Khan vs. Peterson: Will Great Britain Run Roughshod In DC Again?..AVILA

BY David A. Avila ON December 07, 2011

KhanDCWorkout(2)Just how good is Amir “King” Khan and can Lamont Peterson stop him?

WBA junior welterweight titleholder Amir “King” Khan (26-1, 18 KOs) of the United Kingdom faces challenger Lamont Peterson (29-1-1, 15 KOs) at the Capital Centre in Washington D.C.

Is it 1812 all over again and will the British run over the Americans once again but this time with HBO telecasting?

More than a few see Khan, 24, as the heir apparent to Floyd Mayweather or Manny Pacquiao. Maybe only a few prizefighters in the world have the hand speed that the Bolton bullet can display. You have to see it to believe it.

“Khan throws some sick combos. He has stamina. He showed me he’s no one to mess with after that (Marcos) Maidana fight,” said Tattoo, a radio DJ who also covers the fight game for KDAY 93.5. “Maidana is no joke.”

After losing to Breidis Prescott many in Khan’s own country doubted his abilities and felt that he feared a rematch. But since that fight Khan has fought challengers equal or better to Prescott. Eight opponents have been unable to stop the Khan onslaught.

Peterson has next.

Peterson was undefeated and a favorite two years ago to beat Palm Springs boxer Timothy Bradley. Instead, Bradley used his similar speed to Khan to pierce the D.C. fighter’s high guard defense with his rapid combinations. Will Khan do the same?

“The thing is he throws a lot of punches and he throws them in bunches, but his punches seem fast and they are fast, but I'm just as fast. Timing beats speed all day. So, it's nothing to worry about his speed,” says Peterson, 27.

The Washington D.C.-based prizefighter seemed to redeem himself when he fought Victor Ortiz to a draw last year. Then he beat Dominican hotshot Victor Cayo. But is that proof? Can he beat someone not named Victor?

Five current or former world champions have attempted to derail the bullet train of Khan. Whether they were pressure fighters, boxer-punchers, counter punchers, or knockout artists they all seemed to be blinded in the light of Khan’s talent and confidence.

“We took on Maidana; we beat him. We took on Zab Judah, who also was another threat in that division, and we took him out. That's the reason they've put me to number one in the world because they call me the best fighter in that division because I'm one fighter who loves taking the risks and fighting the best out there,” said Khan.

Golden Boy Promotions president Oscar De La Hoya said that in many ways Khan’s

fans love-hate relationship with the British boxer has benefits.

“In boxing the more critics you have, the bigger you are, and that’s the way I saw my career,” De La Hoya said. “Yes, I had more adoring fans who always followed me 100 percent, and you hear the criticisms left and right. But the more you hear the more popularity you’re gaining…it goes with the territory.”

At the Wild Card Boxing gym it’s clear that the wide range of prizefighters who train in the Hollywood facility have a clear respect for Khan and his talent. Boxing journalists also respect both his skills and dedication.

“To keep it short and sweet: when you watch Amir Khan vs. Marcos Maidana it says everything Amir has to offer. He can punch. He has a chin and he’s one of those natural fighters,” says Tattoo. “He’s on top of his conditioning and he’s definitely exciting to watch. A little side note: he definitely knows his Hip Hop well.”

Fights on television

Sat. 6 p.m. pay-per-view, Jon Jones (14-1) vs. Lyoto Machida (17-2); Tito Ortiz (17-9-1) vs. Antonio Rogerio Noegueira (19-5); Frank Mir (15-5) vs. Antonio “Minotauro” Nogueira (33-6-1).

Sat. 6:45, HBO, Amir Khan (26-1) vs. Lamont Peterson (29-1-1).

The Great Khan is lethal. Lamont Peterson will be chewing leather all night, IMHO! Holla!

dino da vinci says:

Khan is on pace to be the best in the world. And he has everything going for him.
Everything. If you're not on any bandwagons yet, get prepared. He appears to want to fight everybody, (A sign of a true champion) so you WILL get your chance to root for him, or against him, however you see fit. Prediction: (was going to put Bold Prediction, and could have justified it had this been written four years ago) in 24 months Amir Kahn will be boxing's biggest Superstar.

Yes Rad, even bigger than da Manny.

If you look at boxing's landscape, it's there for the taking. And he appears to want to own it.

Thoughts?

