Pacquiao-Cotto II? Rerun Not Rematch

BY Frank Lotierzo ON August 09, 2012

pacquiao-vs-cotto-02If the rumors circulating via the Internet and other boxing publications are accurate, it looks as if Manny Pacquiao 54-4-2 (38) and Miguel Cotto 37-3 (30) are going to meet for a second time later this year, probably in November. If the fight happens then, it'll be almost three years to the day that Pacquiao stopped Cotto in the 12th round of their first fight. As you'll recall that bout was fought for the WBO welterweight title with a 145 pound catch-weight stipulation. In that bout a perhaps slightly drained Cotto couldn't handle Pacquiao's speed, unorthodox attack and imaginative offense. If that weren't enough, when Cotto did catch Manny with some of his thudding hooks to the head and body, nothing happened and Pacquiao seemed to feed off of it and grew more confident.

Since then Pacquiao hasn't looked as good as he did that night and Cotto has moved up to junior middleweight and has fought well along with winning a piece of the title at 154. In his last fight he gave Floyd Mayweather the most competitive fight he's had in 10 years since he fought Jose Luis Castillo the first time (a fight I scored 115-113 Castillo).

If in fact Cotto does get a second shot at Pacquiao, that's great and certainly well deserved on behalf of Cotto. If there are two fighters that no one should begrudge constantly getting big fights and paydays, it's both Shane Mosley and Miguel Cotto. Shane and Miguel have faced every fighter who was perceived as a threat to them including facing each other (Cotto won by decision) in a fight that could've been scored for either. Yes, both Mosley and Cotto are real fighters that never took the easy way out and boxing would be on top again if it were littered with fighters like them as it once was.

Miguel deserves the payday and the chance to even the score with Pacquiao the way he did against the first fighter to beat him as a pro, Antonio Margarito. If Pacquiao is going to fight Cotto again, because in reality he has no other real opponent to face, he better not play the catch-weight game this time. Remember, he and Freddie Roach don't wanna see Juan Manuel Marquez again and Timothy Bradley would be more confident in a rematch. So you can see why they'll try to fight Cotto, simply because they know Manny holds the psychological and stylistic advantage.

Some will look to make the case where Cotto has a better chance this time, but he doesn't, actually his odds have diminished. If there's anything Pacquiao could use right now is a fight in which he not only has supreme confidence, but he knows he can plant the seed of doubt into his opponents mind. Something that would be off the table against Marquez or Bradley.

Against Cotto, Pacquiao will look re-energized and confident and much better than he did in his last two bouts versus Marquez and Bradley. He knows at some point Miguel will fight to survive and avoid exchanges while trying to tip toe his way to a decision victory. There's no way he'll attempt to raise hell with Pacquiao like he did during the first few rounds of their last meeting and Pacquiao knows it. That said, I'm not saying Cotto is fearful, just realistic and now knows how dangerous Manny is for him.

If there's one thing fighters would love to know going into a fight is this -- that their opponent doesn't really want to fight it out with them and will look to be nice and steal rounds with the hope of eeking out the decision. As much as Cotto is the ultimate warrior, I think after he's confronted Pacquiao again and is reminded of what happened the first time, this will apply. Although I'd love to be proven wrong.

Knowing Cotto will bring that mindset to the ring, Pacquiao will be Shark like with blood in the water and he'll fight as the predator from round one on. That's huge, because Cotto can't be effective at all moving away from Pacquiao, especially with Pacquiao being at his best pressing the action against a fighter who is squared up and right there. On top of that - Pacquiao can move in a lot faster going forward than Miguel can move away or step off going back. So basically, Cotto is in a catch 22. He can't take it to Manny and try to work him over without getting hurt and busted up himself, and if he constantly moves away and tries to fight in flurries like he did against Margarito during their rematch, he'll be second in almost every exchange and has no shot at winning a decision. Manny's short little straight shots will get to the target before Miguel can bring his hook home, regardless of whether it's directed to Pacquiao's head or body.

