English Español
Advertisement

Thread: What was the Fight of the Year in 2012?

admin

What was the Fight of the Year in 2012?

We had some goodies in 2012, didn't we? The fourth Marquez-Pacquiao fight, if this was the last installment, was the best of the bunch. (Hint: That gets the nod on my personal list.) Lopez-Ortiz was a jaw dropper, and speaking of jaws, Salido dropped the hammer on JuanMa, who may never again be quite right. Guerrero-Berto might stand tallest of all the clashes you viewed in 2012, or perhaps Viloria's win over Marquez tickles your fancy. Give us your nomination, and an explanation, and I will collect the best of the entries for a TSS Forum All-Stars Fight of the Year, 2012 story on TSS.

---Editor Mike

Advanced Users

Re: What was the Fight of the Year in 2012?

My fight of the year is definitely Lopez-Ortiz. That Rocky-like performance of Joselito Lopez showed that any time that a man of any size stepped in dat squared jungle it can definitely swing to "The threatre of the unexpected." And even a pugilist, who thrown to a lion king, can surprise dat muthasucka, turn the roaring king in a pu$$ycat, declaw him, break his jaw, shut up his roar and make him QUIT without even a meow.

Lopez-Ortiz edged out Marquez-Pacquiao in my humble opinion. But one again, "The threatre of the unexpected" was in full swing. Da Manny had bust Marquez up, broke his nose, caused a hairline fracture in one of his eyesocket and cut up his mug. And it appeared that the fight would be over in the next round or two. But Marquez was not havin' it. With one second left in the round, he kayoed Da Manny with what will go down in pugilistic history as one of the greatest sucka right hand ever thrown. Danggit! Marquez's punch also shook up a hundred-million Filipinos on nearly 8,000 islands, and millions of more in other countries.

Hats off to Marquez. For one time, he was not a crybaby, and what he did was NICE! In 2013, we will see if he can do it TWICE. Or if he goes down himself in revenge of a Da Manny's punch known as "The Manila ICE." Holla!

Advanced Users

Wow! I guess all the other readers are too worn out from Christmas to post. Whaddup with dat? Are you guys having buyer's remorse for over shopping, headaches and blackouts from drinking all dat _____ ______ and eggnog! Hahaha! Holla!
    Last edited by Radam G; 12-27-2012 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Radam G View Post
    Wow! I guess all the other readers are too worn out from Christmas to post. Whaddup with dat? Are you guys having buyer's remorse for over shopping, headaches and blackouts from drinking all dat _____ ______ and eggnog! Hahaha! Holla!
    Naw man,.. too much overtime... Christmas, and the new fiscal always presents a challenge when it comes to time management... I'll contribute my opinion before the end of the business day friday.. just for the fun of it.

All listed above we're fantastic fights but for sheer fireworks I have to go with

Salido and juanma.

Salido was throwing bombs from the start.

So many good fights this year .. Hard to narrow it down to one but Joseito vs ORtiz jumps out as one of my personal favorites. I hear Joseito may be KHan's next opponent or.... visa versa . Very winnable fight for skinny kid from Riiivvvvvveerrsidddde (in the house!).
    Last edited by SouthPaul; 12-28-2012 at 04:55 PM.

The only other sports that comes close to the solemn severity of a boxing match is Chess, and Poker.
    There's nothing funny about getting KO'd and there's nothing funny about leaving a Poker game broke,... dreading the moment you have to explain to your wife that you gambled away the rent & utility money playing a so-called "Game" .

There's also are very few things in sports as serious as pouring your mind out onto a 8 by 8 black and white board to wage War, .. in the microcosim of violence called Chess.

That's why I'm naming the Epic Game-of-Chess between Paquioa vs Marquez my personal pick as the Fight of the Year.

Watching Paq and Marquez reminded me of good game of chess, it was a calculated war on par with the Apocalypse..

And similar to Chess, their 4th confrontation was ripe with endless permutations of endless possibilities as the potential for a legendary ending escalated with each passing round.

I remember playing a particular game of Chess against a very astute, and calculating opponent during my chess-playing prime.
    My opponent had just taken my Queen, ..and he was busy celebrating and saying a lot of sexually explicit things about what he was going to do to her.
    The game of Chess is so intense, so personal, so powerful..... I almost felt as bad as if he had actually slept with my own wife.

