English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Memo To Marquez: Fight Manny Again, Change Strategy, Tactics!...WOODS

Memo To Marquez: Fight Manny Again, Change Strategy, Tactics!...WOODS

I am no technical wizard. I do not possess the acumen or the authority to dispense advice and expect it to be followed to a T. I am merely a pundit, a man with a keyboard, some passwords to post stuff myself and a level of interest that has left me having watched a boatload of boxing matches.
    But please allow me to furnish some advice to Juan Manuel Marquez, and his trainer Nacho Beristain, or whoever trains him in the future.
    Sir, you have fought Manny Pacquiao three times. You have been "awarded" a draw, and two losses. You are not doing something right.
    You can dispute this, you can argue this till you and I are both blue in the face, you can dismiss me as a dope. But the record book says I am not wrong. The record book says that Pacquiao hasn't lost to you. The record book is speaking to you, and telling you that if you want to turn that around, if you two do fight again, you must do something different.
    In my inexpert opinion, I'd recommend you changing your tactics and strategy, and go from being a guy who capitalizes when the other guy makes mistakes, to being a guy who relies more on volume, more on being first. I'd recommend you being less of a counterpuncher, and more of a puncher, period. I'm not recommending you switch your style wholesale, Juan Manuel. You should still do what it is that makes you a Hall of Fame talent. But in all three fights, which you maintain you won, you threw fewer punches than Pacquiao. Next time, make damned sure you throw more than him. Or at least, try to do so. If you get all offensive minded on Manny, and come at him, you are fighting the sort of style he prefers. So it might not work. You'd be wise to throw more punches than Pacquiao to increase the likelihood that judges who're unwilling or incapable of rewarding a style such as yours against the icon that is Pacquiao smile upon you, instead of screw you.
    It might not work. But what you've been doing hasn't been working either. That's not me talking, that's the record book. That's Boxrec talkin. And you know what they say about those who do the same thing over and over and expect a different result? They say they're crazy. I'd argue that maybe crazy isn't the right word. But stubborn is. Stick to stubborn and you're likely to lose again. You will hold your principles intact but you will be 0-3-1 against the Filipino in the place that matters most, right or wrong, the official record books.
    Juan Manuel, unless you get the terms of fight four to your liking, and the clash takes place in Mexico, the same darn thing will quite likely happen again. You will fight a smart fight, the rounds will be hard to score and subject to debate, and the guy who generates more money printing than the Fed, Pacquaio, will have his hand raised. If and when you fight again, tweak your strategy and tactics, or accept another loss as a foregone conclusion.

Re: Memo To Marquez: Fight Manny Again, Change Strategy, Tactics!...WOODS

First, to all the boxing "experts", writers, pundits, boxers, and people in general who claimed Marquez won are complete morons. It was a close fight but Manny won nevertheless. Everyone needs to rewatch the fight and learn how to score and be objective. As for Marquez changing strategies, it's never gonna happen becuase he'll get knocked out if becomes aggressive--that's Manny's game. Marquez knows it and that's why he relegated to counterpunching and stepping back the entire fight. What happened to his promise that he's going to try to win every round convincingly. It did not happen so stop crying robbery. Also, during the fight Marquez stepped on Manny's foot multiple times deliberately to land his punches. Tony Weeks didn't call foul, what a dork. Manny won 115-113, period. At the worst it was a draw, but Manny won it clearly. Also, why did Manny walk back to his corner with slumped shoulders and head down. He was so disappointed that he didn't win in a knockout because the bar was set so high for him. Everyone took advantage of that lasting impression and claimed it was a gesture of "defeat". Plain BS.

That will never happen. Marquez will knocked out if he ever becomes aggressive. That's Manny's game. Also, Marquez was able to land the shots he landed on Manny because he stepped on Manny's foot many times throughout the fight. Watch for yourselve. Manny won close decision, 115-113. Marquez needs to stop crying, as well as the so called boxing experts, writers, pundits, and boxers who claimed Manny lost.

Marquez said he was going to try to win every round convincingly, but what did he do. He moved back 97% of the time and counter punched. If he tried to move forward and punch with Manny he will get knocked out.

Advanced Users

Marquez fought like a slick, scary b*tchan warrior. I thought that he calls himself a Mexican Warrior. Well, he didn't live up to it. And lost deservingly for not trying to take the belt. He wants to be given sh*t. Who in da fudge appointed him to be entitled? Fudge him! There is no need for a fourth whuppin' of his sorry arse by Da Manny. Holla!

Actually, JMM should probably skip another fight with Manny and just retire. Most writers think he won the 3rd clash. I thought he was winning thru the 10th and maybe gave up one of the last 2 rnds. Manny got the decision because he's a cash cow not because he won. Manny looked bad, exposed and not as explosive as he once was. JMM knows he won; every Mexican in the world knows he won and every writer with a pair of working eyes knows he won, so why fight him again? It will probably look the same as the last one and the judges in Vegas will never give him the decision. He's 38 years old, he fought the fight of his life, he suffered the only kind of "loss" worth savoring and ultimately retiring on--the one where you actually win and the other guy and everybody watching knows it. No rematch.

Absolutely right, Mr. Woods!
    Fighting like a scared animal is a negative in the eyes of many. Some may prefer your footsteps or movement, but boxing is a blood sport, the more of it, the more it is appreciated. Boxing is a sport of aggression. Know the secret of Pacquiao? It's his devil-may-care attitude. That's what catapulted him to the top. Those who choose not to engage and only defend when attacked are only appreciated in a court of law. Marquez performance was good in that he landed the more effective punches, but he did it backing up all throughout the fight, and did it only in spurts when Pacquiao only attacks. Try as he might, Pacquiao chased Marquez to no avail, Marquez was able to counter Pacquiao's imbalances.That spelled Marquez's demise in the eyes of the judges, and in the eyes of many who paid to see bloodbath and grit.

If Marquez was as popular as Manny,.... would he still have lost?

Popularity contests rarely go the the more skilled boxer, the Majority of fans have always loved "Rocky" more than "Apollo Creed",......... While Pac was stumbling around the ring eating straight rights and being finessed out of position with a look on his face like he can't believe he just missed the subway........Marquez was putting on a boxing clinic. It's no surprise a majority of websites and boxing fans (including many professional world champions believe that JMM got the better of the worlds highest rated fighter (at least according to the popular vote). Although Might doesn't always mean Right,.. it does kindle the debate as to who is really the worlds best fighter..
    Strong words are being bandied about like "Robbery, Fix,...... Another TopRank Hometown decision, and so forth. But it's not quite as bad as Froch vs Dirrell, Williams vs Lara, or Cintron vs Sergio Martinez,.. it's more like Williams vs Martinez #1,.. or Berto vs Collazo. Either side could be right and wrong..... It's clear the outcome has Roach, Arum, and Top Rank SHOOK to the core about facing Mayweather next. And I dont blame them.

I agree...Since it is Marquez who wants to wrest the title from Pacquiao, the burden of proof is on him to demonstrate that he's the better fighter.
    Pacquiao: 176 connects of 578 punches
    Marquez: 138 connects of 436 punches

Being the more offensive fighter may not work (it didn't against Mayweather). But at least there is still the possibility of success, while counter-punching did not work the last three times.

Marquez contemplating retirement after "robbery." He may yet change his mind, as he has i believe a ten million dollar guarantee should a rematch take place. In that case, he can employ a new strategy. I for one would want to see this fight.