Clear All

• Ringside at Mandalay Bay: Danny Garcia Crumples Brandon Rios

Click image for larger version

Name:	Garcia-lands-Rios-falls-1024x685.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	224.0 KB
ID:	6725

BY ARNE K. LANG

LAS VEGAS, NV – Brandon "Bam Bam"Rios brought his guns to Saturday's welterweight encounter with Danny Garcia at Mandalay Bay. Unfortunately for Rios, Garcia brought a bazooka. He put it to use in the ninth round, felling Rios like a rock with a crunching overhand right. Bam Bam beat the count, but he was unsteady (on queer street, to use an old expression) and would have been easy meat for Garcia if referee Kenny Bayless hadn't wisely waived it off.

With the crowd in his corner, Rios, a former WBA world lightweight champion, pressed the action, but Garcia, the Philadelphia invader, was never in any serious harm. He was ahead on all three cards through the eight completed rounds. Garcia, who was coming off his first career loss, elevated his record to 34-1 (24). Rios declined to 34-4-1.

In the co-feature, David Benavidez successfully defended his IBF 168-pound title and won his 20th straight without a loss with a lopsided 12-round decision over hard-trying but outgunned Ronald Gavril (18-3). Benavidez won every round on two of the scorecards and 11 rounds on the other. This was a rematch and a far easier fight for Benavidez than the first meeting.

The 21-year-old Benavidez, who has the frame to eventually grow into a cruiserweight, tattooed the teak-tough Gavril with an impressive assortment of punches. The Phoenix lad, who wears the colors of Mexico, was the crowd favorite although he was fighting a local fighter in the Romania-born Gavril. He is potentially the most popular fighter to come out of Phoenix since mighty-mite Michael Carbajal.

In the first TV fight, Cuban defector Yordenis Ugas (21-3, 10 KOs) continued his steady comeback with a seventh round stoppage of Philadelphia’s Ray Robinson in a contest framed as an IBF welterweight title eliminator.

Ugas decked Robinson in the opening round with a sweeping right hook. Robinson returned the favor at the end of round four, but it was an illegal punch delivered after the bell and he was docked a point by referee Robert Byrd for the infraction. The end came in round seven when Ugas knocked Robinson down hard with a straight right hand. The Philadelphian beat the count, but Ugas tore after him in a frenzy, sending Robinson, who to his credit never stopped throwing punches, reeling against the ropes, forcing Byrd to intervene.

It was a tough loss for Robinson (24-3) who rode into the contest riding a 13-fight winning streak.

It was a long night for local fight fans and an especially long night for fight fans tuning in back on the east coast where the main event didn't start until 23 minutes after midnight.

Photo credit: Al Applerose

Ray Robinson looked nothing like his namesake. The eager Cuban ( Ugas )becomes the mandatory for Spence.

Benavides said he was going to separate himself from Gavrille and he made the teak tough Romanian do something he never did in their first fight...which is to learn the meaning of respect. ...Gavrille still soaked up an incredible amount of punishment and miraculously ended the fight in an upright position. That fight undoubtedly took a few years off Gavrille's career and the same goes for the lifespan of Benavides' hands . I hear Benavides wants Ramirez....although I think it may be a little too soon.

Danny Garcia told Shawn Porter he would fight him in the parking lot. ....HOW ABOUT INSIDE A BOXING RING????? as the two engaged in tough talk after a very determined but soft looking Rios was dispatched the hard way....Rios was able to make the fight look entertaining in between eating Garcia's sledgehammers on a regular schedule . .... I couldn't help but think of how Rios soft and pale looking body reminded me of a walking bag of mashed potatoes and butter........ but the shell of Rios was 100% all heart. I hope he can find something else to do within the sport of boxing other than getting hit.

Usually boxers run to the guy with the title. ....but out of Porter...Garcia...Thurman...and Vargas, the only fighter who expressed a desire to fight Spence was the newly made mandatory. ..... Ugas.
    Last edited by brownsugar1; 02-18-2018, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ForumAdmin View Post
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Garcia-lands-Rios-falls-1024x685.jpg Views:	1 Size:	224.0 KB ID:	6725

BY ARNE K. LANG

LAS VEGAS, NV – Brandon "Bam Bam"Rios brought his guns to Saturday's welterweight encounter with Danny Garcia at Mandalay Bay. Unfortunately for Rios, Garcia brought a bazooka. He put it to use in the ninth round, felling Rios like a rock with a crunching overhand right. Bam Bam beat the count, but he was unsteady (on queer street, to use an old expression) and would have been easy meat for Garcia if referee Kenny Bayless hadn't wisely waived it off.

With the crowd in his corner, Rios, a former WBA world lightweight champion, pressed the action, but Garcia, the Philadelphia invader, was never in any serious harm. He was ahead on all three cards through the eight completed rounds. Garcia, who was coming off his first career loss, elevated his record to 34-1 (24). Rios declined to 34-4-1.

In the co-feature, David Benavidez successfully defended his IBF 168-pound title and won his 20th straight without a loss with a lopsided 12-round decision over hard-trying but outgunned Ronald Gavril (18-3). Benavidez won every round on two of the scorecards and 11 rounds on the other. This was a rematch and a far easier fight for Benavidez than the first meeting.