If there is a Pacquiao-Cotto rematch, Manny holds every single advantage in the book. He will enter the ring with all the confidence in the world and wholeheartedly believes he can take Cotto's confidence without much resistance. In addition to that, Manny will want to beat Cotto more impressively again than Mayweather did earlier this year. But keep this in mind, in his fight with Cotto, Mayweather made a conscious decision to beat him on the inside, in effect to beat him at his own game. And he made that decision during the fight, which gives you a signal about how versatile the guy is. If he'd wanted to, he could have won by a wider margin by fighting his usual style, but, for me anyway, that would have been less impressive. I think he understood that he could give people a fan-friendly fight without incurring much genuine risk. So even if Pacquiao is more impressive against Cotto this time, it doesn't translate into him holding the advantage over Mayweather.

Manny is a great offensive fighter. He'll always look more impressive against fighters that aren't hard to find or cannot offer much resistance. In this case, Cotto is a little of both. Pacquiao will always look better against Cotto compared to Mayweather, but Floyd will always handle Marquez, something Pacquiao really hasn't done once in three fights.

Pacquiao-Cotto II will be a re-run, not a rematch. And as much as Pacquiao holds the advantage stylistically, the psychological advantage is even a bigger determent and factor going against Cotto. Something like the advantage Aaron Pryor brought to the rematch with Alexis Arguello. And like Arguello, when all is lost, Cotto will go out the same way Alexis did, trying with everything he has, but in the end accepting that he did his best, but the other guy had his number and he just couldn't beat him.

Frank Lotierzo can be contacted at GlovedFist@Gmail.com

puncher says:

Will have to disagree. I still think that Pac Man will win...but not that easy. This will be at 154...not 145. Cotto has shown a lot of improvment with the Cuban trainer (ask Margarito and Mayweather) and I still think that Cotto has some good hand speed that will give Pac Man some fits at a higher weight. Also it was Pac Man that had to go to the hospital to get surgery done on his destroyed ear due to Cotto's left hook to the head.

This will be a good fight for both and I think Cotto is well deserving of a rematch!

Don't believe those rumors and cyberspace junk. But, just in case, if a rematch is made, it will be a replay PLUS. Da Manny is upset about what the Sin City STANKS that be did to him against Tom Bambi -- I mean Tim Bradley -- so Da Manny will come to the next bout being full GODzilla and part GOrilla, and will super rush and crush the next opponent in dat square jungle.

Yall ain't seen Da Manny this pi$$ed off and determined. You muthasuckas, and a thousands muthasuckas dat look like yall, are in for a BIG SHOCK! "Para maka-bawi! Waray kailangan nang judges! That means: "It is payback TIME, Babbeeeee! Judges won't be needed."

Da next muthapugilist who enters that squared jungle with Da Manny is gettin' da double fudge KAYOED. If dat muthapugilist is Big Foot/Bambi, most than his feet are gettin' fudged up this time. From his big, ole cranium to his big, ole feet, da suckas is gettin' it. Holla!

ultimoshogun says:

I'm down for a rematch between these two, but we'll see if it actually happens. A couple days ago I read in a Rafael article which stated that before the Bradley fight was finalized, Cotto was the front runner but they couldn't agree on the weight. Pac wanted Cotto to come down to 147 and Cotto wanted it in the lower 150's. I agree stylistically this still favors Manny but if they do fight again this won't be a one sided annihilation like their first one. I still think Manny will edge out a win but it'll be alot more competitive this time around...no way he stops Cotto.

of course they will fight..

why in the world would mayweather pacman ever happen i mean that would make sense

for themselves and the entire boxing world who has asked for the fight....

continued disappointment, why am i surprised?

oh, and i have pacman by stoppage once again

Carmine Cas says:

I'd rather see Pacquiao fight Robert Guerrero but I think Bob Arum is too scared. And a fight with Cotto can go either way, def won't be a rerun

SouthPaul says:

Loves me some Cotto but I ain't feeling a rematch. Bring me something fresh, Top Rank. Adrien Broner was quoted recently as saying he wants some Manny. Claims he'll **** him up summin' terrible. Love to see him try! Give the young buck a shot.