But like Boxing and Poker, you can't wear your emotions on your sleeves.. you have to hold it ...... as to not expose the point of your pain.
    So even though he was winning,.. at that moment,...I had determined in the heart of my unconsoled rage that I would give him the Chess board equivalent of a Columbian Neck-tie.......gallons of sweat rolled from my armpitts into the waist band of my pants while my mind struggled to take vengence against my profane tormentor.

My position was bad,.. I had 2 dangling pieces hanging out there with no backup. and the Grunt formation infront of the king was really shoddy.
    It was my move,... I knew all my meticulously mathematically inclined opponent had to do was take my bishop and begin tearing down the weak fortifications pretending to be a defense for my King. I was bracing for the blitzkrieg.

Unless, .........Instead of trying to save the bishop I said to hell with strategy... and stuck my Horse in a random position near the middle of the board where it had 6 points of contact it could attack.
    In reality it was just a minor nusiance at best,.. but my overly zealous opponent.... still drunk on the wine of his earlier success Ignored the bishop and threatened my Horse with a Grunt instead... His error was unforgivable,....he got greedy and lost his focus..... and the game.

Marquez rightly received credit for being in the right place at the right time to deliver the historic punch that will forever reverberate through the annals of boxing lore. But he did more than that.

What happened on fight night was already brewing,.. congealing,.. gestating.... being formed and "willed" into existance by Marquez.

How may times did Marquez say he was knocking Paq out this time?.. (more times than a convicted murderer says he's innocent, which is why nobody heard him)
    According to Roy Jones,.. Marquez stated before the fight, that he would win, because he's the smarter fighter (not the better boxer).
    In the 2nd round Paquiao was standing straight up when he got shotgunned into the corner by a vicious Marquez right hand. A right had that Marquez has probably kept coiled up and ready to fire since their last fight.
    (sometimes the cobra gets the mongoose,.. ... more often than you think)
    Pac immediately woke up and started gaining success doing what he does best.... This would be the day that he finally puts all controvery to rest....... yes today..... all the critics will eat gravel and crow..
    Paq leaps in an out with the speed of dragonfly,.. fainting twice to the right,.. once to the left.. the straight left lands,.. the jab lands,.. right hook lands... then a body shot... then another left.
    All so fast the only way you can tell that Marquez is being hit is by the way his head keeps snapping back as his face literally starts disintegrating before our eyes..
    Marquez never grabs... he never puts up on the earmuffs, he barely tries to block the punches.... doesn't run or goes into defensive shell... Marquez is ready to fire....
    He never acknowledges how hurt and busted up he is.....
    Closer,... closer,........ just a little bit closer now. KaPyow!!!!!!
    Marquez wasn't fighting for a points win... he bet everything on himself in an increasingly escalating war of strategy, skill, and power, it was the ultimate gamble and he won the ultimate prize.. FOTY,.. hands down.

Both fighters have my sincere thanks for elevating their level of competitiveness and desire for their 4th fight. I take my hat off to both men.

Excellent read, Brown Suga'! Love the dragonfly line. Keeper...

thanks SP,.. but I know I desparately need to hire an editor LOL>

I think Chavez vs Sergio was a close 2nd place,.. Martinez looked like a ballerina dancing around a clod-hopper, lit up on moonshine. The contrast in talent was that jarring. at the end of every round, an emphatic Chavez sr would end his desperate huddle with his son's cornermen by literally shovimg them back up the ladder at the end of the round,... waiving his hands frantically,yelling and cursing like a Mexican version of Boss Hog after learning the Duke boys had gotten away again...

I can understand why it's hard for family members to just sit back, relax and enjoy a fight like regular folks,.. but Chavez Sr looked like he was ready to strip out of his tuxedo and glove-up.

Watching the camera constantly pan out to Julio's dad was almost as entertaining as the fight itself.

When Chavez sat on the top rope at the end of the fight,... knowing he had lost by a wide margin... but beaming with pride that he won a moral victory in decking Martinez, that moment seemed to created a sense of redemption,.. Jr and his DaD basked defiantly in the aftermath of that moment for as long as they could... and even though the previous 11 rounds were filled with frustration, and misery as Martinez repeatedly humiliated Jr throughout the entire fight leading into the 12th round,.... Chavez and his Dad left the arena like they were the winners that night... priceless.

What would have Chavez accomplished if he hadn't been hitting the bong pipe and skipping training sessions with Freddy Roach is a question best left to the imagination.