English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Four Warned" Card Is Packed With Solid Matches

"Four Warned" Card Is Packed With Solid Matches

Last time these boxers met it was in a Los Angeles press conference. It was one of the most entertaining press conferences seen in a while. If the fights are half as good as the press conference it should be electrifying.
    Aside from the main event between Antonio Tarver and Lateef “Power Kayode, there are several excellent match ups including Winky Wright versus Peter “Kid Chocolate” Quillin, Austin Trout versus Delvin Rodriguez, and Leo Santa Cruz facing Vusi Malinga on the “Four Warned” fight card on Saturday June 2, at the Home Depot Center. Showtime will televise.
    The Home Depot is one of the best venues for boxing and has been the site for some pretty colorful fights, such as two battles between Israel Vazquez and Rafael Marquez, the welterweight showdown between Paul Williams and Antonio Margarito and Shane Mosley’s last round knockout of crazy Ricardo Mayorga.
    The outdoor setting brings out the best in prizefighters.
    Quillin, a tall sinewy chatty Cuban-American middleweight training in Los Angeles, has willingly agreed to take on ring legend Winky Wright. Two big questions await: is it too early for Quillin to face the experience of Wright? Second, does Wright have anything left in his legs and reflexes to be fighting an aggressive puncher like “Kid Chocolate?”
    “I never really said I was going to knock him out. When I say Pluto it's a metaphor for a place that we've never been to. He's never fought a fighter like me and I've never fought a fighter like him. The fans can expect a fight that they've never seen before,” said Quillin (26-0, 20 KOs).
    Wright smiles at the attention given to his opponent.
    “We're glad to get an opponent like Peter. I'm here to prove that I want to fight the best. I'm not coming back just to fight and get a win, I want to fight the best. I want to be champion. If I can't be champion there's no reason to do this,” said Wright (51-5-1, 25 KOs) a former world champion. “He's young, hungry, tough and that's what I'm looking for.”
    Wright last entered the ring three years ago and looked almost statue-like against the punching machine Paul Williams. But then, that was Williams and few other boxers punched non-stop like the “Punisher.” Wright was set to fight twice in the past two years but both fell out due to injuries to the opponent, then to Wright.
    “It was nobody’s fault,” said Wright. “Just getting old.”
    It’s a very interesting match. A win by Quillin propels him into the middleweight championship category. A win by Winky could get him a title shot. The former champion hasn’t had his hands raised since 2006. But, he does know how to fight. Losses to Williams and Bernard Hopkins are nothing to be embarrassed about.
    Trout vs. Rodriguez
    WBA junior middleweight titleholder Austin Trout of New Mexico fights hard-nosed boxer Delvin Rodriguez in an expected tug of war between talented but relatively unknown 154-pounders.
    “Delvin is a world class fighter,” says Trout (24-0, 14 KOs). “This is the toughest fight of my life.”
    At one time Trout was one of the most sought after sparring partners for junior middleweights to middleweights. His upset win in Mexico over Rigoberto Alvarez followed by another win in Mexico over David Lopez established him for good as the champion. He expects his greatest challenge to come from Rodriguez.
    Rodriguez also expects his toughest challenge.
    “He's not just going to go there and fight just for the heck of it. I know that I have to be very focused. I'm facing someone that I know I can't make any mistakes (against) and I definitely cannot look past him,” Rodriguez (26-5-3, 14 KOs) said.
    Few have grabbed the fight world audience on ESPN like Rodriguez did against mega-tough Pawel Wolak. In two battles Rodriguez exhibited upper class skills in his first fight with the Polish warrior ending in a draw, then he amped up his game in the second fight and walked away with a unanimous victory.
    It’s skill versus skill in this junior middleweight confrontation.
    Santa Cruz vs. Malinga
    A battle for the vacant IBF bantamweight title features East L.A.’s undefeated Leo Santa Cruz (19-0-1, 11 KOs) against South Africa’s Vusi Malinga (20-3-1, 12 KOs).
    “I've been waiting for this opportunity for a long time. I think it's my time to win this title,” said Malinga.
    Santa Cruz knows very little about the South African boxer.
    “He's a good fighter and he looks strong and he has a good uppercut. I've been learning how to block uppercuts,” Santa Cruz says. “Ever since I was a little kid my dream was to have the opportunity to win a world championship.”
    Other bouts
    Former IBO super middleweight titleholder Sakio “The Scorpion” Bika (29-5-2, 20 KOs) meets Dyah Davis (21-2-1, 9 KOs) in a 10 round super middleweight bout. Bika is a hand full for anyone he meets in the ring and Davis has the clever boxing skills to counter. It will be interesting to see how this fight develops.
    Other boxers of note on the fight card are lightweight contenders Sharif Bogere (22-0, 14 KOs) from Las Vegas and hard-hitting Omar Figueroa (16-0-1, 13 KOs) of Texas in separate bouts.
    The first bout begins at 3:15 p.m.
    Fights on television
    Fri. NBC Sports, 6 p.m., Sechew Powell (26-4) vs. Gabriel Rosado (19-5).
    Sat. Showtime, 10 p.m., Antonio Tarver (29-6) vs. Lateef Kayode (18-0); Winky Wright (51-5-1) vs. Peter Quillin (26-0); Austin Trout (24-0) vs. Delvin Rodriguez (26-5-3); Leo Santa Cruz (19-0-1) vs. Vusi Malinga (20-3-1).
    Sat. Telefutura, 11 p.m., Andrew Cancio (13-1-2) vs. Rocky Juarez (28-9-1).