The 21-year-old Benavidez, who has the frame to eventually grow into a cruiserweight, tattooed the teak-tough Gavril with an impressive assortment of punches. The Phoenix lad, who wears the colors of Mexico, was the crowd favorite although he was fighting a local fighter in the Romania-born Gavril. He is potentially the most popular fighter to come out of Phoenix since mighty-mite Michael Carbajal.

In the first TV fight, Cuban defector Yordenis Ugas (21-3, 10 KOs) continued his steady comeback with a seventh round stoppage of Philadelphia’s Ray Robinson in a contest framed as an IBF welterweight title eliminator.

Ugas decked Robinson in the opening round with a sweeping right hook. Robinson returned the favor at the end of round four, but it was an illegal punch delivered after the bell and he was docked a point by referee Robert Byrd for the infraction. The end came in round seven when Ugas knocked Robinson down hard with a straight right hand. The Philadelphian beat the count, but Ugas tore after him in a frenzy, sending Robinson, who to his credit never stopped throwing punches, reeling against the ropes, forcing Byrd to intervene.

It was a tough loss for Robinson (24-3) who rode into the contest riding a 13-fight winning streak.

It was a long night for local fight fans and an especially long night for fight fans tuning in back on the east coast where the main event didn't start until 23 minutes after midnight.

Photo credit: Al Applerose
      I didnt know I used your adjective but Gavrille is teak tough...and Benavides is an offensive machine... Plant vs Porky literally put me to sleep.

But that was a great stoppage. ...Rios had to be helped to the corner and sounded like he drank a fifth of sour mash during the interview

Nice recap

Comment

Jim Gray used to bristle at fighter profanity.

Last night he got some F bombs on his head.

Comment

Nice observations BrownSugar1. Appreciate your input.

Regarding profanity, when I was on radio, my show had a 7-second delay which allowed the engineer in the studio time to erase any profanity that came out of the mouth of a caller. I would not want Showtime to censor their post-fight interviews. Shucks, this was boxing on a cable network and this interview ran late at night; let it be organic.

However, some of us are old enough to remember when parents threatened to wash a child's mouth out with soap if he used bad language (how quaint) and find it a little disconcerting that the pendulum has swung so far in the other direction.

Comment

Rios hung in there better than I thought he would and even had some decent moments. I was surprised that he landed as much as he did on Garcia as I thought this would resemble the Pac fight for Rios.

And I found the end during the interview with Garcia with the Porter's coming into the ring as very odd. That was not the mild mannered Porter we have seen in the past and certainly not the guy I witnessed in Canastota last June. Garcia is also a very mild mannered individual. When I was watching that scene unfold, it appeared to me to be very staged. I think this was planned to obviously build toward a showdown later this year. Oddly too in all that (and maybe I missed it), I did not see Angel Garcia involved one bit which would be totally out of his character.

Comment

This sport does drive me crazy with the lack of common sense involved. We saw this week a decent fight between Vasyl Lomachenko and Jorge Linares apparently fall apart because of issues with the date. The Canelo-Golovkin II replay is on HBO along with apparently a Golden Boy card and that was the hang up. Why the replay could not be shown a day earlier with the card running after or some other solution worked out (something called a compromise) is beyond me. But I won't get too upset because I am still holding out a little hope that Tevin Farmer gets that fight with Lomachenko which is the fight I really want to see though as I posted earlier suspect we see Lomachenko in with Robert Easter Jr.

And we have competing HBO/Showtime cards on March 3rd and then competing ESPN/Showtime cards a week later.

Okay I am learning to deal with all the above though wish some common sense could be enacted. But what I never thought I'd see and what baffles me beyond belief is an organization run televised cards head to head competing with itself directly over viewers. This happened last night when PBC dragged out its Fox broadcast and the main event between Devon Alexander and Victor Ortiz ran concurrently with the Yordenis Ugas-Ray Robinson fight being televised on Showtime which was another PBC card. One brand directly competing with itself for viewers...unreal and in no way should have ever occurred. For the record, when the Ortiz-Alexander decision was read the Ugas-Robinson fight was in round 6.

Comment

Originally posted by oubobcat View Post
                This sport does drive me crazy with the lack of common sense involved. We saw this week a decent fight between Vasyl Lomachenko and Jorge Linares apparently fall apart because of issues with the date. The Canelo-Golovkin II replay is on HBO along with apparently a Golden Boy card and that was the hang up. Why the replay could not be shown a day earlier with the card running after or some other solution worked out (something called a compromise) is beyond me. But I won't get too upset because I am still holding out a little hope that Tevin Farmer gets that fight with Lomachenko which is the fight I really want to see though as I posted earlier suspect we see Lomachenko in with Robert Easter Jr.

And we have competing HBO/Showtime cards on March 3rd and then competing ESPN/Showtime cards a week later.