DaveB says:

Once again, Broner needs to stop calling out Top Rank fighters where he know the matches can't be made. I wonder if Frank thinks of Radam when he writes these articles. lol

SouthPaul says:

Valid point, David. They all need to quit the nonsense and start making more fights outside their comfort zone. I ain't feeling no fourth Marquez bout either. Once good stuff now moldy crusty bread. Toss that stale talk out to the birds. I'm also tired of Pacqiauo's soft spoken replies leaving it up to his advisors and promoters. I've been impartial but could slowly be pushed into cheering for Floyd to the fullest. I ain't looking to strain my boxing brethren friendship with Radam but his countryman pissing me off with all that bible toting... politically correctness nonsensical gibberish.

w/inhim83 says:

manny should fight adrien broner! thats a fight that would sell and make sense
maywather like skills.. he can make a statement! young.. fast.. slick undefeated fighter! than all of the other options r wey too boring!

dino da vinci says:

manny should fight adrien broner! thats a fight that would sell and make sense

Even though Broner has yet to achieve a career defining win, I'd pay to see this. Manny hasn't looked like Manny in a bit now.

I'll take Cotto over Manny at 154. Aggresion, body punching and infighting lead to the Pacman getting stopped and his career ended in 10 rounds or so. Radam G goes into da double fudge therapy...

dino da vinci says:

Roast, two questions.

1) How does one go about getting a planet into therapy?
2) What in the world is your girl looking at in the photo?

Wow! The air in Italy is bad. I bet that the Roast is going bald like the Marvelous Marvin Hagler. Petty soon they will be double starring in a flick. And every day of the week and 15 times on Sunday, Cotto's arse Da Manny will KAYO in middle rounds. Holla!

And now Money May is sporting his bush! In Sin City Five-star Crossbars Inn, his baldy was too sexy. Hair on the cranium gave him allies of lice. And to Big Bubble, Lil' Joe and Choke Smoke that was not sexy nice. I heard that jail toughs ain't scare of anything, but lice. Hehehe! Holla!

I'm liking the diverse comments on this thread and there is an element truth to everything everyone has to say... I can't say for certain that Floyd would beat Pac,.. and I wouldn't even be crushed if he lost the fight. I'm sure he would be a good sport and give credit where it's due if his undefeated run came to an end.

Nobody better to lose to than PAC, who actually hasn't lost since Morales and possibly Marquez.

But I believe this bout will come off... early to mid 2013 and I look forward to the debates that follow when the fight is made. (bring it on baby)

I lean towards Mayweather in an action filled fight that causes both men to look for a new vocation afterwards.

I see Mayweather venturing towards his propensity for enterpreneurship and Pac venturing towards a lifelong commitment in the political Arena.. I even see a love-fest type reunion between Billionaire Floyd and President Pac...... where they even do a PBS,YOUTUBE, or ESPN type special chronicalizing their unique relationship. like Aaron and Arquello.

Stranger things have happended. fo' sho'.

Btw Cotto vs PAC is a tossup and 154.

Dino, I have no idea how to get planet G into therapy but he definately needs it. Maria is looking at her silver medal. Or it could be a locket featuring the Roasts picture. It could be....

ultimoshogun says:

From what i've read today, apparently Bradley is now the front runner since Marquez has priced himself out. I for one am glad we're not getting a fourth Marquez/Pacquiao fight. The Bradley fight was close enough to warrant a rematch...lets see if one of the two steps up and leaves no doubt this time.

Wow! Ultimoshogun. Maybe you ought check your shogun. No way in heck was "The Bradley fight close enough to warrant a rematch." Da Manny clearly beat Bambi's running-away, big-footed, sore-feet, deeply frightened arse. And the bout was not rich enough either to warrant a rematch. You are in the two percent of the world that saw a close bout, Ultimoshogun.

Bradley is a C-minus fighter who didn't even get a Big-screen Rocky win. Dude got a straight-up gift from hardcore, bigoted scums, who hated Da Manny for delaying the bout and for not being a stank -- I mean Yank. True dat and chew da whole truth.

