Salido Stops JuanMa In 10th Round of Fight of the Year Candidate

BY Michael Woods ON March 10, 2012

juanmavssalido3-igm.jpg thumbnail0 2Put that one down on your ballot, folks. The Orlando Salido-Juan Manuel Lopez rematch will most definitely get some love for Fight of the Year for 2012. Salido went down in the fifth, but Lopez’ style on this night, that of a boxer, a mover, didn’t suit him. He reverted to his old ways in the ninth, the round of the year, a back and forth tradefest, and then got dropped and stopped in round ten in the main event at the Roberto Clemente Coliseum in San Juan, Puerto Rico on Saturday night. A right hook, then a left right left had JuanMa down. He arose, but his stumbling sent word to the ref that he was all heart, but all done. The end--of the bout, if not the concept of JuanMa as a heir to Trinidad and Cotto and a PPV driver--came at 32 seconds into the tenth.

Salido went 235-637, to 138-559 for Lopez, who moved a bunch and didn't seek to be first and be the aggressor as much as we're used to. After, to Jim Gray, Salido said he knew it would be a tough fight and that he'd have to land about twice as many punches as Lopez to get the nod in PR. Salido said he knew JuanMa is a warrior so he wasn't sure he'd finished him off. How about a third fight? He said he's ready for another.

JuanMa afterwards said that he was dominating the fight. The fighter, in one of the all-time sourest of sour grapes moves post-fight,  said that the ref's son stopped the first one, and now the father stopped the second one, and said that it is because they have gambling problems. Roberto Ramirez Jr did indeed stop the first scrap and Senior halted the second, but gambling to me has zero to do with JuanMa being pummeled to a wobbly state. JuanMa said that he told the commission the ref is a gambler, and told them not to give him the job. JuanMa said he was being outpunched two to one in power punches but that he was dominating. JuanMa said he could have continued, and was shown the replay, and still stuck to that story, against all available evidence.

Gray gave him an out, but he said no, he thinks the ref was the difference. Gray told him he was ahead on the cards, and asked if he'd like a third Salido fight. "Whatever my promoter says," he said. "I'm willing to fight with Salido or anyone else."

Showtime televised the scrap, a rematch of their March tussle. Salido scored a TKO8 win in that first tangle, and I see no need for a third tussle, because it has been proven that Salido is the better man, and those that look out for JuanMa would do well to find him another style matchup.

JuanMa (age 28; born and lives in Puerto Rico; 125 ¾ pounds) entered at 31-1, while the WBO featherweight champ Salido (age 31; from Mexico; 126 pounds) was 37-11 -2.

Roberto Ramirez Sr. was the ref, while Denny Nelson, Mike Pernick and Cesar Ramos were the judges. Nelson had it 85-85, Pernick said 86-84 for Lopez, and Ramos saw it 86-84 Lopez as well. Chuck Giampa of Showtime saw it 88-83, Salido.

Tito Trinidad and Ivan Calderon were with Team JuanMa in the ring before the first bell.

In the first, the lefty JuanMa looked to dictate distance, as he threw and moved smartly. Salido tried to tag him as he moved to his left with his right hand. It was a tight round.

In the second, Salido scored with a right which wobbled JuanMa. A combo forced Salido back and we thought maybe JuanMa had gotten loose. The left hook worked for Salido with 25 seconds to go. Another tight round.

In the third, Salido had good luck stalking JuanMa. The PR fighter was backing up, acting like a counterpuncher, and we wondered if and when he’d switch back to his old self. Salido did good work in the last third of the round. JuanMa’s corner told their guy to hit first. Smart advice. They might have also said to keep your freakin hands up, and stay off the ropes.

In the fourth, the old JuanMa returned. This was a fighter, not a fancy boxer. He used his elbow, forearm, and hit low as well. In round five, Salido liked it because JuanMa moved more again. He was backing up, and moving laterally and since this isn’t a guy with the best balance in the world, it wasn’t working. Salido got knocked down from a right hook at the end of the round.

