Muhammad Ali Was Exonerated, but Trump Wants to Pardon Him Anyway

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muhammad Ali Was Exonerated, but Trump Wants to Pardon Him Anyway

Click image for larger version  Name:	Muhammad-Ali-Was-Exonerated-but-Trump-Wants-to-Pardon-Him-Anyway.jpg Views:	1 Size:	90.4 KB ID:	9062

BY ARNE K. LANG

Sixteen days after granting a posthumous pardon to Jack Johnson and not quite 48 hours after commuting the sentence of a 63-year-old great grandmother who was imprisoned for selling drugs, President Donald Trump told a group of reporters that he was considering a bunch of other pardons, specifically mentioning the late Muhammad Ali. “He was not very popular then; his memory is very popular now,” said Trump. “I’m thinking about Muhammad Ali. I’m thinking of that very seriously.”

Anti-Trump pundits – their numbers are legion -- are having a good horse laugh. There is nothing to pardon Muhammad Ali for. In 1971, the United States Supreme Court effectively pardoned him by overturning his conviction for draft dodging. For good measure, President Jimmy Carter issued a blanket pardon to all Viet Nam draft dodgers in 1977.

On April 22, 1967, six days after stopping badly overmatched Zora Folley in the seventh round at Madison Square Garden in the ninth defense of his world heavyweight title, Ali refused an order to step forward and submit to the draft at an Army induction center in Houston, Texas.

Retribution was swift. On that very same day, the New York State Athletic Commission revoked his boxing license, begetting a spasm of revocations in other jurisdictions. The World Boxing Association followed suit. The NYSAC and the WBA were then the two most powerful sanctioning bodies in the world.

Ten days later, Ali was indicted by a federal grand jury for draft evasion. Although he was subsequently found guilty, he never spent a day in prison. He remained free on bond while his lawyers appealed the case to the United States Supreme Court.

On June 28, 1971, the Supreme Court overturned the decision. The ruling was unanimous. (Chief Justice Thurgood Marshall, the only African-American member of the Supreme Court, recused himself and did not vote.) By reversing the guilty verdict, the court effectively wiped the verdict off the books as if it had never been rendered.

Informed what Trump had said, Ali Family lawyer Ron Tweel said that he appreciated Trump’s sentiment but that no pardon was necessary: “There is no conviction from which a pardon is needed.”

Others were not so gracious. In Muhammad Ali’s hometown, Louisville Courier-Journal columnist Marcy Costello quoted a local attorney who wondered if Trump would be pardoning fictional characters next.

Check out more boxing news on video at The Boxing Channel

The world has gone mad

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Blast View Post
      The world has gone mad
      Has it? Or are we just finding out who and what people and things really are?

Comment

Originally posted by The Good Doctor View Post

Has it? Or are we just finding out who and what people and things really are?
        God I hope not.

Comment

Trump is fed up with the NFL kneeling.
          He wants to talk to all the kneelers and find out from them ;
          who was convicted unjustly; he will look into it and see if he can issue a pardon.
          genius.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPWATER3 View Post
            who was convicted unjustly; he will look into it and see if he can issue a pardon.
            genius.
            The end is near......

Comment

genius.
              I do not want to debate the merits of Trump but I will say that doing that equates to putting a band aid on a bullet wound.

Even though issuing a pardon for someone without a real criminal record is not necessary, I think this does bring some light to some of the exploits of Ali that the younger generation may not know about. Whether you agreed or disagreed with his military/draft stance, it has to be overwhelmingly agreed upon that it took some major "cajones" to do what he did especially during that time period and with what he had to lose. I think in this day of fake outrage, microwave anger, an abundance of people needing to be upset about something, but no real follow through on any of that most of the time, seeing what taking a real chance looks like could be enlightening to some people.
              Last edited by The Good Doctor; 06-09-2018, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Doc, sometimes a bandaid is better than nothing.
                If Trump pardons non violent drug offenders , decriminalized pot at the federal level - allows the states to decide and looks into the Rockefeller drug laws; I would think that is doing more than most.
                I'm selling my Trump -Kim coins when I get them , I'll give you guys on here a good price if interested.

Comment

Doc, sometimes a bandaid is better than nothing.
                  If Trump pardons non violent drug offenders , decriminalized pot at the federal level - allows the states to decide and looks into the Rockefeller drug laws; I would think that is doing more than most.
                  I'm selling my Trump -Kim coins when I get them , I'll give you guys on here a good price if interested.
                  Thanks but no thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X