One judge even admitted that he took the bout away from Da Manny because he "didn't see the old Manny, who would've finish Bradley." The female judge robbed Da Manny because she is an open, practicing bisexual lesbain, who was offended by the cyberlies that Da Manny reportedly said that "All gays should be put to death. [Check C.J. Ross out on her facebook.]

Double fudge Tim Bradley! He doesn't need another shot. The delusional running-man fighting bytch has become even more delusional, and has been calling Da Manny some vicious crazy syet, and even imagine that Da Manny is frighten of him and that Money May "would flatten" Da Manny. Whatever! [Money May would definitely kick da hebejeebeez outta Bradley's sorry arse.]

Nonetheless, if it is an Bradley-Pacquiao Bout II comes about, don't leave your tube because Da Manny is gonna kayo bytch dessert Tom Bambi -- I mean Tim Bradley -- the same way that Roy Jones Jr KAYOED that Chicago dude back in da day that the powers that be ripped Superman Jones Jr off to. Holla!

ultimoshogun says:

Just my opinion, but I felt their were some rounds that coulda been scored either way. I don't know how much Bradley's foot affected him during the fight, but i'm guessing he'll come into the rematch with more confidence. Couple that with a motivated Manny, who maybe doesn't wanna leave it in the hands of the judges and we have a pretty intriguing fight.

Bradley is gonna get GODzillaed and GOrillaed. His d@mn feet will affect him again, but not as much as his big cranium and musclebound torso. We have a BIG PAYBACK plan. And easily beating Bradley, Da Manny can. Stay tune. I have mad respect for your opinion. Holla!

Thanks UltimoShogun(cool introspective avatar too)
Thanks because you just said in one paragragh what I wanted to say....
And had planned to take ten paragraphs to say it ( on a cell phone)
Your version is the Quote of note for sure.
.......For the reasons you just stated I'd pay again to watch the rematch with pleasure.

The Good Doctor says:

Btw Cotto vs PAC is a tossup and 154.

120% agree. The Cotto that fought Manny the first time is way different from Cotto 2.0. Cotto is much more selective about engaging, better defensively, pumps the jab alot more, and most of all is trained a whole lot better. I have to give Diaz credit, his work with Cotto so far has been very good. Combine this with a Manny that does not have the punch he use to and is slightly slower makes for an intriguing match. I am not saying Manny would not win, I just think its a different match.

YUP! But either Cotto would get TFKO'ed by Da Manny. Some people wish for new cars, and other just look at falling stars. Hehehe! Punch power does not go away. Da Manny has the punching power that he use to. And, as Money May "has not lost a step," so has not Da Manny. Holla!

Thanks DOC,... I'd pay to see that one in a heartbeat too.

dino da vinci says:

Radam, you failed to tell the good people that punching power by itself means zero. If it was the sole criterion, then Ernie Shavers would still be undefeated and horrifying the masses. No one has said Manny's lost his punching power, but something has changed, and not for the better.

Dvd, I mean ddv, you forget that boxing is as life -- a minimum 75 percent mental. Ernie Shaver was not successful because he'd let greats con him into thinking that they were not hurt. Dude was a heavyweight Money May -- too caution when he had GOAT Ali and Larry Holmes in deep, deep trouble.

It is a lot of overdrive about Da Manny's decline. He's going to kayo Miguel earlier, the second time around. And if declined Money May steps up, Da Manny kayos him EARLY! Holla?

I feel Cotto fought the wrong fight against Manny the first time. Many fighters from da past have adjusted da fight plan and won rematches. At 154 Cotto is too strong for da Manny. With tears streaming down his face, Freddie Roach will stop da fight after the 10th round. "I'm not gonna let you keep taking these punches son, the fight is over." Radam, before you say anything, you have to disqualify yourself from the conversation. Like I told you before, love is blindness, you don't want to see, won't you wrap the night, around me. Blow out the candle, close the curtain, blindness.

