BORGES: Merchant's Questioning of Floyd Was Out of Line

BY Ron Borges ON September 22, 2011

MayweatherOrtiz_Hogan56

Floyd Mayweather brings upon himself many of his own problems, a fact boxing fans were reminded of Saturday night not when he landed two legal punches to knock out a billy goat named Victor Ortiz but when he got into a dust-up with HBO’s Larry Merchant that became a YouTube favorite until HBO began hollering about copyright infringement.

By now you all know the third time was the charm for the 24-year-old Ortiz, who at least twice tried to head butt Mayweather before finally successfully leaping into his face and busting up his mouth and lip barely 30 seconds after referee Joe Cortez pointed to his forehead and warned him, ‘Watch your head! Watch your head!’’

Instead Ortiz used it as a battering ram late in the fourth round of a fight he was losing badly, launching himself into Mayweather’s face with the crown of his head in a way that would have gotten him a $50,000 fine and a suspension from NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.

Cortez took a point away for a deliberate act of mayhem after Ortiz finished profusely apologizing and kissing Mayweather on the cheek. Ortiz tried to continue that charade of remorse after Cortez clearly said, “Let’s go!’’ and then clapped his hands together between the combatants, the universal sign that the armistice was over and they were back at war.

Cortez then looked at the timekeeper, not noticing Ortiz again reach out toward Mayweather as if to embrace him. Mayweather extended his arms, his hands touching Ortiz and then suddenly rocked back and nailed him with a left hook and right hand that knocked him senseless. Although you can argue that it wasn’t sporting, it was completely within the rules and within the proper boundaries of the sport. They were, in other words, legal blows not, as Merchant later termed them, “legal sucker punches.’’

If one went to Twitter, the social media website, hundreds of boxers tweeted defenses of Mayweather, including former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis, who was always known for his gentlemanly manner yet unloaded on a defenseless Oliver McCall when his hands were at his side and tears were streaming down his face in the midst of a heavyweight title fight.

The heavily pro-Ortiz crowd at the MGM Grand Garden Arena booed lustily as Cortez counted the stunned and lifeless Ortiz out at 2:59 of the round and just after that the enmity Mayweather seems to engender whether he deserves it or not spilled over into the post-fight interview by Merchant.

Merchant asked Mayweather to explain his action and he did, pointing out that he “got hit with a dirty shot’’ and reminding viewers of the oldest boxing axiom there is: “Protect yourself at all times.’’

It was then that Merchant’s distaste for Mayweather seemed to reveal itself when he said, “Even though it appeared he wasn’t protecting himself…you unfairly took advantage of it.’’

It was not a question. It was a statement. A statement that ignored both the rules and the conventions of the sport and minimized the clearly illegal and repetitive efforts Ortiz made to butt Mayweather. At that juncture Mayweather instructed Merchant to go interview Ortiz and then laced into him with an expletive-laden, disrespectful tirade, calling for his firing and surrendering what might have been the high ground had he simply walked away.

Merchant then lost it like Ortiz had when he was under assault from Mayweather, snapping that, “If I was 50 years younger I’d kick your ass.’’
Mayweather’s rudeness toward the 80-year-old Merchant does not ameliorate the way the latter handled those interviews. He seemed argumentative toward a fighter who was fouled and apologetic toward the perpetrator of the crime that caused the fight to degenerate into what it became.

When Merchant turned to Ortiz he gave him none of the same kind of pointed grilling. He asked him to describe what happened after first pointing out to him the roar of the partisan crowd.

Merchant asked “Was it your fault?’’ and Ortiz replied, “Absolutely not. I obeyed exactly as I was told.’’

Clearly he had not because Cortez A) told him to watch his head only seconds before he used it and B) said “Let’s go!’’ and clapped his hands together before stepping away from the fighters, a clear sign the time for apology had ended and the time to fight had recommenced.

Merchant did not call him on that. Instead he said, “You butted him. Was that just some reflex action?’’

In a court room Mayweather’s attorney would have jumped up and said, “Leading the witness!’’ and any judge worth his salt would have said, “Objection sustained.’’