deepwater

Re: "Four Warned" Card Is Packed With Solid Matches

i got old tarver beating the crap out of the african guy. kid coco should knock out stinky winky by the end of the fight or cruise to major dec. delvin r has the boxing skills and the power to win his match. tarver,devlin,kid coco for the wins.

deepwater

oh yeah bika should knock out davis who cant hold his daddys jock strap.

If Speedbags could talk......

I'm loving this CARD more than you could possible know.... my girl "Chocolate" dumped me last week,.. or either I dumped her depending upon whom you talk to so I really need a big event like this to take my mind off my heart-ache and personal woe.

I'm looking forward to watching the bantamweights,.. don't know who they are,.. so this one will be a learning experience.

But tell me this???
    How do OLD boxers comeback 4 or 5 years later from thier last Defeat and actually show improvement against a young strapping up-and-coming prospect?

Winky is going to have to educate me about this process of reversing time. Unless Quantum Physics and a TIME Machine is involved, I'm predicting that Wink doesn't go the distance.

I do have one question for Peter Quillen however....
    When you did a brief commentary on ESPN Boxing not too long ago why weren't you wearing a dental piece to cover that missing front tooth?

Unless your name is Leon Spinks,... No professional boxer in 2012 in any weight class should giving interviews with a hole in their smile. Especially if fans like myself are making supportive comments about you.... it's embarassing.

moving on.

I enjoy watching Tarver the commentator more than Tarver the boxer... Tarver does a decent job of talking up the fight while bringing a healthy dose of levity to the commentary. The man clearly likes to have fun while he's on the clock.

We've seen Kayode struggle with lesser named boxers who were simply more relaxed and less inclined to "nut-up" at the sight of Kayodes bulging biceps. So it doesn't take a prophet to predict a potential loss in the future of the buff contender.

But I'm picking Kayode anyhow,...Why?,.... because he MUST win,.. lest we see Tarver accomplish his goal of getting a Klitchko fight....
    Lord knows,.. we've seen enough of those mismatches.
    Kayode, by hustling his way to an ugly UD>

Finally the fight that's sure to be the most pleasing to the eye,... Rodriguez vs Trout.
    Two young, primed, and ready junior middleweights.

