Clear All

• Joshua Has a More Well-Rounded Game, But Wilder is More Fun to Watch

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC2996_preview-1024x682.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	7362

BY TED SARES

On March 3, WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder increased his stock exponentially by taking out Luis Ortiz in spectacular fashion in a war that may end up being “Fight of the Year.” Wilder’s performance greatly intensified the demand to see him in the ring with Anthony Joshua.

Now Joshua, whom I call “Boxing’s Bomb Cyclone,” can probably draw 90,000 if he fights Hughie Fury at Wembley Stadium and well over 100,000—if such a venue existed-- if he ever fought Hughie’s cousin Tyson Fury (who is fast getting back into shape). Indeed, a fight between A.J. and Tyson Fury would be the biggest fight in British boxing history. Some say Fury is the best boxer, Wilder has the best power, and AJ is a mixture of the two.

Make no mistake, when AJ enters the ring and thousands of adoring fans react with lengthy cheers, the tingle in there; it’s palpable

but….

the anticipation is not about “if,” it’s about “how” and “when.” There is a predictability to Joshua that detracts from the buzz. The expectation is that AJ will methodically break his opponent down with solid fundamental skills and, if he hurts him, will close quickly and definitively.

What most of Joshua’s opponents have not provided thus far is an expectation of unpredictability. Wladimir Klitschko and possibly Dillian Whyte were the exceptions, but opponents like Carlos Takam, Eric, Molina, Dominic Breazeale, Charles Martin and all of his others did not create a buzz—that is, an anticipation of the unexpected. Fans expected them to be stopped and they were. Only Takam offered surprises and those were mostly in his ability to survive as long as he did.

The Buzz

Yes, AJ has charisma and he will be the “A Side” if he meets Wilder. He brings more money and has more belts. A side... B side... who really cares? It’s just great that the heavies are exciting again.

That said, however, Wilder simply has more charisma and it seems to derive from his brash personality as much as from the flaws that exist in the way he fights. Wilder can be out-boxed for several rounds and then, like a strike of lightning, see an opening and throw one of his electric rights. Just like that, the fight is over. Sure, he unleashes windmills, but when he has his opponent in trouble, he gets the job done in spectacular fashion. His KO of Artur Szpilka was both spectacular and frightening as “The Pin” had to be stretchered out.

With Wilder, it’s almost as much about “if” as “how” and “when.’ His wind-milling gets him into vulnerable situations and that’s where the “if” plays out. He throws punches so hard that he often finds himself off-balance. That’s where the buzz is, in the possibility that the Bronze Bomber might get countered and be taken out. Fans sometimes call this wild and unprofessional. “It is basic boxing fundamentals to ‘defend yourself at all times,’ but Wilder struggles to do this,” says Alan Dawson. “When he is off-balance, with his chin in the air, it leaves him vulnerable to a knockout from an elite, polished champion like Joshua.”

So far, Deontay’s lack of polish and technical skills have gotten him a 40-0 record. He is a balls-to-the-wall fire-shooter who can win a fight at any second of any round, including the last. He is EXCITING because he is vulnerable. And that’s why he has more buzz than AJ. Heck, he is just more fun to watch.

Fast Forward

Joshua fights Joseph Parker later this month and must beat Parker to ensure that we get an AJ vs Wilder match. Both are affable. Both have power. Both can be hurt.

Jamie Moore, the trainer of former two-division world champion Carl Frampton, cautions that Parker is not an easy fight for Anthony Joshua. “Parker is tougher than most people expect and I can see him causing AJ a few problems,” he says. “Of course, it could be over with one punch with the power of Joshua.”

Promoter and trainer David Coldwell dissents. “I think he [AJ] absolutely smashes him to bits,” said Coldwell “I just don't think Parker's in his league, to be honest.”

I tend to agree with Coldwell, but whatever the case, the buzz for Joshua-Parker will not be the same as for Joshua-Wilder. Not even close.

Photo credit: Esther Lin / SHOWTIME

Ted Sares is one of the oldest full power lifters in the world and is a four-time winner of the EPF’s Grand Master championship. He also is a member of Ring 4’s Boxing Hall of Fame.

Check out more boxing news on video at The Boxing Channel

Wilder is too flawed. Joshua should beat him.

But Wilder has a punchers chance.

Neither fighter would've been champion in the 60's and 70's, and possibly the 80's.
    Joe Bruno

Joe Bruno, a former New York City sportswriter, is the author of more than 45 crime-related books, including true crime, crime novels, and crime screenplays.

