English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Manny Pacquiao-Brandon Rios Is On For Nov. 24, in Macau

Manny Pacquiao-Brandon Rios Is On For Nov. 24, in Macau

Manny Pacquiao is in a place he has never been before, since he turned professional in 1995. He is coming off back to back losses, having dropped a mega-controversial decision to Tim Bradley last June, and then a KO6 loss to Juan Manuel Marquez in December.
    Pacman (seen in above Chris Farina-Top Rank photo), who turns 35 in December, seeks to right the ship with a Nov. 24 scrap in Macau against rugged rumbler Brandon Rios, the Texas-born California resident who is himself coming off a loss.
    Yahoo's Kevin Iole first reported the news of the Pacquiao-Rios faceoff.
    Rios, age 27, lost a UD12 to Mike Alvarado in a terrific faceoff March 30; he will try to keep himself from making it two in a row at the Venetian Resort, in the "administrative region" of China, which is a gambling mecca.
    Macau is 12 hours ahead of people who adhere to an Eastern Time Zone, so the bout, to be promoted by Top Rank and distributed on HBO pay-per-view, will unfold on a Saturday morning, so US watchers can feel at home watching it at night.
    Promoter Bob Arum has been actively dissing what he feels are the confiscatory tax policies of the federal government in the US, and some states as well; Arum has said for months he'd like to place the next Pacman bout in a zone where the revenue wouldn't be subject to the in-his-eyes ultra-sticky fingers of the taxman. Macau would seem to fit the bill. Top Rank got a taste of the region and did a dry run on April 6, when they staged the pro debut of Chinese Olympian Zou Shiming.
    I was certain that we'd see another Pacquiao-Juan Manuel Marquez fight in the fall, and made no secret of my belief that Marquez' protestations that he wasn't keen on another Pacquiao tussle were mere negotiating rhetoric. But the Mexican boxer told the LA Times' Lance Pugmire that he's done fighting the Filipino, that he wants his Dec. 8, 2012 victory to remain the last image in their rivalry. So, instead of making a career best payday for a fifth fight against pacman, he will fight Pacquiao "conqueror" Timothy Bradley in September.
    Readers, we want to hear from you. Do you like the Pacquiao-Rios scrap? Is Rios, a come forward banger who tends to neglect defense, tailor made for Manny, who didn't deal well with Marquez' counterpunching in his last bout? Could Rios tweak his game, tighten up the D, and propel himself with volume and grit to a win which could spell the end of Pacman's career? Weigh in!

Re: Manny Pacquiao-Brandon Rios Is On For Nov. 24, in Macau

Rios IS tailor made for Manny. He is the smaller man, coming up in weight. He will come right after it. Can he take the Pacman's best punch? Rios has taken some good shots over the years. Rios will bring it. I wonder what happens if or when Manny takes a bomb on the jaw. Can HE take it? Some fighters are never the same after a KO like that. Think Roy Jones Jr. First Tarver then Johnson, back to back, never the same fighter. I like the fight. Do not get up to get a beer. This one might be over quick.

Advanced Users

I don't like this bout. But Da Manny is fine. Not an ounce of the Roy Jones Jr syndrome after Roy fought Tarver and Johnson. Holla!

Rios is the bigger guy.

He drys out and rehydrated heavy.

Won't matter, he'll be rushing into pacmans

destroying thunderous shots.

I hope PAC doesn't ruin him for life.

Expect a lot of fireworks with PAC knocking rios out with a furious

combination.

Then all will be asking for PAC Floyd again only to never get it.

What happened to Mike Alvarado?? Rios didn't earn the shot, Mike did!!

This fight has fireworks written all over it. With the number of clean punches that Rios has taken in his two fights with Alvarado in particular, I wonder if his chin might give out on him in the near future. He has never really shown much aptitude for defense, and he comes straight in. Logic would dictate that he's made to order for Pacquiao, but we don't honestly know how much Pacquiao has left at age 34 and after getting starched in his last fight. In my opinion, he started showing signs of slippage in the Margarito fight. I see Pacquiao scoring a mid rounds stoppage, but don't get up to get a beer. I wouldn't be surprised if both fighters hit the canvas in this one.

Perfect fight for Manny, he needs a tune up after the loss. Rios will come straight forward like all pacquiao's victims at welterweight, allowing manny to work angles. Will Manny be the same? Can Rios land a few big shots to change the fight? We shall see indeed

Advanced Users

You can sell fight fans any piece of jive, and they will buy it. Guerrero had such a great chance against 36-year-old Floyd. Now Rios has such a great chance against 34-year-old Manny. WOW! A sucka is born every second, and they stay that way every minute of their lives looking for imaginary conclusions.

Bytch-arses Big Foot and Hulkquez stayed away from this fight because they are on that syet and don't want to be tested by VADA. They rather pridefight for a mil and a half a piece. Rios has cojones and is going to get fudged up for a BIG PAYDAY of $3.5mil.

Stories of Da Manny's demise and aging are greatly exaggerated. Neither 34 or 36 are aged in boxing or anytype of sport anymore. The public need to catch up with the times that we live in. And somebody needs to tell 'em that 34 or 36 ain't what it was 50 years ago or even 20 years ago.

I know that the average Joes and some of the hos find it difficult to suck up, but athletes' bodies and minds have gone through longevity evolution. Holla!
    Last edited by Radam G; 05-07-2013 at 01:45 PM.

I agree Radam. All together.

36 is old if you are playing professional football

as a running back.

But not boxing, depending upon your style and the punishment

u have taken or take.

This is Pac vs Margarito 2. Even the same trainers.