As much as I want to support Peterson,..... and I will,... I have to realize that Khan is doing to top ranked fighters, what Peterson was doing to journeymen before he gained national exposure.
Peterson is professional enough to capitolize on any lapse Khan has during the fight,.. But Khan is practically a welterweight already. bigger, faster,.. and possibly stronger. He's the hungriest kid I've seen since a much younger Floyd Jr, although not quite as good, but still head and shoulders above the rest as far as talent is concerned.
I'm Hoping Peterson will be able to rise above our expectations or maybe catch Khan with something like Maidana did. He's got the skill to put on a decent show if he isn't overwhelmed by the Event with a rising star (he knows he's the huge underdog).
He knows the Las Vegas Money is all on Khan.

WOW! I don't agree that the Great Khan's superstarism will ellipse Da Manny. Now Great Khan will rise HIGH because da world over -- yall know what time it is! Don't get me started. Holla!

Peterson style is perfect for Khan...Peterson hardly ever slips punches he just puts his guard up and tries to block everything that's not a good thing when your fighting a guy that throws fast combinations with a high punch output ....I think Khan is going to be pitching a shut our and stop Peterson late.

Ditto,... and not only that,.. like the boxing scribe who wrote the "Khan Peterson Scouting Report" said, Peterson has a "Slow Offence", it takes a long time for him to set up shots, while Khan is popping off shots from milli-second to milli-second. My expectations are already low,.. so if he manages to survive the distance and put in a decent effort,.. I'll probably be cheering. But Peterson had better be ready to give it 100,... Lord knows the CC is desperate for a come-up.

Khan will win by KO. Khan is being groomed for bigger fights. This is a tune up. Khan needs to look good and call for Mayweather after. I can't imagine Manny will step to Floyds May 5th tune but Khan has nothing to lose if he takes that date.

OMG! The Roast got me started! Opposite BIG TIME! Money May is the shadow-warring cat who can get on his meowing and scratching imaginery, not-quite ready and small opponents, but when it comes to entering dat squared jungle with Da Manny, he'll forever be "sitting on da dock of da bay, watching da time roll away," bi*chin' -- not bitin' -- off the lyrics of the late, great singer Otis Redding.

Money May is a master of bullsh*tology and hiding under and over his lies and cheating -- using steroids. YUP! I said it! [I know what time it is, and black ops optical illusion syet when I see dat deep dark psy ops and guerrilla syet. Money May is always talkin' about being a soldier and wanting "support from the" U.S. troops and the U.S. Americans, PERIOD!]

MM is an archmaster at distraction and diversion. He times how he gets the maximum benefits from steroids by scheduling his one fight a year at the time that his massive using of steroids and PEDs won't show up in violation of the pugilistic rules. Da sucka is full of steroids and PEDs and just wants the test after he has gotten all the benefits and residue from steroid pre-usage -- probably hardcore taking dat athlete-junkie jive coninuous for eight or nine months when he's on staycation. After all, everybody and dey momma know about Money May using the Las Vegas-allowed steroids for his briddled hands.

I'm willing to bet BIG that if the boxing powers that be call MM in for a steroid today, he'd flunk it badly. Then da dirtied-up-steroid cheat would say that "boksin' is a crooked sport," as he said after he knocked out Vicious Vic's dumb a$$. Hehehehehe! Fans, fanboys, fanfaronades, nuthuggers, busters, fakers, faders and groupiemates are so NAIVE!

{ BIG-TIME foot note for all the sensitive, hoodwinked, bamboozled crybabies: A guerrilla has something to do with solder fighting and warfare, not the animalistic "gorilla" that boxers and athletes in most sports call themselves and/or competing opponents. Not meant to be an iota of so-called racial insulting.} Holla!

Shoulder Roll Defense says:

MM is an archmaster at distraction and diversion. He times how he gets the maximum benefits from steroids by scheduling his one fight a year at the time that his massive using of steroids and PEDs won't show up in violation of the pugilistic rules. Da sucka is full of steroids and PEDs and just wants the test after he has gotten all the benefits and residue from the steroid-test pre-usage -- probably hardcore taking dat athlete-junkie jive coninuous for eight or nine months when he's on staycation. After all, everybody and dey momma know about Money May using the Las Vegas-allowed steroids for his briddled hands.

Wow, Mayweather must be a genius right, having himself tested by USADA for his last 2 or 3 fights, beating olympic style testing and pointing the finger a Pac-Man for illegal steriod use lol. All I can say is 42-0. Pac-Man needs to start speaking for himself and demand that Arum make the fight. Mayweather's last two opponents have been champions coming off of a win streak and Pac-Man's last two opponents have been his left overs. It has gotten to the point that the average boxing fan is able to see the reluctance of Arum to have his cash cow (Pac-Man) butchered by one of the best technicians in the history of boxing. "If he takes the test, my son will put his a$$ to rest (Floyd Mayweather Sr.)."