In the sixth, Salido threw two low blows in the first 30 seconds. JuanMa got hit with flush rights, and got caught on the ropes; the fans loved the action. In the seventh, Salido was the aggressor, and was in control, for the most part. In the eighth, it was a bombs away affair, because JuanMa sought to back up Salido.

In the ninth, Salido and JuanMa traded center ring. It was the round of the year, with both men landing hard, clean shots. Salido, swelling on both eyes, landed the better blows. Salido knocked JuanMa down to start the tenth. He was up after the combo, which featured two hellacious uppercuts,  but stumbling, and the ref halted it.

Greetings from Italy TSS! Just getting unpacked today, start shooting my first sceen tomorrow but enough about me, what a sensational fight tonight! JuanMa is ruined for life by Salido. I agree FOTY canidate. JaunMa goes out in a blaze of glory.... until they put the mic in his face. That ref was giving him every break he could but he had no other choice but to stop it when he did. If he let it continue JuanMa's head may have been ripped clean off. Defeat is hard to admit when you want it so bad, I wouldn't know but JuanMa will understand in the days ahead.

Wow!! What an excellent fight. Solido dominated most of the fight with Lopez having enough moments to remain a threat at all times and keep it exciting. Two great boxers who can bang as well. Solido has Lopezs number. Nothing for Lopez to be ashamed of. yes the red was def a bit biased.

Floyd fans can have his boring 27 attempted pot shots per round I'll take these two everyday of the week.

Roast, what do u do for a living my friend?

mortcola says:

Pretty exciting. But I saw a mostly one-sided beating, with enough gutsy counter-punches by JuanMa to make it interesting. He missed most of his shots, was slow and stiff for the first 6 rounds, and looked as gun-shy early on as I've seen a guy at his level look. His behavior after the fight was pathetic, blaming the loss on the ref's gambling problem even though he was out on his feet. Kudos to Salido for taking his game to the next level. As for JuanMa, he is half-way to brain damage, if not worse than that. He turns to jelly when he's hit, his legs are stiff, and his speed is as slow as if he aged 15 years between the two fights.

DaveB says:

I concur with it being a fight of the year candidate or at least round nine being round of the year. It was hit heavy or go home. On second thought it was hit heavy and someone is going home anyway. Juanma has to learn to tuck that chin in. Salido is a hard man to judge. Will he do that well against other fighters? I don't know. But I do know he is a warrior, as is Juanma and he matches up well against Juanma. When I saw Juanma fall from the overhead camera angle, I thought his head had struck the canvas. I all my years of watching fighters get knocked down or out I've never seen anyone's head go from side to side like that. That could have triggered a concussion in itself. There really isn't a good reason for these two to clash again being that Salido has won both encounters but Showtime and the fans may not mind seeing it again so who knows? Juanma's people may want to steer clear of it for good reason. Great fight.

donputo69 says:

WOW....What a fight....Too bad my boy Lopez didnt get it done....Props to Salido though....I've always said that Lopez needs a new trainer that can teach him some defense....He stays too open when he leads with his left hook....But he has alot of heart....Keep ur head up Lopez....You just gotta move on now....Holla back!!!

what a fight! Juanma should have taken an interim confidence builder seeing he lost the first fight so convincinly before he agreed to a rematch...He didn't lose the first fight just because he had a bad night.. hope Juanma can recover his health, even if he hasn't arrived at the elite level, he's still an interesting crowd pleaser. Dave B asked if Salido can compete with the other young guns. I was thinking the same thing. Salido now has a bullseye painted on his chest. There's no turning back now.

