English Español
Advertisement
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Floyd Doesn't Always Get His Facts Straight

Re: Floyd Doesn't Always Get His Facts Straight

During the lead up to Floyd's fight with Oscar, Floyd talked absolute rubbish then too.

It was remarkable that DeLa Hoya held it together through it all. At times Floyd talked so much waffle he literally – and I mean literally – couldn’t stop, control himself or consider the value of thinking and/or letting logic drive his mouth.

Part of it was that he solidly believed he was going to beat Oscar and in his mind it was now only a matter of time before big time fame and money was his; so he couldn’t help himself, as he was intoxicated with it all.

Plus he knew the more he jacked off Oscar the easier the fight would be.

At one stage (Oscar had recently opened a school in East LA) Floyd was up at the podium, in front of everyone that would be at a huge promotion like that, saying stuff like, . . "Oh I'm Oscar DeLa Hoya, I'm going to build a school - Oh I'm Oscar DeLa Hoya I'm going to this - Oh I'm Oscar DeLa Hoya I'm going to that" - then he turned to Oscar and said . . . "Oh I'm Oscar DeLa Hoya I aint going to do shite".

It was as funny – perhaps only equaled by how much Oscar was completely peeved off.

But that was the best of it from Floyd – the rest was dribble.

Anyway, I guess it worked. As he got under Oscar's skin, and as a result Oscar then failed to fight without; excess nervous tension, unnecessarily expending energy, and, being relaxed as possible - which I believe is one necessary ingredient required to successfully compete against Mayweather - even if you don’t win.

Before light welterweight Floyd was hard to fault and probably won’t get too much ribbing, from a historical perspective, for his matchmaking.

However, at light welterweight and above; I’m not sure.

Yep, (as mentioned in other threads by other posters here) Sugar Ray Robinson did avoid some guys.

History has it that Charley Burley was one. But if ever someone deserved to avoid someone; it was SRR. Not in the least as, unlike Floyd, he had faced a murderers row of opponents before, and after, then.

And this is the thing in my opinion. SRR met an awful lot of serious and dangerous opponents head on, and he often walked up into the ring knowing that only with an utterly outstanding performance would his hand be raised.

Such was the competition and the frequency of it for SRR.

Furthermore, SRR was not afraid to lose - it was usually more of a concern for him to have not tried in his, and the fan’s, eyes.

There are so many dangerous and seriously capable SRR opponents, that any of the several that were dangerous challenges that he fought; could easily be what Pacquiao is/was to Mayweather.

However, above light welterweight I think the only guy that Floyd is really unsure that he will beat – just happens to be the guy that he has avoided.

And that's the main difference in my opinion.

Sure Floyd went on and fought Cotto without making him starve (and it was a good fight). But by then, for Floyd, Cotto was as battle worn as his style was known and understood. So there was a safety margin there for Floyd.

Also, Cotto doesn't have really fast hands, and he struggled with (lost to IMO) Mosley; which was another reason that made him less dangerous when TMT assessed that fight and Floyd’s “O”.

It’s hard to imagine SRR approaching; La Motta, Turpin, Olson, Basilio, Graziano, Maxim, and Fullmer (to name a few) with the same cautious, defensive pretexts, and safety first mindset – as Mayweather does some of his dangerous opponents.

Yet that is what Mayweather must do, in my opinion, to be compared to SRR; as Floyd insists he is as good as – if not better. You can do the same with Ali’s record and Mayweather’s claims. As Floyd has previously stated he is better than Muhammad Ali.

When you read through SRR's record, there are just so many tough challenges there that represent – at least multiple instances of the challenge Pacquiao is to Mayweather - for SRR.

Even with that brief assessment; there is no way Floyd is in the same boat as SRR IMO.

However Floyd is brilliant in this era, albeit with the careful and selective approach he has taken with some opponents.

So, in my view, you can’t talk too much more rubbish in boxing than when you compare yourself to Ali or SRR; whilst avoiding the first seriously dangerous challenge there is that you may not only lose, but also get knocked out.

Ward is cut from a different cloth than Floyd, and Floyd knows it.

The fact that Ward is genuinely popular, a proven quantity and liked for all the right reasons; annoys Floyd and makes him jealous, and that’s why he talks the rubbish he does about Ward.

Floyd’s insecurity kicks in and psychologically he simply cant handle knowing the knowledgeable boxing public have a skilled gold medalist whom not only takes risks, but has also proven himself; to gauge Floyd against.

Ward’s skills, confidence, sincerity and the determination he showed during the middleweight tournament; speaks of a fighter with qualities that Floyd is envious and bothered about.

In fact Ward, at this stage of his career, is a far better facsimile of SRR than Floyd is.
    Last edited by stormcentre; 03-14-2013 at 08:16 AM.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Radam G View Post
    Wow! Just so that you will know there are 10 questions on Sugar Ray Robinson's resume about who he would not fight or give a rematch to. Plus the Sugarman got five gifts according know-their-syet witnesses, tons of archives, the FBI, DIA and the Library of Congress. Even weak boxrec has documentation of the gifts given to the Sugar one. The boxer, who has not ducked and "cherry pick opponents" cast the first stone!"

