Dear Adrien Broner

BY The Sweet Science ON July 26, 2012

BronerEscodedo Lovell20Dear Adrien:

This past Saturday, I followed the minute by minute drama that led up to your fight against Vicente Escobedo on HBO’s Boxing After Dark.

I’d paid attention previously to the process of your making weight, the tweets that pictured junk food, and your obvious contempt for an element of boxing that is a key component in making it a true competitive sport instead of just a barbaric exhibition. I saw how you laughed in the face of an opponent who took his responsibilities seriously, and in the faces of naïve fans who thought you were interested in fair competition. I followed the garish all-day game of chicken on Saturday, as somewhere behind the scenes a price was negotiated for which Escobedo would sell his dignity, his weeks of devoted preparation to fighting in a lower weight class, and any realistic hope of victory that he might have had. I watched you mop up the aftermath of all that with the utterly predictable beat-down that ensued. And I watched the degrading stunt you set up in the ring, apparently luring a lovely young woman into believing you were going to propose marriage, only to switch at the moment of truth to “Will you brush my hair”?

Funny? Not in the slightest.

Here is what the record says: You are 24-0 with 20 knockouts. The evidence suggests that you have the potential to become one of the most successful prizefighters in the world.

Here is what my eyes and ears told me: You are a loser.

There is nothing wrong with demonstrating confidence and bravado. But there are ways to do it while showing dignity and respect for the event which has been built around you.

There is nothing wrong with projecting a big colorful personality. But there are ways to do that without embarrassing your fans and your family.

After one weekend’s exposure to you, I will agree that your nickname works well. You are, indeed, a “problem”.

The weight thing may feel like a technicality to you. I’m guessing you saw your hero, Floyd Mayweather, do that to Juan Manuel Marquez a few years ago and thought it was cool, really getting over, giving the house fighter the kind of prohibitive advantage that too often goes with being the house fighter.

But all it really shows, Adrien, is shortsightedness. You robbed fans of the expected competition. You robbed Escobedo of the respect he deserved for putting in the work to come down to your weight class. You robbed the event of its already-thin veneer of legitimacy. You robbed yourself of the credit you would have gotten for a real win over a former Olympian. This proved only that you cheat effectively. At a moment when boxing fans are finding too many reasons to stop watching, you gave them another one.

And don’t even get me started on your asinine postfight behavior. I would hope beyond hope that the poor girl you embarrassed with your fake proposal stunt was in on the joke. But judging from the look on her face and what she reportedly tweeted afterward, I suspect not. I am sincerely hoping that, when your mother was feverishly whispering in your ear before you were interviewed by Max Kellerman, she was trying to talk you out of that nonsense. But I have to assume that wasn’t the case either. When you rose from your knees and stated that you were “too young” to be married, you couldn’t have been more correct.

But it is my understanding that you are not too young to have fathered four children. I don’t know who their mother or mothers are. If you can’t be respectful to fans, your opponent, your girlfriend, or anyone else associated with your success, at least perhaps you could consider doing some of the right things for your children.

You could begin by reconsidering wearing a printed T-shirt that honors a man who pled guilty to beating the mother of his own children in front of them. He’s not the best role model available for a family man. Keep following his path and maybe you’ll get to where he is right now. I guarantee you, no one in jail will brush your hair for you; at least, not the way you want them to brush it.

So Adrien, it’s pretty simple. You are young, gifted and anointed. You can impress a small niche audience with the kind of act you are fronting right now. Or you can open yourself up to an entire world, which might want to admire the way you fight if they can just admire the rest of the way you behave too. You have a chance to impress an untold number of people, including your own four children. Be a champ, not a chump.

With hopeful regards,

A Woman Who Loves Boxing

dino da vinci says:

Anointed? Just seven fights ago he fought an opponent who was several months shy of his 40th birthday. Who came in losing 14 out of his last 19. Five fights ago, he won a bout that some believe the scoring was much worse than the Bradley, Pac affair. Not making weight tells you volumes about the level of respect for the sport. He's cheating the fan base. Can he fight? Of course he can. But so can others who'll match up well in the real near future. Much too early to proclaim him the next great thing.

