Should He Be "Tap Out" Victor Instead of "Vicious Victor?"

BY Ron Borges ON June 25, 2012

OrtizLopez Hogan18Perhaps it is time for Victor Ortiz to change his nickname from “Vicious Victor’’ to “Tap Out’’ Victor?

For the second time in his career, Ortiz quit in the midst of a fight and for the third time he looked for a way out, the latter being his bizarre hugfest with Floyd Mayweather, Jr. while in the midst of taking a beating that led to him first head butt Mayweather like a billy goat and then eat a rapid fire combination that knocked him out as he tried to plead for forgiveness by repeatedly grasping Mayweather after referee Joe Cortez said, “Let’s go!’’

To be fair, Saturday night was slightly different but he still failed to adhere to the warrior’s code that rules boxing. In what had become a surprisingly close fight, Ortiz found himself getting as good as he was giving against Josesito Lopez, a journeyman junior welterweight who was refusing to be overwhelmed even though Ortiz can crack despite his apparent heart defect.

According to Ortiz early in the ninth round, Lopez “busted my jaw.’’ At the end of the round Ortiz ignored the pleading of his corner and signaled to referee Jack Reiss that he was through.

“Say what?’’ Reiss asked, incredulous. “What’s broken? Are you stopping the fight?’’

Ortiz was at that point struggling to free himself from the grasp of trainer Danny Garcia, who was pleading for him to continue. He then looked at Reiss when he asked if he was stopping the fight and said “Yes.. My jaw’s broken.’’

According to his manager, Roberto Arellano, Ortiz’s jaw was indeed broken in two places and was re-set the next day with a plate screwed into it. Certainly the pain was immense but sadly for Ortiz boxing isn’t called the hurt business for nothing.

Absorption of absurd amounts of pain is a requirement if one is to maximize one’s gifts in prize fighting. It is expected and demanded. This is not UFC, where a man can quit with no penalty. Quit inside a boxing ring once and you are seen as suspect. Do it twice and you become thought of the way Lopez expressed it Saturday night after his hand was raised.

“I’m a man,’’ said Lopez (31-4, 19 KO), who fought much of the night with his left eye half closed and his right swollen. “I’m not intimidated by nothing. He tried to intimidate me but it didn’t work. Victor has no heart!’’

Harsh though that may seem to civilians and absurd as it may sound to many who do not understand boxing’s harsh demands, there is nothing worse that can be said about a fighter than those four words: “Victor has no heart.’’

Fighting with a broken jaw for nine more minutes would have been excruciating. It is far easier to tell someone else what they should do with their pain than it is to face your own. Yet the demands of boxing are clear when you sign on. You do not quit.

That is what separates fighters from the rest of the population. When good sense and every fiber of your body is screaming at you to retreat, they go forward. When it is clear the pain is unbearable, they fight on. It is the warrior’s code, the fighter’s heart. Sadly, Victor Ortiz does not follow the code nor have that heart.

He can punch like a mule and it would be unfair to say he is totally without heart because he is not. He fought bravely against Andre Berto and for much of the fight with Lopez. Both lashed him with big punches and he fought back. The problem for Ortiz is when the opponent not only continues to lash him but appears to get the upper hand and asks him to pay a price for victory he feels is too high.

When that happens, Ortiz folds up and quits as he did against Marcos Maidana in 2009, did in a more curious way against Mayweather and did over his corner’s protest Saturday night. Would fighting on with a broken jaw be common sense? Of course not but is boxing common sense in the first place? No it is not.

Fighting with a broken jaw is far from without precedent. Ken Norton broke Muhammad Ali’s jaw in the second round of their 1973 fight in San Diego. Ali fought on despite increasing swelling and lost a split decision. But one does not have to go that far into history to find an example of the warrior’s approach to a broken jaw.

In 2006, Arthur Abraham, then IBF middleweight champion, had his jaw broken in two places by Edison Miranda in the fifth round. Abraham fought on after initially saying he wanted to stop, won the fight and the next day had 22 screws and two plates riveted into his jaw. He was widely praised for his bravery and ate out of a straw for some time.

Had Ortiz at least tried to go on one would have more respect for his decision but unlike Ali, Abraham and others in boxing’s painful history, he did not. His jaw appeared to come unhinged in the latter moments of the ninth round and he ran for the remaining seconds and understandably so.

But after coming to his corner he not only refused to listen to his trainer but called the referee over and said his jaw was broken and he could not go on. Would not go on is a better way to put it.

After he quit against Maidana in 2009 after being knocked down and pummeled, Ortiz told a national TV audience, “I’m going to stop while I’m ahead, and that way, I can speak well when I’m older. We’ll see what happens from here on out, man. I’m young, but I don’t think I deserve to be getting beaten up like this. So I have a lot of thinking to do.”

His conclusion was to return to boxing and he did well enough. He won a welterweight title, got up off the floor to beat Berto and provided fans with some sizzling action because his defense is as bad as his offense is good. But he fouled blatantly against Mayweather once he got frustrated and his first night back after a nine month layoff he blatantly fouled Lopez several times as well, rabbit punching him behind the head. Admittedly Lopez at times was dipping low but as Reiss told Ortiz twice that didn’t give him the right to drill him in the back of the neck, a particularly vulnerable area for a boxer.

Ortiz did it more than once and he did it more than twice, truth be told. Reiss threatened to penalize him but did not. Soon Lopez would, cracking his jaw with a sweeping hook that landed with Ortiz’s mouth open. That, too, was fitting because frankly he talks too much and fights too little.

But now he has a lot more thinking to do because, frankly, a boxing ring is not the place for him. Victor Ortiz can punch like a mule and he can be vicious at times but long before he fought Mayweather James Toney, a boxer who is as old school as Ortiz is New Age, predicted Ortiz would quit again. James Toney was right.

When faced with the harshest side of the business he himself chose, Victor Ortiz at least twice has chosen the one act that is unacceptable.

He tapped out. Now maybe he is too.

C'mon, GUYS! Hop outta the Vicious One's grill. He didn't come close to get on a "Tap Out." Team VVO's corner did not do its job. Nuff spit! Holla!

