Manny Pacquiao At Odds with President Obama

BY Michael Woods ON May 15, 2012

Pacquiao workout 120514 005aSome of you may recall a few weeks back I wrote a mini-series on ESPN NY which touched on the theme of: Do we treat Floyd Mayweather fairly?

The thought popped into my head yesterday, when I came across the statements by Manny Pacquiao, the Congressman from the Philippines who has recently undergone what appears to be a somewhat radical transformation, from a religious being, to a super-religious person who says we should all use the Bible as a literal manual for living.

The boxer, who gloves up on June 9 against unbeaten Timothy Bradley, talked with Conservative Examiner reporter Granville Ampong, and put forth his views on a hot-button issue of late: gay marriage.

"God's words first ...obey God's law first before considering the laws of man," Pacquiao told Ampong in a piece which ran May 14. Ampong wrote, "Pacquiao's directive for (President) Obama calls societies to fear God and not to promote sin,inclusive of same-sex marriage and cohabitation, notwithstanding what Leviticus 20:13 has been pointing all along: “If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads" and that the boxer-politician "believes the sweeping campaign of Obama favoring the gays and lesbians to legally marry is nothing more than a direct attack on the moral society and against the creative power and will of God."

The President on May 9 appeared on ABC's News and told reporter Robin Roberts, “I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to get married."

A great many folks applauded the President for taking what they believe is a moral stand, and noted that with roughly half the American adult citizens against same-sex marriage, according to some polls, this was no political stunt meant to goose his poll numbers. (Disclosure: I support the right for people in love to marry each other, gay or straight, and don't worry that this is a "slippery slope" issue and that men will start marrying ice cream cones, or dogs. I write that not to try to convince anyone, or because I think you should care what my political views are, but because I think you deserve to know where I am coming from when I write on this topic.) A great many came down on the President, believing that their definition of marriage, between a man and a woman, is time-tested and indeed, is God's will.

On Jim Lampley's "The Fight Game," the HBO boxing news show which debuted Saturday, Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum mentioned that of late he sometimes feels as if he's promoting Rick Santorum, the conservative ex Senator from PA. who made a run at securing the Republican nomination for the Oval Office seat. It is now clear what Arum meant by that quip, as Santorum bangs the drums all the time against the right of gays to marry each other. In 2003, he said: "[Marriage is not], you know, man on child, man on dog, or whatever the case may be. It is one thing. And when you destroy that you have a dramatic impact on the quality."

Pacquiao is quoted in the Ampong piece as saying: "God only expects man and woman to be together and to be legally married, only if they so are in love with each other. It should not be of the same sex so as to adulterate the altar of matrimony, like in the days of Sodom and Gomorrah of Old."

Ampong continued, writing, 'the boxer 'implies Obama must read "the manual of life" for better living, which is the Holy Scripture, and follow the precepts that "God" wants us to embrace' and 'Pacquiao believes same-sex marriage is an abomination and its advancement should be stopped starting from the high offices of the U.S.to block possible legalization.'

Pretty clear-cut stuff. Pacquiao believes same-sex marriage is an "abomination." Wonder how that makes his homosexual fans feel?

OK, you know how I personally feel about the issue. I don't want to digress into a political polemic here. So I will end by asking everyone: how would the boxing media react if Floyd Mayweather had said the same things that Pacquiao--with his more humble, ever-jovial personality--did on the subject of same-sex marriage?

deepwater says:

Good for manny. obama did nothing for the gay community .nothing.he voted against gay marriage and supports states rights to decide. obama said he supports gay marriage just to try and win some votes and its backfiring on him.he tricked the fools into believing his words when his actions say otherwise. besides that, the government should have no role in marriage, whether straight or homosexual. keep the government out of the bedroom. I dont care what 2 guys or 2 girls do in the bedroom, just dont force other people to accept your beliefs. remember the us constitution protects every individual life,liberty and pursuit of happiness. so if you like to stick hot dogs up there in pursuit of your happiness more power to you . if evryone turned gay the human race would be gone in a few decades. so while you guys and girls might have fun doing things to each other, or if you take hormones and call yourself chaz its all fun but the human race would not last if this was the majority of humans.

deepwater says:

wtf was obama doing on the view talk show today, talking bout kardashians while we are about to have the biggest economic collapse in history. the devaulation of the dollar is on course as soon as the bank runs in europe start. it just started in greece. manny wont lose any fans for this. way to speak up for your beliefs manny, instead of just telling people what they want to hear. bj bill was a disaster and bush the retard was bad, but obama actually has more wars then bush and is spending way more the cigar sticker bill. i would never of thought it would be this bad.

