michael Woods ON August 28, 2012

Martinez workout 120725 007aWith an assassin's eyes and a tone of controlled fury, Sergio Martinez promised to inflict pain on Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. during Max Kellerman's "Face Off." (Chris Farina)

A different Sergio Martinez, less mellow, more focused, more nasty, emerged on the latest installment of Max Kellerman's "Face Off," which is currently running on HBO ahead of the Sept. 15 Martinez-Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. clash.

Martinez, the favored vet, takes on young gun Chavez, the son of the legend who has come into his own in the last year or so, on Sept. 15 in Las Vegas. That scrap will be offered on pay-per-view.

The event taped on July 12, the same day as an NYC press conference. At that gathering, Martinez called Junior a chicken. Max asked the former WBC middleweight champ, aged 37, about that remark. He answered that the 26-year-old Junior wanted on the job training while he was already champion, and said that is wrong. "That's chicken attitude," he said in Spanish. Junior admitted that maybe he wasn't ready a couple years ago, to his credit, but said he is ready now.

Martinez said he doesn't agree with the stance that his marketability wasn't what it should have been, so he didn't bring enough to the table back then. He reiterated that a champion, a proper champion, shouldn't be given latitude to keep learning while wearing a belt.

With a sneer on his face, Junior went at Martinez, asking if he picked all his fights. Why did he fight Darren Barker and Matt Macklin, he asked, and why not Miguel Cotto or Floyd Mayweather? Because those guys didn't want to fight him, Martinez correctly pointed out.

Junior was asked about calling Martinez a "ballerina." That's because he dances, he said. "I've won my last four matches by knockout," the Argentine noted, implying that for a dancer, he can crack pretty good.

Junior said he thinks he knows how to beat Sergio already. Sergio disagreed and said history agrees with him. During these first few minutes, I assessed that Martinez had the look of the assassin on his visage, controlled and intense, with a suppressed vibe of violence in his eyes, while Junior looked like a frat boy fronting during a yackfest preceding a barfight. Junior's occasional grin to me looked like a nervous reaction, while Martinez' looked like the show of teeth of a man born without a conscience. Of course, I welll know Junior is no joke, that he has come a long way in a few years, and that it is to his immense credit that he didn't secure a trust fund and laze away decades in Culiacan. But in my eyes, Martinez was winning the fight before the fight, at Kellerman's table.

"After I beat you, I will be nipping at Mayweathers' heels," Martinez said.

Is Junior a true challenge, after meeting and beating fighters like Paul Williams or Kelly Pavlik, Max asked? No, he's not at that level, the vet said. Junior said Martinez will learn different.

"I hope your corner protects you, I hope the referee protects you, I hope the doctor protects you," Martinez said, as Junior's eyes widened.

Max had the men stand up, and talked about size. Junior said his size will help but his skills will be the difference.

Max asked about the surlier Martinez, who has talked of hurting the kid. "I'm not insulting him, I'm just telling the truth," he said.

Martinez said his foe wasn't handed the fight, but that he was handed a belt. Junior said folks don't give him credit, and think he's helped because of who his dad was. He seems OK with that perception, to me a healthy level of acceptance which reduces mental stress.

"Chavez will hit the canvas, he will be sitting in his corner, or with the doctor or referee stopping the fight," Martinez declared, again reiterating his belief that he will win by stoppage.

Junior said the left to the stomach weakens foes but that he will be ready to do the distance.

Do you think you will knock him out, Max asked? "Of course I can knock him out," he answered. Notice he didn't say he WILL, he said he COULD. Is he deep down confident of his chops, or is there a hint, or more than a hint, of doubt which will hinder him on fight night? I lean towards the former, based on this linguistic tell...

The increased stakes, Martinez said, help him, because it motivates him. For ten years, he has been an outsider, fighting away from home, so he is soaking this up. Junior said he has already exceeded expectations, and that everyone underestimates him.

Junior noted that Sergio's first loss, way back in 2000, was to a Mexican (Antonio Margarito) in Las Vegas. Martinez didn't seem phased.

"I will probably make you retire from boxing because I will beat you up," Martinez said in closing. "I'm going to win, I'm going to hurt you," he said.

"I just want to wish him luck, lots of luck," Junior said, in answer, while offering a handshake. This struck me, as I thought a sharp, "Eff you" might have been more appropriate. "On September fifteenth, you will realize what type of fighter I am. I'm the new Julio Cesar Chavez."