Shoulder Roll Defense says:

The ref was terrible, but I have recently seen worst, i.e. Mares vs. Agbeko (first fight). Khan wanted to fight Mayweather next, serriously! Even if he had gotten the decision, it would have been at a terrible cost because he has been exposed. Peterson had the higher connect percentage over all and only landed about 10 punches less than Khan according to compubox statistics. If you reward agressiveness, which some judges do, you would have probalby given Peterson the edge tonight because he walked Khan down the whole night and worked the body beautifully. I still believe Peterson is a journeyman, but I tip my hat to him. He gave as good as he got tonight! However, I smell a rematch.

Never seen that Ref before, hope I never see him again. Two points off for pushing?? Khan got the shaft. That will teach him for having a close fight in the other guys home town. It was close but I thought Khan should have got the nod. That was the best I have seen Peterson fight, he did a good job. I thought Khan would win by KO in 6 or 7. Very good fight. That was some good old home cookin in D.C. tonight.

Wow,...What's UP CC??????!!!!!! congrats on an entertaining fight... Surpassed my expectations....... Give it to Khan for coming from all the way across the pond to fight in the pulsating heart of CC,... He deserves a round of applause for taking on a legitimate contender and didn't hesitate to go into Petersons back yard with his strap hanging in the balance. Truthfully I expected more from Khan, Khan won the title by backpedling against Kotelnic for 12 rounds in one of the most non- confrontational fight I've ever seen... you'd have to ask the witness protection program where Kotelnik is today...I thought Khan has improved since then but he still doesn't know how to fight while he's running in reverse and has poor balance while doing so. Are they just doing space-age calesthenics at the Wild Card or do they get to learn some boxing moves too??? Excessive holding and pushing doesn't help score points... I agree a rematch is in order and I was glad to see the classy Lamont Peterson take the high road during the post fight interview unlike the adolescent-like Amir Khan,. Rematch,.. but not in the CC.

Shoulder Roll Defense says:

"Are they just doing space-age calesthenics at the Wild Card or do they get to learn some boxing moves too???"

I couldn't agree more. There is a difference in fighting effectively backing up and plain running. Khan did more of the latter, but lets face it, Freddie Roach is a great trainer, but defense isn't his forte. Home cooking? Yes, but I've seen worst. The bottom line is Khan was exposed and there is no way he is going to get a big fight with Mayweather now. Everybody was predicting that he would stop Peterson or dominate him and he couldn't do either. His best option is to dominate Peterson in a rematch and then fight Tim Bradley. However, from what I saw last night, Tim Bradley defeats Khan.

SRD, apparently you didn't fully read my post. Money May is a tiny genius with giant ones all around him. But you don't have to be one to beat the system of steroids and PEDs testing for the addicts/users. You just need to know when to use it and when to stop using it. You know da game.

Steroids are in everybody's body. It just depends on the degree and the rules that are established for overload. Money May has always been a user. Where have you been? It is all about legality of using. I guess you can say it is like legally and illegally doing the same crime. The one who plays by the rules, committed no crime, but the one who does the same thing without knowing how to get by the rules PAY! BIG PAY!

Besides the darn USADA and the WADA test Marion M for years and never caught her usage. Her conscience exposed her. She sold her own arse. C'mon, SRD, you are brighter than you pretend to be. You are just the victim of being down with brotha loyalty and luv. I know what time it is. Cross da lane, DUDE! And stop yo' blindness for da brotha luv. Holla!

It was serious home cooking in that bout, as I said it may be. I'm not surprised a bit. Most people [Politically correct, or racial bias muthasuckas!] will not call a spade a spade, but I will. U.S. Black fighters use to get ripped off a lot. Now da game has become AfricanAmerKanophile because of dat injustice dat use to happen to 'em. That's RIGHT! The black guy will always be favored to get away with grand theft and murder if need to be.

RIGHT! The TWO black judges voted for KP. The black referee took off two points for him in some imagery penalty syet "for pushing!" WTF! Hum! When is the last time that you saw points taking off in the pros for pushing?... That's what I thought? No such jive exist! The D.C. boksing commissioner [a black guy] won't talk to the media about the refereeing or imaginery penalty. FUDGE those jokers! You just cannot make up RULES on the fly and rip a hard-working pug off. OMFL!

Not in over a 100 years, according to my 108-year-old uncle, has a fighter got penalized for pushing off a head-ramming bytch. But unc said that Amir Khan is at fault too, because "he shoulda inadvertently popped dat fool in da back of da dome." And, you know, unc is ditto on dat. I reminded of how Tim Bradley hit Peterson in the back of the head a few times. That dome in yo' face stopped ASAP!

