Andre Berto Tests Positive For Steroid

BY Michael Woods ON May 18, 2012

BertoPreparesForOrtizII Blevins6Andre Berto, the ex welterweight champion and current Florida resident, has tested positive for a banned substance, which means his June 23 rematch with Victor Ortiz will likely be cancelled. This is the second high profile PED case to hit boxing in ten days, right on the heels of Lamont Peterson's positive test for testosterone which cancelled his Saturday rematch with Amir Khan.

Berto, age 28, has a 28-1 record, with 22 KOs; that lone blemish came at the hands of Ortiz. They tangled in a thriller back in April 2011. Berto hit the deck in the first and sixth rounds, Ortiz hit the mat in the second and sixth, as well. The California boxer snagged a UD12 in the first scrap. They'd signed to meet on Feb. 11 but Berto had to postpone that re-do after he tore a bicep in training.

Golden Boy's Richard Schaefer, the co-promoter of the rematch, told ESPN's Dan Rafael that he got word on Saturday that Berto's 'A' test was flagged, and then his 'B' test also came up dirty. He was told of that result on Friday.

The prohibited substance was norandrosterone, according to Victor Conte, the ex Balco chief who has been working as a consultant with the ex champ in the last year. He advised Berto on what supplements he should be taking, and on training and rest procedures. Conte has been quite vocal of late that the sport is full of PED users, and needs heavy-duty testing to clean up its act.

"Andre Berto's positive test for nandrolone has absolutely nothing to do with me or any supplements I provided," Conte Tweeted. "Likely trace contamination. Andre has admitted to taking supplements other than what I provided without my knowledge. Apparently, something was contaminated."

Conte wrote that he encouraged Berto to enroll in the testing process overseen by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA), and that this proves VADA is a trustworthy entity.

Conte clearly believes that Berto used a shady supplement which was tainted with nandrolone. "Nandrolone is the longest lasting steroid known to man," he wrote. "No athlete would ever use it with intent to cheat." He also seemed to be distancing himself from the boxer, to an extent, in order to communicate that he is no longer dispensing illegal chemical to athletes to aid their performance. "Sometimes you can't protect people from themselves. I have advised boxers not to take different supplements, but they don't always listen."

There is more than a tinge of irony in the Berto positive, considering the boxer insinuated after his loss to Berto that Ortiz cheated. After the loss, he Tweeted: "Let me clear the air now!! Your right there is a reason why Ortiz had so much energy, a reason he could take my heavy shots and keep ticking. N there is a reason why he came into the ring 165 pounds. I know people close to him and his camp and I know exactly we he was taking. it wasn't Flintstone vitamins!! But it is what it is I should of beat him anyways but it wasn't me that night. Ortiz wasn't him either lol."

Berto did put out a statement, which I saw on Boxing Scene. It read: “At the present time, I cannot explain the positive drug test, which was provided as part of a voluntary anti-doping program in which I agreed to participate. I know that I have never used any steroids or other banned substances, and I am investigating all possible causes of the positive test with my attorney Howard Jacobs. I have never cheated, and all of my success has come from hard work and dedication.”

It feels to me like boxing is in its infant stage in this steroid/PED sphere. Of course, we should allow the case and the story to play out, and try not to rush to judgment. Peterson, for instance, maintains that a physician determined that his natural testosterone was low, as low as an 80 year old man, which is why, he said, he took supplmements. Why he didn't inform the pertinent authorities that he was doing so in advance is not clear to me, but anyway...In the future, would it not make sense for anyone using an out-of-the-mainstream supplement to in fact get it tested in a lab prior to ingestion, so as to eliminate a stray positive, such as what Conte says occured in this case? Stay tuned for the continuing saga.

ultimoshogun says:

As a boxing fan this really sucks, but hopefully this dark cloud is for the greater good of the sport. This is exactly why I had Floyd's back when many were accusing him of ducking Manny for demanding random testing....Peterson and Berto are good examples that you just never know who's really cheating. Obviously these two were confident they would pass the test.

Unbelievable!!! But I ain't surprised he fu*ks with Victor Conte. Now im worried about my boi Donaire testing positive for roids cuz he fu*ks with him too. I hope he decides to cut him loose all together before he gets caught up like like Peterson & Berto.

