Linares Outpoints Campbell To Retain WBA Title

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linares Outpoints Campbell To Retain WBA Title

Linares Outpoints Campbell To Retain WBA Title - Jorge Linares won a split decision victory over Luke Campbell on HBO Saturday night to retain his WBA belt.

Linares called out WBC world champion Mikey Garcia in his post fight interview, meaning there may be a title unification bout in the works at lightweight. Check out this TBC segment for quick results and highlights from Saturday night's fights.

Saturday, September 23rd, 2017 - Forum, Inglewood, CA

135 LBS 12 RDS: Jorge Linares def Luke Campbell via SD (115-113,113-114,115-112)
    122 LBS 10 RDS: Azat Hovhannisyan def Sergio Frias via UD.
    135 LBS 8 RDS: Romero Duno def Juan Pablo Sanchez via UD (78-74,78-74,78-74)
    130 LBS 8 RDS: Abraham Lopez def Isao Gonzalo Carranza via RTD after 4 RDS.
    122 LBS 6 RDS: Rafael Gramajo def Pedro Melo via UD.

Linares Outpoints Campbell To Retain WBA Title / Check out more boxing news and features at The Sweet Science, where the best boxing writers write.

I had it for Linares 115-112....but it wasn't Jorge's best night. Garcia stops him, no doubt about that in my mind.

Comment

I may be in the minority here but I had Campbell knicking this out by a point. I thought it was really close but in the middle rounds Campbell won many by out working Linares and landed the much sharper punches. It was a good crisp fight and very fun to watch.

I agree that Garcia stops Linares. I also just don't see that fight happening given the politics of the sport. Linares has been to the UK on a few occasions and is well known to the fans over there. A more likely scenario is a unification bout for him with Terry Flanagan. I think Garcia stays at 140 with an eye toward fighting the winner of Lipinets-Kondo in early 2018.

Comment

It was really close but I think the KD and the last couple rounds tilted it.

Comment

Originally posted by GlovedFist View Post
          I had it for Linares 115-112....but it wasn't Jorge's best night. Garcia stops him, no doubt about that in my mind.
          One thing I was thinking afterward was about a Garcia-Campbell fight at 140 (Campbell probably heading up soon anyway). I stated earlier that I think Garcia is targeting the winner of Lipinets-Kondo for a 140 pound belt. But if that doesn't materialize, I wouldn't mind seeing him fight Campbell or fighting Campbell at some point in 2018. And honestly, see Campbell being much for trouble with his height and semi awkward style as a southpaw than Linares would give Garcia. Kind of interested to hear your thoughts on a Garcia-Campbell fight at 140.

Comment

Originally posted by oubobcat View Post
            I may be in the minority here but I had Campbell knicking this out by a point. I thought it was really close but in the middle rounds Campbell won many by out working Linares and landed the much sharper punches. It was a good crisp fight and very fun to watch.

I agree that Garcia stops Linares. I also just don't see that fight happening given the politics of the sport. Linares has been to the UK on a few occasions and is well known to the fans over there. A more likely scenario is a unification bout for him with Terry Flanagan. I think Garcia stays at 140 with an eye toward fighting the winner of Lipinets-Kondo in early 2018.
            You give any hope to Mikey and Cotto going to battle? It is really intriguing with nothing to lose for either fighter. Money to be made, another edition of the Puerto Rico vs. Mexico rivalry, Cotto rides off on the white horse, Garcia looks like a hero for taking on the challenge. Only obstacle I see is the HBO-Showtime television rights.

Comment

If Mikey fights Cotto....he better get a King's ransom because a loss, which is probable - takes him out of another big money fight for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by The Good Doctor View Post

You give any hope to Mikey and Cotto going to battle? It is really intriguing with nothing to lose for either fighter. Money to be made, another edition of the Puerto Rico vs. Mexico rivalry, Cotto rides off on the white horse, Garcia looks like a hero for taking on the challenge. Only obstacle I see is the HBO-Showtime television rights.
                No I am actually not buying that one. Too much to overcome. There are networks, weight,money (both will want to be paid a lot) and other factors. Garcia is hot and has a lot of options between 135 and 147. Cotto will find someone with a name whom he has advantages against. He wants to go out a winner and champion in a big fight but one he'd be fairly sizably favored.

Comment

Mikey...should try to fight Lomachenko after he beats Rigondeaux.

Comment

Working...
                  X