Mayweather Gets 90 Days in Jail; Starts Stint Jan. 6

BY Michael Woods ON December 21, 2011

MayweatherOrtizPostFightPC Hogan20Money talks, in many circumstances, but it, and fame, won't keep Floyd Mayweather from doing some time.

The 34-year-old boxer made a plea deal with Clark County (Nevada) prosecutors, and was today sentenced to 90 days in jail for domestic violence battery and harassment charges, the LA Times reports. He must also complete 100 hours of community service and pay a $2,500 fine. The article said he must report for jail on Jan. 6.

He will not have to face trial for the altercation with his children's mother, ex galpal Josie Harris. The fighter had a dustup with her at her residence in Sept. 2010, and authorities responded. His kids told cops that he threatened them.

Fans hope that this clarity in Mayweather's life--he now faces only some civil suits stemming from altercations involving his bodyguards--will pave the way forthe 42-0 Floyd to meet Manny Pacquiao. But the Times quotes Bob Arum as ruling out a May 5 date as "too early" so it looks like boxing fans would have to target fall 2012 to see the two marquee hitters face off. We can all hope that Mayweather will be able to steer clear of any further trouble and finally, that clash can happen. One might think that if the talk drags on into next year, more fans might simply stop lobbying for the event, or one or both fighters might lose, and even more luster could be lost from the concept. As it is, the flirting and breakups and makeups dance has dragged on too long, in my opinion. Here's hoping that the jail stint benefits Floyd and spurs him to be the best citizen he can be.

dino da vinci says:

I did a work-up several weeks before the Pacquiao-Marquez fight to see what it might be worth. Nothing too deeply in depth, more a back of the envelope type thing. That "win" by Manny shaved a minimum of $10,000,000. off Floyd's eventual take. More than likely, even more. I see no way to get that additional "MONEY" back, but do see it easily reducing further.

WTF! I smell a BIG rat. These judges are on a bandwagon to fudge with the one percent. Darn 99 percenter are being heard. WORD! If you have money, you will go to jail for Big Bubble to made you his honey bunny. Hehehehehe! [I'm just being hyperbole for the negative slow of heart and turtle catching-on thinking power.] Da Money man better paid for protection or be ready to "back dat thang [sic] up." Holla!

he is lucky, ive seen more time for a fight at the bar as these crap prosecutors always push for the felony assault charge.

for hitting or physically assaulting a woman with children present floyd should have really received a year in prison, not county jail..

he is lucky and KNOWS it, hence him jumping on the plea bargain...

you plea when you know your f'ed, with all his money and lawyers he jumped on that plea

which means two things, he was guilty of his actions and was going to get worse.

he is lucky.

also, the pac floyd fight will never happen, i called this after the first talks broke down what, almost two years ago now.. honestly, i dont even care if it does happen now...floyd will be 35 and way away from his best and manny will be what 33 and already looks to be slowing down a bit since the cotto fight... sad..
all praise and respect to hagler hearns duran and srl and all those who fought each other and challenged themselves by fighting the best....

I must have the Floyd-Manny fight!!! FREE FLOYD MAYWEATHAAAAAA!! Dont think of it that way Ameyseng. Think of it like the Leonard- Hearns rematch in '89. Were they both past their primes? Yes. Were we not entertained and surprised by the fight? Hell yes. I want that superfight!!!

fightscorecollector says:

who does manny pacquaio fight now??... or was it always going to be a 4th fight with marquez?

That Vegas-hang-yo'-a$$ female judge doesn't give a double fudge about athletes. Da dame got game and will make your jive arse lame.

Moral of the story to all you punk-a$$ women whuppers, NOT IN DA CITY OF SIN! WTF! "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas," unless you are a high-profile athlete and go wacko on a damsel, dame, or babee momma! [Also, you better not be a mafia boxer like the late Sonny "Night Train" Liston. Your a$$ may be found dead in your hotel room from a phantom drug overdose. And if you are an ex-athlete, who was a terrible movie actor and got away with killing your ex-wife, don't steal your own syet back from anybody. Or you will go straight to da slammer.] Hehehehehe!

Danggit! Another undefeated pugilist will be doing straight jail time. Money May has already slipped from being a dime. Da sucka and Ike "The President" Ibeabuchi have not been beat in dat professional hurt bitnezz squared jungle. I hear that nobody has "a blueprint how to beat" 'em. But in Sin City court, those lady judges have a "blueprint," and a hammer on how to throw their butts into dat slammer.

Wow! The judge had to be a 99 percenter or maybe a sympathizer, because she is robbing Las Vegas like a muthacrook! You know that the one-percenter Money May fight revenues generate millions for the now broke-a$$ Sin City. And dat ____, I don't pity. Holla!

According to the news reports Floyds lawyers tried to appeal to the judges sense of compassion by documenting how many turkeys Floyd donates on holidays and the 100,000's of thousands of Dollars he's given to charity (in addition to creating revenue and jobs whenever he fights)

The DA responded by saying Mayweather has been before the courts too many times and has escaped penalties the same way he slips punches in the ring, now it was time to send a message to Floyd and the community that there really are consequence to flaunting the law. (Sometimes obedience is better than sacrifice and generosity)

The Judge responded by saying more counseling sessions and home detention was no longer an option as Floyd has exhausted any further leniency from the court. it's no coincidence that his sentence severly hampers his ability to fight on May 5th. As The court cannot appear to cater to convicted lawbreakers.

Jail time can suck the spirit right out of a man and in most cities county jail is worse than being in prison. There's hardly any rec facillities and it's more confined. It takes a strong mind to cope ....but you will inevitably locate the inner strenght to survive and adjust... there's no other option.

I spent a weekend in jail for traffic violations years ago.. there were 32 men couped up in a dormatory built for 12. at night the guards would throw matts on the floor for the excess prisoners to sleep on. They served watery oatmeal that I gave away and the cold brushed metal toilets had no seats. Some big dude confiscated the toilet paper and gave each prisoner one single square to use per trip to the toilet(unless he paid in commissary for more sheets). I swore to myself that if I had to "go" and the thug only gave me one square of tissue "WE HAD TO Fight"... even though it was a fight I knew I would probably lose badly as he had an 80lb advantage and an eager crew of henchmen to assist...

Thankfully my bowells stayed so clinched due to my anxiety I never had to "go" until my release..neither did I bother taking a shower. Not that I feared dropping the soap... just had no desire to get totally naked in that place if I didn't have to. I found solace by chatting away the hours talking to a highschool buddy.. or just sleeping until I had no more sleep left. (which doesn't take long in a 36 hour stay)

Incarceration for any lenth of time can suck your soul into oblivion. Floyd will learn to relish not putting himself into a position where his basic human rights and privilleges are snatched away in an instant and his very life becomes property of the state.. And I promise you, it'll be a lesson he'll ever never forget. Haters Rejoice and Fans be encouraged this may be the best that's ever happened to Floyd.

DaveB says:

Sugar Man, You're all right.

dino da vinci says:

Sugar Man, you're more than all right.

Dave, Dino I still think about that 1 square of tissue, lol.

mortcola says:

I kind of get it, but neither of them has fallen far at all....not far from last year, or the year before, when we first started calling for the fight. When each was as fresh as Leonard and Hearns 1, they were 25 lbs apart and no one would have imagined them fighting. Neither has taken any beatings, neither is talking or walking funny. Manny didn't look slow at all against Marq III, just unfocused and not adjusting well. That was about boxing and mental adjustment, not physical decline. Plus, as Roast says, we would still be seriously entertained, as with Leonard Hearns II. Let Floyd eat his tiny symbolic portion of humility in celebrity jail, and then make the damn fight.

mortcola says:

Post of the year. Even though there is no boxing in it.

dino da vinci says:

Of course there's boxing in it, Mort. Sugar's discussing the possible impact and effects
this potential incarceration may have on the pound-for-pounder.

I can see it both ways of mortcola and dino da vinci. Nevertheless, B-Sug straight got his spittin' on as sweet as sugar. WOW! That was so mean scribbling.

But I musta' fo'got! Sugar Ray Robinson got his nickname "Sugar," because a reporter said that "That Ray Robinson is sweet as sugar." So Sup wif dat, B-Sug! How did you get the pseudonym Brownsugar? And don't tell me because your skin hue is brown and you give sweet lovin' to da damsels, playa! Holla!

Shoulder Roll Defense says:

In an ideal world, Money May doing 90 days in jail shouldn't prevent one of the biggest fights in the history of the game from happening. The fight should simply be pushed back to July or August and both sides need to either "put up or shut up." Mayweather will be turning 35 and Manny isn't too far behind him, therefore the fight needs to be made asap. The legacy of both fighters hinges on them fighting each other.

Shoulder Roll Defense says:

Well said B-Sug, happy holidays!

thanks Mort, dino, Radam, ShoulderRoll, I was more traumatized by 36 hours behind bars than those who have spent 36years in prison...(never missed an insurance payment after that) lol.

dino da vinci says:

It's not like he's going on a retreat to Camp Happytime. I know of many fighters who were sent to fight for their country as a young man, and upon returning from war, were never the same. Yes, I'm clever enough to know the trauma of war is different than the trauma of prison or jail time. But, you have to believe it will effect him. Could be positive, could be negative. That remains to be seen.

@SRD, that "ideal world" has gone to hell in a bread basket or sumtpin!' There was a time that the powers that be held bouts -- amateurs and professional ones -- in prison. As an amateur hotshot, I got my beatdown on prisoners in Cali, Louisiana and New Jersey. I whup doze law-breakin' a$$es. And for the guys, who broke no laws but were in da can on trumped-up charges, I conduct a boksing clinical beatdown on their innocent hinnies too. [Sorry Innocent Project. you didn't exist then.]

I clearly recall as a toddler brat going to a prisoner in New Jersey to see a top contender fighter with the last name of Scott. His nickname was "Great Scott." he beat a good fighter outta Cali and, if I recall it correctly, and he beat Eddie Mustapha Muhammad when Eddie's last name was Gregory. But my recall of this scenario could be all screwed up since I was still such a little fart doing those days.

But, anyway! I hope that you are not pitying Money May. His pops warned his arse plenty of times about bad behavior. I will give his pops credit. He taught his seed to be mellow outside the game. He even once took a bullet in the leg while holding Lil' Floyd. And Pops Joy never went upside his baby momma's head, as his seed has done one too many time. Of course Pops Joy pushed Lil' Floyd's mama around and got rush with her for smokin' up all his drug stash and jive. [For those who don't think that I'm in da know, it is because you don't know, biting off Uncle Roger's spit about boksing: "Syet about" me!]

"Lil' Floyd" has learned the OJ way. For cuttin' up in the Sin City, on yo' a$$ the lady judges will have no PITY! Holla!

I holla at FightFax to check out my memory and I was on like a light. The jailbird fighter name was James "Great" Scott. He did whup Eddie and the Cali fighter that Scptt beat was Yaqui Lopez. Holla!

I'm also agree with dino da vinci. I predict that the bratty Money May will be badly messed up from he prison stay. When you are use to being in charge and that jive changes, you change. Hopefully for the best. Boarding school straighten and scared me to the good and narrow good. Money May is gonna learn that he doesn't want to be anywhere near a gangsta because of the conseqences of jail again. Money May is no OJ. Holla!

You got that right Radam. Rahway later spawned Dwight Braxton (later Muhamad Quawi) who tore up fan favorite Matthew Franklin aka Matthew Saad Muhamad. Maybe Floyd should go to Rahway!

@RG ....LOL.... No I'm single but hardly a player... monogamy... one woman at a time is the only way to go... single guys like me never lose the optimism that they'll someday get lucky.

The name has nothing to do with skin tone,... a person using ethenic profiling as a measuring stick for talent will be betrayed again and again and end up looking silly or worse. The global diversity of boxing makes for variety and allows fans to get in that NFL mode. Where home origin and ethnicity takes the place of team names sometimes,...... we root for our favorites for whatever reason and that's a healthy thing.

the name is just a combo of Joe louis' and Ray Robinsons' monikers... took a while before folks realized I wasn't a female(lol)...If it weren't for the sake of being consistant I'd like to update it to somthing like "Smokin' SOG SteelHammer" well,... maybe not.

Hey I enjoyed your best gunz post... you picked some interesting fights and most were spot-on.. I have to recognize you as a true historian of the game. Enjoy the holidays.

Amir "HardCore" Mansour, a heavyweight who served 8 years in prison and is was currently ranked and rated around the same level as Seth Mitchell has been summoned back to the pokey after a parole violation. Mansour was sentenced to 14 months which may surely be the last nail in the coffin for his tumultuous career. Mansour was steadily inching closer to a bout with one of the Kbrothers (incidently the guy has talent but I think he's too small for either Klichtsko) when police found drugs and ammuniton in a home he shared with another convicted felon. The article says the contraband belonged to his roomate. But being a convicted felon, he was in violation of his parole agreement because the illegal items were found in his home. At the age of 38 it's doubtful he'll be able to regain his former status after he finishes his term. Mansour posted his apologies to his fans on various boxing sites and vows to return.

Danggit! B-Sug, you are a genius. Wow! A mix of the "Brown Bomber" and "Sugar" Ray Robinson. But some Pinoy is going to steal that geniusness of great-champion-names missing from you. I cannot wait to see "Smokin'MarvelousFlashHawkPacSugarGreatest" ___ ______! Holla!

FighterforJC says:

Floyd will most likely hire a look alike to serve his sentence for him, no big deal.

Hehehehehehe! FJC is one funny cat. He's super fast on da draw. And will turn just about any arse into a laughing man of straw. I'll be laughing at that for a week or two. The sad thing about it, Money May would try some jive like that, if he could get away with it. Several times already, his bodyguards have taken falls for him. Holla!

undisputed34 says:

Merry Belated Christmas and greetings all..its been awhile but good to see you guys still going strong.

@ B-Sug, your comment was the funniest thing i've heard all day. I worked in a jail/prison for about ten years and i know exactly the feeling youre talking about....the smell of the place, the nasty looking sandwichs they give out, and when that door slams and the locks come down... ive seen that thousand yard stare on many a face LMAO!! im not laughing at your experience though. i hated going there and i was paid well to be there.

@ shoulder roll and Dino, 3 months behind bars might as well be forever to someone like Money who depends on his timing and reflexes...prison can make you tougher and hungry like the fellows the roast mentioned coming out of Rahway, but i wouldnt say that it would improve technique. Especially for a 35 year old. Also, being that floyd is a celebrity he would have even less space to move around than B-sug did as it is standard policy to keep high profile inmates in solitary either for their own protection and/or to keep them from getting preferential treatment. For those of you who saw Denzel in The Hurricane, think that for 23 hours a day. I also have had the (mis)fortune of serving in the army (no disrespect yo our brothers and sisters that couldnt celebrate the holidays with us) and i can also attest that the trauma of being confined in prison and the trauma of being indoctrinated in the military are damn near IDENTICAL!!

@ F4JC, that last comment was the second funniest lol

dino da vinci says:

@U34. Fighters are an interesting lot. A couple years back I remember I was scratching my head about Riddick Bowe and Michael Moorer. Now it's Floyd that has me perplexed. Somebody please explain to these men that they are Champions of the World! Which is many times better than being in the military, law enforcement or gangsta or wannabe gangsta status. I repeat, you're the CHAMPION OF THE WORLD, and you're aspiring to go the wrong way. Is it me? Am I looking at this wrong?

