English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Floyd Doesn't Always Get His Facts Straight

Floyd Doesn't Always Get His Facts Straight

Floyd Mayweather is the most popular fighter in boxing, maybe the most popular athlete in sports, but he doesn’t always get his facts straight.
    In an interesting gripe today between Floyd Mayweather and Andre Ward , arguably the recognized heir to the pound for pound throne, on fighthype.com, Mayweather took a poke at the Bay Area champ. “The only people that know him are in the boxing world. Floyd Mayweather is a worldwide celebrity,” Mayweather told the website. Apparently Mayweather didn’t think kindly of Andre Ward’s decision to cheer for fellow Bay Area native Robert Guerrero to beat Mayweather in their upcoming May 4th fight.
    Floyd continued, “I sold out an arena in the Bay Area maybe 12 or 13 years ago. Listen, I don’t know how many people exactly live in Oakland, but I love the fans in Oakland. Not knocking Andre Ward, but he can’t sell tickets nowhere. This is the only guy I know that’s a gold medalist, but nobody know he’s a gold medalist.”
    Ward’s response, “If Floyd Mayweather has a problem with me or something that I said, he can pick up the phone and we can talk about it like men.”
    It’s hard to gauge where Floyd’s gripe comes from because Ward publicly praises Mayweather’s fight game. Then again, Ward is not a Mayweather “yes man,” and seems cut from a different cloth socially. He is not an Adrian Broner prototype, a Mayweather mini-me. Ward is a different dude.
    Here is the truth. On November 10th, 2001, Floyd Mayweather vs. Jesus Chavez did not sell out the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco. As a matter of fact, the 7,000-seat arena where Mayweather held his 27th fight was also the longtime home of the boxing golden gloves in the Bay Area. And according to sources, many of the tickets for that Mayweather fight against Jesus Chavez were given away for free.
    Meanwhile Ward has only fought 26 times so far in his career. And when he fights in the Bay, it is in the Oracle Arena, not a ballroom. He also competes with the Raiders, Oakland A’s, 49ers, and the Giants in the Bay Area to promote those events. According to sources, Ward’s last fight against Chad Dawson did a gate of over one million dollars. And before Ward jumped on the HBO ship, the Bay Area fights he had were not financially driven by Al Haymon or one of the prominent promotional teams of Golden Boy and Top Rank, respectfully speaking. After 26 fights Andre Ward is the best fighter in the sport or somewhere close to it, while Mayweather was struggling to sell out auditoriums at the same point in his career.
    There is no knocking the status of Mayweather. But maybe he should practice some humility. Perhaps he deserves praise based solely on the merit of his long-standing reign at or near the top of the boxing heap, but his empire was not built overnight and he rode the backs of other boxing stars before making it to the top. When Mayweather fought Arturo Gatti and Oscar De La Hoya he was on the B side of the promotion. And those were English fans screaming for Ricky Hatton in 2007, not Floyd’s.

Re: Floyd Doesn't Always Get His Facts Straight

Uh-oh. I hear Ali and B-Sug on the way. Where is Real Talk?

The Son Of God vs the self made WWE money villain. In God Andre trust, but, Benjamin's are Floyd's must. The fight would totally sell but too bad weight separates 'em. Damn. Excellent match up...

Advanced Users

Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Dangit! My bad! I should've told Money May back then that the gate was inflated. In the Bay area, Money May couldn't wear SOG's jockstrap. BTW, Money May has never sold out a place in his own state of Michigan. I guess he is just bulljiving to build the Sin City gate for his ghost beatdown with the Cali Ghost.

Anyway! Check the records! Money May is the only O-Game medalist who cannot sellout an arena of more than 5,000 in his own residing city of his birth. Holla!

I couldn't agree more with this article Mayweather got his panties in a bunch cuz Ward said he's rootingfor the ghost. That's his boi Robert goes to Ward fights and supports him this nigg@ is gets way to emotional about weak sh!t.

deepwater

Bravo good article . Ward acts like a man . Floyd has mental issues and split personality disorder.

Money comes and goes (especially with floyd's gambling habits) but legends are immortal. When it's all said and done, Floyd will not be mentioned in the same group as Robinson, Armstrong, Ali, Leonard, Duran, etc. But Ward is earning his way there, much respect to S.O.G. Floyd has even admitted that he'd rather have more money in the bank than be remembered as the greatest, ignorant a** fool

Damn Floyd have a little humility

Advanced Users

Wow! Let's not get too emotional. Despite all Money May's emotional illnesses, he will be mentioned in the same group as the above. Both Sugarmen suffered from mental misbehaviors and beating the hebejebeeez outta their wives. And Duran even once cussed at Leonard's wife while rubbing himself. And Homicide Hank Armstrong "did a lot of dirt before getting saved," in his own words.

Money May is just finding angles to build up the hater crowd that will be spending its earning to see him beat. All is fair in love and war -- seedy-@$$, two-faced boxing -- "The threatre of the unexpected." Money May is just playin' crazy game. And it is what the late, great Richard Pryor stole from the late, great promoter Tex Rickard: $howmanship by having "yo (N-word) to act crazy and fool the crazy-@$$ (fanfaronades) out of their money."

Oh, YUP! Boxing is enterainment words, wits and syet talk. Holla!

Well said, Radam. I entirely agree.

Someone sent me a copy of that Fighthype interview earlier this morning but I didn't bother reading it. The entire MAyweather clan does a lot talking but ain't saying much of anything new. It's all repetitive bullshit designed for a reaction. Fighthype is aite of a site but they're definitely reminding me of the same relationship Boxingtalk.com once had with Floyd(boxing talk has totally declined- nothing but press releases these days). They let him run a muck on their site ...never asked any compelling questions or challenged him on anything .. G. Leon was just starstruck and happy to have Floyd on the phone. Same routine is now going down over at this other boxing site.
    Last edited by SouthPaul; 03-13-2013 at 10:46 PM.