Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MMA - McGregor vs Mayweather!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • MMA - McGregor vs Mayweather!

    Is this going to be a big day for boxing, or MMA? Depending on who wins, what are the outcomes for both sports?

  • #2
    Originally posted by bob_voss View Post
    Is this going to be a big day for boxing, or MMA? Depending on who wins, what are the outcomes for both sports?
    I see no way this is good for boxing. What it really amounts to is that Mayweather is going to hand off the PPV king baton off to a guy from another sport and that is what is so wrong about it. But boxing didn't really have a star watiing in the wings. I firmly believe it will be a generation, maybe two before anyone in boxing reaches Mayweather money again.

    Comment


    • bob_voss
      bob_voss commented
      Editing a comment
      Good point, but if Mayweather lays a bell to bell beating on Connor, as he should, that cannot help a brand that has been watered down by an ever increasing talent pool, and flagging PPV buys. The UFC, with the exception of McGregor, has been struggling to find athletes with the star power needed to drive PPV buys. If he loses, his star power diminishes, along with that of the UFC. Could be a lose-lose situation for both sports. I say this because Connor has demolished Floyd in the "hype" game, so if he loses the fight, it still makes Floyd look that much less charismatic here in the waning stage of his career.

  • #3
    If Joshua is the real deal....he could eclipse Mayweather.

    If McGregor goes the distance - either because Mayweather carries him or just isn't strong enough to stop him, boxing will be on the dart board for years.

    Comment


    • #4
      Originally posted by GlovedFist View Post
      If Joshua is the real deal....he could eclipse Mayweather.

      If McGregor goes the distance - either because Mayweather carries him or just isn't strong enough to stop him, boxing will be on the dart board for years.
      After Demspey no one made a million bucks for a long time. I got a feeling that Mayweather transcended. Joshua could make a ton of money, finish 2nd all-time in pay and not come near Floyd Joy.

      Comment


      • #5
        If I had to bet....that's probably the way it'll play out. But if anyone has the goods to do it, it's Joshua. Especially if he has a few rivals emerge.

        Comment


        • #6
          Originally posted by GlovedFist View Post
          If Joshua is the real deal....he could eclipse Mayweather.

          If McGregor goes the distance - either because Mayweather carries him or just isn't strong enough to stop him, boxing will be on the dart board for years.
          I agree with Joshua. The old saying goes in boxing that as the heavyweights go so does the sport. We are coming out of the Klitschko era and Joshua is emerging as a star heavyweight. He is exciting, charismatic and carries big time punching power. Heavyweights sell and a star heavyweight is worth much more than a skilled defensive minded counter puncher. Joshua could be very big and far eclipse Mayweather's drawing power.

          As for Mayweather-McGregor, it does bring publicity to the sport. But the outcome, whether Mayweather ko 1 or Mayweather in a boring decision, won't be well received. But the sport will recover as it always does. Just remember in two weeks we will have a throw back Boxing After Dark card on HBO that could have a few memorable fights that will long be remembered more than what happens on August 26th.

          Comment


          • #7
            Originally posted by oubobcat View Post

            I agree with Joshua. The old saying goes in boxing that as the heavyweights go so does the sport. We are coming out of the Klitschko era and Joshua is emerging as a star heavyweight. He is exciting, charismatic and carries big time punching power. Heavyweights sell and a star heavyweight is worth much more than a skilled defensive minded counter puncher. Joshua could be very big and far eclipse Mayweather's drawing power.

            As for Mayweather-McGregor, it does bring publicity to the sport. But the outcome, whether Mayweather ko 1 or Mayweather in a boring decision, won't be well received. But the sport will recover as it always does. Just remember in two weeks we will have a throw back Boxing After Dark card on HBO that could have a few memorable fights that will long be remembered more than what happens on August 26th.
            Joshua has everything to be a star. Looks, personality, power and a pleasing style. I am excited about following him. By Mayweather is going to embarrass boxing on the 26th of August. Yes, it'll recover but only he could ruin it's best year in a decade. No coincidence that it got good again when he left.

            Comment


            • #8
              I feel we should refer to him exclusively as "Floyd Joy" from now on.

              Comment


              • #9
                I'm still not convinced that Mayweather / McGregor isn't a fix. It's too much like a WWE promo to me. The world tour? Please. Could you imagine a rematch? I think the payroll for the those knuckleheads is out of control and sets a bad precedence for sports in general. If I was a top name football player getting a concussion every other week in a 16 game season, I may start holding out for more money. If they all start thinking like that what happens to sports in general?

                Comment


                • #10
                  Originally posted by Kirktorn View Post
                  I'm still not convinced that Mayweather / McGregor isn't a fix. It's too much like a WWE promo to me. The world tour? Please. Could you imagine a rematch? I think the payroll for the those knuckleheads is out of control and sets a bad precedence for sports in general. If I was a top name football player getting a concussion every other week in a 16 game season, I may start holding out for more money. If they all start thinking like that what happens to sports in general?
                  I agree completely. The idea of "sport" in general is fair competition, meaning no script.

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    Mike Guiffre, VP of Sales at TicketCity on the May-Mac ticket flop:

                    "Limiting purchase capabilities through restrictions has never been an acceptable model in any retail based industry. Last week the Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor boxing match went on sale with a handful of tight restrictions and a pricing philosophy based on limited data. What occurred was a shocking lack of sales leading to back end shenanigans such as hiding the interactive map showing available seats and listing primary tickets as secondary but at a lower cost. The secondary sales data from Mayweather’s past fight vs. Manny Pacquiao shows an average resale price of just under $4,000 per ticket.

                    His past fights dating back to 2013 all averaged well less than $1,000. The sticker shock of the Pacquiao fight caused decision makers to forget these prices were based off a limited number of seats sold and the event already being sold out. They also did not analytically decide that a Mayweather-McGregor ticket would be more in demand than when he fought Pacquiao.

                    This event is a perfect example of the failure. If you priced and marketed better you would have sold out, and some would have sold for a profit on secondary. In common sense and on the bank statement I fail to see how that is a worse solution than hardly any sales, leading to spending time and money on poorly hidden solutions to move inventory without admitting your mistake."

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      Most people, I mention it to think Im crazy but I think that ther eis a chance that they do not beat the 4.4 million buys of May vs Pac. First off, just in the last two years the pirating on the internet has increased. Then, the number two sales of PPV is still Oscar and Floyd at 2.4 million.The Top UFC is 1650000 which is Diaz vs MCGregor 2. Add them up and they dont clear the 4.4 million mark.

                      Do you get the feeling a lot of boxing people are going to tune out? Someone predicted 6 million PPV buys, I want to see it.

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        You have the possibility of 2 markets purchasing the fight (Boxing and MMA) rather than only 1. Granted there is some cross over but still you tap 2 markets. The other thing to consider is the amount of Irish heritage in the US vs Filipino.

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          Yeah he has Irish backing, but I dont know. Even if he gets the best of boxing PPV (#2 at 2.4 mill) and the best MMA PPV (1.65 mill) combined you dont get 4.4 mill.

                          Comment


                          • #15
                            Mike is right, ticket sales are a flop.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X