No announcement yet.

Nieky Holzken (say who?) replaces Juergen Braehmer in the World Boxing Super Series

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nieky Holzken (say who?) replaces Juergen Braehmer in the World Boxing Super Series

Juergen Braehmer has the flu and has been forced to withdraw from Saturday's fight in Nuremberg against Callum Smith. The show will go on with Nieky Holzken subbing for Smith.

The 34-year-old Holzken, who is from the Netherlands, is said to be a former MMA and kickboxing champion. As a conventional boxer, he is 13-0 with 10 KOs but hasn't defeated anyone of note. He is not ranked in the top 15 by any relevant sanctioning body.

When the WBSS announced the entrants in the 168-pound tournament, it was reported that Vincent Feigenbutz would be the alternate if needed The 22-year-old German wunderkind, who is 28-2 (25 KOs), apparently was unwilling to stand around. Feigenbutz fought just this last Saturday.

The WBSS is taking a bruising on social media for going ahead with the tournament rather than postponing it until Braehmer was fit to fight. If George Groves (shoulder injury) is unable to compete in the finals on the date that has been locked in, will the WBSS dredge up another substitute to fight Callum Smith who looks like a lock on Saturday in Nuremberg?

Let's hope that Murphy's Law doesn't infest the cruiserweight tournament which thus far has been a real gem.

Must be a pretty horrific flu, I caught my worst flu in 12 years a couple of months ago. The same flu was also fatal in some cases....especially to seniors its possibly a bad strain. Too bad, no Groves and no Braehmer, that sort of removes a considerable amount of luster from the event. My fantasy replacement would have been Benavides or Ramirez for all the marbles.
    Last edited by brownsugar1; 02-20-2018, 07:16 PM.

Mamby's got the flu?