SouthPaul says:

Gerald McClellan and Meldrick Taylor. Too much heart and not enough quit. Great for the blood thirsty fans; bad for those two fighters and their families. Ortiz' comments in the Midiana fight were so refreshing to me..a sport filled with so much false bravado.. Fighters claiming they'd rather die than quit.. And I believe these goofballs exist... Goofballs because in the end..it shouldn't be that serious..we are talking a sport here.. It's nothing worth dying for. Better a coward for a day or a moment than dead for the rest or your life. Lmao at all the unrealistic expectations.

ultimoshogun says:

Perfectly said SouthPaul...Too often we forget thats somebody's son, brother or dad in there taking a beating.

dino da vinci says:

The above guys commenting are three of my favorite reads, but I think Borges made the more valid points. I like to watch Victor fight as much as the next guy, but I don't believe he's helping his cause; because the more this continues, the more his opponents will delay quitting themselves when things get ugly. They'll hold out hope that if they can just hang in there, something really good may happen.

@Radam: Boot the corner, Radam?
@ultimo: But he was also in the process of dispensing a beating as well...

NICELY -- NOT, IMHO -- "Perfectly said SouthPaul." Nonetheless, you cannot "be dead for the rest of your life." I think that there is no darn life in being dead is it? But, then again, I ain't ever been dead as far as I know, so I don't know Jackspit about what is in being dead. But if my arse can back or make contact with you, I've holla at cha.' Hahahaha!

Dat darn Grim Reaper better make sure that he has me down and out. See, AIN'T no PUNK! I'll fight everything but a nun and a woman. Glady Reaper or Sister Teresa Reaper probably will get my arse with no problems. But Grim? I'm gonna try to fudge him up and 1,001 deaths that look like him for awhile, as my 109-year-old Uncle Mamoy has been doing dat arse. Holla!

YUP! No DOUBT! "BOOT da CORNER." You need liars, con men and wacko to trick you into denying the pain and blood and finishing the bout and gettin' da win. And then everybodee and dey momma won't be acting like you committed a deadly boxing SIN! -- QUITTING!!!

GBGOAT, the late Angie Dundee, could work and hide pain and injuries from his fighters. Holla!

riverside says:

In RG words wow!! The writing hit the spot. on my view I will not call Victor Ortiz any more names My bad!! he has proven to be a good competitor and very good loser,to say the least,unlike some bravado boxers who lose and refuse to knowledge defeat. Vicious doesn't fit him, in his profession. He quit fighting and that's all she wrote. Mikey garcia said yesterday his brother did his job as a trainer and it is up to Ortiz to do his job, Mikey and Josesito share the same two feathers gym in riverside,but Mikey is neutral. and blames Ortiz for quitting the bout. if I would have gotten my jaw broken, i would have pleaded with my corner to continue if they thought of stopping the fight, but then i again i don't know any better, we have too many brave men in the cemetery.

Ron Borges,.. and I say this with the upmost respect.... your full of sh*&T.
There's no way you or any other keyboard tapper on the TSS could type your A-B-C's with a broken jaw,..

Maybe I could be wrong,...cause some of these guys claim to be so tough they woulda' beat Josesito with an Eye Patch, a Colostomy Bag, ....a broken jaw, and one arm tied behind their back.

It's so intimidating... . almost got my knees knockin... just to come in here and post up.

****But Please don't mention Arthur Abraham,.. he begged vehemently to get out of the Miranda fight... on several occassions, they even stopped the bout several times to let AA rinse his mouth, get some air, and spit (mid round).

Miranda tried to go to AA's body since AA had the ear muffs on in an effort to bring his hands down and was deducted 3 points for his efforts...
it was the worst Farce in boxing. AA gets credit from me for drinking a gallon of blood during an aerobic exercise.

Ali said he didn't even feel his fracture. Everybodies different.
All boxers are different.

All the talk about Ortiz melting down, and having some kind of psychosis that sets in during fights...
that forces him to subconsciously implode mentally is bullsh*&T

He just got his jaw broke and called it quits because of the injury.... it happens. He supposedly wants to exercise his rematch clause. If he does it'll damn well sell tickets and get some prime cable airtime.

Yes Lopez fought his *** off,... he always does,.. he gives his all. But I didn't see Ortiz give any less than Lopez did,... until he got injured.

Why hasn't anybody said anything about the way Jorge Arce quit against Rojas?
and there hasn't been any confirmation of a punchered eardrum?

Yeah..... Ortiz has that mellow surfer dude thing going on like he just finished a blunt,...and everythings ok........but we know he's got some issues,..nearly all boxers do. I just don't see anything wrong with what he did.

I think his performance is being contrasted negatively with what Josesito was not supposed to be able to do,... which was give Ortiz some serious competition.

everybody went ecstatic whenever Lopez came close to landing,.. the announcers too because we all like the underdog (and a good upset). ....every dog has his day.

and I think it takes away from Lopez's victory by claiming that he won against a self-destructive psycho... Lopez won against a good former champ.

If that's NOT true what does that make Lopez... just another jouneyman bum who got lucky against pussy-Ortiz but will lose his next fight against an elite class boxer???

just my two cents... now back to the blood and guts...

tlig says:

I know a lot of boxing fans on the internet do not like Victor and I can- to some degree- understand this but the fact is his jaw was broken. Seriously guys, is it any wonder fighters don't care about the fans these days when us fans show no appreciation for their well being? Even Ali admitted that he'd have stopped if he knew his jaw was broken, asked "why" by the interviewer and his answer was "you think I'm a fool?". Ortiz may not be the type of warrior we like but that's his choice. Not everyone is willing to die in there and that's fine by me.

tlig says:

gZOTTIE says:

Both sides of this argument make solid points, so allow me to introduce some middle ground. This fight confirmed that Victor Ortiz is officially a gatekeeper of the welterweight divisions. If you want to be a great, you have to get past Victor. If you lose to Victor, you're now a journeyman.

Victor's star prematurely rose for without merit. After quitting to Maidana, he then beat another contender in Berto. That's not enough to crown him an A-List fighter.

In conclusion, quite honestly, we all drank the kool-aid of a good promoter if we expected more.