Hope is like dope. It will jive you up, and make you think off. Hehehe! Holla!

ultimoshogun says:

It appears Team Pacman have painted themselves into a corner and are having trouble finding a dance partner. Marquez wants a bigger piece of the pie and supposedly won't fight in Vegas and Bradley ain't a big enough draw to get Manny the guaranteed purse he's demanding. Rafael reports that they have moved their fight date back to Dec.1...so maybe this means Team Pacman is gonna put the full court press and try to get a fight with Cotto since he's the biggest draw? Last I knew Cotto had no interest in another catchweight, and I hope he doesn't budge if they try to talk him down in weight. If Pacman wants Cotto then let Cotto fight at the weight he feels comfortable....BTW, thanks for the compliment B-sug.

No trouble whatsoever finding a pick. Cotto can weight what ever he likes. His arse is getting kayoed earlier this time. Cotto reminds me of Jersey Joe Walcott. Excuses were always made for him. But in the rematches with Joe Louis and Rocky Marciano, JJW was not even in the fight.

Miguel Cotto will not be in the bout with Da Manny. When it comes to Da Manny, MC has a JJW characteristic and chin. MC oughta quit sleeping with that sidekick of his. Every joker and his poker believe that MC and that sidekick are committing sin. HBO's 24/7 is so full of __ __ __ __ __ _! Hehehe! And yall muthasuckas just keep hope alive that Da Manny is gonna really get beaten. NYET!

His mitts have knockout maps on them directly to the chins of Cotto, Marquez, Bradley and Mayweather. Some people just like a diamond ring.... Some people just want everything. Hehehe! PacHaters, hate on. I know that song. It is now a broken record.

Every yank and dey stank are going to beat Da Manny! And da Long Ranger -- I mean the crybaby Marquez has never lost to Da Manny. But "...It was just [yo'] imagination... ONCE Agaiinnn!... Runnin' awaay wif [you]!" Hahahaha! NYET! Holla!

dino da vinci says:

We got a bit lucky in our discovery, and the facts are starting to quickly emerge. It seems that one Radam G. Pacquiao, Esq., the recluse brother of the multi-weight division champion Manny, is in fact the mastermind behind the global phenonomon that is known as Pacmania. It appears Radam G, Manny H, and Bobby I are the seventh, eighth and ninth children of Roger and Dolores Packard of Scranton, Pennsylvania. Roger, a dentist, and Dolores, a housewife, are third generation Scrantonians, and are believed to be of Romanian (Italian?) descent. It was Radam, who upon returning home with his Filipino bride after graduating law school, was watching Rocky I after being banished to the couch due to a discord with his new wife, Lettia Macquiao. It was there that he realized all the untapped potential in what would be the new family business. More as this unfolds.

with dramatic-literary vision like that Dino,... they ought to hire you to re-write the season finale of TrueBlood. how many ways can Russell Edgington meet the true death?

Wow! You got me rolling! Hahaha! Hehehe! Holla!

Hmm, that makes sence to me. Explains alot too

SouthPaul says:

That is golden. Lmao.

dino da vinci says:

Sugarman, having never seen TrueBlood, you'll have to highlight me. But, I'll weave the insane one into the final episode, I promise you.

SouthPaul says:

Dino

Can I give my number to you and you pass it over to David Avilla? Tried with Mike but got no response whatsoever. Thanx

Olerud says:

Both of them have matured their styles. It will be an explosive fight. I still think Manny would win, but 3 or 4 rounds to Cotto. Pacquiao would open a cut on Miguel's face though, there will probably be a couple times when Manny gets close to tko'ing him but it won't happen.

Manny by UD

Latest Articles

klimasdubiousthatwardkovalevcouldbemade
nextforlomachenkoqiwantnumberoneq
celinathesweetheartsalazarwinsincostarica
commissionerscornerataleoftwodivisions
fightnetworkthrowsuslaunchpartyinny
gggwow
onkovalevhopkinsandthecontinuationofthecoldwarthaw
countingdowntoaug9goldenboyshowatbarclays
examiningchilembavscummings
douglasandsorofighttodrawon200thshobox

Who's the best Mexican boxer today?