English Español
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pacquiao-Mosley is a done deal

Pacquiao-Mosley is a done deal

You didn't ask for it, but you're gonna get it.

The Manilla Bulletin reports that Pacquiao-Mosley is a done deal, save for a few contractual touchups. The date is May 7, the site is the MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas.

Freddie Roach says Mosley won't be easy, and Larry Merchant told us a few days ago that Temm Pacquiao considered Mosley the stiffest test of the final three in consideration, the other two being Juan Manuel Marquez and Andre Berto. Mosley has looked close to shot recently, and is 2-2-1 in his last five. We tend to trust Roach explicitly, so we'll try our best to totally respect his stance.

At age 39, with excessive mileage on the tires--the guy has been fighting for 31 years!--can Mosley give Manny a run for his money? Or is this just a run for some money, the last big adios payday?

Weigh in, in our brand, spankin new FORUM!

Advanced Users

Radam G

A lot of people are thinking of Sugar Shane Mosley as being old and greasy, but he won't be that easy. He is more stubborn than Holyfield. Da Manny is going to have to put something on his arse every minute because the dude won't yield. He is boxing book. He has a good hook. To the fanfaronades, dangerous he may not look. But those in the know know that the sucka can still cook. Salty ole Sugar Shane has plenty tricks up his sleeve. You play him low, and every time he will heave -- straight up to gettin' on his beatdown. Ringing in my hears are the words of the "Old Mongoose," "Never take an old fighter as an easy-to-beat clown." Oh course, Archie Moore is RIGHT! Long Tall Paul Williams called Sergio Martinez "an old man who doesn't have a chance of beating me." SM kayoed that young arse. Pascal called old B-Hoppy an old man who didn't have a chance. B-Hoppy tore that youngan up, but was the victim of good ole home cooking. "Da Double MM" -- "Master of Misery" -- Michael Moorer called Big (Rev.) George Foreman an "old fart who is going to get the f*** knocked out." We all know who have got KTFO. Joey Maxim was convinced that he was in for an easy night with the Old Mongoose. NYET! Arrogrance and cockiness has gotten some younger cats fudged by the long-in-the-tooth ones. Will this happen to da Manny? Heck no! Because da Manny knows that GOD Above Doesn't Dig da AaC -- Arrogrance and Cockiness. So da Manny will train for the 39-year-old Sugarman as he would have if the Sugarman was still the same ole 19-year-old or 29-year-old Speed demon kickarse. Because when it comes to the human spirit and drive, an old man will superKICK an arrogrant-and-cocky youngan's NATURE, SOFT ARSE! And that is not just me saying that. I've seen these old boxing gods and demigods in live and on film with my own 20-5 (sic) eyesight. That's right! My eyesight is not 20-20. It is straight-up, no syet, 20-5. Time to hit da pit! Holla!

Advanced Users

He may or not not be easy

But this is prize fighting and it's now pretty clear how to take your prize possession into the most money possible. Top rank obviously...and with some legit logic....figures ol' SSM will bring the biggest return on their investment next. After that, JMM. If that be the case, Manny notches one after the other in big name fights and then clears his calander for either Floyd Mayweather or the next proven marketable name to come forward. It is hard to argue that Shane, JMM, Floyd (or Bradley/Alexander) in the next two years is anything less than fighting and beating the rest of the best. That some are old and some are new is just a fact. But fighting the new before the old would make Manny's team soomething they are anything but; Stupid. With a few years left, they can get in line. Shane first. Juanma next. And so on and so on. All that remains now are the signatures and waiting to see if SSM can take heart from Bernard and give it his all. My take: Shane has too much wear and tear. Bernard does not. I am with Harold Letterman on this one. Manny by brutal KO.

Hope the money is worth it to Mosley. Hoping the effects of ring wear and tear don't show up on him as much as I expect they will.

Pacquiao is a DISGRACE!

Pacquiao is a disgrace to the sport of boxing & not to mention the human race! It's obvious that Pacquiao is doping. When Mayweather Sr. & Golden Boy accused him of doping he filed a law suit immediately. When Teddy Atlas shared his information of Pacquiao's possible steroid use on Friday Night Fights Pacquiao did NOTHING! The richest T.V. station on the planet is ESPN. Teddy Atlas works for that station and that station is responsible for Teddy's comments. Why didn't Pacquiao file suit against ESPN and Teddy Atlas for his comments? I'll tell you why Pacquiao didn't file suit. Because Teddy has proof! And Teddy had to produce that proof to ESPN before he could share it with the public. Do your research on the above and you will believe as I do that Pacquiao is a disgrace to the sport of boxing & humanity!

Advanced Users
    @Mayweather - Atlas never said that Pacquiao was on steroids. I remember his remarks well. It was with Brian Kenny on their dialogue segment on FNF's, and he said that Tim Smith (NY Daily News) had unearthed an email, purportedly from Team Pacquiao, that asked what the ramifications would be for a Pacquiao positive test and if they could bury the story and keep it private should such a dirty test occur. Something to that effect. To my knowledge, Atlas never apologized, nor did he back off the comments. That said, Pacquiao is an absolute credit to the sport, but I wholeheartedly disagree with the choice of Mosley. I understand the politics of it all, the WHY behind it, but as a boxing fan, I'm not interested in promoting boxing politics and spin. I want to see the best fighting the best, and Manny Pacquiao unequivocally runs the show. He can pick ANY opponent (forget the hackneyed 'I'll fight who my promoter wants me to fight...'). And he's picking Mosley. Now, if we were in an era where fighters fought 4-6 times per year, I'd have no problem with it. An occasional gimme is deserved. But this is one of two 2011 fights, and Mosley is truly a journeyman right now. A journeyman with a name. Shane's been simply awful the last several years, and he's not going to get better with age. But, we're stuck with him. It's the dark side of TSS.

Advanced Users
    Well, Manny has gone and done it! He's fighting SHOT Sugar Shane whether we like it or not. Well, I suppose there are worse options, aren't there? With Floyd on vacation forever, at least this'll be a good warmup.

Arghh. I'm just pretty damned sure Shane is shot. OK, who watched the Mora fight, and can recall how he looked? Just about no one did...so maybe Roach is right, and he is the sternest test of the Final Three. But I see him getting blasted as bad as 'Cheato...if not worse. Will I watch? Sure.

Hey Isaiah...welcome. Thx for signing up.

Advanced Users
    @Editor Mike. I'm still getting used to this new format Mike. I took some time away from the site because I thought the old format worked just fine, but I'm warming up to it. Things must change, right? By the way, I think Mosley beat Mora fair and square, but a fighter just can't usually look good against a runner like Mora. I hope Shane shows some of his old self and gives Manny some fits.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast