Clear All

• Canelo vs Triple G Results - They Duel To A Draw

Click image for larger version

Name:	21697925_1965074947096866_529513341_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	2736

BY MIGUEL ITURRATE

Canelo vs Triple G Results - The T-Mobile Arena in Las vegas hosted HBO pay-per-view on Saturday night as boxing fans finally got the Saul Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin middleweight showdown.

The IBF, WBA and WBC belts belonging to Golovkin were on the line and from the start you could see the gravitas on Triple G's face. Alvarez was cool and confident at the outset but as the fight entered the middle rounds Golovkin was beginning to dictate the pace and the champion was the much busier fighter. Alvarez landed the bigger punches but he was not busy enough. In the end, the judhes returned a split draw as all three judges came back with different results.

Joseph "JoJo" Diaz took on late replacement Rafael Rivera in a WBC title eliminator for the featherweight title held by Gary Russell Jr. Rivera showed a sturdy chin and he answered Diaz with heavy leather throughout the fight but Diaz was in control throughout the twelve round bout. The judges returned scores of 120-108,119-109-119-109 for Diaz. Rivera stated after the fight that he felt the effects of the weight cut on short notice.

Diego De La Hoya stayed undefeated as he scored a unanimous decision victory over NABF super bantamweight champion Randy Caballero in their ten round title bout. De La Hoya was the stronger, quicker fighter throughout the fight as DLH answered a lot of questions. Caballero was 24-0 heading into the fight was considered a step up in class for De La Hoya in terms of opponent, but De La Hoya went home with the NABF belt in relatively easy fashion.

TSS staff is on site at the T-Mobile Arena and will be filing reports throughout the weekend. Check back later for more details. You can review the quick results below.

Saturday, September 16th, 2017 – T-Mobile Arena, Las, Vegas, NV

160 LBS 12 RDS: Saul Alvarez draw Gennady Golovkin (118-110, 115-113, 114-114)
    126 LBS 12 RDS: Joseph Diaz def Rafael Rivera via UD (120-108,119-109-119-109)
    122 LBS 10 RDS: Diego De La Hoya def Randy Caballero via UD (100-90,98-92,98-92)
    135 LBS 10 RDS: Ryan Martin def Francisco Rojo via SD (91-98,96-93,95-94)
    112 LBS 4×2 RDS: Marlen Esparza def Tania Cosme via UD (6o-54,60-54,60-54)

Canelo vs Triple G / Check out more boxing news on video at The Boxing Channel.

Unfortunately, a terrific fight is ruined by a scorecard that appears to have been filled out in advance. For the record, my card was 116-112 for Golovkin. He landed the cleaner harder punches in the majority of rounds. 115-113 I can certainly see as can I see 114-114. If all three judges had turned in 114-114 cards, I would not have been outraged. Its plausible though I would have disagreed. But 118-110 for Canelo is just terrible. No way Golokvin won only two rounds (four and seven were the rounds on that card given to Golovkin).

Enough on the scoring. The fight itself was terrific. I was on the edge of my seat throughout. Yes more a boxing match than we anticipated but a high level one at that with moments of explosion. Before the cards were announced, I said regardless of who won lets do it again. So lets do it again (and hopefully sooner than May 2018).

Comment

A really compelling fight, somewhat tarnished by one truly scandalous scorecard - Adelaide Byrd should not be allowed anywhere near a boxing ring again.

Comment

In the auxiliary press section high up in the arena there were gasps of shocked disbelief when Adalaide Byrd's score (118-110 for Canelo) was read.

In November of last year, Byrd judged the match between Nonito Donaire and Jessie Magdaleno. She had it 118-110 for Magadaleno, which was perhaps the right side, but way too wide. At the post-fight press-conference, the event's promoter, Bob Arum, said that Byrd should never be allowed to judge again.

There is something wrong with an athletic commission that gives this important, lucrative, and coveted assignment to a judge whose work has been so spotty.

Comment

Originally posted by ArneK. View Post
          In the auxiliary press section high up in the arena there were gasps of shocked disbelief when Adalaide Byrd's score (118-110 for Canelo) was read.

In November of last year, Byrd judged the match between Nonito Donaire and Jessie Magdaleno. She had it 118-110 for Magadaleno, which was perhaps the right side, but way too wide. At the post-fight press-conference, the event's promoter, Bob Arum, said that Byrd should never be allowed to judge again.

There is something wrong with an athletic commission that gives this important, lucrative, and coveted assignment to a judge whose work has been so spotty.

If memory serves, a few weeks later Top Rank had the Lomachenko-Walters card in Vegas and objected to Byrd being assigned to work the main event. The commission declined and Bob Bennett stated the same line he is now saying stating that sometimes judges have just have bad nights.

Comment

By the way, I saw one interesting Twitter post on the scoring of this fight. It came from Caleb Truax, who is a solid fighter in his own right. He stated "Both guys are multi-millionaires who will double up on the rematch. Cards like Byrd's wreck careers in smaller fights." He is right. I have been to my share of club shows and seen my share of bad scoring. I have seen fighters who were not supposed to win get hosed on the cards and nobody knows what actually occurred in the ring. Unfortunately, since those fights are not widely viewed we tend to take the official result as what occurred in the ring for those fights. Bob Bennett defending the card as a bad night is a shame. Yes Golovkin and Canelo will be fine in the end. The made a lot of money. But what about bad nights judging on smaller shows turning in cards that could have a major impact on someone's life and career?

Comment

116/113 for GGG ...he was the aggressor the whole fight and and landed and worked every second of every round ...yes he got hit but that's what happens when you press the fight ...GGG showed he could box also lots of subtle moves ...was a treat to watch ...canelo put on a good show also being able to put up with that relentless pressure and had his moments .. just not enough ...Rematch anyone ?

Comment

I had it 116-112 Golovkin....I thought both were underwhelming and the fight was good but certainly not memorable.

Comment

The Nevada commission is useless, completely. Byrd's reputation as a bad judge has bee around for years. Guess what guys, they let her do MMAtoo, its all the same thing after all. It is the worst sort of nepotism. I will point out that it also makes Mayweather Jr a big ***-clown as he called the NV commission the best commision in th world, sure they stood by and grabbed cash for 20 years. Doesnt anyone care about the actual competition and sport anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by GlovedFist View Post
                    I had it 116-112 Golovkin....I thought both were underwhelming and the fight was good but certainly not memorable.
                    Bingo

Comment

Originally posted by oubobcat View Post
                      By the way, I saw one interesting Twitter post on the scoring of this fight. It came from Caleb Truax, who is a solid fighter in his own right. He stated "Both guys are multi-millionaires who will double up on the rematch. Cards like Byrd's wreck careers in smaller fights." He is right. I have been to my share of club shows and seen my share of bad scoring. I have seen fighters who were not supposed to win get hosed on the cards and nobody knows what actually occurred in the ring. Unfortunately, since those fights are not widely viewed we tend to take the official result as what occurred in the ring for those fights. Bob Bennett defending the card as a bad night is a shame. Yes Golovkin and Canelo will be fine in the end. The made a lot of money. But what about bad nights judging on smaller shows turning in cards that could have a major impact on someone's life and career?
                      Good points. Teddy Atlas makes the same points in one of hysterical rants. Byrd needs to be fired forthwith.

Comment

Originally posted by miguel1 View Post
                        The Nevada commission is useless, completely. Byrd's reputation as a bad judge has bee around for years. Guess what guys, they let her do MMAtoo, its all the same thing after all. It is the worst sort of nepotism. I will point out that it also makes Mayweather Jr a big ***-clown as he called the NV commission the best commision in th world, sure they stood by and grabbed cash for 20 years. Doesnt anyone care about the actual competition and sport anymore?
                        Yes useless

Comment

Originally posted by oubobcat View Post
                          Fair point, but the pride of holding all the hardware at 160 LB is no small matter.

Comment

Originally posted by miguel1 View Post

Byrd cements her entry into the Boxing Hall of Shame along with CJ Ross and Eugenia Williams. --- and even Latham for that matter. These people should not be allowed to do what they do, As for Bennett, once again he has some explaining to do. Enough of this garbage. Start using more out-of-state judges like Trella and enough of this talk of the judges before a fight. It's too tight of a community.

Comment

Working...
                            X