He has been a paid writer/proofreader/editor for more than 40 years.
    Check out Joe Bruno's website at: www.BrunoLiteraryServices.com
    Last edited by Kid Blast; 03-14-2018, 02:23 PM.

Comment

You got to be kidding me! Id rather see Paint Dry than see Wilder fight!

Comment

Originally posted by ForumAdmin View Post
        Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC2996_preview-1024x682.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	149.5 KB ID:	7362

BY TED SARES

On March 3, WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder increased his stock exponentially by taking out Luis Ortiz in spectacular fashion in a war that may end up being “Fight of the Year.” Wilder’s performance greatly intensified the demand to see him in the ring with Anthony Joshua.

Now Joshua, whom I call “Boxing’s Bomb Cyclone,” can probably draw 90,000 if he fights Hughie Fury at Wembley Stadium and well over 100,000—if such a venue existed-- if he ever fought Hughie’s cousin Tyson Fury (who is fast getting back into shape). Indeed, a fight between A.J. and Tyson Fury would be the biggest fight in British boxing history. Some say Fury is the best boxer, Wilder has the best power, and AJ is a mixture of the two.

Make no mistake, when AJ enters the ring and thousands of adoring fans react with lengthy cheers, the tingle in there; it’s palpable

but….

the anticipation is not about “if,” it’s about “how” and “when.” There is a predictability to Joshua that detracts from the buzz. The expectation is that AJ will methodically break his opponent down with solid fundamental skills and, if he hurts him, will close quickly and definitively.

What most of Joshua’s opponents have not provided thus far is an expectation of unpredictability. Wladimir Klitschko and possibly Dillian Whyte were the exceptions, but opponents like Carlos Takam, Eric, Molina, Dominic Breazeale, Charles Martin and all of his others did not create a buzz—that is, an anticipation of the unexpected. Fans expected them to be stopped and they were. Only Takam offered surprises and those were mostly in his ability to survive as long as he did.

The Buzz

Yes, AJ has charisma and he will be the “A Side” if he meets Wilder. He brings more money and has more belts. A side... B side... who really cares? It’s just great that the heavies are exciting again.

That said, however, Wilder simply has more charisma and it seems to derive from his brash personality as much as from the flaws that exist in the way he fights. Wilder can be out-boxed for several rounds and then, like a strike of lightning, see an opening and throw one of his electric rights. Just like that, the fight is over. Sure, he unleashes windmills, but when he has his opponent in trouble, he gets the job done in spectacular fashion. His KO of Artur Szpilka was both spectacular and frightening as “The Pin” had to be stretchered out.

With Wilder, it’s almost as much about “if” as “how” and “when.’ His wind-milling gets him into vulnerable situations and that’s where the “if” plays out. He throws punches so hard that he often finds himself off-balance. That’s where the buzz is, in the possibility that the Bronze Bomber might get countered and be taken out. Fans sometimes call this wild and unprofessional. “It is basic boxing fundamentals to ‘defend yourself at all times,’ but Wilder struggles to do this,” says Alan Dawson. “When he is off-balance, with his chin in the air, it leaves him vulnerable to a knockout from an elite, polished champion like Joshua.”

So far, Deontay’s lack of polish and technical skills have gotten him a 40-0 record. He is a balls-to-the-wall fire-shooter who can win a fight at any second of any round, including the last. He is EXCITING because he is vulnerable. And that’s why he has more buzz than AJ. Heck, he is just more fun to watch.

Fast Forward

Joshua fights Joseph Parker later this month and must beat Parker to ensure that we get an AJ vs Wilder match. Both are affable. Both have power. Both can be hurt.

Jamie Moore, the trainer of former two-division world champion Carl Frampton, cautions that Parker is not an easy fight for Anthony Joshua. “Parker is tougher than most people expect and I can see him causing AJ a few problems,” he says. “Of course, it could be over with one punch with the power of Joshua.”

Promoter and trainer David Coldwell dissents. “I think he [AJ] absolutely smashes him to bits,” said Coldwell “I just don't think Parker's in his league, to be honest.”

I tend to agree with Coldwell, but whatever the case, the buzz for Joshua-Parker will not be the same as for Joshua-Wilder. Not even close.

Photo credit: Esther Lin / SHOWTIME

Ted Sares is one of the oldest full power lifters in the world and is a four-time winner of the EPF’s Grand Master championship. He also is a member of Ring 4’s Boxing Hall of Fame.

