English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Devon Alexander Might Have Inside Track To Fight Floyd

Devon Alexander Might Have Inside Track To Fight Floyd

You thought it was going to be Robert Guerrero versus Floyd Mayweather on May 4. Then maybe Canelo Alvarez. No, no, Guerrero for sure. Maybe we'll get the announcement at the Super Bowl, maybe right before Beyonce goes on at halftime. But wait, it's Floyd, he likes to mess with us, stir it up, switch it up, make us talk, stay relevant...

"The negotiations for my fight are almost done. The front runner is IBF Champion Devon Alexander. It’d be a unification bout at welterweight," Mayweather Tweeted at midnight, leaving us to mutter and chatter on Twitter about what this all means.

First thought...is Guerrero going to again lose out again on a shot at Mayweather? He was supposed to meet Floyd in May 2012, and thought he had the gig secured. His crew thought it was in the bag...until it wasn't. Miguel Cotto got the fight, much to Guerrero's surprise. It seemed a foregone conclusion that Guerrero had it sewed up for real this time, when Richard Schaefer of Golden Boy, who'd promote along with Mayweather, said on Jan. 23 that it was merely a matter of dotting some Is and crossing Ts on contracts and that the fight would be announced within a week. That came and went, and now a new name popped up. Alexander hadn't been in the mix--and really, who the heck knows but a hallowed few if he really, truly is or this is a negotiating tactic, a public spanking, a message to get Guerrero to drop his asking price--until Floyd said he was. In fact, he'd been slated to meet up with Kell Brook on Feb. 23, until Alexander pulled out, claiming a bicep injury. I say "claiming" because it is always wise to wait and see if another shoe drops...and it looks like maybe the other shoe might be a droppin.' I don't like to tip toward the too cynical, but this is a vicious business, inside and outside the ring, and if someone gets a better offer even though they've accepted another offer, sometimes they take it, decency be damned, because it's hard to pass up the opportunity of a lifetime, never mind some added zeroes on the check. I try to withhold judgment on such matters, because we aren't sure how'd we react in the same situation...

A call to Devon's trainer-advisor Kevin Cunningham, to get details on the (supposed?) injury wasn't returned, so I wasn't able to properly assess the legitimacy or lack thereof of the bicep scapegoat.
    Which brings us back to Mayweather-Alexander; I think Alexander could present a stiffer test to Floyd than Guerrero, because of his mobility. Could the lefty present problems for the to-be-turning-36-on-Feb. 24 Floyd who likes to conserve energy these days more than he did a few days ago, by staying flat footed? Maybe so. Would Guerrero perhaps be easier to dissect, more predictable because he tends to advance in a straight line more so than play the cutie like Devon does? Perhaps. Would Devon's back story be as compelling a sell as Guerrero's? No. Has Devon been in more fights that didn't leave viewers enthralled? Yes. Do more people question Devon's heart, rightly or wrongly, than Guerrero's? Undoubtedly. Will you watch Floyd regardless of who he picks? Undoubtedly. Does Floyd have us keyboard tappers in the palm of his hand. As always.

Advanced Users

Re: Devon Alexander Might Have Inside Track To Fight Floyd

No! No! No! No! And NO to the all above! If Money May pulls a switch and WHUP up on Devon, it will still draw BIG because the red-headed hype on the undercard will be putting those eyeballs in front of those PPV screens. Canelo and his band of Latino followers, floozies and freaks are going to be the moolah bringers.

Money May is an arch grandmaster of making himself seem like the one who's drawing. YUP! He draws a few freaks and groupies, and that is it. He is what the game is about -- optical illusions. It doesn't matter how, just go with the flow and claim to be the puppet master of the show.

Money May knows the magic of bullsyetology. And he is working that psychology. BTW, he will beat either one of these squared-up southpaws easily. And I believe the excessive wasteful moving, jitterbugging Devon Alexander will be easier. That type of fighter is easy to pick off and pick apart. Holla!

What a joke of a fight.

Alexander would be easier than the ghost.

Alexander has movement but it is AWAY from the fight and the pocket.

Alexander is a quitter and doesn't have a champions heart.

The ghost may come forward in angles but he will be in that pocket to do damage none the less.

Mayweather can't be serious about this fight.

He just won a title at 154 his last fight and with trout Canelo and the ghost

He would get a lot of flack for Alexander.

I think the ghost deserves a shot at Mayweather more then Alexander. I also thinks the ghost would make for a more exciting fight then Devonbut I think they both will be no problem at all for Mayweather.

Mayweather is going to have to pull one out of his a** to promote this fight if it's true. I can so Floyd just walk down Alexander has the fight progresses, Alexander is mobile yes as amayeng says who moves in angles away from his opponent. If Guerrero does get to fight Mayweather, than I think we see Ghost who fought at lightweight; boxing smart and attacking at angles, utilizing his left hand. It should be abundantly clear now that straight linear pressure is not the key to beat Money May; it's the left hand/jab that pierces through the philly shell

Advanced Users

Left cross for southpaws. Holla!

This is actually a perfect fight for people to talk about Floyd. The Floyd haters will say, he's fighting a lighter guy again, avoiding legitimate competition, and looking for the easy payday. The Floyd lovers will say, its for a belt, 147 is his natural weight and who is really worth fighting at 147, and no one will be happy with who Floyd beats or fights. I agree with some of both sides. As usual though, anything with Money may will cause banter.

the good doctor is right which is why floyd has always gotten ridiculed for is choices of going for the easy fight...
    when he chose baldimar it was for a belt when he chose judah belts dont mean shiiiiiiiiiiit.
    when he fought ortiz it was a young lion, who had quit before and lost in demeaning ways...
    when it was mosley it was for a belt and the best ww in the world,,,,,who was 38 and 18 months inactive....
    when it was cotto it was for a legit belt withOUT draining him like so and so did, even tho cotto was years past his prime, add into the fact margacheato concrete and cotto just war torn...

floyd always has a bull **** reason..

he just won a belt at 154, why not fight the top guy at 154 in trout or the second top guy in canelo or the top ww in the ghost?????????

alexander are you kidding me?

isnt floyd embarrassed?

I'm gonna wait till my blood pressure drops a few points before i say anything!!!!!

Come B-sug you always cool and calm I want to here your thoughts when your blood pressure is high lol.