@UnDisputed34,..wow you were a guard?... we always heard it paid decent money but were worried about the mental strain of maintaining order on a job like that. If a prison went into a state of chaos and a small percentage of prisoners were willing to lose their lives, there wouldn't be enough guards or bullets to hold them back. You gotta really have a pair to hold a job like that.

If you think being in the Army was like jail... then being on a ship in the US Navy is like being on a floating penatentiary. You stay couped up on boat for 6-14 weeks at a time before hitting the beach. Enlistment can feel exactly like a jail sentence. It takes a special individual to advance and excell. I respect anybody whose been through the experience. Hilarious comments.

who knows,.. Floyd may promise give record auditions to loyal inmates. lol

There's a lot of mean characters in jail but most of the inmates are passing through on short terms sentences for things like traffic violations, child support, fraud, drug paraphenalia and possession.

the envirnment really sucks but there's so much turnover you don't have the ingrained gang organization of a prison because the sentences are so much shorter.

Anyway a man with Floyds' resources and savvy shouldn't find 90 days too difficult if he can get past the confinement... at any rate I hope he stays healthy and is motivated to fight when he's released. We need to see that Superfight.

Condor says:

Floyd will not be in general population, so his stint, while hard, will not diminish him. It may be a welcome respite in some respect, almost like rehab for an alcoholic. I don't know. I'll leave it to others to speculate upon that (it'll be April in a blink). This isn't a Tyson prison stretch. That was State prison, general population, in a bygone era (pre technological revolution). And Tyson was railroaded, in my opinion. He was guilty of being politically incorrect and brutally honest, but a rapist? Nah. Had Roy Black defended him, rather than a tax attorney, different deal. But Tyson, to his credit, said I have done things worse than this, and so I belong here for those sins. Tyson hasn't raped many women since...

Anyway, way off topic. 90 days for Floyd, which equates to how many days served, in guarded custody will be little more than a nuisance and may be a huge wake up call.

The great Marvin Hagler used to go into self-imposed "jail" prior to fights. Yes, he had sparring, food, etc, but Floyd will be fine, and he ought to be inking a May deal now.

undisputed34 says:

@ Dino...interesting you mentioned michael moorer...i remember once he came to work out in my gym and they wouldnt allow anyone to work out in the half of the gym he was in. not to mention he looked like damon wayans at the end of the movie "the great white hype". (roly poly). i thought he was a diva. who comes to a boxing gym and doesnt want anybody to get near him.. and unfortunately as we all know by now, the words CHAMPION OF THE WORLD dont carry the same weight that they used to

@ B-Sug...yes i was a guard once upon a time which led me to boxing. I was constantly getting into fights and hurting my hands and/or knees, back etc... i decided to learn because im not a big guy and in jail people are deterred more by size than skill so i had to "educate" plenty of people. i also thought it would be better exercise than just lifting weights. fast forward 3 years and i was second out of 60 guys fighting in the all army box offs, losing to a guy who was ranked # 8 in the nation at the time...but thats a story for another day lol.

lol ill take the "holding a pair" as a compliment, but working in a jail/prison isnt all about being tough. its actually about being a psuedo psychologist and talking and listening, but you have to make people believe that you can identify with their circumstances which means every once and a while you have to defend yourself from people who been bullies their whole lives, or administer an *** whipping just to show that everyone cant be bullied. you are right on point with the mental strain, though... i left because especially after i started boxing, i began to like beating people up a little too much.

the hardest thing for floyd will be doing the time...being alone. alot of people think 3 months isnt very long, but three days is too long for someone to tell you when you have to get up, eat, sleep, shower and poop...especially if youre rich. at least now he gets to hold off until the summer.

dino da vinci says:

@U. I agree with you, U, but the three guys I referenced were (and are) very much world champions. They all fought real worthy guys who could fight back and won most of the time.

interesting stuff Undisputed34... Yep,... I don't see Floyd rolling his mattress up into a tight roll and punching it untill 4 am like Ruben Hurricane Carter. but he'll get by.