Check out more boxing news on video at The Boxing Channel

Wilder is a freak of nature. He weighs the same as a prime Ali and a peaking Mike Tyson. But his body is configured in such a way that he's as lethal to any heavyweight (including the hulking Valuev) as Tommy Hearns was to the welterweight divison. The possibility of a human being having the attributes and qualities of Wilder even existing ....without even being the product of some secrect genetic experiment is like something right out of a science fiction novel . ...

Wilder is not a boxer you can take your eyes off for even a split second. ...despite his defensive liabilities. ....Similarly to the keen concentration of a chess wizard... Wilder has the focus to exploit his opponents openings no matter how slight or fleeting. To defeat him, you can not allow the Bama born native to play his game. ...

And Joshua knows this....But didn't Wilder's Grandma used to say. .. Believe it!!
        Receive it!!!
        And you can achieve it!!!!

So looking forward to this fight!

BOOOOOMMMMBBBB SQAAAUUUUDDD!!!!!!

😃😃😃

Nice article.
        Last edited by brownsugar1; 03-15-2018, 01:23 AM.

Comment

• SuperLight
          SuperLight commented
          Editing a comment
          Fair points, but I'd rather watch Hearns any day.

• JohnnyTango
          JohnnyTango commented
          Editing a comment
          At 214 pounds, Wilder did come in too light in my opinion. He should be 12 to 15 pounds heavier.

Thanks Brownsugar. Much appreciated and I too look forward to this one. Can't wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Bernard Campbell View Post
          You got to be kidding me! Id rather see Paint Dry than see Wilder fight!
          No. not kidding Bernie. The guy may huff and puff but he still brings the heat.

Comment

I agree with the author, but I'd bet Wilder as a 3 to 1 dog. I like Wilder as an underdog. The guy can punch!

Wilder didn't look so good against Ortiz but Ortiz, as a southpaw, gave Wilder fits due to his toughness and his Manny Pacquiao-like angles. The Wilder/Ortiz fight reminded me of Holyfield/Moorer. Holyfield looked as if he'd NEVER faced a southpaw before. Remember Joe Hipp? Hipp hung around the heavyweight division because of his southpaw style. You turn Hipp around, and I don't think he's the same fighter. Caution: Don't judge Wilder on his last fight.

Wilder WILL be able to land the jab against the orthodox AJ which will set-up his (heavy) right hand. It's an exciting fight. I'm looking forward to it. Great breakdown, Ted.

FYI: Below are the odds.

Anthony Joshua: -450
            Deontay Wilder: +300
            Draw: +4000

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyTango View Post
              I agree with the author, but I'd bet Wilder as a 3 to 1 dog. I like Wilder as an underdog. The guy can punch!

Wilder didn't look so good against Ortiz but Ortiz, as a southpaw, gave Wilder fits due to his toughness and his Manny Pacquiao-like angles. The Wilder/Ortiz fight reminded me of Holyfield/Moorer. Holyfield looked as if he'd NEVER faced a southpaw before. Remember Joe Hipp? Hipp hung around the heavyweight division because of his southpaw style. You turn Hipp around, and I don't think he's the same fighter. Caution: Don't judge Wilder on his last fight.

Wilder WILL be able to land the jab against the orthodox AJ which will set-up his (heavy) right hand. It's an exciting fight. I'm looking forward to it. Great breakdown, Ted.

FYI: Below are the odds.

Anthony Joshua: -450
              Deontay Wilder: +300
              Draw: +4000
              Thanks Tango. Wilder is a very live dog; in fact, depending on how AJ does against Parker, he may come in very close to even. Depends .If Parker pulls a Takem, Wilder's team will be watching with strategic anticipation. Breeland is no slouch,

Comment

FYI: http://www.skysports.com/boxing/news...der-impression

Comment

I agree, Wilder is way more fun to watch. Joshua has muscles...that's about it. Wilder has a seriously dangerous right hand, and uses it in different ways. The KO punch that he landed on Ortiz was an uppercut.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankinDallas View Post
                    I agree, Wilder is way more fun to watch. Joshua has muscles...that's about it. Wilder has a seriously dangerous right hand, and uses it in different ways. The KO punch that he landed on Ortiz was an uppercut.
                    Holy moly, Great to see you on here Frank,

Last edited by Kid Blast; 03-18-2018, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X