Robert Guerrero Says He's Earned Floyd Fight: Do YOU Agree, Reader?

BY The Sweet Science ON July 31, 2012

004 Robert Guerrero vs Selcuk AydinJuly 31, 2012 - This past weekend, Robert "The Ghost" Guerrero (30-1-1, 18 KOs) made history by becoming the only Mexican-American prizefighter, other than Oscar De La Hoya, to become a multiple world champion in four divisions and only the third fighter in history to win a Featherweight and Welterweight world title other than the great Henry Armstrong and superstar Manny Pacquiao. He claimed victory winning the WBC Interim welterweight title with a thrilling and historical performance against undefeated power puncher, Selcuk Aydin (23-1, 17 KOs), who was ranked No. 1 in the world and viewed by many as the biggest puncher in the division.

After moving up six weight classes and capturing championships in multiple weight classes, Guerrero solidifies himself as a pound for pound performer. The Aydin win makes Guerrero a top contender in the welterweight division and makes him the mandatory challenger to face who many feel is the best fighter in the world, Floyd "Pretty Boy" Mayweather (43-0, 26 KOs).

Guerrero has always sought out the toughest opponents but has been avoided by the biggest names in boxing such as Juan Manuel Marquez, Juan Diaz, Amir Khan and Chris John. Now, after his gritty and inspiring performance, "The Ghost" has earned himself a mega fight.

"Everyone said it was an impossible feat to move up two weight classes and fight the number one contender coming off a 15 month layoff and rotator cuff surgery, but my belief in Jesus Christ carried me to victory." said Guerrero. "I know I have the abilities to beat the best fighters in the world. The world saw me punch with the puncher and bully the bully. That's the sign of a true warrior."

"The Ghost" spoke on his plans of ending the reign of the P4P king and becoming the full fledged WBC champion.

"Right now I got "Pretty Boy" on my radar. I know I have the style that could end his unbeaten record and give him his first loss. I've been campaigning to get that fight and now I've earned it. So there is no excuse why this fight can't be made. We both started out at the lighter weights and captured multiple world titles as we moved up. Me and my team have earned the mega fight and no one can deny what we accomplished on Saturday. I'm willing to put my life on the line to give the fans what they deserve and that's to see the best fight the best. Floyd's got a decision to make, either step in the ring with me, or give up his title...it's your choice Pretty Boy."

Guerrero also sent a message to all fans across the world watching on SHOWTIME, which was more important to him than any boxing match he has ever had which is saving lives.

"I encourage everyone to go to BeTheMatch.org or LLS.org and sign up. A beautiful woman from Germany named Katharina saved my wife's life and I'm grateful for her and the people of Germany. It will only take a few minutes of your life to possibly save someone forever. Thank you and God Bless."

NO! I don't think that the Cali Ghost earned JACK! Holla!

SouthPaul says:

An honest fighter with a wife recovering from cancer... working construction part time... For those reasons I make case for you and your family to see the fruits of your labor that will surely come from a MAyweather bout but truthfully... I ain't too interested in seeing this go down. Nothing personal, just doesn't get my boxing juices flowing.

why not radam g?

floyd lost 5 rounds to cotto, a past prime war torn cotto in a tough dog fight...

a fight in which floyd said was his toughest opponent of his life, a fighter in which pacman

destroyed like a pinata 3 years ago...

so why doesnt the ghost deserve that shot at floyd?

the ghost has the tools to box the boxer and make it competitive...

who else is there? who else would be a better fight or deserves it more at ww?

i am seriously asking...
i cant think of anyone else

Those are other pretenders -- I mean contenders -- in the line ahead of the Cali Ghost. And dey "ain't afraid of no ghost!" I know that the game is crooked, the Cali G Ghost also was not that exciting against that Turk. So now, biting off of SouthPaul, why give him the Mayweather's perk?

Money May won't be dancing for a while anyway. Dude suffered badly in that five-star hotel. He develop a lockdown phobia. He got a steroid-withdrawal sydrome, and the jailhouse food fudge up his body chemicals. The hardcore watch was on Money May. Nobody and dey bytch could sneak any jive to him. Just take a peep at him Friday when he steps out.

The Sin City __ ___ ____ ___ fudged up its billion-dollar economy-making machine. The Cali G-Ghost doesn't presently fit in the Money May's future. And the game is about making BIG a PRIZE, not a BIG PRIDE. Holla!

Amayseng come on fam Cotto is not past his prime he was drain against Pac and he wasn't against Mayweather. I promise you if Pac fights Cotto at 154 he would be in a world of trouble.

Now as far as the Ghost deserving a shot at Mayweather HELL FUC*ING NO!!!!!!
Bradley he just beat Pac..Cotto rematch...Martinez especially if he beats Chavez...Garcia if he's willing to move up to 147 he did just beat Khan...Canelo just because it would be a much bigger fight then it would be with the Ghost plus he's a much better fighter.

