English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what made u a boxing fan?

what made u a boxing fan?

I don't venture in here much, but everytime i do, it's good posts from usually the same guys... just wondering where u guys r from and what fight did u see that made u a boxing fan

for me, Im from San Antonio, texas... ex fighter..amatuer, two time GG champ, back in my day.

for me, i grew up watching Tony Ayala... although he wasn't much of a person out of the ring, in the ring, he was just a beast. To this day, i've never seen body punches thrown like he threw... every now and again, u'd here a snap where he had cracked someone rib. He was a viscious body puncher. I remember Tony going to the nationals... Tony Ayala was 5 foot 7, pudgy... the taller black fighters litterally made fun of him... i even heard "WETBACK" and other derogatory words said of him... i remember Ayala's dad telling him, "rip his heart out"..Ayala replied"I'm gunna kill him"... true story. Those guys never knew what hit them.

watching little red fight Salvador Sanchez...

watching Alexis Arguello in the gym... man, what a class act. What a great looking fighter. I know ur asking, what is a great looking fighter?... Arguello was like "the fonz" in the gym. He made jumping rope look kool... really, i don't know how to say it, but the guy was all class.

Re: what made u a boxing fan?

My dad made me a boxing fan. I started watching with him when I was 4 years old.
    His favorite fighters were Hagler and Duran among others.
    I was in and out of the gym more for athletic development and endurance than to lead
    to an amateur or pro path. I excelled with basketball and baseball
    to such extent that by late high school baseball was the chosen path.
    A few years after college and no more baseball I got back into boxing
    to continue being athletic, and having some sort of competitive nature.
    I still spar and work out but it's limited because I'm a single dad.
    But when I do I try to get better and work on the craft.

Welcome BigStinkyBug.

I became a boxing fan as soon as I realised how hard it was just to practice in a manner where you were pleased with yourself, how many dimensions to the game there was, and how superbly good the champions at the game must be.

Watching tapes of Mohammed Ali made me addict

How bout running and thinking ur in shape... then sparring a good 5 minute round where in the end, u can hardly hold ur arms up...lol...that's crazy.

Advanced Users

Bigstinkybug, you will know exactly who I am if I give that shoutout info. Just telling that story about "El Torito," set me off about your ID. But you proved my point -- size doesn't matter. Baby Bull beat the syet outta those "wetback-"calling knuckled-headed racists. Race superior-thinking and size-superior thinking don't apply in that squared jungle.

BTW, all the Ayala brothers were superbad @sses who used to fudge up stereotypes. The youngest Paulie -- not to be mixed up with the Fort Worth Paulie Ayala -- shoulda, coulda, woulda been the best one, but his @ss was too spoiled and on the lazy side. I enjoyed fighting with Mr. Ayala and in international competition in which he was the national coach. Holla!
    Last edited by Radam G; 03-24-2013 at 10:53 PM.

Just learning that defense takes more effort and energy than offense
    was an eye opener.

It's easier to run 2 miles than spar a round of boxing.

Amayseng running 4 miles is easier then to spar a round of boxing lol.

Ali no argument there!!

Ha

Advanced Users

Mike Ayala was a smoother operator with speedy punches to burn. But I loved that sweet-fighting, superslick quick southpaw Sammy. He was Pernell Whitaker with awesome punching power before Sweetpea developed into Sweetpea. Holla!