According to Merchant, the guy who got butted in the face and then punched his assailant after the referee signaled the fight was back on “…unfairly took advantage’’ while Ortiz was an innocent overwhelmed by his emotions. Some people don’t believe in global warming either.

When I spoke with Merchant the next day he said he had seen no other butts by Ortiz, only “rough housing inside,’’ and pointed out that no one on the broadcast team made any mention of Ortiz using his head illegally prior to the butt he was penalized for. Merchant claimed it had resulted from “in my mind, the heat of the moment. In that melee he lost it a little bit. I don’t think it was premeditated. I’m not disputing it was intentional but it was in a moment of emotion.’’

If it was in a moment of emotion how come he was warned less than a minute earlier to stop illegally using his head, a warning Merchant rightly pointed out the entire HBO broadcast team missed even though you could see it and hear Cortez say it? How many “moments of emotion’’ do you get before they’re not emotion but rather premeditation?

Merchant conceded this week that “Mayweather had the right to do what he did but that doesn’t make it right. It was uncalled for whether within the rules or not. There is a line where there’s bad sportsmanship.’’

Indeed so, and Victor Ortiz crossed it. What Mayweather did was what every fighter I’ve spoken to since said they would have done. He did his job. The referee said “Let’s go!’’ He went. Soon after so did Ortiz.

What was most troubling is that it appeared to me Merchant, rather than simply asking questions to get two sides of the story, was accusatory toward the victim while trying to aid the perpetrator’s escape from responsibility. He denied this. Watch the tape and you decide.

At one point during our conversation, Merchant cited his recollection of Lewis’ refusal to hit McCall when his arms were at his sides while in the midst of what appeared to be a nervous breakdown as an example of what Mayweather should have done. Again, go look at the fight on YouTube. What you find is Lewis hitting McCall warily but repeatedly with right hands, including a stinging right uppercut and right-left combination not unlike the one Mayweather used to stop Ortiz just before referee Mills Lane stopped the fight.

Was the weeping McCall clearly defenseless that night? Yes. Did referee Mills Lane ask him if he wanted to fight and did McCall twice shake his head no? Yes. Did the fight proceed? Yes. Did Lewis hit him repeatedly thereafter? Indeed he did.

Merchant claimed he asked questions only to “try and get their side of the story and let the public decide. That’s what I would have done with Mayweather but before I could he went off so that changed that custom of mine.

“In this case before I could pose the questions I got personally and professionally attacked. Maybe I should have been a little more rigorous on Ortiz but he looked like he didn’t know what the hell was going on.’’
Since the broadcast, Merchant has been widely defended, with many heaping praise on him for calling Mayweather out over his rudeness and abusive language. Floyd Mayweather was indeed out of line in the way he spoke to Merchant but the tone and tenor of Merchant’s questioning was just as unfair and out of line.

Whether Floyd Mayweather “unfairly took advantage’’ of Victor Ortiz or not, Larry Merchant’s one-sided questioning of the two of them did the same to Floyd Mayweather.

Wow! Psychological blinding is definitely in effect. No matter how you spin it, check the rule books and you will clearly see that Cortez superly, royalty, fudged UP! Not only is he not firm or fair, he is not silly and senile. A ref does not turn and watch the timekeeper when the combatants are not in the neutral corners. When you call a timeout, after you penalize the guilty fighter, you send him to the neutral corner and check out the fouled fighter with the ringside doctor. After the doctor say that he can now fight, you call both fighters to the center of the squared jungle while standing between them. You then call time in, tell the suckas to touch up and resume the bout. Not for a minute do you get from in between them. OMFG! When in the cockfighter -- I mean boxers -- are in the zone, they are some outta-controlled cockfighting muthasuckas. Their job a 100 percent of the time is to fight when nobody is between them or saying STOP! You get from between them or let on loose, they will continue to fu*ck one another UP!

Silly and senile -- I mean firm, but fair referee -- Joe Cortez majorly FU*KED UP! And so many people in the media, fans, fanfaronades and boxing powers that be don't have the cojones to suck it up, admit to it and move the holy fu*k on. I'm with the words of UFC/MMA boss Dana White on this one. CORTEZ FU*KED UP! You have a third man in dat squared jungle to control the beasts. Trained killers KILL! Again, don't fault a fighting rooster for unfairly or otherwise killing the other one, when the officials or refs are not keeping them separate and their fudging job to contain da beasts.