The definition of insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

~SG

undisputed34 says:

B Sug...you are the man. And THAT was the best post concerning this subject. I remember once years ago while sparring with a cruiser in miami, i got touched up and let me tell you, i dont care if you have boxed or not...when somebody puts one on the button, to hell with what anyone else has to say. After six rounds (which was my limit) of jabbing this sparkplug of a guy to death, i was about to get out of the ring when coach demanded we go two more rounds...long story short, he came over the top of a lazy jab with everything he had and i danced like michael jackson. Everyone on the sidelines afterward said i took it like a champ and shrugged it off, but the ONLY reason i didnt quit right then is because i was literally unconscious on my feet. I didnt remember hearing the bell ring to stop or start the next round and the only way i knew it was over was because someone jumped up and took my headgear off for me. When i spit my mouthpiece out, i couldnt open or close my mouth completely for two weeks. i even lost a couple of pounds because i didnt want to eat. To hell with what anybody on the sidelines has to say...there is no shame in realizing when you are defeated, and real warriors understand that. Only people who have never fought or risked their lives can question someones heart. life isnt a damn video game where you can just get a do over when you get hurt/killed...Im not mad at victor. live to fight another day.

I pretty much disagree with everyone's post on this subject in my Teddy Atlas voice behave like a fighter. Stop saying his life was on the the line cuz it wasn't he wasn't take a beating over them nine rounds. The obituary lair is a quitter plain and simple. This what boxing is all about sometimes u have to fight through things you never thought u could to get a win the great ones find a way.

gibola says:

I agree with most of the responses on here. It's clear Victor is only willing to take this boxing business so far and it's his right. He pays for it with losses and a career that will never hit the heights, but he should not be ridiculed for feeling pain and responding in the manner that he feels appropriate. Like all boxing fans I marvel at Marciano against Charles 1 and Joe Frazier in Manilla but not every fighter can be like that and if I was related to a fighter (a son for example) I would not want them to take it as far as a Frazier or Marciano. This is a wonderful sport, fighters should be prepared to fight as far as is reasonable for our entertainment but when they feel they have reached their limit, I'm fine with them stopping. The price Ortiz will pay is in dollars and an unfulfilled career, people will think twice about buying/watching his fights in the future, promoters/networks will be less keen to use him. The fighters who are willing to push the envelope will be most popular and get more opportunities. I may admire Joe Frazier more than Victor Ortiz in many ways, but I respect them both as men and as fighters. If Victor can live with his decisions then I certainly can as a fan.

@Undisputed..... the have confirmed that Ortiz broke his jaw in 2 places. The story is on ESPN. Hey...great story. That's got to be an uncomfortable memory.

well first off ortiz was not looking for a way out in this lopez fight... lopez was twirling and whipping ortiz all over the place, swinging him around in clinches, holding and hitting.
i think ortiz is not dirty but just foolish with emotion at times.
this was an exciting back and forth fight, ortiz did not give up or become discouraged, often when lopez landed razor combinations ortiz came back with something strong, he didnt wilt.
word from ortizs manager yesterday was that victor broke his jaw in the 5th round and it was broken again in the 9th round in a second place, with veins suffering laceration in his throat.
victor will always be a bit of a head case or have emotional problems, this is characteristic of a young man who comes from a troubled childhood, his was especially troubled as his parents bailed on him.

i know this first hand therefore i will not judge him but cut him some slack.
also, ortizs manager said yesterday in the hospital ortiz with a wired jaw wrote on a piece of paper for gbp to exercise his rematch clause...

McNabb broke ankle, Emmitt Smith separated shoulder, Jack Youngblood broken leg,

Sh*t while we at it let just stop all the fights win its a bad cut the person could lose his eye.

If a fighter breaks his hands they should just stop the fight because of long term affects.

Im surprised alot of you guys are ok with Ortiz quitting. SMH

Matthew says:

I'm a little torn on this one. Every boxer that has the courage to step in the ring and get punched for a living deserves respect. I've never set foot in a professional prize ring before, so I don't feel comfortable questioning a guy's heart, especially when Ortiz showed so much resolve against Berto. That being said, this is twice (maybe three times, if you think he looked for a way out against Mayweather) that Ortiz has quit when the heat got too hot in the kitchen. I don't know that I could have gone on with a broken jaw, but then again, boxers by nature are able to endure pain that we regular folks could never imagine. Maybe instead of clubbing Ortiz, we should use this fight to illustrate just how incredibly tough guys like Ali and Abraham were in continuing on despite their injuries. I think it's fair to say that Ortiz is a talented, but flawed, head case who is generally fun to watch and is usually in exciting fights. What do you guys think?

dino da vinci says:

Well, this guy thinks that your statement about fighters deserving respect is 1,000,000% accurate. The reality is we truly don't know how severe the injury was, and whether or not he was looking to quit several rounds earlier as pointed out to me by an individual who might just have the best opinion on the planet. Of course, severity of injury is different in every case, and I'd prefer to give Victor every benefit of the doubt, because 1) He's young. 2) He can crack. 3) He's de la Hoya good looking...thus bringing in the female vote. 4) His manager, Rolando Arellano, is a quote machine. 5) Did I mention he can crack? 6) His trainer, Robert Garcia, is a class act.

Much like Larry Merchant stated about Arturo Gatti, "enjoy him while he lasts" (or something to that effect), it may be applicable here as well. I initially felt this was going to negatively impact his career much like 'gibola' pointed out in this very thread. His name is certainly being bantered about, and this continued attention may actually end up working out just fine for him.

Matthew says:

I think he used to train with Robert Garcia (hence the perceived rivalry with Brandon Rios), but now trains with Robert's brother Danny Garcia.

dino da vinci says:

I believe you're right.

YUP! Every cat and his side rat are speaking righteously. VVO, first fought with little bro' Robert G, but big bro' stole him away. Matter of fact, homeless, teenager Victor Ortiz was brought to Cali by Rob G.

Big Bros been stealing syet since Cain tried to steal the glory from Abel, then stuck him dead with the arse bone of a jacka$$ when God Was Not Having any cheating and stealing and jive about giving an offering.

But once again, true warriors don't quit in a fight, especially if they are winning. VVO needed lil bro' Rob G, and VVO woulda, coulda, shoulda lasted those last two rounds and won that bout.