Me, I like Martinez via UD, with close rounds galore, because Sergio, I think, will fight his usual patient match. He will dissect, wait, pounce when the time is right. He hasn't had a Darren Barker or Matt Macklin training camp, he's gone back to the level of motivation he had for the Pavlik fight in 2010. I caution fans to not go overboard in making too much of Junior's wins over Marco Antonio Rubio and Andy Lee. If either of those two ever secures a world title belt, well, then we can revisit my stance...But Lee is no Sergio, he is a step down, or maybe two steps down if Martinez delivers the sort of showing that his motivation reservoir could propel him to. Readers, what say you?

riverside says:

I disagree, beating a durable puncher in Rubio and a boxer puncher in Andy Lee, both top contenders is no big deal, While Martinez beating an ostrich off balance tall paul and a drunk pavlik and a pair of europeans C level boxers is a huge acomplishment, we forget he had two close fights, with williams and Cintron not too long ago. Chavez will try to push him straight back, and eliminate martinez lateral movements, margarito was the last one to actually push him straight back, Pavlik followed him all night.

deepwater says:

LOL. Sergio sure is a funny dude. he sounds like a bully yet he brings a bully-victim to his fights. what kind of example is that? this is the fight game and when you insult boxers and their fans then sometimes fans take things into their own hands. sergio do your self a favor and shut up and let your boxing speak for itself. dibella is a con man. dibella could a hire a professional body guard service for 20,000 for 2 weeks and relax. I think this is a publicity stunt from a warped lou dibella, either that or they will use an excuse about threats ect to justify sergio losing.

michaelabii says:

One of the best more intense face offs I have experienced in a long while. Sergio in this form reminds me of a young Marvin Hagler or the version of hagler we saw right before the Hearns fight. He is really boiling under the skin and ready to go. JC junior has evolved but he will not be able to contain Sergio. An unmotivated Sergion would give JC junior problems due to the skill level difference. A super motivated Sergio will take JC junior apart round by round. I see JC Junior getting hit cleanly and more often as each round progresses. JC junior will make a fight of it and will try to impose his significant size difference but there will be a mental gap in this fight and that will ultimately make the difference. I dont see this going beyond 6 - 7 rounds to be honest.

Sergio will probably get KAYOED! First of all, his lateral movement is terrible. Next, he'll not get away with fighting with his hand down to the side and moving his head straight back and to left 75 percent of the time. The son of a legend is going to cut the ring off and throw punches in bunches to time the movement of Sergio's big head that is glued to his big mouth. Both his head and his mouth will be hurting, along with those ribs. [How many times have you seen Sergio hit in the body? That is what I thought. NEVER!]

The SOAL JCCJ will have Sergio mentally worn out in about four rounds, and Sergio's legs won't be able to balance themselves after about three rounds of him getting body snatched. The pressure and the pounding that the SOAL JCCJ puts on Sergio will be too much for the ex-footballer [socker player] to handle on his boksing/socker old-arse legs. People keep forgetting that in boxing Sergio is a senior citizen with worn-out socker legs, who picked the wrong type of opponent for himself.

One thing that a lot of know nothings keep forgetting about Sergio, is that he is very limited in boxing SKILLS. The dude is athletically gifted and TALENTED, not boksing skillful. And at his age, that gift and talent will not be up front. And he will need mad-boxing SKILLS to handle the SOAL's BUMRUSH! But the hyped-up Sergio has never needed to learn gutty boxing skills, because da muthajoke hasn't fought the best out there. Dude and his promoter have been artmaster optical illusionists in perpretrating many of a fraud in fighting bums, marshmallows and punching bags with eyeballs and hand problems and speed.

The SOAL will have a moderate night of whuppin Sergio's arse, and will probably win by mid-to-late stoppage or a runaway, wide decision at the least. Holla!

SouthPaul says:

Totally agree with the author. JR was showing signs of being nervous. He was intimidated 4sho' by the very serious straight forward Martinez. Not a bully like some of you are suggesting. Naw. He wasnt over the top or even all that disrespectful to JR. He just letting him know he's aware of all the nonsense and favoritism it took to get JR where's he at and it's about to be exposed to the fullest come fight night. Love it. Look you straight in the eye and make you aware that I'm about to break you down. Don't be mad at that and don't mistake it for bullying. Thats a confident man about to go deep in that frame. I'm officially pumped for this bout!

puncher says:

Radam G,
I will agree that Jr will press foward as much as Sergio allows. Getting hit by Lee and compare him to Sergio is a joke. Lee even agreed that he could not hurt Jr so therfore he admitted that he is not a big puncher after all.