I'm reminded of Michael Vick and his pitbull-fighting episodes. The dang dogs were taught and trained to fight and kill the weaker or temperarly off-guard bytchs in front of them at all times, PERIOD! This is how a great, good, boxer is TRAINED, people! When Sugar Ray Robinson was asked by Congress did he try to kill or hurt his opponent that he killed, he said, "It is my business to try to hurt or kill my opponent...I'm in the hurt business." When GOAT Ali was asked did he try to cripple or blind giant-arse Ernie Terrell, the GOAT said, "It is my job to...and it is the referee, doctors, judges job to save him...It is just my job to hurt him."

As far as the fight between Larry Merchant and Money May goes, da suckas were bulljivin!' It is was a page from the old wars of GOAT Ali and the late, great, Howard Cosell. And all that syet came from wrestling. Look how many times a wrestling announcer and wrestler get on their bulljivin." It is all about makin' dat moola and makin' those suckas born every minute to believe bullsh*t, so that they will empty their pockets to see the optical illusions that their a$$es believe are the real time, babbeee! Boxing is also show business. Holla!

teaser says:

two wrongs don't make a right ....knocking a guy out that way proves nothing more than if if it was done by a head butt....cause any bum could knock someone out either way ....shame on both fighters ....and Merchant was asking the questions that Floyd was trying to avoid...ever hear of respect for your elders?....floyd hasn,t either....too bad cause he is the best boxer in the world...no matter who you are or what you have accomplished you have to give respect before you gain it

Robert Curtis says:

Yay, Ron Borges! Finally, someone smart who sees it my way. Larry can be a pedantic douche sometimes. Mayweather is in the business to win, make money and not get hurt. Period. I think Larry's retort, 'If I were fifty years younger, I'd kick your....' was just silly. (He should have headbutted Money May.) LOL.

FighterforJC says:

LOL. Ron Whoreges back under Mayweather's payroll. lol.

I agree wth this article. Victor was getting beaten and he became unglued. Twice before the headbutt that got a point taken away, New Evil Vic was warned about the head. Why after Cortez clapped and said "lets go" was Victor not looking at Floyd? Why after the short left hook didnt Vic turn his attention toward Floyd? What was Floyd supposed to do? "Hey, Headbutt kid, are you ready cuz I'm about to start fighting again" I don't want to hear it from Fighter4JC because he doesn't have cable and probably didn't even see the fight live. Times like these I reeeeealy miss Isaiah. He would be speuwing Kenducky Fraud this and Chicken Mayrunner that.

riverside says:

Legal punch, unsportmanship, whatever!! Victor stock has dropped, Dude is an idiot, not too long ago he quit vs maidana,We all forgot and forgave! he is in the biggest event he will ever starred in, dude is got the opportunity to seize the moment, he is losing clearly, but fight is still early, he flagrantly head butts money may and apoligizes, and continues to kiss him..WTF.. what is money may supposed to do? touch them up and continue fighting! All that talk about he's momma and daddy abandoning him early in life, He should of learn how to protect himself, in battle. He is more hollywood than a street hardend kid and now he is calling for rematch, How about a ppv refund?

Robert Curtis says:

Out-to-lunch Ortiz was out of his league. Radam says the headbutt was a result of Money May's evil kung fu grip, and not Victor's frustration. Who is calling it straight?

Larry Merchant is a major hater and HBO needs to be fire him..The interview questioning was so one sided damn give the Mayweather a fair shake then when he gets on Larry Merchant head he has this sum look on his face like he's done nothing wrong...he had that shit coming.

FighterforJC says:

Funny how Mayweather's Mindless Minions try to fight for Floyd's legacy as though legacy, integrity and honor even matter to the likes of them. lol. as long as you get inside the girl's pants, who cares if it's by smooth talk, by force or at gunpoint? lol

SALT_LOVER25 says:

@FighterforJC("Saint")

We all know there severe headache Floyd Mayweather gives you, but I wanna ask you something:

What do you think of Miguel Cotto?