Big bro' Danny G, the O corner and da muthasuckas who made that mouthpiece da are culprits, PEOPLE! Get use to it.

Broken jaws come with the terrority of da game of boxing. And you don't QUIT and the corner doesn't let you know that you're damage. Trust ME or don't! It is not like I would care.

Supersmoothpugilisticscribe Ron B could easily put all doubters to shame by listing tons of pugilists who corners didn't stop __ ___ or let them quit. When it time to FIGHT, you FIGHT! I could get started. But I won't! There are too many jealous haters, faders and posers with weak athletic souls up in diz Universe who'd lose their d@mn minds for me "Tellin' it like it is!" Sometimes I just roll like my late, great mouthy goduncle, Howard Cosell. Yall don't know ___ ___ ___ ____ ___ about me!

Some fighters, who've suffered broken jaws, jive was so swollen that the corner couldn't get the mouthpieces out. But those fighters finished the fights. C'mon, MAN! You fighters and know-da-real-deal cats out there, SPIT! SPIT! SPIT! Don't let these believing cyberspace ____ ____ ____ _____ punk you into not telling our REALITY and ACTUALITY! There is no athlete like a true, hardnosed FIGHTA' -- amateur or pro. Holla!

@Und34, c'mon, MAN! If your arse get "touched up" by a real-deal boxer, you won't feel JACK! You felt this and that because of your fright factor. Your mind was playing tricks on you. Any boxer, worth his salt, shuts off the mind. The mind/brain has 100,000 thousand types of chemical going through it per second. And if you are use to gettin' fright, you'll always be ready to quit a fight. You did what you do as a human -- not strong, strange animals that boxers are, so please do me a BIG favor and not talk for US. Holla!

Oh, YUP, ind34, BTW, boxers go through fights all the times and don't even remember the fight or the day. [You have never being boxing hit, just bytch hit.] So if you have such a great ability to be remembering syet, you're not doing the stuff that is needed to be a true fighting WARRIOR in or outta da squared jungle. No courageous warrior is thinking about the possibilities of getting or being hurt while he is doing da do. It is all about puttin' on on the opposition. Da game is 75 percent mental, and even one percent concern about gettin' hurt while you are doing da do. [Did you see and hear VVO's conqueror?]

Besides, we boxers are so darn stupidsitition [sic] that we believe that if you think about gettin' hurt, hurt will easily find yo' sorry a$$. Holla!

SouthPaul says:

NICELY -- NOT, IMHO -- "Perfectly said SouthPaul." Nonetheless, you cannot "be dead for the rest of your life." I think that there is no darn life in being dead is it? But, then again, I ain't ever been dead as far as I know, so I don't know Jackspit about what is in being dead. But if my arse can come back or make contact with you, I've holla at cha.' Hahahaha!

LMAO, glad it sort of made sense. Years ago when I read that I knew then it was a keeper for life. Its the same logic in this song: If I Ever Leave This World Alive by Floggin' Molly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TamOrADrhwc

SouthPaul says:

[QUOTE=dino da vinci;17768]@SP: I give you my word, I've known many (many,many,many,many...) men (and some ladies) that, once that bell rang, they were going to win or die trying.
[/QUOTE]

4sho'!

Carmine Cas says:

If it's true that Ali wasn't aware of his fractured jaw, and later stated that he would of quit had he knew. And that Arthur Abraham got all kinds of breaks and special treatment during the Miranda fight than part of Borge's argument is flawed. Each event is subjective to the situation, you can't compare Ortiz to the other two. Yes this is boxing and yes it's imperative to have heart, but at the same time you have to take care of yourself...live to fight another day. At the end of the day it's your health, if he chooses to look out for his health so be it, he might lose respect in the boxing world but not to everyone else

SouthPaul says:

Ortiz' case is rock solid. A docs note to excuse 'em. If the wire in the jaw fits--- you must acquit. Quitter case dismissed. My alter egos name is Johnny SOCKhran. All fighters that need representation.... holla' at a nugga'.

undisputed34 says:

@ Radam...you my friend, are a funny individual indeed, who needs to learn how to read. I told my story to say in essence, that i have been cracked (by a professional boxer, a journeyman, but a professional all the same) and though i did not quit, had i been aware, i may have. My jaw was not broken in two places, nor did i need a mechanic to build me a new one. I fought on without anyone being the wiser because my training and muscle memory allowed me to do so. Every boxer who has some semblance of skill knows that you are supposed to feel some sense of apprehension or fear when you get in the ring. It makes you sharp. You just dont allow yourself to be controlled or frozen by that fear. Every boxer that has put in the work can tell you about at least one time when they were cracked so hard that the memory of it will never die. Its usually the punch that separates those who are playing from those who are serious. Maybe some of you here have had a simalar experience when first entering a boxing gym and declaring " i want to fight " to a trainer and they put you in on the first day with a skilled amatuer just to see where your heart is at. When i trained for each one of those activities, getting hurt or possibly killed was never far from my mind and it had nothing to do with being superstitious and everything to do with not slcking on my preparation or focus. Fighters come in all shapes and sizes, and i feel that opinions like assholes are usually full of sh*t..especially coming from those (like yourself) who are too eager to offer them.

The details of my story are irrelevant because i dont need validation of my heart...as an ex-police officer, ex-correctional officer, ex-soldier and ex-amatuer boxer, the opinions of a keyboard tapper (and not a very good one, might i add) with all these boxing delusions of granduer such as yourself, means less to me then snot, spit and dried blood thats been ground into the canvas of my gym.

And for the record, cain didnt kill abel with the jawbone of an ***...samson killed philistines using it. Dont be so quick to correct people or use references when you have absolutely no idea what youre talking about. You remind me of one of those guys you find in the gym who throws a towel over his shoulder, slaps some kids fists with the pads, has absolutely no idea what he's talking about and then calls himself a trainer...lol

undisputed34 says:

undisputed34 says:

@ ali...i for one, dont think its ok for him to quit nor do i think we should make any excuses for him, but though hes quit more than once, hes still young and i think its due more to him possibly needing a new trainer...one who can teach him how to balance his offense with better defense, thereby reducing his chances of getting hit cleanly and taking enough punishment to make him want to quit. To be fair, its not like he got hit with one or two punches before quitting both times...he took a good amount of punishment in both cases. A great trainer would take stock of the idiosyncracies of his fighter and while its not possible to make someones chin stronger, you can teach them how to control the situation or instances leading up to having it tested. You cant teach a fighter to have no quit in him, without giving him all the tools both physically and mentally,that are necessary for him to believe it...thats just my opinion though..

though i cant really classify the two by their skill sets, Roberto Duran, quit undermuch more suspect circumstances than this...he didnt have a scratch on him...after some time and showing what was truly in heart in later fights, duran was able to virtually wipe that stain away from his legacy. its entirely possible that given the chance and a few more performances like the one he had with berto, he could do the same.

