English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floyd Doesn't Always Get His Facts Straight

Hybrid View

Floyd Doesn't Always Get His Facts Straight

Floyd Mayweather is the most popular fighter in boxing, maybe the most popular athlete in sports, but he doesn’t always get his facts straight.
    In an interesting gripe today between Floyd Mayweather and Andre Ward , arguably the recognized heir to the pound for pound throne, on fighthype.com, Mayweather took a poke at the Bay Area champ. “The only people that know him are in the boxing world. Floyd Mayweather is a worldwide celebrity,” Mayweather told the website. Apparently Mayweather didn’t think kindly of Andre Ward’s decision to cheer for fellow Bay Area native Robert Guerrero to beat Mayweather in their upcoming May 4th fight.
    Floyd continued, “I sold out an arena in the Bay Area maybe 12 or 13 years ago. Listen, I don’t know how many people exactly live in Oakland, but I love the fans in Oakland. Not knocking Andre Ward, but he can’t sell tickets nowhere. This is the only guy I know that’s a gold medalist, but nobody know he’s a gold medalist.”
    Ward’s response, “If Floyd Mayweather has a problem with me or something that I said, he can pick up the phone and we can talk about it like men.”
    It’s hard to gauge where Floyd’s gripe comes from because Ward publicly praises Mayweather’s fight game. Then again, Ward is not a Mayweather “yes man,” and seems cut from a different cloth socially. He is not an Adrian Broner prototype, a Mayweather mini-me. Ward is a different dude.
    Here is the truth. On November 10th, 2001, Floyd Mayweather vs. Jesus Chavez did not sell out the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco. As a matter of fact, the 7,000-seat arena where Mayweather held his 27th fight was also the longtime home of the boxing golden gloves in the Bay Area. And according to sources, many of the tickets for that Mayweather fight against Jesus Chavez were given away for free.
    Meanwhile Ward has only fought 26 times so far in his career. And when he fights in the Bay, it is in the Oracle Arena, not a ballroom. He also competes with the Raiders, Oakland A’s, 49ers, and the Giants in the Bay Area to promote those events. According to sources, Ward’s last fight against Chad Dawson did a gate of over one million dollars. And before Ward jumped on the HBO ship, the Bay Area fights he had were not financially driven by Al Haymon or one of the prominent promotional teams of Golden Boy and Top Rank, respectfully speaking. After 26 fights Andre Ward is the best fighter in the sport or somewhere close to it, while Mayweather was struggling to sell out auditoriums at the same point in his career.
    There is no knocking the status of Mayweather. But maybe he should practice some humility. Perhaps he deserves praise based solely on the merit of his long-standing reign at or near the top of the boxing heap, but his empire was not built overnight and he rode the backs of other boxing stars before making it to the top. When Mayweather fought Arturo Gatti and Oscar De La Hoya he was on the B side of the promotion. And those were English fans screaming for Ricky Hatton in 2007, not Floyd’s.

Re: Floyd Doesn't Always Get His Facts Straight

Uh-oh. I hear Ali and B-Sug on the way. Where is Real Talk?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Uh-oh. I hear Ali and B-Sug on the way. Where is Real Talk?
    Hello Dave..
    I read 40 or 50 boxing articles a day and watch hours worth of historical boxing video every week on YouTube just because I'm just that kind of fanatic when it comes to my favorite sport. So you know I had something to say about Floyd's most recent media gaffe.

Ward has supported Floyd in the media every since his acomplishments in the supersix earned him access to a pulpit with which he can speak to the entire boxing community.

Even when Floyd was mired in scandal from his domestic abuse case.... and received universal criticizm for sucker punching Ortiz....Ward refused the opportunity to publicly speak non-supportively of him...even saying that he was himself a bit of a protégé of Floyd's boxing style. The ultimate compliment.

Mayweathers' comments cannot be condoned by any boxing fan who lives in the context of the real world. Floyd's lack of concept of things spiritual is embarrassing for a man his age. Floyd could benefit himself by letting Ward mentor him in this area so that he doesn't make the grievous error of speaking out of context again about things he couldn't possibly comprehend.

When it comes to rash outbursts... Floyd is the king of compulsive comments... the more competitive the upcoming fight...the more irrational the comments..expect more of these random outbursts as the Guerrero fight draws closer.

deepwater

Bravo good article . Ward acts like a man . Floyd has mental issues and split personality disorder.

Money comes and goes (especially with floyd's gambling habits) but legends are immortal. When it's all said and done, Floyd will not be mentioned in the same group as Robinson, Armstrong, Ali, Leonard, Duran, etc. But Ward is earning his way there, much respect to S.O.G. Floyd has even admitted that he'd rather have more money in the bank than be remembered as the greatest, ignorant a** fool

Floyd is busy running his mouth to sell tickets. Both guys are incredible fighters but as human beings one is full of class and the other is a turd.

Quote Originally Posted by McHomer View Post
    Floyd is busy running his mouth to sell tickets. Both guys are incredible fighters but as human beings one is full of class and the other is a turd.
    Nice words McHomer,... not trying to pick on your words... but I think Mayweather is more multidimentional,... he's definitely a turd on the build up to a fight... but afterwards I do believe he does infact learn from his mistakes.
    StormCentre summed it up by saying Floyd pumps himself up into a near Berzerker Mode verbally during hype mode...
    However it doesn't totally define the true character of the man.

Are we calling ducking the avoidance of a fight because of fear of getting beat? Or is ducking avoiding a fight because there is a better opportunity to make more money fighting another opponent but if the guy you "ducked" to fight the second guy offered more money you would have fought the first guy? Some fighters avoid because of fear, some avoid because financially there are better things on the horizon. I don't mind the second kind of "ducker". Especially if they fight really good fighters that have a really good chance. They should get paid well for that.

Advanced Users

If Floyd would have done what Andre has spent the last five years doing, beating all of the best men in his divsion, Then I would listen to this drivel and give him his props but the fact is, he hasn't.

He has wasted the last five years at welter picking and choosing his opponents, missing too many opportunities to fight the best at their best, for me to care what he has to say.

@ Dave B, Real Talk keeps it 100 an I agree with this article. If I was around Floyd an in his circle he would know. He could read my face or I would tell him we got business to handle and focus, but then again what do I know...this could be promoting. This is good pub for Andre Ward and from a promotion perspective it's gold. Some of the things he said rubbed me the wrong way but that's what Floyd does, he moves you one way or the other and he's the formula down cold. On top of that he's training and dieting and I don't know about ya'll but that makes me real mean and grouchy. May and Ward are two of my favorite fighters along with Hopkins because I appreciate the styles and skills. I was going to say humble yourself in the sight of the LORD an if he was sincere then yes, humble yourself, but again this can be that WWE style of promoting and pulling a play from Mcmahon's playbook. If that's the case then Floyd is using marketing genius and helping his brother Andre Ward. It's funny how my comments started one way but morphed into something else. The mind is in motion plus GOD reveals things to me. This may be GOD using Floyd to usher Ward through the door as the next PPV titan and prosper him. Time will tell. Dueces