Thanks.

SALT_LOVER25 says:

*the severe....

FighterforJC says:

@FighterforJC("Saint")

What do you think of Miguel Cotto?

Thanks.

True warrior in the ring and a gentleman outside of it.

admin says:

New Classic...New Evil Vic

Everybodeee and dey will always blame the victim. That it is as American as apple pie and fibbing until even the knows know da know begins to question themselves, shutdown and automagically start believing dat balderdash. Vicious Victor and Money May were victims of a silly-and-senile referee. "Firm but fair," my arse! But I give da JC -- Joe Cortez da luv. His arse has fooled more than the lies about the righteous JC -- Jesus Christ! A referee is suppose to referee and administer the complete rules of the game at all times.

Optical illusions are all up in dat squared jungle causing mass confusions. For those who don't know the rules, an incompetent cheater can syet on you all as if you were toilet stools. Anyway, Joe Kotex -- I mean Cortez -- has all but admitted to being wrong. The suckas has said that the boxers know the rules, so he doesn't need to say sh*t. BULL! Knowing jive is not the job of enforcing it. [Boxers are always looking for an advantage, edge or to get away with murder without being charged.] JC was there to enforce the rules. He did not, no matter how you try to shape it, bounce it or spin it. Most people don'[t know sh*t 'bout boksing," in the words of Uncle Roger May. Other suckas and clowns just try to play dumb or go into deep self-denial for convienents [word misspelled, and I ain't got time to spell check; just like you dudes don't time to fact check the flickin' rules of refereeing.] Holla!

#1 PacFan says:

Hello TSS!!!! Wow how long has it been. So busy right now i cant believe I couldn't even squeezed a min to post on this great site. Well anyway what a fight that was. Just when Ortiz was having his way he gone and did that stupid move with the headbutt. I blame Ortiz about 25% Cortez 25% and Mayweather 50% for sucker punching the lights out of Victor. That was so uncalled for it wasnt even the first time he did that. He did the same to Mosley when Shane tried to apologyze also but he had a better chin. Either way I still felt that Ortiz was going to lose down the line but would've been interesting to see May handle Ortiz's strength and combinations. Unfortunately for May he would have like to get some rounds in against a southpaw.

#1 PacFan says:

Manny has said that he is willing to go take the test under Team Mayweather's demands but seems like Mayweather does not want to tango. Typical Floyd.

#1 PacFan says:

Why is my comments being crossed off? Was i out of line? What's up TSS U?

Whats up #1pacfan it's been a min but ain't shit change I still don't agree with most of what u say....just when he was having his way please! He landed one punch with that wild ass pac combination...if the ref says fight what should u do say( I'm going to wait until my opponent is ready before I start punching)... I'm starting to think a lot of u guys have never had a fight.....if u in any kind of fight and a guy is close enough to hit u protect your self u idiot ....the ref can't protect me better then I can so I would never put my well being in his hands that's just stupid ass f#$ck.

How to properly land a sucker punch,..by brownsugar.

Back when I was just a minor slumdog in the infamous community of the "Little New Jack" apartment complex, I learned to appreciate the virtues of having a good sucker punch in my arsenal(i didn't carry a gun because it was the easiest way to go to jail or die)... During hard times I took to opportunity to work as a maintaince man for a crooked ex-cop who was the Slum Lord of the afore mentioned apartment community...

If you didn't live in Little New Jack you probably wouldn't notice that it came with it's own internally installed brand of juridiction that was administered and adjudicated by the local drug kingpins... Nobody messed hardly with the guys who were passing thru as long as they were spending money, but if you lived there,.. You Had To Fight!!...

Somebody would pick you out and intentionally cause some trouble cause they didn't like the way you looked or wanted to get at your girl friend.. They would block of the exits or the parking lot with onlookers guzzling beer as if you were on HBO.. sometimes the crowds would number 40 - 50 people.

after several success "sucker punch a punk" defenses of my small corner of the universe I outlined a detailed instructional guide for those who would like to learn.