Question..does anyone think of Israel Vazquez (who also quit on his stool vs JMM's baby brother ) as a quitter or a coward? And if the answer is no, then please tell me where is he now? I dont blame Ortiz for not wanting to go that route...

Und34, WRONG! WRONG! Cain did what I said. You Yanks make stuff up to fit with your nowadays cultural likes. Next you will tell me that Adam and Eve bit an apple. I read clearly what you posted and understood it. And writers write and fighters fight. And they do under all circumstances. We are closers not posers. And don't need to clutter and mutter. We just get on the true butter! Sorry that you are so hypersentitive with having your way with your belief system. But that is not how reality flows. Not even in cyberspace.

You don't know JACK about me. I'm the 100 percent complete REAL DEAL, not a touch of your "boxing delusions of granduer." You cyberspace toughies are amazing. More power to ya and yo' phoniness. With all this "ex"-jive, you oughta walk into a beehive. Life is passing you by. Holla!

dino da vinci says:

@ Radam...you my friend, are a funny individual indeed, who needs to learn how to read. I told my story to say in essence, that i have been cracked (by a professional boxer, a sparring partner for O'neil Bell and journeyman, but a professional all the same) and though i did not quit, had i been aware, i may have. My jaw was not broken in two places, nor did i need a mechanic to build me a new one. I fought on without anyone being the wiser because my training and muscle memory allowed me to do so. Every boxer who has some semblance of skill knows that you are supposed to feel some sense of apprehension or fear when you get in the ring. It makes you sharp. You just dont allow yourself to be controlled or frozen by that fear. Every boxer that has put in the work can tell you about at least one time when they were cracked so hard that the memory of it will never die. Its usually the punch that separates those who are playing from those who are serious. Maybe some of you here have had a similar experience when first entering a boxing gym and declaring [B]" i want to fight " to a trainer and they put you in on the first day with a skilled amatuer just to see where your heart is at. [/B]

The details of my story are irrelevant because i dont need validation of my heart...as an ex-police officer, ex-correctional officer, ex-soldier and ex-amatuer boxer, the opinions of a keyboard tapper (and not a very good one, might i add) with all these boxing delusions of granduer such as yourself, means less to me than the snot, spit and dried blood thats been ground into the canvas of the ring in my gym. When i trained for each one of those activities, getting hurt or possibly killed was never far from my mind and it had nothing to do with being superstitious or frightened and everything to do with not slacking on my preparation or focus. Fighters come in all shapes and sizes, and i feel that opinions like a****** are usually full of s***...especially coming from those (like yourself) who are too eager to offer them.

Great, great post.

What I highlighted strikes at the heart of cluelessness. If a young prospect finds himself subjected to this insanity, you're in the wrong building, or at least with the wrong trainer.

Someone looking to advance their skills should be allowed to receive proper instruction, master the basics, and then placed against the best the gym has to offer.
The best because hopefully the more experienced guy is smart enough to know to let the new fella get his feet wet without having to be abused in the process. And who knows, at some point maybe the new guy will develop far enough along to give the better guys good work in the gym. Trust me, there is always a shortage of talent in a gym. The reasons are obvious. The disparity in the size and weight of the fighters coupled with the skill level of each fighter. Being able to add any additional talent can make the difference from being an ordinary gym to being a good gym. There are so few VG-E gyms on the planet I could probably name them all in an hours time. Hopefully, we can add some new 'good' gyms.

Every fighter has fear that he turns on and off like FIRE! That jive "some sense of apprehension" is FRIGHT! And no boxer, worth his salt has THAT! FRIGHT is for gettin'-ready-to-make-excuses muthasuckas.

All GREAT, GOOD, DECENT and going-to-be-that boxers go into the squared jungle with FEAR, PERIOD! No "some sense of apprehension," aka FRIGHT is NOT needed or DESIRED. [FRIGHT immobilizes and paralizes one's arse. And if you ever get that, you don't and won't belong in da whup-arse sport of boksing.

Every fighter fear an a$$. That is why he will quickly whup one. That FEAR always surge into FIREEEEEE!] See, fear come all the time. Like when you took that driving test for the first time when you were 15 years old. You had a bit of FEAR at the start that transcended into FIREEEEE! All those 15-year-old kids, who HAD FRIGHT are now 30, 40, 50 and probably 60-something-year-old muthasuckas using public transportation, because of the wrong F word kept 'em from having the courage to learn to drive. Same with boxing. You have muthasuckas talking jive and tellin' about this and that in regards to the real-deal boxing killas and thrillas. If you didn't cut da mustard. Keep it to yourself.

Everything worth anything that you are gettin' ready to do, starts off with a bit of fear -- that is human sanity -- then as you are doing da do, it is FIREEEEEE! You will and can go INSANE like a muthamutha! And if somebody go upside your head that adrenaline is going be surging in every cell of your being and you're going to return da FIREEEEE in large douses, without being concern about pain or hurt or injury. [Maybe one has to be born with da tude to fight without fright, because the best always start with fear, or there will never be any FIREEEEEE!]

Boxers/fighters and even writers are strong, strange animals who don't dig silly propaganda or punkish weakness. And they will FIGHT and WRITE under all conditions. They don't BACK DOWN!

Trust ME! I know HOW and WHAT I read. And, ALSO, what I write.

WOW! And I always work dat last nerve of sensitive behinds and weakling.

