Victor Ortiz & Andre Berto Busting Wise On Upcoming Bout..AVILA

BY David A. Avila ON January 25, 2012

OrtizBertoIIPrePC McCarten22There was a little bit of sex, drugs and rigamarole as Victor Ortiz and Andre Berto talked to the media about their upcoming rematch on a conference call Wednesday.

Ortiz (29-3-2, 22 KOs) and Berto (28-1, 22 KOs) are looking to recapture the fury of their previous fight on Saturday Feb. 11, at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Their first encounter a year ago was dubbed “Fight of the Year” for 2011.

Can it be done again?

Golden Boy Promotion’s Oscar De La Hoya  thinks it’s a slam dunk.

“The first fight was a tremendous, tremendous fight. Both Berto and Ortiz showed tremendous hearts of warriors,” said GBP president De La Hoya, who promotes Ortiz.

Lou DiBella, who promotes Berto went one step more in his thoughts.

“Andre Berto is going to win. I do know he’s going to avenge a loss,” said DiBella.

Their first encounter took place nine months ago in Atlantic City when Berto defended the WBC welterweight title that he held at the time. Ortiz was volunteered to challenge the full fledged 147-pounder after fighting to a draw in a junior welterweight match against Lamont Peterson. Many saw the Southern Californian as a sacrificial lamb.

“Once again it comes back that I’m the underdog,. That’s the story of my life. Let’s not forget I’m a 140-pounder the first time. Now I’m a natural 147-pounder and somebody’s in trouble.”

Drugs

Berto gave no excuses about their first clash, regardless of performance enhancement drug accusations pointed toward Ortiz after the first clash.

“Ortiz was the better man that day,” said Berto.

Olympic-style drug testing was mutually agreed upon by both Golden Boy and DiBella Promotions for both boxers. Furthermore, both companies are in favor of using drug testing for all major events and world title fights.

“That’s a good step to take away the innuendo of the things that do exist in our sport,” said DiBella. “They really are now making this affordable. This really is a big issue.”

Testing is not primarily for steroids but for any performance enhancement drugs known as PEDs, such as human growth hormones and other type of drugs used to increase strength, stamina and promote weight loss.

De La Hoya foresees this type of testing in boxing to be used in the very near future.

“Eventually we’ll be doing testing all across the board. It’s a contact sport,” said De La Hoya, adding that Major League Baseball, NFL and NBA have adopted testing for PEDs.

“Just like any other sport they’re all doing the testing on all their athletes and we should be there with them.”

The two welterweights both consented unflinchingly.

“PEDS are just very, very rampant not just in other sports but in boxing as well,” Berto said.

Sex

Aside from drug testing one question came about concerning the rumor that Ortiz was dating NBA super star Kobe Bryant’s ex-wife Vanessa Bryant.

“I’ve never been under the same roof as Vanessa Bryant. I’m not even a Lakers fans, I’m a Celtics fan straight up,” said Ortiz.

In less than three weeks the rumors and talks will end in the boxing ring.

“I’m pretty sure I can and will KO Berto,” Ortiz says.

Berto had a more neutral outlook.

“Just tune in and watch,” Berto said.

The welterweight fight will be televised on Showtime.

I like Berto to win here. His career is on the line. He has to box a smarter fight this time. Don't brawl early with the strong kid. Box, frustrate Ortiz and he may just self destruct like he did against Floyd.

I think Ortiz has had his pay day and will not be as hungry as he was in there first bout. Berto on the other hand has his career on the line and will be starving for a victory.. at end of the day I think it going to come down to who wants it more so I got to go with Berto.

ortiz is getting better, berto is not. ortiz was in with floyd, the best and most skilled in the world, he can do nothing but learn from that fight. berto in his last fight looked worse than he did against ortiz against a lesser opponent.

ortiz will knock berto out in 4.

berto has good quickness and speed, but skilled and footwork and boxing ability are heavily lacking.

ortiz says and does all the right things about the floyd debacle, but dont be fooled, this kid is embarrassed and humiliated and i promise carries a fire and determination for redemption.

ortiz by crushing knockout.

Money Jay says:

Im not sold on Berto. He has the look of a beast, but he runs out of gas too quick. He looks exhausted by the 4th round. I agree with @Ali that Victoria isn't hungry anymore though, but I'm worried Berto may run out of gas. If Berto can pace himself, I see him bouncing back...12 rounds of great action though. I'm ready for this one!

@Money May good point I forgot about him running out of gasin in his fights...Damn I hope he can some how fix his stamina if so I think he's going to actually stop Ortiz in the later rounds.

DaveB says:

I guess that is what makes this fight very intriguing - Whose shortcomings will have more of an impact? Will it be Ortiz who acts down right goofy at times, back pedals and doesn't want to engage (that was an aberration against Berto). And will he find a way to want to quit? Is that what he was trying to do against Mayweather? Or will it be Berto who gets gassed, has bad balance, leaves himself wide open, and has a confused corner? Both guys are good enough, hit hard enough, and are vulnerable enough that this should be good at long as it lasts.

Your right on point with your post Dave B

Real Talk says:

Berto is going to tear Ortiz a new one. Sorry KC kid, nothing against you just calling it like I see it. Berto in his last fight looked stronger than ever and his chin looked much better. He will have to box, use the jab and move. Don't rush the fight and let it come to you and when your engine get's good and oiled up around about the 4th rd. then you start to tear into him. If you abandon the jab in the first rd. like you did in your last fight you're putting yourself in the trick bag an it might be a long night.....or worse a short one. Berto is no longer being babied and protected an I see him being ready to take the next step. Berto UD or TKO. Dueces

did Berto learn from Mayweather how well a well timed right hand finds it's mark against Ortiz?,.. or did Ortiz learn something about consistancy and focus in his title losing effort? Time will Tell, I'd like to see Kid from Kansas win in a balls to the wall, knock-down-drag-out slug-fest.

Doesn't matter now,....... fights off.

dino da vinci says:

@Sugar. Yeah, Sug, as great as they are, they're still human.