#1. A Sucker punch is a rouse,.. a con,.. a Houdini trick that is dependant on misdirection as it's key component..
You must be relaxed, poised and calm... use subtle misdirection such as looking into the sky as if you just say a new bird species,.. yawn continuously like you just got up from a drinking binge and can't get focused or feign a shocked reaction like you left a pot of oatmeal burning on the stove.

#2. Your feet should alread be in position,.. elbows slightly bent.. knees slightly bent, and shoulders slightly tensed so you can spring into action in a split second.

#3. Wait untill you quarry is at his most confident... the point where he's telling you how he'll tear you a new asshole and in the process of getting up in your face to make additional comments about your Momma.

#4. You should have been practicing the move for at least a month or two before you can utilize it with confident... personally my neighbor hood was so dangers and fraught with contention that I practiced throwing a left, right, left, 3 piece combination from a relaxed position when my hands were at my waist at least 30 to 50 times a day untill I could do a half second imitation of Sugar Ray Leonard.

#5. After you've landed the blows,...your adversary should be in a near comotose state.......At that point just walk away... sitting on your fallen foes chest doing your best ground and pound will only fuel resentment and retaliation... if you just leave.... the last memory your advisor will remember is that he was in your face and was suddenly severed from his senses in a way that will make him question his own manhood and purpose for existance for years to come.

This has been a free tutorial please use it wisely,.. and only if provoked and there is no other way out. I take no personal responsibility, fault or legal consequences if your sucker punch attempt somehow goes awry because of your lack of focus... or if you get cut down by gunfire a day later.

What's up #1 PACFAN,... always good to ready your posts...(the following is not addressed to you personally)........... I don't think Cortez was "Too" much out of order in the way he conducted the Mayweather/Ortiz bout... the shocking finaly had everyone placing blame when no blame is even needed.

EVEN if Ortiz had not landed the 10 rabbit punches that left a sizable swelling on the back of Floyds neck in previous round... or the elbows he landed while doing his best Ricky Hatton imitation,.. Even if he didn't grind the top of his head into Floyds face like a brillo pad several times before the 4th...and EVEN had Ortiz had never catipulted his head into Floyds face like a Bezerker from Gears of War,... Floyd was still well within his rights by displaying the type of Ruthlessness necessary to be one of the worlds best..

After Cortez walked Ortiz around the ring,.. he waived them together,... motioned his hands together and barked "LETS GO"... loudly enought that even our host who was in the kitchen making Mexican Mole Chicken and Rice heard Joe Cortez call the fight back into to play.

After the butt.....Ortiz was still blathering about something he had already apologized for... it was more like he was begging Floyd to take it easy on him,(at that point he didn't displaying the countenance of someone who was trying to win a fight) ....It was clearly evident that even Ortiz's most flaggrantly fouled bull-rushes failed to make any impact Floyd...

Just like Hatton,......... in fact far more easily than Hatton,.. Mayweather rode the few ineffectual storms initiated by Ortiz like a father cuddling his new-born son. With perfect and professional ease.

I made numerous posts that I felt the far bigger, younger, and stronger Ortiz represented a challenge that would make Floyd go to the well like Leonard had to do against Hearns in order to eake out a close victory.

How wrong I was...... to see that Floyd dispite his absense from the ring was on a far greater skill level reduced Ortiz to looking as ordinary as he does everyone else..

This was a facinating victory by Mayweather in my opinion on many levels... and the comical outburst by Merchant makes me laugh from the gut everytime I hear it.

I have to give a special shout out to Ali,...Roast, Salt Lover, RealTalk, Condor, DaveB, Shoulder Roll, and the many other readers who stated that Mayweather would spank Ortiz in a major way... I thought he'd win but thought it would be much tougher due to Floyds age and layoff... He's Taken on the Best Who are Taken The Test.

Excellent victory by Mayweather...I can see Atlas, Dundee, Tyson, Lewis, Hagler, Duran, Leonard, and Hearns all nodding their heads in approval,....(even Klitschko said it was legal but unsportsmanlike) But you don't play when you fight...Have you ever seen a quarterback bullshit around when ref blows the whistle???? There's no room in the sport of boxing for Ortiz's conduct either... save the grab-ass for after the fight.......

