WOODS--Shane Mosley Admits That Retirement Might Be Option If He Loses In A Bad Way To Pacquiao

BY Michael Woods ON April 26, 2011

We're all adults here. We know that this is the fight game, and the name of the game is making money. And sometimes, when people are trying to convince you to reach into your wallet, and transfer some of your wealth to them, they will say things that veer into hyperbole. I don't want to say they lie, but rather, they skillfully shade the truth, massage it, choose to accentuate one portion of a story over another. They play up evidence which suits their cause, and sometime ignore evidence which might cause the potential consumer to keep that wallet glued shut.

We've heard oodles of skillfully delivered hyperbole in recent months, since Shane Mosley signed on the dotted line to become Manny Pacquiao's next victim. Initially, you'll recall the howls from the keyboard tappers resonated across the universe. They--we---I--didn't like the matchup, believing that the nearly-40-year-old Mosley, God bless him, had deteriorated too far from his prime time, and would be too ripe to get picked off by Pacquiao's laser guided killshots. Fans too haven't really embraced this tangle, which unfolds on May 7 in Las Vegas. But the players involved, the promoters, the trainers, the fighters themselves, have done their part to try and steer the promotion out of the realm of the nattering nabobs of the fightwrite fraternity.

There is a conference call today featuring Shane Mosley which will no doubt feature a boatload of this skillful marketing language. But I have to say, I have been somewhat impressed with what I've been hearing from the fighter himself, from Mosley. I chatted with him a few days ago, and was happy that he wasn't overselling his chances. Yes, he told me he think Pacquiao is a good style matchup for him. He said that Pacquiao doesn't have the same skills as a pure pugilist as Floyd Mayweather does, so Pacquiao will be right there in front of him, ready to be hit. Our man Frank Lotierzo has already picked apart this assertion, noting that Mayweather didn't win his bout against Mosley with his feet. He was in front of Mosley, ready to be hit, but Shane's reflexes are only human. They have diminished and with that, his chance at beating Manny, in my mind, have diminished tremendously.

And you know what? When I asked Mosley in our chat if he would consider retiring if Pacquiao beats him, what I heard convinced me that Mosley knows what he has, and what he's lost. "That decision would have to be made on how I lost," he said.

I appreciated his honesty here. If he gets his butt handed to him, he implied, that will be it for him. I appreciate that he didn't try to BS his way through the question, offer false bravado, reject the possibility that on the night of May 7, his career might conclusively be finished.

See, while we are all adults here, I have to admit I'm a favorite of Barnum. I'm a sucker who gets convinced by the hyperbole. The more years I do this, the less easily I get convinced, but still. So I'm thankful when I see and hear the principals staying grounded in at least some realism.

My guess is that on the night of May 7, Shane Mosley will know after about six minutes that even though he's had a fabulous training camp, and his style matches up well with Manny's, and Manny has never fought anyone with his blend of speed and power, retirement is his obvious option.

Six minutes EM? I give Mosley a better chance than that. I think Sugar Shane will make a fight out of it. Pacman by UD 116-112. Pacman blew out Hatton early but everyone else above 140 has seen the 12th round. Margarito hurt Manny to the body. I'm just sayin...

The Roast is one heckuva of a dreamer and nice guy. Da Manny is gonna chop Sugar Shane up like a piece of apple pie. Shane's chances of winning are Minus Zero and Absolutely None. Those suckas were in the betting line ahead of me. I ask them what round? And they said three! I'm betting six, because Shane loves to mix. Holla!

FighterforJC says:

The biggest difference between Mosley and the other welters that Pacquiao fought is that he sticks his chin straight up a lot of times. Cotto was a short-ish and compact fighter who fought with his chin tucked in. Clottey was all defense, no surprise that he went the distance. Margarito is just a freak of nature with inhuman ability to absorb punishment. Mosley, on the other hand, with his stance and style, is there to be hit all night long unless he resorts to pure grappling the way he did against Margarito. You'll be seeing Mosley's head get snapped back violently the entire fight. And as tough as Mosley is, his chin is nowhere near Margarito's.

All night long, Sugar Shane is gonna be caught up in a Pac-speed trap. Outta da sugar great, Da Manny is gonna be da holy and unholy crap! I'm with Editor Mikey, Sugar Shane is full of pretense. You know this if you have an iota of sense. Da Sugarman knows the time. And he's just trying to get outta da game with a small goldmine. He's working on those suckas born every minute to get some mad money. Foolin' and jivin' those paid butts into those seats and those paid eyeballs in front of those PPV screens and tubes are like bees making multi-million dollars worth of honey. The Sugarman wants his share. And to tell a whopper, he doesn't care. Yall oughta recognize. Sugar Shane ain't fightin' for pride, as much as he's fightin' to get his BIGGEST prize. He'd say anything to increase his take of dat moola. I wouldn't wanna fool ya! I'm just trying to school ya! Holla!

You may say I'm a dreamer RG, but in this case I may be the only one...

MisterLee says:

I say pacquiao takes him out in 5-6 rounds fo' sho! Holler!

Latest Articles