Ultimoshogun I really hope Manny does the right thing and start to push for cleaning up the sport. From here on out he should have Olympic style testing to prove what he's accomplished is from his natural ability and hard work.

Money Jay says:

First the fat boys break up..now this? Dang Berto....Floyd looking like he was justified to demand random tests...all these dirty mofo's in the sport..this is crazy.

dino da vinci says:

The Fat Boys broke up? The Fat Boys of, ...The Fat Boys are Back, heh heh, heh, heh...heheh...fame. Too bad. I liked there hit back in the eighties. Floyd is suddenly looking like he had more insight than most could have imagined. He must 'hear' things.

dino da vinci says:

Ultimateshogun, you are right that "Peterson and Berto are good examples that you just never know who's really cheating." It is now equally true that those who accuse and demand testing are just as often those who are found using.

These guys are getting caught and they aren't with the old systems which frankly speaks pretty well of the testing that is in place. It speaks poorly of the fighters caught but one can't say the system isn't working.

Last point. Floyd's tests are Floyd's tests. They are NOT Olympic style ALL YEAR ROUND testing. Not he nor any other boxer has withstood that kind of scrutiny as a professional. My guess is that that system would flat out flush out virtually evryone in the game; his majesty included.

It is a tough game and training, recovering, building strength ad muscle all year round, then cutting weight then regaining it...and fighting....is a insane cycle. I believ everyone is has used, is using, or on something some of the time, lest it be impossible to compete.

Just to be clear, I mean everyone

I don't agree with this last statement at all. Jokes aside, I'm in the gym every day.
So many of these guys are, at best, fringe contenders trying to get by day to day. They don't have bus fare, let alone money for supplements, PED's, etc. I believe boxing, taken as a whole, is the sport with the lowest percentage of offenders. Just to be clear, I mean LOWEST.

dino da vinci says:

Fe'Roz, I've always respected your insight, but I do feel you may be leaning the wrong way on this topic. At least that's how I'm rooting.

Grimm says:

Sad to say, I think Fe'Roz may be right.

HeNeverSawTheHookComing says:

Are you guy's that surprised? Really, Barry Bonds one greatest players to ever play, Ben Johnson, Mark Mcguire, Vargas, Mosley, ect, ect, and ect. Riches and Fame will make people do stupid ***t. Also will you guy's finally admit that a guy who is struggling to knock guy's out in lower weight classes then he moves up in weight and starts to startch guy's? Just Saying!

HeNeverSawTheHookComing says:

i wouldnt say that everyone is on something illegal. not everyone has the financial and medical means to do so, therefore you will see those who have more money and connections to have that opportunity.

berto testing positive does not surprise me, he has always been classless accusing ortiz of using after he got his *** handed to him. now we know why, he was

juicing and couldnt figure out how he got beat.

Don't get crazy, guys. Steroids are in all of our systems. It all depends on the type and level of that jive that gets you into trouble. So Kuya Fe'Roz is ditto about all athletes having used. But also, except for in the far-away province, up on the mountains and the backwoods of the world, all of the world has used steroids. That jive is even all up in the baby's formula. All up in the super-great-grand moms' and pops' medication and denture cleaning fluid.

I honest believe that all of us -- except my Uncle Mamoy -- are some steroid-using muthasuckas by proxy. See Tio Mamoy won't take or eat anything that he did not plant, grow, raise and/or got himself. He's one paranoid __ ___ ___! He fudging kayoed a hawk and an eagle one time, because they flew off from their living spots and came back a couple of days later looking pumped-up like Atlas. Tio Mamoy spotted them flying in and went: KaPOW! KaBANG! KaZUNT! They were out like Money May will be, if he ever enters that squared jungle to square off against Da Manny.

I be teasing Tio Mamoy about the grim reaper coming for his old 109-year-old arse and, of course, he tells me to fudge off before he kicks my arse. And I shut straight da double fudge up too. Anyway, enough of that.

Boxing is corrupted BIG business -- anyway you slice and dice it. So the powers that be should just make another corrupted alphabet organization for hardcore steroid users and let 'em fight it out. Fudge it! Let those bytches fight it out even to the death. Winner takes all.