FIGHTERS and WRITERS are BORN, not made. I'm stickin' with that belief. And we luv shakin' up da world! Because we are down with O-P-P! Yall know ME! Holla!

deepwater says:

its not the pain that makes you want to quit its the confusion and the mental breakdown which gets to you. i got cracked in the ribs and couldnt breath. when i got back to the corner I told the trainer to stop the fight i got a cracked rib. he slapped me in the face and said shut the f up you got more ribs. i didnt bail out and stayed in there and got the win. its not the pain, its your bodies reaction to the injury and if your not mentally strong you cant handle it. no one ever quit and cried and said it hurts. experience is the only thing that gets you ready for it.

With the right corner, the stronger gets STRONGER! The weaker lasts LONGER! And that is how we legit, straight-up with-cojones fighters and their cornerpeeps ROLL!

Later for any hater! Holla!

deepwater says:

[QUOTE=Radam G;17883]Preach and TEACH, Deepwater! PREACH and TEACH! Hehehehehe! Dat's what I'm spittin' about. You know straight up when a righteous, real pugilist, who been there and done that, is posting.

Later for any hater! Holla![/QUOTE]
you know it man

[QUOTE=deepwater;17875]its not the pain that makes you want to quit its the confusion and the mental breakdown which gets to you. i got cracked in the ribs and couldnt breath. when i got back to the corner I told the trainer to stop the fight i got a cracked rib. he slapped me in the face and said shut the f up you got more ribs. i didnt bail out and stayed in there and got the win. its not the pain,its your bodies reaction to the injury and if your not mentally strong you cant handle it. no one ever quit and cried and said it hurts. [B]experience is the only thing that gets you ready for it.[/[/B]QUOTE]

Tremendous posts Undesputed34, some serious discernment and insight. you and SP are moving up the P4P list in a major way.

Yep U34....The coaches at my gym threw me in with a guy who was going to the Olympics (1st alternate)
I was already 26yrs old and had never boxed.

He let me know who was the boss right away,.. but this wasn't Philly (like Dino said,.. gyms need bodies who can give their prospects some work),.. he'd let me hang around during the sparrinig sessions and get my rounds in.
But whenever I tried to take me charge... he'd make me pay.

Once with a dislocated rib, another time with a dislocated jaw. I had to take a couple of weeks off for each injury to heal. That happened about 4 weeks apart.

each time when I recovered and came back to the gym,...He'd pull me aside and say " if you see an opening to get me back.. you'd better take it"
that's when I realized boxing wasn't a game....Best advise I ever had.... nothing was ever personal in our gym. just business.

As I improved and got more resourceful......I learned that I had to keep charging forward, as much as possible, in an effort to keep driving him back. That way he couldn't hit me nearly as hard or often while moving backwards.
He enjoyed me pushing him physically and the challenge of thwarting my attacks, and capitolizing on my errors..... and I enjoyed not getting beat up every day.
**********************************************************************************************************************************************

Well said Deepwater... it's admirable you were able to fight through the pain...although I don't think your experience directly applies to Ortiz. (or if that's what you were trying to say)

But it's so true ...... once a boxers' adrenalin get pumping there is no pain..
Personally instead of pain, I felt an electrical burst, that radiated outward from the point of contact. Sapping precious energy and movement untill the body recovered while hoping my opponent didn't know where he hurt me. (or how much)
It's like there was no flesh, just bone against bone and the pure electrical energy of the nervous system.

When the nervous system falters from the impact of a good punch.. the opponent can feel your vunerabilty and like you said a fighter has to go through it, Only then can they eventually learn the "work-around".

Everyone who is talking about what they would do if they had Ortiz's injury, has no clue unless they have experience it themselves.
I don't know how many bones fragments can occur in a human jawbone,.. but there has to be a limit to how many pieces can be grafted and screwed back together if not rebuilt entirely and still function like new.

I think Ortiz saved himself a boatload of regret by quitting when he did.
When I saw Ortiz whispering in his trainers ear in the 7th round...and Garcia whispering back.
it was evident then he already knew the handwriting was on the wall. And he tried to perservere.

I'm glad he made the decision that will allow him to come back another day.
Vitali K made that decison(to quit because of an injury) against Byrd (and the majority of fans called him a coward)... If he hadn't made that decision he may not be at the top of the heavyweight division today.

I remember that fight like it was yesterday. the keyboard tappers were saying that Vitali was so big and Bryd was so small, why didn't the big Ukranian just box him with one hand???
It's just a dislocated shoulder for Chrissakes. Surely all he had to do was finish on his feet to win? Right?

VK being an educated man,.. knew the risks of exacerbating the injury further and came back even better.

"SMH" ...... Making the wrong move at the wrong time can end a boxers career.

undisputed34 says:

@ Dino... Thanks, bro...well that was my baptism into the first boxing gym I ever visited, and how I got my start and passion for the sweetness...I don't remember the guys name but he didn't really try to hurt me...he moreso embarrassed me by standing right in front of me and making me whiff until I got tired. After that, he had his way with me by letting me know he could touch me whenever he felt like it. Since then, I've learned so much about what a trainer shouldn't do to a kid/guy fresh off the street, but like you said there are only a handful of really good gyms and guys that care enough to invest their time and attention in someone enough to see beyond a potential dollar sign later on. One thing I can say was a positive for me though, was that it showed me who I really was in that, though I was no match for the guy, I learned that I wouldn't fold under pressure and that lesson is one that I've benefitted from in every aspect of my life..

@ deepwater...first off I commend you, bro...way to stay the course and get that victory. And you're right...each fighter has to take stock of himself during times of duress and decide how he's going to respond..But it's impossible to say that everyone can or should be able to deal with pain the same way. If not for your coach you would have quit. So was it your heart and tenacity that kept you going or was it the psychological machinations of A good coach which saw you through? I mean that rhetorically... I remember getting my nose broken during a match in the all army box offs in 2009...when it happened, in truth I heard it more than I felt it and I didn't think it was a big deal. Until the very next jab he touched me with felt like I got stabbed in the face with a lightening bolt. The ref stopped it because it wouldn't stop bleeding but I can tell you that the only reason I didn't quit was because my entire unit was there. I earned much respect because externally I looked like a didn't bother me at all...I felt somewhat ashamed at the time, because I know that had the stadium been empty with no one but me the other guy and the ref...I probably would have quit. Some might think that's weak. But the thing that makes this science so sweet is the lessons we learn while fighting against the only true opponent there is: ourselves.

undisputed34 says:

under 190 with the right motivation. Now i dont know how old you are or what type of shape you're in, ( forgive me if you're old enough to be a grandfather ) But im on the East Coast in North Carolina. If you ever find yourself in my neck of the woods, you should look me up. No tough talk, no big words...but you seem to be the type that needs a special type of convincing and it would be my everlasting pleasure to indulge you. Then, if you choose to, you can feel free to question my heart, ability or knowledge about the game to your hearts content. You can even blog about the experience right here in the wonderful TSS universe. I hope this wasn't too sensitive response for you...lol...

