Ortiz Makes Case For Floyd Rematch; Rios Says Ortiz Wanted Out...WOODS

BY Michael Woods ON September 30, 2011

MayweatherOrtiz_Hogan48

Two weeks on, and people are still talking about the shocker of an ending to the Mayweather-Ortiz. I just came across a video of Victor Ortiz making his case for a rematch, to videographer Igor Frank, in Burbank, California.

"It's not about money, to me it's never been about money," Ortiz said in a video that was shot on Friday. "If it means that much to Floyd, he can keep the money, I just want a rematch. Period. It's unfair. I will show that Mayweather is not the best pound for pound fighter. I'm not convinced. At all.

So, was the "two piece" legal?

"It may have been legal," Ortiz said. "But at the end of the day it's like if you're really that great of a fighter you could at least respect the fact that someone wasn't ready. Let them get ready.  It's like two kids in karate class go to the center to do this and one just kicks the other in the face. That's just unfair.  You're really not holding that title with integrity. If you are, dude, you're low, you're a person of no sportsmanship and class."

He said Floyd elbows spurred him to counter with a headbutt, as well.

I spoke to Brandon Rios last night about that wacky ending; he has a history with Ortiz. They were pals, and had a blowout and have no fondness for each other. I asked him if it is fair for us writer types to opine that Ortiz subconsciously or even consciously was looking to get disqualified, because he really didn't want to taste anymore Mayweather leather.

"That's fair, he wanted to get out of that fight," Rios told me. "He has been disqualified before, he threw a punch off a clinch (against Corey Alarcon in 2005). He knew Mayweather was catching him all day and he was going to get knocked out.  He started it and Mayweather finished it. I say Victor wanted to get out."

Rios had nothing kind to say about ref Joe Cortez, either. "He did a s----y job,  he did wander away, and he didn't say to re-start the fight loud enough."

Rios, one of the most fan-friendly pros in the game today, will glove up at Madison Square Garden underneath Cotto-Margarito on Dec. 3. Manager Cameron Dunkin is looking at John Molina, Rocky Martinez and Kevin Mitchell as foes. "That's Cameron's job. I don't duck and dodge nobody."

I asked Rios when he'll get a crack at a megafight, maybe one of the lottery ticket twins, Mayweather or Pacquiao.

"There are rumors Gamboa will go to 135  next year, me and him would be great for TV. Then, in  2013, I'm in no rush, maybe Mayweather or Pacquiao. I'm in no rush, I'm not worrying about the big dogs."

Check out Igor's video here...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q72uBdV8PY4&feature=autoshare

FighterforJC says:

Ortiz makes an irrefutable argument here, and with the exception of Floyd's most loyal fans, nobody else is convinced that Floyd is the best pound for pound fighter especially after cheating his way to victory. Ortiz deserves a rematch but we all know that Floyd wants no part of him now. Floyd felt the power, the aggression and the determination, especially after Ortiz laughed off the do or die desperate flurry that Floyd unleashed at the beginning of the 4th round.

I agree what confuses me is that people don't see Floyd landed one or two punches of that 9 punch flurry then Ortiz showed Floyd a flurry landing punches
and dipping floyds legs sending him flying into the ropes.

Floyd has a good right had but he sneaks it in there it isn't like a Mosley missile
right hand that shakes u into ur feet.

People act like Ortiz was getting hit 45 times let round.

And compubox is crap. Never accurate.

Ditto amayseng! There is definitely a lot of peeps shooting great bullsh*tology about Money May's punches landing on Vicious Vic. These peeps -- nuthuggers and groupies -- of the MM myth saw imagery punches. MM was missing like a drunken bytch. Everybodee and dey momma, with an iota of good eyesight, a tick of brainpower and honesty, saw how VV was making MM miss and how VV was catching MM to the body. Everyone and his cousin know that MM has slipped more than a bit. But as far as VV getting a rematch, he should STFU and move on.

He need to whup some arses and he can. I say that he should go for Mike Jones. Instead of following the Joneses or being like 'em, whup dat arse. Maybe he can even step up to light middleweight and battle hyped-up redheaded hotshot Canelo. Holla!

Agreed G,

Floyd is great, but he was missing and wiffing and off

balance a lot.

An Ortiz berto rematch would be ideal.

And I think he knocks jones out.

Canela would be a great fight.
I would favor Ortiz because he has fought better competition.

Hell Gomez was boxing canela well

Amazing fight,... Just got the dvd... the brittish version. Everyone should purchase this classic for $5 or less...... They don't miss a single punch and Amir Khan does a revealing intro.. this time Floyd is warming up in the dressing room...not like against Shane where he played the prima Donna forcing Shane to wait while he complained in the dressing room... What a masterful performance against a willing Prospect that had every right to believe in his power, boxing ability and speed(not to mention size and stength). The brittish broad casters called Floyd "deceitful,.. a professor,..a virtual Black Widow Spider who was adept at spinning his deceitful web......a fighter who can make his foe believe whatever he wants untill he pops the straigh right again and again..until his opponent give into frustation and discouragement....(and this was before the KO. a boxing Legend who whipped Ortiz with one hand on route to rout??? Like Amir said " if you beat Ortiz early..... he comes unglued" I'm trying to locate the rest of Pacs fights to add to my collection... specifically the ones where he got KO'd by body blows. Let's do this!!!!

Brown, where did u buy the DVD from?

@amayseng.. Easy to find in any major metropolitian area,.. just look for your local Crystal Clear distributor(yes it comes in a white paper sleeve with the title hand written with a black magic marker and that's all I can say about it....except the resolution is perfect), .....has about 13more content than HBO(prefight),.. although it's delivered with a thick brittish accent.. one of the analysts is an exbritish boxer who gives tons of advise about what Mayweather is doing wrong. The other guy could be mistaken for a "nuthugger" but together they create a perfectly balanced team.

Danggit! B-Sug! What up with the hands and fingernails? That is one foto that is causing me a serious brain fart. Holla!