English Espańol
Advertisement
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Guerrero Pounds Out Win Over Berto, Wants Mayweather Next

Guerrero Pounds Out Win Over Berto, Wants Mayweather Next

ONTARIO, CA-Behind a well-planned attack, Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero pounded the body and floored Andre Berto twice in winning by a wide unanimous decision on Saturday. Next up is Floyd Mayweather if further plans proceed as expected.

“Nobody at 147 pounds can hurt Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero. Nobody,” said Richard Schaefer, CEO for Golden Boy Promotions, which promoted the fight. “Whoever doesn’t have Guerrero in the top five pound for pound list has something wrong.”

Guerrero (31-1-1, 18 Kos) proved his capabilities early on as a welterweight; the beefed up former featherweight looked bigger, taller and stronger in defeating former welterweight world champion Berto (28-2, 22 Kos) before 4,865 fans at the Citizens Business Bank Arena.

The WBC interim titleholder took some shots but proved he was the stronger man against the determined Berto.

Knockdowns in the first two rounds by Guerrero may have startled the crowd and surprised Berto, but from there on the Florida fighter bore down and never quit trying to send the Northern California prizefighter into slumber land.

After a few slow minutes in round one Berto connected with a right hand and quickly Guerrero opened up with his own left cross. Berto’s blow seemed to anger Guerrero who then attacked and fired three successive lefts while Berto held on to his right arm. Down went Berto from the blows in staggering fashion as the crowd roared at the surprise knockdown. It was always assumed that Berto was the stronger puncher, not Guerrero, who began his career as a junior featherweight.
    “I can punch,” said Guerrero. “And I can take a punch.”

Guerrero dropped Berto again in round two with left hands as the Floridian attempted to hold. A swelling quickly developed on the right eye of Berto. Guerrero pounded Berto on the ropes excessively and refused to allow Berto to regain momentum.

The fight stayed mainly inside with Berto intent on holding and hitting and Guerrero pounding the body. He never stopped pounding the body. The plan by Guerrero seemed clear that he planned to work Berto’s body. In rounds three through five he pounded away on the body with both lefts and rights every opportunity.
    “My plan was to fight on the inside,” said Guerrero. “I love it on the inside. I love to fight.”

The fans could sense the glee in Guerrero’s attack and began to shout “Guer-re-ro! Guer-re-ro!”

Berto finally saw his rights connect in round six as he caught Guerrero with some sizzling uppercuts and right counters. Guerrero didn’t seem fazed by the blows but they scored and probably gave Berto his first round on the judge’s cards.

“He didn’t hurt me at all. He caught me with a few shots and punches hard, but I have a great chin,” said Guerrero.

A perfect left uppercut by Guerrero hurt Berto in round seven who seemed surprised by the big blows. Guerrero walloped him with some more combinations and it looked bad for Berto. But the Floridian fought back with a vengeance. Both of his eyes were swollen from the hits he absorbed.

Berto rallied in round nine with some vicious right uppercuts that found the mark on Guerrero’s chin and face. The Northern Californian’s right eye swelled from the shots but both of Berto’s eyes were swollen even worse. The crowd began to cheer “Guer-re-ro! Guer-re-ro!”

With two swollen eyes Berto still tried to match Guerrero who continued to pound the body. Berto tried valiantly to land that one good right hand that could change the fight but never could land the punch to turn the fight around in his favor.

In the final round both fought in their usual position along the ropes with Guerrero firing body shots like some kind of punching machine. Berto occasionally tried to flurry with some combinations but Guerrero would flurry with his own combinations. With 30 seconds left in the fight both began to fire killing blows with Guerrero getting the upper hand perhaps because he only had one eye closed instead of two like Berto. The bell rang but Guerrero continued to fire as the crowd roared and made it impossible to hear the final bell. Four blows connected solidly on Berto’s chin, then, referee Lou Moret stopped the action through the loud cheers. It was finally over.

“I told Andre I was going to beat him down. I had to keep my word,” said Guerrero. “I had to fight him in the inside and work the body. We were on the inside and I was pushing him on the inside to land my punches.”

All three judges scored it identically 116-110 for Guerrero who retains the WBC interim welterweight.

“I came back after 14 months and fought Robert Guerrero. At the end of the day he fought a great fight,” said Berto.

Is Floyd Mayweather next on the list for Guerrero who is recognized as one of the top fighters pound for pound?

Richard Schaefer, CEO for Golden Boy Promotions, said he will be working on making a Guerrero versus Mayweather fight.

“I don’t know how Floyd Mayweather can hurt Guerrero,” said Schaefer immediately after the fight. “Guerrero hurt a natural welterweight.”

Guerrero agrees that Mayweather cannot hurt him and feels he will dethrone the current pound for pound champion.

“I feel I can’t be beat. I’m unstoppable,” said Guerrero during the post fight conference. “I’m here, let’s do this Floyd.”

Other bouts

Florida’s Keith Thurman (19-0, 18 Kos) floored former world champion Carlos Quintana (29-4, 23 Kos) with a left hook to the liver in the first round. It was all downhill from there for Thurman who chased the Puerto Rican for three more rounds and finally ended the fight with a barrage of brutal blows. Quintana refused to quit and kept firing but seemed out on his feet. Finally, referee Jack Reiss jumped in to end the fight at 2:19 of round four.

“I give myself a B-plus,” said Thurman, who grabs the NABO junior middleweight title with the win. “He had heart.”

Quintana said that he is retiring after the loss, but credited Thurman for his talent.

“He’s a strong fighter. He has a good future ahead of him,” said Quintana of Thurman.