I've said this tons of times. I will say it again. That jive-turkey monkey-syet does not WORK! A correct [or even a great bootlegged] skilled and/or talented pugilist would and does kick da holy hebejeebeez outta hardcore steroid users everyday of the week and 15 times on the weekends. That dumb syet cannot help a boxer any more than it could help Cristo Columbo discover America. WTF!

Vicious Victor Ortiz kicked steroid-using Berto's arse, and was going to kick it again. And steroids never did Fernando Vargas any favorites. Good pugilists, as Tito Trinidad would just fudge him up right through those roids. Steroids didn't help the late, good, Ron Lyle back in the day against [GOAT] Muhammad Ali or [Rev.] Big George Foreman. They still got him outta there. OH, YUP! Steroids usage in boxing has been going on for a long, long while. The users' performance have never improved with steroid usages. Holla!

I'm not so cynical as to believe everybody is using,...guys like Mayweather are so technically brilliant they can lose 25 -35% of their youthfulness and natural ability yet still outclass the rest of the field...... but I do respect everyones opinion... no doubt the rabbit whole goes much deeper and farther than we first ever imagined.

The fact that both Berto and Peterson clammored so heavily for drug testing and never told the commission they were using testosterone (in Petersons case) leads me to believe he was calling the rest of field "cheaters" in order to take the heat off his own clandestine endeavors. very devious indeed.

Even if Peterson has a documentable medical reason to take the stuff, there should have been full disclosure to prevent this type of backlash.

Berto on the other hand injested a known banned subtance used specifically for cheating.

Dumbest thing I ever heard of after pretending to champion the cause of instituting more rigorous drug testing protocols.

I'm not suprised that some of the most ripped boxers in the business are testing positive.

Look at peterson,.. he looks like one of those anatomically correct plastic medical statuettes that show every single wiry strand of musculature under the skin (like he has zero % body fat)... and Berto looks like a junior class professional body builder.

Hard work and dedication indeed!

Steroids do make a difference because it enables boxers to gain muscle mass without working for it.

A guy taking testosterone can grow muscle faster sitting on his couch watching soap operas faster than a guy who puts in 5hours a day at the gym.

If that's not the very definition of cheating then I don't know what is.

Doping may not increase talent but it does give an unfair physical advantage
coupled with increased aggressive tendancies that can be the tipping point on the scorecards.

Muscle does matter,... Look at Seth Mitchells victory over Chazz Witherspoon,.. a fight where a former football player with 20 amatuer fights and a couple years of pro experience crushes a fighter whose been boxing his whole life.

Whatever you believe was the motivation behind Floyds drug testing demands....it's become a proven fact that boxing commissions need to advance to the 22nd century and begin devising better drug testing protocols to uproot and cast-out the cheaters.

This isn't professional wrestling where outcomes are predetermined beforehand.
and the bloodletter is prescripted.... lives are on the line.

on a non-related note... here we have Berto and Peterson who were really beginning to thrive on many levels before the drug tests and just last week former junior welterweight Kotelnik was basically forced into retirement after not being able to secure a fight after 2 years under the promotional banner of Don King..

It's a shame because Kotelnik was a tough out for anybody and if he were still here today he would be perfect to fill in the holes left behind by Berto and Peterson.

Just for the record, B-Sug. Chazz -- the second cousin of Tim Witherspoon -- started boxing at 19 years old. So he has not been close to boxing all of his life. Wow! If it were true, he'd be one sorry bytch who did need to ever follow his second cousin into that squared jungle. Holla!

Grimm says:

Doping may not increase talent but it does give an unfair physical advantage

No, B-Sug, it doesn't - you still have to work hard as hell, but the reward comes faster and plentier.

And while the physical advantage is a factor among the behemoths, in the form of mass which gives you X extra pounds of muscles, I dispute its relevance in the lighter classes as long as the fighter on steroids is up against a better boxer. You may or may not cut the gap, but in essence, a better boxer is a better boxer is a better boxer. (Which you pretty much stated, I know)

For a fighter, the benefit comes in three ways. Firstly, you manage a greater amount of hard training. Secondly, you feel stronger when hustling around your opponent on the inside. Thirdly, you can quickly adapt to a new, heavier weight class. Period. The price for training more and harder than you normally can do, is for example thorn muscles...which we've seen some examples of both here and there.