Wow! You are wacky than I thought, 666! Let it GO! It was just another LUV TKO! Quit spinning yo' noggin around and vomiting and shouting cuss words and __ ____! I'm in my 30s too, sucka! But I'm a CHAMPION'S CHAMPION and don't have time for a cyberspace ___ ___ ____ ___! WHAT! WHAT! I got your T up. Just move along, and don't read my posts. Besides there are plenty of people in North Carolina in da hurt bitnezz that will tell you that you don't want any PART of a REAL MAN or PUGILIST with skills to pay da bills and can conquer all mountains and hills. That is the way Radam G rolls.

Quit being an offended Buffalo Soldier, and develop some cojones of a full-grown man and let it GO! If Radam G's sarcasm and hyperbolicism can cause you some much hurt, you may as well have on a skirt. Hehehehe! And I engage not in battle with women or ones that are probably trapped in a man's anatomy. Holla!

You know since this dude is acting so girlish, and I don't fight born girls, or girls trapped in bodies of 6-foot-1, 215lbs dudes, or just are a bit sweet and bytch and cry like they have a lot of sugar in their tanks. But I do have a 13-year-old girl cousin, who just won the World Junior Olympic gold medal, she'll fight/spar with a girlish 6-foot-1, 215lbs dude in a nanosec. And, of all places, she is presently in Cherry Hill, N.C. visiting with relatives, who now reside in North Carolina. What a small WORLD. Pinoys are EVERYWHERE!

The angry cyberspace creampuff Disputed666 can holla at her on any day through the summer. She'll KAYO him, and she's four-foot-ten and 90 pounds. Sizes don't mean JACK or JILL to ___ ____ who knows how to KILL! Killa instinct, babeee! Not some crybabying on your ragged cyberspace ship. You got da vapors. And that is making you quite delusional. Holla!

I'll take UD34 over Radam by....UD of course. Radam was been a little unhinged since his beloved Manny lost to Tim freakin Bradley. Maybe we can send the TSS moble unit over to check on him. I'd go but we are in final edits are underway for the film and my band Hot Dog Breath is recording some tunes for the soundtrack. Such a gratifying project. Get well soon Radam.

SouthPaul says:

Lmao. Truthfully, I can get down with defending any one fighter to the fullest like that. I mean, it's not like we're on the payroll. Get ourselves all hot and bothered and put our lack of ration on display, for what? I'm all about equal opportunity. I'll switch my love and hate up on a sucka' real quick when he's earned it.

I'm don't know what you are talking about, the Roast. UD34, 666, or whatever his handle is, has issues, PERIOD! Hehehehe! I don't know JACK about Da Manny lost to "Tim freakin Bradley." Did you see something that I MISSED? But, anyway, because of that cheat, my G-Force family stands to make billions in the next few years. You need to catch up with the TECH time. Just like Pinoy TIME! Asian TIME! My lad.

Corrupted judges are on their way OUT. PunchForce and weak Punch-Tech are replacing those cheats. Humans and made-up gods are fun of syet. It is next for technology to honest up this seedy, crooked, corrupted game. This is why UD34 is all hypersensitive, full of bullsyetology and all up in my grill. Dude wanna and like to control syet. YUP!

By his own spit, he's an EX amateur boxer, and EX army man, and EX cop. Danggit! Dude is a lot of EX this and that jive. What is he? Da EX factor! Hehehehe! Or maybe just an EX man. Hahahaha! He's acting kind of girlish. I just wish that he would EX his arse outta my grill, and go somewhere else to get a thrill. Dude couldn't climb a moehill. And he better not fall on an ant hill. Those ants would put it on the EX this and that. [See I know what time it is. I know when a jivesucka is trying snow job me. There is no need to holla at me about all his EX stuff. And I'm somebody, who he doesn't ever want to be across from in anything. I've already got the name of some jive turkeys claiming to be ex amateur boxing and is that they are present LIARS! LIARS! Their pants are on FIREEEEEE! See, in any level of amateur boxing that one participated in, he/she had to register. And there is a site that shows every Yank registered boxer in the last 58 years. Cyberspace faders, fakers, vaporers, phonies, busters, fibbers and ___ ___ ____ ___ don't know jacksyet about zoom techology will exposed them.

As I told the cyberspace creampuff, there are women and girls in my fam and in the game that would put him to SLEEP. And if he is too slow and offended to understand or dig my sarcastic, hyperbolic and facetious comments and retorts to a rude arse, he should never READ what I post. Then he would not have to get hotheaded with juvenile callouts and go straight-up poser delight with his __ __ ___ ___! You'd give him a UD, Marvelous One -- I mean the Roast. Hehehehe! Some people just can't pay for a win. But I'm never thinking about moving to Italy. Hehehe! Holla!

TotoyBato says:

dino da vinci says:

[QUOTE=TotoyBato;17931]The author is RIGHT. Ortiz always looked for a way out and he is a QUITTER. There's no room for that kind in Prizefighting. It's a savage sport. If you can't take it go try someting else like figure skating or bowling.[/QUOTE]

OK, almost the same intensity.

SouthPaul says:

I think Totoybato should look for a way out of being a boxing fan and go watch some snuff videos. Maybe that'll satisfy your need for savagery.

[QUOTE=dino da vinci;17932]Hey, hey, hey! Go easy with the bowling belittling Laugh if you want. Wanted to be a pro bowler when I was a kid. Johnny Petraglia, Carmen Salvino, Buzz Fazio, Earl Anthony...I rooted for some of these guys with the same intensity as I rooted for Ali.