I hope Ortiz can build himself back up and erase the stupidity of his actions from this fight... the kid still has major entertainment value. First assignment should be Berto, ...give Berto a rematch... then take on a Mike Jones, or Kell Brook,.. if he wins those,.. it'll be like he never left...and then he can get spanked again in a rematch with the boxer everybody loves to hate... Hopefully we can see Mayweather Vs Pac.

#1 PacFan says:

What' up Ali. As defensive as always...why don't you watch the last 30 seconds of that round in slow m and tell me if he landed just one punch. I saw about good three ones landing on Mayweather and to answer you regarding getting into fights i have, many to be exact. I was you say thuggin in it in my younger days but never had any rules. This is professional boxing not a street fight there's a difference.

#1 PacFan says:

What's up B-Sug?! It's always a pleasure reading your posts. I really felt that Ortiz never had a chance at winning the fight because of how difficult he had against Berto. I've always said that Berto was the most overrated fighter in the division. Mayweather was way beyond Ortiz's skill level. Good points about the sucker punch but to me a sucker punch is easy described as an advantage to hurt the guy first. A sucker punch always occurs when the other is not looking, not ready, and not willing to fight. I pulled one of those types of punches back in the day when I was so mad at my wife's ex because he called her a b#$#$$ so when i saw him at the b-ball courts not a word was said just looked in his eyes and I threw a straight right that staggered him but not on the ground. I then chased him and made him pay while he sat on the bench not willing to fight I then got more hits on him and getting in a toe in the forehead while my homie pulled me off. Now this was in front of all his buddies hahaha.

Dang! Darn violent people. All yall suckas shoulda been in dat squared jungle makin' and than shakin' dat moola. Holla!

Ali, cut da crap! You are taking da maxim, "protect ya' self at all times," a bit too far. Money May is a fighting machine, as is a roster, as is a pitbull dog, as is if any animal or ant when you are in or near his terrority. They will get into yo' a$$, anyway possible if the regulator is not doing his flickin' J-O-B! Money May hit Vicious Victor with a sucker punch -- BOTTOM-FU*KIN"-LINE, legally or not, but rightfully so, PERIOD! That is what a fu*kin' fightin' beast does.

It is flicking up to the powers that be to keep asskickers from gettin' an advantage -- fair or unfair. Referee Joe Kotex -- I mean Cortez -- did not do the proper JOB of a sweet science referee. He did not stand between the combatants and then tell them to fight. He was not between the fighters and was bytch lookin' at the darn timekeeper, because the sucka was in on gettin PAID. He put his money on Money May, and just simply guaranteed that he'd get paid for his bet.

[Joe Cortez is an uncover gambling bytch. He's at the betting and money cage more than your's truly. No matter what, VVO was not gonna win.]

Da game is seedy and -- in the words of Uncle Roger -- "most people don't know syet 'bout boksin!'" MFJC! Ali, just call a spade a spade. But, than again, you may not have the knowledge, or most likely da cojones. You are just one bias, prejudice Jack____, who will never admit to sh*t. I know some of your "best friends [are] Mexicans" from Kansas. YUP! You can see their a$$es waiting for the major tornado, so that they can get a lift to Wizard of Oz to request a brain, a heart and courage. Then they click their heels and realize that they were dreaming. Hehehehehe! Holla!

How to properly land a sucker punch,..by brownsugar.

LOL!! Great tutorial.....

Da game is seedy and -- in the words of Uncle Roger -- "most people don't know syet 'bout boksin!'" MFJC! Ali, just call a spade a spade. But, than again, you may not have the knowledge, or most likely da cojones. You are just one bias, prejudice Jack____, who will never admit to sh*t. I know some of your "best friends [are] Mexicans" from Kansas. YUP! You can see their a$$es waiting for the major tornado, so that they can get a lift to da Wizard of Oz to request a brain, a heart and courage. Then they can click their heels and realize that they were dreaming. Hehehehehe! Ali, buy some vowels and some clues. Or maybe you just need glasses to read and to see. Ya kinda blind, Big DAWG! Holla!