Real Talk says:

LOL @ Radam G!!!!! You beat me to the punch on this one. The Ghost barely got past what his name LOL!!!!! His shots look like feather dusters at welter and wasn't taking the shots good at all. Go back down to 140 and try your hand there. Dueces

Real Talk says:

Ali, couldn't have said it better myself. You aint never lied homie. Dueces

ultimoshogun says:

I disagree that Guerrero has "earned" the shot, but it does make sense if Floyd wants to take this fight to shake off the dust since he's been in the clink. I don't think Guerrero poses much of a threat.

Being "DRAINED" is a punk-out excuse. So-called DRAINED is just as much a part of boxing as makin' dat moola -- BIG or small. It comes with the terrority.

Cotto will not BEAT Da Manny EVER! At 154lbs, Da Manny would KAYO Miguel's top-heavy arse even QUICKER!!! Probably in six rounds or so.

Back in the day, when Roberto Duran lost 40 pounds in a seven weeks to fight Sugar Ray Robinson in the rematch, no Panamians and/or any Hispanics or Aispanics were talkin' jive-turkey syet about RD being "DRAINED!" So SCLA Ali, none of us H and/or A cats need you Ebonicans to excuse-make for Cotto, while trying to sneak that hatred up in Da Manny's grill. Cotto LOST fair and square. And he has sucked it UP like a man, and moved ON! Dude is not a Money May -- I mean a SHE man -- he has cojones. [Maybe Money May found his while being on lockdown. Hehehe!]

If Money May decides to dance with Da Manny, I expect for you to say that Money May was badly affected by lockdown, and woulda, coulda, shoulda beat Da Manny if not for that. WOW! OMFG! You guys are HEAVEEEEEEE on the alibis and jacked-up lies. Da Manny KAYOS Money May EARLY! Holla!

Now as far as the Ghost deserving a shot at Mayweather HELL FUC*ING NO!!!!!!

ali you think cotto's prime is 31 and not closer to 28? that makes no sense.
No, then that means he is past his prime.
mayweather wont fight sergio, no way, not even at 154, a cotto rematch would be interesting but cotto feels he got robbed and wont take that fight again.
garcia looked great against khan but khan is khan, outboxed him until taking a shot and getting smashed.
canelo vs floyd would be great, but canelo is more protected than the godfather...
canelo fights fighters who have no chance remember.

im not saying the ghost is a threat to floyd but its a good tune up for him out of the joint.

More "protected that the godfather..." Hehehehe! That was a classic!

I agree, Amayseng, that Money May fighting the Cali Ghost would be a good tune up bout for him. Holla!

SouthPaul says:

I was debating that topic with a friend. 2 months ...lol.... 2 months in the country jail in the best country in the entire world when it comes to prison and prisoners ....if you doubt that then watch an episode of Locked UP Abroad. So seriously how badly could anyone erode physically in that Commissary MAyweather jail situation? C'mon, now.. Insy bitsy rusty... A little groggy... A tad constipated assuming he dropped his soap guard one too many times. Lmao. Floyd got no excuses. He should have no probs rebounding.

SouthPaul I agree Mayweather does not need a tune up he will still be on schedule to fight at the end of the year as planed. Now if Mayweather feels like he needs a tune up then he should fight Bradley (yeah im calling him a tune up) he's got a much bigger name (cuz of the pac fight) then the Ghost and y'all got to remember Mayweather is about getting paid. Alvarez, Pac, Martinez, Cotto are not tune ups but I believe he would still be able to beat anyone of them by the end of the year.

ali you think cotto's prime is 31 and not closer to 28? that makes no sense.
No, then that means he is past his prime.
canelo fights fighters who have no chance remember.

Don't look at a fighters age look at how he performs and Cotto still does that at a high level. He just gave the best fighter in the world his toughest fight ever. Now if he loses to somebody like Kirkland, K9 or Trout then I would start to think he's past his prime but until then he's still in his prime to me.

Sorry guys! But spoiled, deep-pocket reared Lil Floyd was fudged UP badly in that Sin City five-star hotel. It is only a matter of time before some scribe with deep connections break the story about how badly that Lil Floyd did on lockdown. He ain't BAD! He now has tasted the reality of terror and not having his way. AND IT HAS FUDGED HIM UP! Dude was on jail meds and everXang [sic]!

You will be okay, SCLA Ali! Reality is hard to accept sometimes for some folk. A whole lot of boxer "still [perform] at a high level," including Money May, but he is definitely past his prime. And so is Da Manny. Cut out the reality distortion and mass nostalgia. Call a spade a spade. Holla!

OneTonMan says:

Guerrero hasn't earned a fight with Mayweather.
He just wants to earn more than enough.

The game is about making that moola, OneTonMan. It is known as prizefighting. Don't hate da Cali Ghost for effort. Book, hook or crook, he definitely wants to get paid BIG! Holla!

AvirexVa says:

Definitely do NOT agree. First of all hes only a 2 division champ and a 2 division interim champ there is a difference. Next, beating an untested ww like Aydin means less than hes giving himself credit for. I enjoy and respect the ghost and his story, but he needs at least one more challenge at ww before calling out Floyd saying u deserve it. He wants that payday but maybe 1 in 10 people actually want to see that fight. As for who is a better more deserving next opponent for Floyd, that is another conversation.