Hearns, Roach, Bernstein, Johnson, Buffer, Katz Voted Into Hall of Fame

BY The Sweet Science ON December 06, 2011

HOFimagesCANASTOTA, NY - DECEMBER 6, 2011 - The International Boxing Hall of Fame and Museum announced today the newest class of inductees to enter the Hall. Living inductees include multi-division champion Thomas “Hitman” Hearns, two-division champion Mark “Too Sharp” Johnson, “Let’s Get Ready To Rumble” ring announcer Michael Buffer, trainer Freddie Roach, broadcaster Al Bernstein and journalist Michael Katz

“We’re extremely excited about the Class of 2012 and very much looking forward to honoring the 23rd class of inductees,” said Executive Director Edward Brophy.

Roach commented on the honor.

"I'd like to thank everyone, from the bottom of my heart, who voted for me and congratulate those inducted with me today. I started my career in professional boxing with Eddie Futch and now we will be together, forever, enshrined in the International Boxing Hall of Fame with the greatest legends of the sport. I am truly honored and humbled."

Bernstein weighed in with reaction as well.

"It's hard to imagine how you will react to news like this, and when I got the phone call from Ed Brophy on this, I was surprised at how much it overwhelmed me.  Unlike the great boxers  who get inducted, those of us who are in the observer or non-participant categories are often still very active in their careers, as I am. So, this kind of honor not only validates your past contributions it energizes you for all the work you plan to do for the future.  I am looking forward to the induction weekend at the Hall of Fame, and I offer my congratulations to all the other inductees in this 2012 class."

Readers, please feel free to go to our forum, and leave comments of appreciation, or you thoughts on these inductees.

dino da vinci says:

A solid group of inductees. Congratulations, Class of 2012.

BHarper85 says:

Congrats to all of the inductees. But a special note of appreciation for the induction of Al Bernstein. I consider Al to be the best in the business. It's refreshing to hear commentary from someone who doesn't play favorites but consistently demonstrates a deep knowledge of the sport. You can hear through Al's commentary he possesses a never ending passion and reverence for the sport in the purest sense. He truly loves the sweet science with all of its subtleties, beauty, and brutality, and it shows. Congrats to Al and I hope he keeps up the great work.

Ditto dino! Straight-up boss selection. Holla!

No complaints here!

ArneK. says:

A very strong class, indeed! Congrats to all the inductees. For the record, however, I'm still astounded that Ham Fisher -- creator of Joe Palooka -- has yet to be inducted. That's a glaring omission. And while Michael Buffer is certainly more than deserving, I would quibble that Billy "Let 'Er Go" Jordan should have gotten there first. Jordan's East Coast counterpart Joe Humphreys achieved the honor of IBHOF induction, and while Humphreys was more versatile and had a longer career behind the mike, Jordan had a much higher recognition quotient. Billy Jordan was arguably the face of boxing during the first decade of the 20th century when the sport reached into the hinterland and attracted thousands, perhaps millions, of new fans via the infant medium of fight films.

dino da vinci says:

No! Could this be? Is this thee Arne K? (or at least the one that I know?). With this insight, I'm guessing it is indeed the man! Great post, Sir.

Latest Articles

celinathesweetheartsalazarwinsincostarica
commissionerscornerataleoftwodivisions
fightnetworkthrowsuslaunchpartyinny
gggwow
onkovalevhopkinsandthecontinuationofthecoldwarthaw
countingdowntoaug9goldenboyshowatbarclays
examiningchilembavscummings
douglasandsorofighttodrawon200thshobox
rosieperezabarrytompkinstomcnevadahalloffamedinner
newsonironboycardcarloscarlsonwin

Who's the best Mexican boxer today?