Coachella’s Randy “El Matador” Caballero (17-0, 9 Kos) pounded out a third round technical knockout victory at the end of round three against Mexico’s iron chinned Rigoberto Casillas (8-9-1, 6 Kos). Caballero was pounding out combinations throughout the first two rounds including a right uppercut that stunned Casillas. In the third round a seven-punch combination wobbled Casillas but he refused to go down. Both exchanged freely but it was Caballero doing much more damage. At the end of the round referee Jack Reiss brought in the ringside physician who conferred with Casilla’s corner and the fight was stopped for a technical knockout win by Caballero.

Houston’s undefeated Jermell Charlo (19-0, 10 Kos) beat Escondido’s Dashon “Flyboy” Johnson by unanimous decision after 10 rounds of a junior middleweight bout. Charlo was busier throughout the fight with his straight punches through Johnson’s high guard. Every so often Johnson would erupt with a barrage of punches but it wasn’t enough to win the rounds. The judges scored it 100-89, 99-90, 98-91 for Charlo. There were no knockdowns.

Former Olympian Dominic Breazeale (2-0, 2 Kos) started slowly against Tennessee’s Michael Bissett (1-1) who landed some good blows early, but that just seemed to wake up the bigger Breazeale. A four-punch combination sent Bissett down midway through the first round. Then another right cross connected to floor Bissett again. Round two saw Bissett look to kill or be killed instead of running. But Breazeale was too accurate and quick and floored the Tennessean twice in round two right rights. Referee David Denkin stopped the contest at 1:17 of round two.

Manny “Chato” Robles (3-0, 2 Kos), a sharp punching featherweight from Paramount, stunned Missael Martinez (0-7) of Los Angeles with a counter right in the opening round. Then a flurry of 30 blows ensued snapping Martinez’s head back and forcing referee Jack Reiss to stop the fight at 2:15 of round two.

Re: Guerrero Pounds Out Win Over Berto, Wants Mayweather Next

I mell Joe Watson's Funk here!

The ref was terrible but that ain't the reason why Berto lost. Props to the ghost but he has no chance against Mayweather.

Advanced Users

Crow for SRD and his boy SCLA Ali. Y'all KNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW! And, SRD, you really need to trash that bigger-man syet. Size doesn't matter. The smallest creatures dominates the larger one in all of nature. So "the nature bigger man" doesn't mean a hill of black-eyed peas to those in da know. The sweet science history has a bloody trail of small @$$es whuppin and dominating the BIG one for dat moolah.

The Cali Ghost will whup every big and/or steroid-filled arse to get to Money May and largely paid. Though out by Money May, the Cali Ghost's arse will likely get laid. Money May still ain't no joke. In Sin City, a Cali Ghost's @$$, he'll smoke. Holla!

Advanced Users

Agreed, SCLA Ali. The ref should be kicked to the curve and forced to retired from refereeing like the power that be did Joe Cortez. The old doc couldn't move around fast enough to see a lot of the dirty tricks of the Cali Ghost. But that is how a ghost suppose to roll. Berto's corner is at fault. They should've raised sand to the commissioner sitting at ringside letting syet pass him by.

It is just like anything. To get attention and justice, you have to bytch sing. After the bout is finished and done, it's often too late. But Team roids -- I mean Berto -- should file a protest. They just may get another date. Holla!

Guerrero is tough no doubt, he has the physical tools to beat mayweather but he'll have to utilize a different strategy. Mayweather loves it when opponents pressure him on the ropes. If Guerrero uses lateral movement, angles, and his left mayweather is going to have a big challenge. And Guerrero has a lot of stamina so he could get away with smothering mayweather probably. Idk we'd have to see. I think he beats pacquiao though

Berto has a lot of talent and heart but he is one of the dumbest fighters I've ever seen. His chin gets better as the fight goes on but at the beginning he can't take a punch for sh$t. Also his trainer is straight up trash and needs to be replace ASAP!! Berto has zero defense and can only fight in spots. PS Radam you must be a lil man with a little man complex lol!! Its ok u lil guys get lucky sometimes.. But u did pick the ghost sounds like u made some bread off of the fight.
    Last edited by ali; 11-25-2012 at 01:14 PM.

Advanced Users

Every hater thinks the latest hype can beat Da Manny. I guess that is just the stanky - I mean Yanky -- way. Da Manny will kayo the Cali Ghost in two rounds or less.

The Cali Ghost should go fight the Cali Cranium Crusher in an interstate bumfest. And see which one of them is the best. The winner then could call out Money May or Da Manny, and get dat hinny sliced and diced.

I believe that both Rios and Broner can beat TCG and the CCC in catchweights or at welterweight. Da double fudge the latest hyped-up syet. Berto has always been a B fighter on PEDs and roids. And TCG is a B-plus. No matter what he's been through. Holla!

Well, I just finished eating my crow sandwich. Guerrero suprised me with how strong and durable he is; he has quite a chin. He turned the boxing match into a "street fight" and Berto couldn't adjust. Why did Berto try to use the "Philly Shell" style of defense? The "Philly Shell" isn't a defense that you can just learn and implement at the last minute, it takes years to perfect it. Berto should have used the traditional orthodox high guard stance. Also, Berto's poor footwork hasn't improved, he didn't know how to weave or spin Guerrero, thus he allowed himself to be pinned on the ropes. Berto makes exciting fights, but is just about a "shot" fighter because of his defensive deficiencies. I don't Berto beating any of the elite welterweights, with the exception of Paulie Malinaggi.

Advanced Users

Quit it, SCLA Ali! Of course I made plenty of bread. "A little-man complex" is another myth to make big @sses like your feel good. Neither history nor reality support that big-man-is-superior-to-a-smaller-man syet.

I heard of keeping hope alive, but yo' big, ole @ss keep a joke alive. Choke yo'self, or even smoke yo'self! Haha! Holla!