Okay I am learning to deal with all the above though wish some common sense could be enacted. But what I never thought I'd see and what baffles me beyond belief is an organization run televised cards head to head competing with itself directly over viewers. This happened last night when PBC dragged out its Fox broadcast and the main event between Devon Alexander and Victor Ortiz ran concurrently with the Yordenis Ugas-Ray Robinson fight being televised on Showtime which was another PBC card. One brand directly competing with itself for viewers...unreal and in no way should have ever occurred. For the record, when the Ortiz-Alexander decision was read the Ugas-Robinson fight was in round 6.
                Think STYPE

Comment

Im glad you mentioned that...
                  there was a 30 minute overlap between both fights.... My assumption is that the fights aired during the best time PBC was able to obtain from both programs....I'm open to anybody else's theory.

On youtube Angel Garcia admits to having been forced to assume a smaller profile with the media. He has expressed some choice words to convey his heartfelt feelings about the matter.

I've seen the Philly kid come out of Danny several times...after months and months of verbal harrassment from Thurman who targeted Danny shortly after moving up to 147.....Thurman consistently referred to Danny as "The Cherry Picker" and Danny lost it.........it may have happened after the Robert Guerrero fight.

Porter who will do anything to force a fight (remember his Randy Savage impersonation) said he planned to crash Danny's post fight interview all by himself on a recent short vid posted on fightype.

Danny responded in kind ....because thats just him.

I like to see these guys coming out from behind their dad's shadow....lol. Its time to learn the business of self promotion first hand....no matter how awkward it looks... There's definately a payoff down the road for bad behavior in boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by brownsugar1 View Post

Im glad you mentioned that...
                    there was a 30 minute overlap between both fights.... My assumption is that the fights aired during the best time PBC was able to obtain from both programs....I'm open to anybody else's theory.

On youtube Angel Garcia admits to having been forced to assume a smaller profile with the media. He has expressed some choice words to convey his heartfelt feelings about the matter.

I've seen the Philly kid come out of Danny several times...after months and months of verbal harrassment from Thurman who targeted Danny shortly after moving up to 147.....Thurman consistently referred to Danny as "The Cherry Picker" and Danny lost it.........it may have happened after the Robert Guerrero fight.

Porter who will do anything to force a fight (remember his Randy Savage impersonation) said he planned to crash Danny's post fight interview all by himself on a recent short vid posted on fightype.

Danny responded in kind ....because thats just him.

I like to see these guys coming out from behind their dad's shadow....lol. Its time to learn the business of self promotion first hand....no matter how awkward it looks... There's definately a payoff down the road for bad behavior in boxing.
                    I really do hope we see Garcia-Porter. It is a good fight and good match of styles. My fear was that both would hold out hope for a Thurman fight and either wait or fight less opponents hoping that Thurman would fight them later in the year. Thurman seems to be the guy targeted as a fight with him commands a big check and is seen as less risky than one against Errol Spence (whom I have not heard either Porter or Garcia call out though I could be mistaken). Thus, instead of seeing Garcia-Salka II or something similar later this year we would get a quality high level fight.

If we do get Garcia-Porter, I would make Porter a small favorite somewhere around the -135 mark. Hey, maybe this fight happens right around the time sports gambling gets legalized here in the United States and we could really have some interesting wagering discussions on this forum (though I will admit to have found other ways to get a little action in on some contests).

Comment

I really do hope we see Garcia-Porter. It is a good fight and good match of styles. My fear was that both would hold out hope for a Thurman fight and either wait or fight less opponents hoping that Thurman would fight them later in the year. Thurman seems to be the guy targeted as a fight with him commands a big check and is seen as less risky than one against Errol Spence (whom I have not heard either Porter or Garcia call out though I could be mistaken). Thus, instead of seeing Garcia-Salka II or something similar later this year we would get a quality high level fight.

If we do get Garcia-Porter, I would make Porter a small favorite somewhere around the -135 mark. Hey, maybe this fight happens right around the time sports gambling gets legalized here in the United States and we could really have some interesting wagering discussions on this forum (though I will admit to have found other ways to get a little action in on some contests).
                      Me too OB. More compelling matchups are needed to keep boxing relevant . on another note, There's a clip from ES NEWS that says Garcia invited Porter into the ring. Its funny......While Porter's dad claims Garcia had nothing to do with it. Porter senior also claims that fights between the welters are already scheduled far in advance by the ahem..." boxing illuminati " in so many words on ThaBoxingVoice today.
                      The real truth is anybodies guess. But Pops claims a fight with Spence is inevitable but not today....I'll settle for Shawn P vs Garcia in the interim as well.

I personally dont gamble, but opening up betting for sports nationwide sure wont hurt the economy. Good comments .

Comment

This fight was over as soon as it was signed. Rios is done. I don't like to watch setups like this.

Comment

All that profanity was gratuitous and quite the turn off.

Look at me now ma, no class on cable TV! I swear!

Comment

I heard a guy make a great point today about interviewing fighters after they get knocked out.......it is a disservice to shove a mic into a fighters face when he doesn't have his wits about himself...while making emotional declarations and spouting nonsense. Rios didnt sound too good.

Comment

Look what Merchant did to Moochie on HBO!

Comment

Working...
                              X