Anyway, I'm making like an atom and splitting. I need to do some research and viewing of old fight film to see if a cat ever got a penalty in the pros for pushing. Holla!

Thanks to the quickness of computers researching, finding and viewing everything under da sun fo' ya, I got my spit together now. Masters of pushing in da pros -- which is known as a both arms type of straight parrying defense to get a muthapug off you and keep his dome outta your mug to get room to knock his a$$ da double fudge OUT without getting butted --

At-the-top-of-the-ladder users of this type of defense were: Tommy Hearns; Aaron "Hawk Time" Pryor; Hector "Macho Time" Camacho; Muhammad "GOAT" Ali; Sonny "Night Train" Liston; "Big" George Foreman; Sugar Ray Robinson; Sugar Ray Leonard; Sugar Ramos; Sugar Shane Mosley; Benny Leonard; Barney Ross; Willie "Super Bosking Wiz" Pep; Bob Foster; Willie "The Dancing Master" Pastrano; Ralph Dupas; Harry Greb; Mark Breland; Julian Jackson; Antonio Tarver; Roy "Superman" Jones Jr; and Andre "SOG" Ward to name a few throughtout the history of da hurt bitnezz. If you don't believe what I spitted about the above pugists, just get yo' peep on at dey [sic] boksin' flick [sic]. Da muthapugs wuz [sic] slicky slick!

Da jive-turkey ref -- Joseph Cooper -- of da Peterson-Khan grand robbery is just a cheatin' tiny D**K on da take! I challenge anybody to come up with one bout in the last 100 years of professional pugilism where the champion got a point taken off "for pushing!"

The WBA should declare this KP-AM Bout a no contest and order an immediate rematch. Never mind the IBF. It is a chump-up ethnic bias outfit founded by a racist con man -- Robert Lee, who would make you pay to be rank in that organization and to get a title shot. And it is no consequence that its powers that be are largely African Americans, to this day, and it is going to let this foul ref J Cooper get away with such a pathetic performance. Did he see fairness and Amir Khan as a full human? IMHO -- HECK NO! He saw the Great Khan as a Taliban terrorist invading corrupted D.C. And old referee JJ -- I mean Joseph Cooper -- had to save him. I don't apologize for coming hard! Holla!

FighterforJC says:

I'm glad that traitor Khan lost. I hoped he learned his lesson for disrespecting Pacquiao, the greatest fighter who ever lived.

Khan will win the rematch, on a neutral site, with a compitent ref. Two points for pushing, come on! That second point taken was way out of line. The ref should not be the deciding factor in any fight. Peterson fought an inspired fight in front of the home folk but I really doubt that he can do it again. It was a good fight. Lets do it again.

thanks ShoulderRoll, I think Khan is tricky to fight and will push anybody because of his stamina,.. good legs, quick combos,....(and run away style)

who ever challenges him will have to be ready to give it 100 because the chase will be on from the opening bell. That being said he's not a masterboxer, but he's got the basics down..... he lacks the crafty nuances of infighting but he can hold his own pretty much with the entire pool of todays junior welterweights...... I think TimBradley is the type of fighter who would make it real ugly in there for Khan but I'd love to see it.

A lot of fighters extend their arms or use their forearms to create space and keep a guy off em while they set up return punches...... Holmes did it often, so does Mayweather and the Klitschko brothers... but you never.. and I mean never ever see any of them shove a guy backwards 2 or 3 feet multiple times a round,..You don't see any boxers do that....... that's not boxing. He should have been warned first by the ref that he'd lose a point if he didn't quit... I bet he'll be taking a condensed course on "Infighting" 101 after this.

Khan has to do the rematch quick... because it's going to be difficult for him to hold down 140 for much longer. But I doubt that Peterson would play a dirty trick like making him wait a year befor they fight again... although who could blame him if he did? A lot of promoters and managers use those types of advantages all the time.

Hey ShoulderRoll, check out "Hitler finds out Floyd Mayweater beat Victor Ortiz" on YouTube... apparently it was posted by Mayweather on Sept 22nd,.. but this is the first time I've seen it. (was alerted to it by Sweet Tweets on the TSS front page)... It's hilarious. Must have cost Mayweather a few grand to have it put together.

dino da vinci says:

@brownsugar. No, I've seen that before. They take that film clip and subtitle whatever topic they are covering. It's a scene that gives you a lot to work with if you have a creative bent. Congratulations on the DC win.

Wow,.. maybe I should practice my German more.. now that you mention it, I've seen that whole movie about 3 years ago, something about Hitlers last days.

Is this the reason they say ignorance is bliss?? lol

Shoulder Roll Defense says:

I just watched it 3 times. It had me rolling on the floor, thanks for sharing it with me!