If he thinks HBO is going to tolerate this foolishness, then he's truly delusional.

CPX says:

Wow, what an article, nice indeed, he's getting way way way ahead of himself this youngling, he may well have to eat the biggest slice of humble pie this side of Anthony Weiner since well.. AW, Al Haymom, have a f**king word will ya !!!

CPX says:

Hey there, real nice writing, this guy is a douche for sure, humble pie coming soon I feel, Al Haymon, have a word will ya !!!

michaelabii says:

Wonderful article / letter ! Broner is a product of his environment i.e four children at 22. Not that I am judging hm because for all I know he could be a great father. He is also a great talent, I love the way he went to the body consistently before stopping Escobedo. What he lacks right now is character and that may come with age and maturity or it may not. Only time will tell. HBO is not helping matters by "spoiling" this young man. In essence if HBO wanted to retain any "character" and dignity they should have pulled the plug on the fight as a lesson to Broner. Instead they sheepishly complied with Broners plan. Shame on HBO. Al Haymon is a dealmaker and so he did what he is paid to do in order to make the fight happen. Such is boxing in 2012 !

wow, what a great article, very well written and completely true.

broner has escobedo come down in weight which makes it harder on him than usual making and cutting weight and broner comes in heavy...

what is worse is that broner thinks he is special for beating escobedo in an unfair bout.

what is worse than that is this young mans narcissistic and idiotic actions.

the guy could go 40-0 for the next 5 years and i could care less.

in my maturing years i wont give this type of person my attention or time.

he is not worth it.

what does it say about his parents with him acting like this?

i would never disrespect my parents as he does

As long as Broner keeps winning all of his naysayers will continue to watch him.

Can Broner fight? Probably! Depending on the definition of fighting -- being able to return fire. And that is just a way to put on a performance. Nonetheless, I doubt that Broner fight a top gun. He is all that, and a bad chips when it comes to having everything favoring him. But the minute the the odds against him, he will fall apart just like he idol, and making up syet about being the top draw in the game, and needing to clean up the sport from various kinds of cheater, while he is the biggest cheat. The jury is still out on Broner, but they are leaning toward him not being legit, and every in the game, he is going to quit. He ain't ___ ___ ___! Holla!

admin says:

Our man Joe Rein weighed in, wanted to tell A Woman that she was spot on! Same with Seis Gonzalez!

SouthPaul says:

Fun read but If you're going to put yourself in the front page spot light then you should provide us with a name and who exactly you are. Otherwise it's hard to take you too serious as well. That's just it, don't take this kid too serious, it's obvious he's an attention seeker. Too bad Merchant was doing the post fight interview... He would've pulled the plug. Show over. Lmao

SouthPaul says:

Dear Author

Is that you in the photo, one with the tatt'ed sleeves... Glasses.... Looking up???

SouthPaul says:

Or this a female fighter? Lucia Rijker???? You were always a bit of a mystery. A lot talking... Hardly ever in the ring. Or or or or...this your alter ego, Oscar????? You dressed in that weekend drag while penning this piece???? Lol, tell me! ok, I give up...

Pachachis says:

I am glad I did not see this fight as I would have gotten sicker. His behavior, form what I have read so far, tells me the kind of environment he is used to being in. He does not realize that not everybody will acquiesce to his antics. This punk needs to get a reality pill and face fighters his own weight, but I guess it’s not his fault as those who sponsored this fight did so to “promote” somebody like him. Four kids at 22 tells me the kind of “responsible” man he is…

SouthPaul says:

Some of the comments regarding Broner are outright bigotry. Put the baker utensils away and quit trying to make every one cookie cut. TGIF. I love you people.

dino da vinci says:

Lucia was the best female fighter in the history of the sport. And by a lot.