And on a entirely different note - I just turned off my TV after watching Mikkel Kessler annihilate Allan Green with a vicious left hook to the temple in round 4 in Copenhagen, Denmark. There was, for a while, silence, as everyone waited for Allan to show some life. He got up, but looked pretty dazed as Kessler celebrated his new green silverbelt.

steroids also allow an athlete to recover quicker and enable him to progress more and get more work in due to less rest required.

also, they allow a person to have increased stamina, the muscles are in better shape and are able to perform more efficiently and for longer durations, something to do with the VO2 max.

so you can see how peterson was capable of continuing to come forward with continued aggression and pressure without tiring out.

Thanks RG for the correction,.. Still Chazz has been "around" boxing all his life (due to his family connections) and placed high at the national amateur level (2003 and 2004) years before Mitchell started boxing. Chazz still had at least 7 years experience on Mitchell.

Thanks for the contribution Grim,... (you TSS guys don't leave a stone unturned). However raw testosterone is one of the most powerful hormones in existence. The use of it will create changes in the human body without any extra help from the User.

Testosterone will give a woman a deep voice... shrink her breasts and cause her to grow facial hair...while eliminating her body fat and increasing her muscle mass. No bycyle machine needed.

For men Exercise increases the body's natural output of testosterone... the harder the workout,.. the more testoserone is created.

But when men are given a supplimental source of testosterone,..it's been medically proven to to increase muscle mass by increasing the amount of muscle protein synthesis in the body. This will lead to both the increase in fat-free muscle mass and muscle size. all without the benefit of a workout.

I've always thought the inspiration for the book "Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde" was some guy with an overbalance of testosterone.

If someone works out while taking supplimental testosterone,.... the benefits are that much more sensational.

A year or two ago there was a Jamiacan runner who was banned from some races because her testosterone levels were so high,.. even though she had a womans anatomy,.. she was practically a man... looked like a man and was built-up with the same muscle mass as a man.

Read more:
[URL="http://www.ehow.com/about_5173145_testosterone-muscle-growth_.html#ixzz1vMnq9jmU">How Does Testosterone Help Muscle Growth? | eHow.com[URL="http://www.ehow.com/about_5173145_testosterone-muscle-growth_.html#ixzz1vMnq9jmU">http://www.ehow.com/about_5173145_testosterone-muscle-growth_.html#ixzz1vMnq9jmU

undisputed34 says:

I don't believe there is anything wrong with using things that are not considered illegal if you are rehabbing from an injury/to promote rehab. As long as it isn't used anywhere remotely near the time to perform at your actual sport. Most professional athletes spend less than a third (depending in the sport) of their careers actually performing at 100%. People are usually getting it done at about 75-80% especially once you've been doing anything consistently for 5 or more years...just my opinion...

Grimm says:

Read more:

My back to the ropes, hands high, ref asks: You had enough, son? I nod, knowing when beaten - but as Hearns once stated: "I shall return." Good point, there.

B-Sug, you are right! But what is experience? It is not just time being there. Chazz is a lazy chump, who should stayed in basketball. Holla!

Und34, you are 100 percent correct. BTW, if they are using steroids for an injury that need steroids "for rehabbing," they are in the clear, as long as they note the usage to the powers that be. Lamont Peterson didn't do this, because he was straight-up cheating and thought that steroids shot up the a$$ would be hidden by feces. These muthasuckas are not the nowadays educated-to-da-max pugilists. They'd believe any jive from a con-arts/quack! Holla!

@B-Sug, you would be talking about the South African lady tracksters that was banned, but reinstated? They tried to claim that she had a sex change to keep her out. But, than again, her steroids were naturally high for a dame. Holla!

@Grimm, just so that you will know, you don't need big muscles or a lot of them to box. The greatest kayo punchers in the game tend to be wirey and skinny as heck. The "Old Mongoose" Archie Moore has the record for more knockouts, but he is the exception to the rule, not the rule. Besides, he got a lot of he kayos when he was a skinny-arse middleweight beginning ducked by equally skinny-arse Sugar Ray Robinson. The killers of the game, were/are the SRR, Sandy Saddler, Tommy Hearns types. Holla!