Why does Segio not get hit to the body...because he does not allow it thanks to his God gifted talents. In the meantime Jr gets hit a lot! Please remember that Cotto's brother put the hurt on Jr in the 3rd round so just think what will happen when he gets hit by Sergio.

I'm with Sergio by UD with Jr getting a lesson in REAL BOXING!

riverside says:

puncher, Jr has never fought Cotto's brother, that was canelo! Jr has never been hurt or wobbled, Lee has good power, just not enough to hurt JR, He has enough power to Ko most middleweight, has plenty of ko's in his resume.

Sergio Martinez has yet to fight a body snatcher since Tony Margarito, who dusted that arse, put it on him. The reason Sergio hasn't been tagged there, is that he has been fighting what I said above. The SOAL JCCJ will body snatch and noggin hatch. Sergio has a severe thrashing coming. And his doesn't have the pugilistic saavy to halt it.

Dude is in the way of destiny and history and be bumrushed and crushed. Holla!

Carmine Cas says:

I see Jr playing right into Sergio's style and getting stopped late or dropping a UD. Jr is going to get punched all night long, and Radam just like you said Maravilla hasn't fought anyone like Jr, well neither as Julio. The punches you don't see hurt you the most, and that's what's going to happen when Sergio utilizes crazy angles, just like your boy pacquiao. Oh and don't get me started on athleticism vs boxing skill, and weak opponents. Top rank and pacquiao are all guilty of that.

deepwater says:

who are the judges and how will they score the fight? Ill give you a hint ;if martinez goes backwards or side to side and hits chavez with 4 punches clean and chavez aggressivly stalks him while taking 4 shots to land 1 shot to the liver who do you think will get credit? here is a hint =chavez. dont ever bet against the mexican star; son of the mexican superstar on mexican holiday. if this fight was at msg sergio would get the nod. we will all be here on sunday after the fight talking about what a crook arum and the judges are. smart $ on chavez jr and the judges scoring for effective(or any type) aggresion

THIS IS IT!!! My last six cents about Sergio Martinez in this session. NO! NO! NO! I'll not play tag with SM fans, fanfaronades, groupies, fanboys, flunkies, aides, employees, sidekicks and SOAL JCCJ haters, etc., etc.

SM is what old school cats call a sidewalk fighter. First, the dude picked up the game very late in life for boxing, and is largely self-taught. Way, way back in da day, street cats use to do this.

A sidewalk fighter -- what SM is -- squares up to throw just about every punch, as SM DOES, while his hands are down to the side just as a REAL-on-the-sidewalk [or street] fighter does. [Go to Youtube or Daily Motion and peep a visible on a sidewalk fighter slap boxing -- cause that is all that they do -- and see how SM is ironically an exact MATCH!]

Like 'em, SM also pushes, claws, swings and slap 95 percent of his punches. Like 'em, SM is also reckless, a headhunter, off balance and an amateurish flaunter. Dude looks more like a flaunting fish than a professional boxer. The SOAL JCCJ will snap, crackle, pop his arse all night long!

The SOAL JCCJ is gonna adroitly EXPOSED SM as a perpretrator of a fraud, bust him up, beat him down and probably kayo him. And that is my last words on that. Holla!

By the way, Sergio doesn't "utilizes crazy angles." He's plain and squared up and easy to hit and swing, slang and slap punches like a lost-in-da-squared-jungle bytch.

Dude is nowhere near "crazy" angling "Pacquiao." Start on any mass illusion and mass confusion that you like. It is simply your reality distortion based on mass bullsh*tology from Pac-haters and stereotypers of __ ___ ____!

Top Rank and "Pacquiao are all guilty of" scaring the heck outta Money May and a whole ton of fighters. Holla!

I heard so much about the Face-Off episode when I tuned into the TSS last night, I immediately looked it up on Youtube to see what the fuss was all about.

What I saw was more of an engaging conversation between 2 gentlemanly combatants who were able to speak in their own language without being encumbered by pausing for a translater to break down their conversation every 20 seconds.

I was a good idea to use the earpieces because it allowed for a much more natural flow of communication... (and a bit of trash talk).

Chavez looked inexperienced and seemed to have to keep validating his worth " you don't know me, you don't know whay I can do,...... I really do belong here, dont I"(paraphrasing )

Sergio seemed more sure of himself....."I know what I'm gonna do,.. I'm gonna knock you out"

Junior made a feeble attempt to goad Martinez into a macho, mano a mano toe to toe war where he would have the advantage. " fight me maravilla ballerina, don't run"

Because Junior knows he can't win, or should I say,.. he'd knows he'll be severely impaired by Martinez's slick movement.