SouthPaul says:

Yes I saw her a time or two but not much more than that? She seemed to do more talking than fightin or maybe other people talked her up more but whatever the case be I hardly ever seen her in action. Ive got a decent sized fight tape library from that timeline and I doubt there's much of her in it other than interviews and some commentary on Espn. In fact I'm close to having all that stuff converted over to DVD. My routine was to put in a tape.. Press record....let it roll until the entire telecast was over. Some very good fights, interviews, etc in that batch.

BOIEMACHO says:

Oh my, oh my , oh my.......I wish him dead.

Please believe/
Broner he's pleased
with all the hate he receives/

Cuz the more hate he receives/
the more papper he sees/
y'all know he got four babies he feeds/

Damn im dope LOL!!

SouthPaul says:

Floats like a mosquito.. Pesters like a fly....trying hard to keep his name in the public eye... False marriage intensions ...lacks conviction.. Cares only for the attention......goofier than a blunted out stoner.. and his name is Adrien Broner.

Anyhow, TRue dat, the more hate the louder the cash register chaaaaaaaa chings!!!!
Cincinnati cleverness. I ain't angry...

Carmine Cas says:

Great article, what's sad is that Broner will not be able to read more than half of it. If boxing was more unified, behavior like this would not be tolerated.

dino da vinci says:

I'm working on it Carmine, I'm working on it.

WOW! I see that I'm not the only poet any LONGER! Muthasuckas are challenging me, and coming on so much STRONGER! Momma told me that there will be days this. But I was too busy gettin' on my p!ss. Hehehehe! Holla!

SouthPaul says:

I'd like to see you and Pappy MAyweather Sr battle it out for poetry supremacy.

SouthPaul says:

Sometimes I wish..other times I don't. I don't like the idea of a commission telling me how I can dress, talk, chew my fancy bubble gum, etc. But, Admittedly, the sport needs better organization.

The Sweet Scientist says:

To: Ms. Boxing Lover (or is that the veil you're wearing to conceal your identity?!)

For arguments sake, I'll assume the latter. First, let me begin by applauding you for a well written article. Secondly, your criticism pertaining to the blatant disregard of the original contractual weight agreed upon by both fighters is without a doubt, warranted. Additionally, the flagrant manner in which he went about doing so warrants further criticism and has little to be desired from a sportsmanship perspective. However, the aforementioned is the little praise that I could muster regarding the poignancy of your letter.

Nonetheless, with that being said, from a sportsmanship perspective; the financial terms to the bout were renegotiated and Escobedo was compensated as a results Broner's contractual indiscretion(s). Escobedo chose to continuing participating in the spectacle. He wasn't forced to do so! Going forward, please spare us your babbling about Adrien Broner's 'shortsightedness' and his 'robbery' of competition on that night. Escobedo was a 6/1 betting under-dog on that night and I'm certain that had absolutely nothing to do with 5lbs weight disparity on the night of the fight. Instead I'm sure it had everything to do with the fact that Escobedo was outclassed in the ring by his counterpart!

Moreover, your criticism regarding Broner's, as you previously stated, "asinine" pre-fight & post-fight behavior is well deserved but in my opinion is fickle and hypocritical . Can I tell you what the beauty of a free market economy is? It is that the consumer dictates the ebb & flow in the market place. With that being said, if you don't like the flavor of the entertainment that wets your dull palate then change the channel!

Lastly, your hypocrisy is shameful and I am sure it stems from the same root cause, money. Like Broner having the need to sell tickets and increase ratings you have the need to increase subscribers and or traffic to the website (however you go about monetizing the site). Unfortunately, unlike Broner who can compensate his opponent as a result of his indiscretions. On the other hand, how do you compensate Adriene Broner for your disgraceful reference to his children, "you could consider doing some of the right things for your children." Please explain to me what wrong this young man done to or by his children? What right do you have to characterize him in such a light?! Where's the accountability for your actions?! That veil suits your cowardice!

Love you,