RG, yes that's the one... it was an incredible story. a woman who produced so much natural testosterone in her body she wasn't allowed to compete with the girls. Once I got a look at her I could see why. with clothes on she could pass for a dude. If my daughter was on the track team, I would have been the first to complain (who let this dude on the team)....lol.... Strange but True.

well Maybe Mitchell/Witherspoon wasn't the best example I could have come up with. but strength in any form is a hell of an advantage, the trick is being able to land a punch.

undisputed34 says:

@ B-Sug...I remember that story...if my memory serves me correctly the big issue with the Jamaica track star was that she was actually a hermaphrodite...she had a males reproductive system sans the penis...she was for all intents a woman on the outside but she failed to bring it to the attention of officials...she didn't cheat, but she showed questionable judgement in not telling officials...

@ Radam...did you just agree with me??? Are you feeling ill??? Just joking with you bro... Lol...

undisputed34 says:

The Good Doctor says:

Berto is either incredibly dumb or really made a huge mistake. The reason I say that is because the steroid that Berto tested for has been banned for more than 30 years in professional sports. In addition, this stuff was synthesized in the 50's so everyone in around professional sports knows quite a bit about it. It also is one of the easiest to detect steroids as well. I hope that he didn't take this stuff with the mindset of not being caught.

dino da vinci says:

Real interesting. Did you mean to say, 'I hope that he didn't take this stuff with the mindset of being caught'. Which of course opens up a whole new chapter.

Real Talk says:

How does TSSU feel about random blood and urine now? Floyd blew the lid and pulled the covers off this dirty lil secret for the world to see. As a fight fan I'm torn, half like damn...2 big fights I was looking forward to down the crapper, other half like this may save lives or at least give a couple fighter a better functional quality of life after their ring days are gone. New Era. Dueces

Real Talk says:

Heck NO! I didn't agree with you, und34, you probably just sublimically stole my syet. Hehehehe! You know me! I'm down with O-P-P.

BTW, the lady was from South Africa, not Jamaica. The "hermaphrodite" that you are talking about is another story. And there is also a piece about a girl, who got a sex change. But the International Olympic Committee has straighten out everything. Now, the committee simply goes by if the [hermaphrodite or high-level of BIG T femalie] was reared as a girl, then she is a girl. [The sex-change one is not yet allowed to compete.] Thus, either dame can be in the O Games as a girl.

BTW, the South African damsel has lost her last few races. She gave up her virginity. This caused the female to kick into her. She is now womanish like a muthaFOX! She got T & A all over the place. She will probably end being a ho. Hehehe! Every dude and his boy are hitting on her nowadays. Holla!

Avilad60 says:

I spoke to Andre a month ago when he was in LA. the first thing I asked was to see the injury. He showed it to me. A bump about the size of a dime was on his left bicep. Doctors treat those kind of injuries with a form of steroid. I know because the same injury was suffered by James Toney and he was treated in that manner. If you remember, more than a month later he fought and beat John Ruiz, but failed the test.

I asked Berto if he would be able to pass the test too. He was advised by the doctor treating him that it would be out of his system by the time he would be tested. Clearly, it wasn't. I feel bad for Berto. If you can't trust doctors to be correct on their assessment than who can you trust?

It's further proof that boxing needs mandatory testing. If simply to educate them on what to ingest. Those injecting HGH that's a whole other matter. That cost money and they know what they're doing. Boxing needs testing especially in Nevada.

Never will true testing happen in Nevada. There is too much darn moola to be made. If you think that Money May is clean -- as he claims -- I want to sell you my 200-million-dollar jelly bean. Then again, of course, Money May is taking boxing-regulated legal steroids, so I guess that would make him officially clean. A Catch 22 is all over this syet.

All this steroid jive should stop, and let the fights go on. That jive has been around and used by clowns as long as da game of boxing has been a part of U.S. American's sports' fabric. Skills and talent win over steroids 99.9 percent of the time. Holla!