OK, almost the same intensity.[/QUOTE]

I remember Earl Anthony and those guys from Wide World of Sports. Watched them while waiting for the fight to start. I geuss everything from yesteryear isnt better than today. At least today we get an undercard fight.

Radam, you know I'm just F-ing with you. The Roast cant read all of these long posts all the way through. I have a very short attention span you know. I never even saw the whole Pac-Bradley fight. Like Real Talk I fell asleep during the replay. Not the saw when you know it is going the distance. I enjoy the posts of Radam G and UD34, as long as they're not too long.

undisputed34 says:

Just like i thought...all mouth. Just keeping it light with you, Radam...you seem to be the one having an emotional moment. You claim some type of pedigree so since you questioned mine, i was giving you the opportunity to back it up. No need for all the hooting and hollering. This is a site for people who love fighting...presumably have a fighting spirit and actually fight themselves. I just figured you were one of them. No hard feelings, my man. But thats what fighters do where i am from. When their hearts, abilities or opinions are questioned, we offer the opportunity to settle the matter in a friendly way or agree to disagree. Since you're not interested in the first option, then i guess we go with the second one. And to be honest, I dont really read your posts as much as you seem to read mine. Dont call my name if you dont want me to answer.

@ SouthPaul, i dont know if you were referring to me, but im really just sticking up for my opinion more than i am for Ortiz. Like you said, he isnt paying me so im neither here nor there, but Radam talks too much and this isnt the first time he's taken issue with something Ive said. If people dont agree with me...fine. All those subliminal jabs and not so subliminal snide remarks though, won't fly with me. I keep my opinions rooted in fact and the issue at hand but we all have different perspectives. Like i said, thats why i come here. After this comment, ill let him get the last word in if he chooses to do so because im not interested in verbal sparring when there's plenty of opportunity to do the real thing. To end this matter since the fight is now in the rear view, i like what one of the writers said on another post " There's a difference between being hurt and injured ".

@ The Roast...LOL thats funny bro and i appreciate the vote of confidence but i have to disagree...the UD is short for UNDISPUTED and with the unpredictability of the judges these days...Well i have to leave the chump on his rump..TKO6. Lighten up, Radam. Don't be the Malinaggi of this site. People might stop taking you seriously lol..

TotoyBato says:

SouthPaul says:

That's pretty funny. Lmao but ummmmmmmm... Tell me ...by your laws and standards when is it ok for a fighter to call it a night? Injury wise, name a few a fighter is ok to call it quits on?

SouthPaul says:

[B]undisputed34[/B]

No one in particular. Just saying. We all been there as fans. Maybe. Lol. Seriously, yea, it's all good. Be you.

HAHAHHAHAHA! C'mon, 666 dude. You don't have the make up for toughness. Get over it! It's all right to be a cyberspace creampuff. Everybody and dey momma cannot be ruff and tuff.

Just look at your boy, Commissary Lil' Floyd JunJun. Dude is now suffering from some serious phobias. Jive is so serious that his playmate Curtis Jackson, aka Fifty Cent had a mental breakdown that caused him a wreck while driving and hullucinating about how much that he is missing his ___ ___ sidekick.

That's what I thought. Noise blowers like you and them, need to grow a pair. And life is not fare. You don't run JACK. You can't get JILL. Weaklings can even climb a moehill. My last respond and retort to a toughy, calling out people, who could ___ ____ him, cyberspace ___ ___! Hehehehe! You know me. I'm down with O-P-P! Holla!

TotoyBato says:

dino da vinci says:

[QUOTE=TotoyBato;17943]@Dino & Paul, I meant for Ortiz to quit boxing. But y'all are welcome to watch Victor quit when he faces a 7-10 split or fails to stick a triple axel [/QUOTE]

Good stuff!

[QUOTE=TotoyBato;17971]Ready to die in the ring and ready to kill in the ring. Griffith-Paret, Mancini-Kim, Jones-Scottland, Chavez-Nazareth. There are systems (the referee, ring doctor, his corner, the matchmakers) in place to ensure a fighter's safety. The fighter's job is to fight. The participants in the sport know what is expected. It's not false bravado. it's the resolve to win. Ortiz has all the talent but lacks resolve. Ortiz showed up to box Lopez. Lopez showed up to beat Ortiz. Lopez was ready.[/QUOTE]

2 man enter..... 1 man leave,... only after the apocolypse.

jesster64 says:

First of all, I wish ortiz nothing but the best. Saying that, I will never pay to see him fight again. Using his head against mayweather was the first strike, laughing after he got counted out was his second strike, quitting on his stool was his third strike. I've never had to fight with a broken jaw so i don't know how much pain he was in. Golota quit vs tyson because of a broken jaw. But wanting to win has to come from within. Bradley didn't quit when he hurt his ankle vs pac. Ray mercer didn't quit vs bert cooper when his jaw looked like it sprouted a watermelon. Gatti couldn't see but he didn't quit. I don't blame any fighter for stopping if he is risking his life or long term health, but a broken jaw is painful, not life threatening. He chose boxing as a career, broken noses, black eyes, and busted jaws come with the territory. Its not pretty, but he was ahead in the fight when he quit. There comes a point where I don't blame a fighter or corner for stopping unnescessary damage. Margarito was finished and had no chance of winning vs pac and still his corner refused to throw in the towel, but ortiz, he was winning. Now you have to wonder if the last 2 fights are in his head and how will it affect him. physically, he can bang with anyone, mentally, I think he's done.

malbonmalbon says:

gdcfgvsggigidsf
Watch here Portugal vs Spain Live Stream Online Euro Cup 2012 27 June, 2012. Portugal vs Spain Live Stream Online will held on 18:45 GMT, 27 June, 2012. All Soccer supporters, don't miss to watch this game live on LIVE SPORTS TV.

[url]http://livesopcast.com/euro2012.html

MATCH DETAILS
Date: 27 June, 2012
Time: 18:45 GMT
Competition: Euro Cup 2012
Live/Repeat: Live

[url]http://livesopcast.com/euro2012.html

You can easily find live match here don't waste your time watch and enjoy all live soccer match. Here is live streaming link Portugal vs Spain HD online Euro Cup 2012 live broadcast.