That is what I thought! In the Filipino Waray accent of my Tio Mamoy: "Ev'y muthapucka great boksinero duck and padded his record."

Sugar Ray Robinson and Jack Dempsey are the only superchampions who used boxers' color, ethnicites and races to duck them. Everybody who ever box has at least an iota of seediness and bullsyetology in him/her. A spade is a spade. I will always call it that and not try to hide in the shade. Holla!

Ali & Marciano to name two. I could name 1,000 fighters who feared no one and ducked no one. World Champions and world contenders to be precise.

Advanced Users

Not TRUE, ddv! GOAT Ali ducked the heck outta a rematch with Doug[las] Jones after getting a HIGHLY disputed, close decision. Holla at the bout on Youtube or Daily Motion. The GOAT also ducked Ken Norton in a WBC-ordered fourth match and then lost to "Neon" Leon Spinks. I was a toddler at both Norton and Spinks bouts in 1976 and 1978. I don't have a personal remembrance of the Norton bout. But I have a CLEAR one of the Spinks's bout, because -- for one thing -- Mr. T was Leon's bodyguard and was spooking da holy hebejebeez outta my bad @ss. I kept eyeballing that dark-shades-wearing [then] chocolate-colored Hulk-looking kick@ss and talking jive even back then. Hehehe! [Now Mr. T is/was never full of roids or PEDs. After he befriended me, gave me a bit roll in his television episode -- "The A Team" -- he made me drink cow milk. And you know that is so terrible-tasting jive.]

You can probably find a lot of that jive on Youtube: The Mr. T stare down at me, Richard Pryor's daughter, GOAT Ali's daughter and son [if I recall correctly]. Plus holla at the tape of how Neon Leon Spinks was always gettin' on his dance to start off his training sessions. OMFG! Those were some crazy days. Hehehe!

BTW, don't believe the hype that no boxer does not have ducks -- I mean skeletons -- in his/her closet. Holla!

Floyd is busy running his mouth to sell tickets. Both guys are incredible fighters but as human beings one is full of class and the other is a turd.

Administrator

Radam, the man fought Foreman, which is the closest thing the world will ever experience to 'Man vs. Train' with man winning. I see no Marciano response so I'll stay in New England and add Willie Pep, Marvin Hagler and Vinnie Pazienza. Then I'll go back to Louisville if need be.

Advanced Users

You probably won't get a response to Mariciano. There just rumors about him coming back from retirement. That doesn't count. It is all right to duck muthasucka when you have retired and are considering a comeback. Rocky did whup da GOAT Ali in that computer bout. Holla!

Advanced Users

Pep, Hagler and Paz did slide and duck. For one thing Hagler paid off Don Curry to not fight Leonard, so that he could. Then he refused to fight Curry. Holla!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Radam G View Post
    Pep, Hagler and Paz did slide and duck. For one thing Hagler paid off Don Curry to not fight Leonard, so that he could. Then he refused to fight Curry. Holla!
    No. Hagler's last fight with Leonard marked the end. He went into a funk, felt he was cheated. (Maybe yes, maybe no.) He in no way ever ducked anyone. Also, I don't recall any step aside money paid to Donald. Didn't have to, they were fighting for Marvin's title, not Ray's. As for the others, I need names, Radam, I need names!

Advanced Users

Marvin Hagler ducked out of a verbally agreed fight with Don Curry. Curry sued! The court found the sue legit -- no syet! The Marvelous One and Sugar Ray Leonard and company paid Curry BIG step-aside moolah and a promise that he'd fight the winner. Holla at TSS super-investigative boxing journalist S-To! He can find a Hagler invisible single hair on that bald head on a wolf arse that MMH did roadwork by.

As the Marvelous One fought a small Duran, he was going to do it to a Curry too. But he ducked to dance with the Sugarman.

Vinnie Paz gave up his four minor belts and refused to meet the top contenders in those alphabet minor sanctioning organizations overseas, especially in South Africa.

A young Willie Pep refused to go to Paris to get it on with the alphabet-sanctioning organization's top gun.

Just so that you will know, corrupted alphabet-sanctioning organization have always been around. Technically Homicide Hank Armstrong didn't hold three major belts at one time. In his days, states had their own world-sanctioning organizations. New York state was the most powerful and known one.

C'mon, ddv! You know that I'm not going to be a pointman for boxing trues and falsities. Tell the Universe scribes to holla me wrong if they can. Holla!
    Last edited by Radam G; 03-14-2013 at 06:36 PM.

Advanced Users

Ddv, you can probably Google all of this jive. And I will be proven 100-percent right. Ducking -- depending on your definition -- is just as much a part of the game as jabbing and hooking. Holla!