The boxing beast will come out of Da Manny in that squared jungle. That is all that I'm worry about, and that is all that should matter. Besides Da Manny is talking about what Christians believe, not what all humans think. To each his own. Everyone was born his/her own birth and everyone will surely die his/her own death. Nobody dies for you, so the heck if you should let anyone live for you.

Religions are not monolithic. Neither is boksing. Bottomline, Da Manny is a nowadays' Christian faithful outside that ring, but a serious whup-a$$ inside it. When and if the Cali Cranium Crusher billygoats Da Manny, Da Manny will turn into a devilish arse slicer and knock him da double fudge out!

Boxing, religion and life are full of contradictions, controversies and concerns. But making that moola makes it an exception to the rule.

It like having doubts in the Heavenly Father. Like when those Romans were fudging up Jesus, he holla to His Pops: "What da double fudge! What's up with these Holy __ ___! 'Have Thee forsaken' my arse. These goddanggit Romans are crazy as hell. Peter has lied and said that he doesn't know me. Judas's bytch a$$ has sold me out for 30 pieces of cheap-a$$ Roman silver. ____ ___ ________- (__ _)___ __ _! And My ho Mary Magdalene and My Mother Mary are cry at my feet! Can a Jew get some help, Pops!"

And you know that The Heavenly Father Told Jesus to "shut da fudge up."

"I send Yo' Holy A$$ to earth to save humanity by dying for its dumba$$, Son!

Bottomline! Living is a BYTCH! And you will soon be death longer than you were alive. How long was John L Sullivan alive? And how long has he been dead? And how long did those dang Romans during Jesus's Time live? And now how long has their ancient arses been dirt napping? That's what I thought!

Being concerned about how someone gets his/her freak on, "A'INT WORTH A HILL OF BEANS." Much luv to "Sweet Britches" and "Sour Panties." Holla!

radam g you killed me with that post...

and i am down with deep as well.

i dont condone it, but i have more things to worry about.

and its sad to see these politicians flip flopping and people buy it...

just cut taxes, allow us a good and fair economy and life and we are good..

radam g you killed me with that post...

and i am down with deep as well.

i dont condone it, but i have more things to worry about.

and its sad to see these politicians flip flopping and people buy it...

just cut taxes, allow us a good and fair economy and life and we are good..

dino da vinci says:

It like having doubts in the Heavenly Father. Like when those Romans were fudging up Jesus, he holla to His Pops: "What da double fudge! What's up with these Holy __ ___! 'Have Thee forsaken' my arse. These goddanggit Romans are crazy as hell. Peter has lied and said that he doesn't know me. Judas's bytch a$$ has sold me out for 30 pieces of cheap-a$$ Roman silver. ____ ___ ________- (__ _)___ __ _! And My ho Mary Magdalene and My Moms Mary are cry at my feet! Can a Jew get some help, Pops?"

And you know that The Heavenly Father Told Jesus to "shut da fudge up."

"I send Yo' Holy A$$ to earth to save humanity by dying for its dumba$$, Son!

"You going to just be Roman dead for three days and night, and that some weak syet." Hehehe!

Radam is correct. I attended parochial school for twelve years and I remember the Bible talking about da Manny. I didn't realize at the time it would take me some years to piece it all together to figure out what it meant. I actually thought it meant da Manny was the second coming, But now I'm not so sure. My favorite part of the Bible was all the ____ _____ ____ blank spaces.

OMG! Hehehehehehe! Hahahahahaha! DdV, you are gettin' on your comedy. You better watch it. Some nuns will sneak up on you and slap that left hand. Holla!

dino da vinci says:

Probably the very same dinosaurs who taught me in second and third grade. I actually had a nun for french in the sixth grade. She was north of one hundred. Wore the thickest glasses I've ever seen on a human. Made her eyes look like something out of a Steven Spielberg movie. Most likely still teaching.

OneTonMan says:

This topic has ballooned out of proportion. Manny simply stated his opinion in a simple sentence or two, and now headlines wuses words like Manny "RIPS" Obama, etc.
Read Granville Ampong's (originator of the article) followup article which apologizes for the media misquotings. Stop this tabloid news and be responsible reporters!

dino da vinci says:

@OneTon. If he was the originator of the article, where did the misquotes come from?

dino da vinci says:

It was no misquotes, DdV. It was just a lot of jive taken out of contents. For instance, Manny never said that gays should be put to death. The article quoted the Old Testament of the Bibles. And the New Testament has cancelled that dumbsyet out. Ninety-nine percent of Pinoys -- including Da Manny -- is cool with gays. Holla!

MTrain says:

I see nothing wrong with Pacquiao expressing his views on this matter. Judging by the voting records of the 30+ states with anti-gay-marriage constitutional amendments, many (if not most) Americans agree with Pacquiao. Regardless, he is entitled to his opinion. "Wonder how that makes his homosexual fans feel?" He probably doesn't have any; nor does he seem to want them.