Just like Martinez was more fluent and articulate with his speech. .... he'll be more articulate and fluent with his fists.

He'll beat Chavez like a pinata on Dia de Navidad.

This man was a soccor player and a bicycler... even though he's 37,... there's still plenty of tread on those tires.

Sure Chavez has good punch resistance... and that's his greatest attribute.
But even the most sturdy of chins come unhinged after a consistant battering and that's what I expect to see on the 15th. "Maravella de' Campeon Grande'!!!"

SouthPaul says:

That's wasssssssup. Well said.

DaveB says:

I'll let others analyze this fight. Sometimes I just get a gut feeling about some of these fights and usually I'm right when I go with them. If I start to think things out it throws me off in my assessment. My initial gut feeling was that Sergio is just going to be too much for Junior. Of course I could be wrong and I'm never going to say I know how things will turn out once two top fighters are in the ring. I just feel that Martinez has better skills than Chavez and I think this fight will prove it. I'm excited about this fight and a few others that are coming up in the next several weeks. Sergio by late stoppage after round 8.

SouthPaul says:

One doesn't even have to be all that wooed by Martinez to be picking him. It doesn't even have to be what Sergio is- it's more about what JR ain't. The Junior traveling show is only several notches above what Mia St Jonh was to Top Rank. Kinda sorta and now the time has come he gotta prove he's better than that. The pressure is on him. He's got a lot Mexicano brothers depending on him to carry the machismo thrown.

Alot of good comments from the peeps on this fight. I can't say for sure who wins. Sergio is the veteran, the more skilled fighter. Jr is bigger, stronger, silver spoon in his mouth. Sergio's hands at the waist darting in and out style has always worried me. Kind of like walking a tight rope. One wrong move and it's over. JCC Jr is a bull in a China shop. We doesn't know what he's doing, he just wants to hit something. Beating Andy Lee does not impress the Roast. Unless he gets caught Sergio wins by UD. JCC Jr will blame the weight class and move up to 175. One loss won't bother the kid to much. He's young, he's got that name, he'll get many more shots.

riverside says:

Robert Garcia recently picked Junior to beat Martinez, he said he liked the improvement he has seen in junior over the past few fights, we forget Junior is going to out weight Martinez by close to 20 lbs on fight night. Huge weight difference, I can't imagine Martinez beating any of the light heavyweight contenders out there. Chavez jr is descent light heavyweight contender fighting a junior middleweight fighter. I can't picture a good small boxer ko'ing a good boxer with a good chin several division heavier? Martinez seems worry less about the size of the ring or the lbs junior will out weight him. Martinez is gonna get hit hard, a lot harder than the best fighters he has faced in Margarito/Cintron/williams and Pavlik, his record against the is 2-2-1 not very impressive for a world beater. I"ll stick with Junior on his vast improvement/weight advantage/stronger/and punching power and the crowd on his side.

dino da vinci says:

There won't be a nod.

And 'smart money' is certainly not on Chavez, Jr.

dino da vinci says:

I believe that you are right in many of the points made, but have reached the wrong conclusion. We could do days on weight gain (weeks?), but the very quick bottom line in this case is, the weight advantage Chavez, Jr will enjoy is only a real advantage early in the fight when he's fresh. It works against him the deeper into the fight he goes. (You can't get this stuff at MaxBoxing, people).

@Radam. You got Andre Ward the Heavyweight Champion of the World when he chooses to be, and since he won't be six foot-seven any time soon, how does he manage to accomplish this? Read: Contradiction.

Antonio Margarito was a special fighter when he was much younger. His RoboPug style was not in existence when I frequented So. Cal, one of a few fighters whose growth went the wrong way.

When you talk about Matt Macklin, you might want to show a bit of respect. Fella can fight.

dino da vinci says:

He'll beat Chavez like a pinata on Dia de Navidad.

Sure Chavez has good punch resistance... and that's his greatest attribute.

You could read a thousand insights on the internet about this fight. Or just this one.

SouthPaul says:

That's whatimsayin'.

this is quite a compelling fight, hard to say if junior has enough to beat the better sm.
his only chance is to wear sm down and winning a decision.
i think that sm knows it cant go to the cards and is gonna sit down all night long and try to get junior out of there asap.
either way, some good fights on the way..

Don't forget, ddv. Jack Dempsey was about the size of Andre Ward and he KAYOED many of a giant. Go and check the record and the cadaver of Jess Willard, to name one.