I always call a spade a spade....the bottom line is if the ref say's let's go that means fight to me.
..I'm not going to hug and kiss u for the third time period!....let me ask u somethen....if u hit a guy when he's not ready but he should be (the ref said let's go) is that a sucker punch to u?

Thanks for the comments ali,.......@ #1PACFAN, wow... remind me not to try and go after your lunch money LOL...(but addressing your latest comment it was interesting that Roger Mayweather said to Floyd on fight night that it was to Floyds advantage that Ortiz gained 15 pounds overnight... they saw it as a weakness, interesting).......

in case no one has heard, 24/7 the final episode follows the fighters thru the weigh-in, thru the fight with footage of the fight, and follows them into the dressing rooms,.. where Ortiz put on an entirely different face than he had while the camera's were rolling. facinating stuff.

@ Radam, you make me laugh even when I don't want to sometimes... hope we can get that Mayweather Pac fight!!!

one of the most incomprehensible things I noticed about the fight is the way Jim Lampley kept giving credit for Ortiz landing shots when Mayweather actually the one doing the hitting... he was giving Ortiz huge credit for walking thru punches instead giving credit to the guy landing the punches... thereby trying to spin it as if Ortiz was winning because he was absorbing good punches...

I like Lampley because it's like listening to an over enthusiastic kid... he wears his heart on his sleeve and becomes biased immediately for some fighters... nothing exceptionally wrong with that,.. he's only human except for giving the casual fans the wrong impression, as they hang on his every word as if it were the goespel.

Ortiz reminded me of guys (champions) who continue to try to give there best even when they are out classed(until they self destruct)... like Hatton, or especially Ray BOOM BOOM Mancini, one of my faves since I live 75 miles away from Youngstown... Arquello and Livingstone Bramble gave him a beating that ultimately caught up with him in the later rounds.. Taking shots early in a fight should never be interpreted as being a good thing.. the guys who can do it eventually meet there master... (like Margarito for example)

nobody is superhuman when the punches start accumulating... (Adamek and aaron pryor almost being an exceptions because they could box too)

If that fight would have went 4 more rounds,.. Ortiz would not be in the position he is now... where he still has chance to make a come back. 4 more rounds of that abuse would have finished the kids career and destroyed his confidence...

Garcia had a plan to start slow and finish strong,... how crazy is that when Mayweather has the best stamina around? and was doing a better job of conserving energy?

Roger told Floyd in the corner..."we're gonna drown him in the later rounds"

Put this kid in with Roach, let him get some wins,.. then the rematch can be sold... as of now,.. there is no reason for a rematch. Hope Floyd has another couple of fights left,.. he was just getting warmed up himself.

I dont get you Radam. Are you really saying that Cortez was trying to let Mayweather win because he had money on Floyd to win? Or is this like when you sais Ortiz was gonna whip Floyd's arse but not you didnt mean he would win the fight. I need a translator. Sounds like the words of a sore loser. Scandalous talk.

WOW! Hehehehe! NO! The Roast, I think you need an intrepreter [spelling may not be right]. Da game of boksing is seedy. Everybodee and dey momma are on da take. Cortez is just gonna retire, SOON! C'mon, the Roast! Don't be naive. In Sin City, there is a lot of betting and setting up syet going on. [Like I said, Money May said that Joe Cortez bet on him, and just gauranteed that he'd get paid.] Cortez know where to find me. If I'd post some "scandalous talk," the Universe's powers that be would have knock it down by now, because if I libel da idiot Cortez, he'd be able to come after me and TSS -- for posting such "scandalous talk." C'mon, the Roast! Settle down, man! Chillax! It ain't dat serious. If you think that I'm up in Cortez's grill, ya ain't hear nuffin!' READ or LISTEN ta what some otha' cats are sayin!' Holla!

I musta' fo'got! BTW, the Roast, I made tons of moola by betting BIG that the bout would end in a controversial KO win for Money May or a D'Q for him. I sh*t you not. Sorry if you cannot understand my vibes. Holla!