I said Salido was going to scrape Lopez again...im with you donputo69 he definitely need a new trainer cause his defense has been getting worst...He has all the heart in the world but it don't mean sh*t if u can't make a MF miss sometimes ..when a fighter like Salido lands 40% of his power punches on you the first who gots to go is your trainer.

teaser says:

Salido did what he was supposed to do ...any fighter who wants to stand and trade with him will be on the short end of the deal ..his chin and stamina will carry him through...as long as he can walk thru the fire he will continue to have success against anything but the "A" fighters....and they had better bring their A game ...

BHarper85 says:

This was definitely the best fight of 2012 thus far, despite the fact that Salido was in control for most of it. JuanMa put up a good fight and showed a lot of courage and heart in the ring, but was ridiculous, and very possibly slanderous, after the fight. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now because those shots he took could've scrambled his brain. Hopefully that was the case and he's thinking more clearly now. Anyway, it'll be interesting to see if JuanMa can bounce back and regain his elite status. He definitely needs to work on his defense and moving in and out on offense. Basically, he needs to learn how to box more effectively. That being said, maybe Salido is just his personal boxing kryptonite. Only time will tell. As far as Salido goes, he proved he's an outstanding fighter, not a guy who just got lucky one night. I love his style and look forward to seeing him in the future. I do think he loses his title if he fights Mikey Garcia. He plays right into Garcia's style. It's still an interesting match-up though, and after his two fights with JuanMa, I wouldn't put it past him to pull off what I think would be a minor upset.

Danggit! JuanMa got upset that he got his arse kicked and started telling stuff that many crooked refs have always done: Stop the bout in the round of the bet that they made. Hehehe! The threatre of the unexpected never surprises me. And this crooked sport will make some of da playas in it go ape sh*t and start spilling bean in a sec.

JuanMa faces a suspension for not knowing how to keep his mouth close, and giving the sport another ___ _____ ___-! Holla!

Waray2 says:

High praise to Orlando Salido. Good Orly score the knockdown. If not, we will witness once again one of the great highway robbery in boxing history. The Judges needs to check their eyes on how to score the fight.

dino da vinci says:

God I love you!

TotoyBato says:

Mexicano es mas Macho. FOTY indeed.

Shoulder Roll Defense says:

Lopez needs to relocate to the States and hire a defensive minded trainer such as Floyd Mayweather Sr. because there are kids in the "Silver Gloves" amateur division with better defense than him lol. I would love to see Salido go up 4 pounds and fight Broner!

God I love you!

I love you too Dino but we should probably keep it on the down low considering we both have wives and all that.

@Amayseng, I was a truck driver/tennis coach but I have chucked that to pursue an acting career in Italy. Had lunch today with Isabella Rossalini and Miley Cyrus. The vino was flowing, I tried to get them into.... whats that French word for three way sex? I bet Mortcola knows, but I struck out. Anyway, I agree with Mort and DaveB. Salido was beating the hell out of Lopez for the most part. JuanMa looked like he could have been KOed at any moment. Lopez turned the tide briefly in that sensational back and forth 9th but Salido ended the fight savagely in the 10th. I don't think JuanMa will ever be the same after that. Some say it's better to burn out than fade away and Lopez has burnt out. New trainers won't change anything. Learning to box safe will be fine until he gets cracked and then the old instincts will kick in. JuanMa is heading into Jermain Taylor land. Get out or get hurt.

dino da vinci says:

Absolutely.

I can't tell you how much I love that photo of your dream girl, the one your using now. It's perfect.

Absolutely.

Right? She can't even look at me, or any of us.

deepwater says:

Great fight.nuff said. no losers in this match

Real Talk says:

Juan Ma!!!!! You got KTFO!!!!! AAw man....You should've been bobing n weavin!!!!! Juan Ma is through booking...smh. That man made no adjustments from the 1st fight, nor did he make any in the 2nd. When he was first in one of the middle rds. he was putting the hands on'em...but just stopped being first. His boxing skills look suspect, need to humble down n focus man....still got a ways to go. You need speed an a decent D game to beat Salido. Dueces

Latest Articles