The late, great "Smokin" Joe Frazier was about the unfat-size of the heavyweight-primed James "Light outs" Toney, who woulda, shoulda, coulda murdered da K-docs/bros. [By the great advice of GBG Manny Steward, they knew better to stay clear of Toney.] Da Smoke whipped a Russian and Polish giant in the O Games and an American one in the pros -- who beat Poppa Smoke in the amateurs and was replaced by him for the O Games because of a broken hand.

Too many fans are so thrilled and convinced nowadays that giantism is da BOMB! And has all a sudden became ruling whup-arse mofus.

Giants from the beginning of time have always lost to the regular-size and small-size guys. Making pseudoweight divisions for money have been the great protector and shield of 'em all.

I'll never believe myths and reality distortion when there is hardcore evidence and history to holla HECK NO! Holla!

dino da vinci says:

OK, my favorite Radam in the entire world, how can you possibly pick against Martinez? Size won't be a factor. Do you really believe Sergio doesn't have the skill set to do his job? Really, Rad?

SouthPaul says:

Good question. I was going to ask the same of Radam earlier. Not does he think Sergio is a pound for pound fighter ..not if he's an all timer or makes it in the ibhof but the very simple question of.. Do you truly believe the man isn't capable of beating Jcc JR?

The Good Doctor says:

I have to play a little devil's advocate on this. It is hard to argue that Chavez hits real hard, as a matter of fact I think his power is questionable. Since 2009, Chavez stepped up his competition from awful to arguably average; 2 KO's in 9 fights. All of those fights were at middleweight. I think it is pretty easy to say that Sergio's chin is stronger than anyone Chavez fought in that time period. Also the 2/2/1 record against decent fighters is misleading. Margarito was more than 12 YEARS AGO. Martinez beat Cintron at a minimum 8-4 and that's on top of Cintron somehow arguing his way out of a knockout. You can also make the argument (which many people do) that he beat Paul Williams in the first match.

I agree that Chavez has length, weight, and size on his side. However, this going to look a lot like many of Pac's recent fights. Sergio will be smaller in every physical attribute but will be facing a easy to hit opponent who is not nearly as fast as he is. Maybe I am nuts, but I think Chavez is in over his head on this one. I got Sergio UD 9 rounds to 3.

YUP! Ddv, Martinez is athletically talented, not boxing skillful. Dude is very, very limited in boksing skills. He does 90 percent of everything WRONG, and it comes out DOUBLE WRONG!

Dude is more of a master of optical illusions and bullsh*tology than Tim "___ ___ __" Bradley is in fooling many of the undereducated and limited propessional eyeballs into taking his flouncing and fluctuating with his hands and feet as MAD SKILLS. Dat muthasucka Sergio Martinez -- as Bradley -- couldn't destroy five moehills.

In all professions, you sometimes have a highly-talented, low-skilled cat getting away with being thought of as being SUPER for a while until that zero hour comes that he is EXPOSED.

The SOAL JCCJ will show those who thought that knew, that they are WRONG like the many, that those who are usually RIGHT -- like me -- are in da few. I'm reminded of my bird that never flew. Because I ate his arse while he was still in the eggshell with chicken-blood stew. Hahaha! Holla!

@radam,
i get your point about sm being more athletic than fundamental but does it really matter when a fighter is an elite athlete?
think about it, michael jordan did not have a fundamental shooting posture, not even close when it came to that, but his athleticism and hand eye coordination was superior to most.
just like mayweather jr, his hand eye coordination and timing is superior to most.

sure sm is unorthodox and at some time that will catch up to him ( see rjj), but if it has not yet then he should be on his way to a clear victory..

look at pacman, that one shot he hit cotto with pac was crazy off balance didnt even have his feet set but being such an elite athlete he can do what most cant....

think about a professional baseball player, look at the best hitters in the world, the last 100 years, so many different stances and yet so many great hitters......athletic ability can be superior to fundamentals at times..

@amayseng -- as I say, SM does everything WRONG! And it comes out wrong 90 percent of the time. The great athletes that you mention did most things wrong, but their jive came out right 99 percent of the time. SM, at his age, has run out of time, and is fighting the wrong type of beast. On his @ss, the SOAL JCCJ is gonna feast. Holla!,

Shoulder Roll Defense says:

I guess they fixed the IT problems they were having with this site, I've been unable to post for a couple of days. Sergio is too skilled and has too much ring savvy to lose to the plodding JCC jr. Chavez jr.'s days as a boxer are numbered because he is a human punching bag. You are in trouble when your best attribute is your chin and you take pride on getting hit on it consistently. Martinez by UD or possible TKO, holler!