Rodriguez who's literally starving and clawing his way up the ranks versus the Unknown Champion, Trout who's been fighting south of the border in half filled venues while the patron's seem more attentive to their warm Coronas than Trouts efforts in the ring.

Rodriguez is hungry,.. but Trout is more skillful, a close unnanimous decision for Trout in a pleasing bout that finally puts his name in the same conversation as Alvarez, Spinks, Bumbridge, Cotto and Lara.

Two man enter,... one man gets a Pass to Vegas!!!

I'll be watching the fight in tearful solitude,... eating a big bowl of butter pecan icecream while drowing my sorrows with a case of Hieny's. While I try to break into my ex's facebook and twitter accounts.

deepwater

Re: If Speedbags could talk......

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    I'm loving this CARD more than you could possible know.... my girl "Chocolate" dumped me last week,.. or either I dumped her depending upon whom you talk to so I really need a big event like this to take my mind off my heart-ache and personal woe.

I'm looking forward to watching the bantamweights,.. don't know who they are,.. so this one will be a learning experience.

But tell me this???
    How do OLD boxers comeback 4 or 5 years later from thier last Defeat and actually show improvement against a young strapping up-and-coming prospect?

Winky is going to have to educate me about this process of reversing time. Unless Quantum Physics and a TIME Machine is involved, I'm predicting that Wink doesn't go the distance.

I do have one question for Peter Quillen however....
    When you did a brief commentary on ESPN Boxing not too long ago why weren't you wearing a dental piece to cover that missing front tooth?

Unless your name is Leon Spinks,... No professional boxer in 2012 in any weight class should giving interviews with a hole in their smile. Especially if fans like myself are making supportive comments about you.... it's embarassing.

moving on.

I enjoy watching Tarver the commentator more than Tarver the boxer... Tarver does a decent job of talking up the fight while bringing a healthy dose of levity to the commentary. The man clearly likes to have fun while he's on the clock.

We've seen Kayode struggle with lesser named boxers who were simply more relaxed and less inclined to "nut-up" at the sight of Kayodes bulging biceps. So it doesn't take a prophet to predict a potential loss in the future of the buff contender.

But I'm picking Kayode anyhow,...Why?,.... because he MUST win,.. lest we see Tarver accomplish his goal of getting a Klitchko fight....
    Lord knows,.. we've seen enough of those mismatches.
    Kayode, by hustling his way to an ugly UD>

Finally the fight that's sure to be the most pleasing to the eye,... Rodriguez vs Trout.
    Two young, primed, and ready junior middleweights.

Rodriguez who's literally starving and clawing his way up the ranks versus the Unknown Champion, Trout who's been fighting south of the border in half filled venues while the patron's seem more attentive to their warm Coronas than Trouts efforts in the ring.

Rodriguez is hungry,.. but Trout is more skillful, a close unnanimous decision for Trout in a pleasing bout that finally puts his name in the same conversation as Alvarez, Spinks, Bumbridge, Cotto and Lara.

Two man enter,... one man gets a Pass to Vegas!!!

I'll be watching the fight in tearful solitude,... eating a big bowl of butter pecan icecream while drowing my sorrows with a case of Hieny's. While I try to break into my ex's facebook and twitter accounts.
    hey man, watch the fight at the strip club. do the al bundy ,have a 100 bill on the outside and 50 $ 1 bills on the inside.. order the one drink minimum, watch the fight while the money hungry girls sweat you but dont tip em. but dont drink more then 1 , because if you get tipsy those girls will empty your pockets. also scram right after the fight because the mobsters that run the joint will be pissed your not spending.lol

I will never root for Tarver so im hoping Kayode is able to pull off the upset. I think Winky will find a way to beat Quillin I just don't think he is not that good.

Advanced Users

Danggit! SCLA Ali, you are just lefty hating a living legend. Tarver is all dat, a know-something talking head and a bag chips. Holla!

Advanced Users

Dang! Deepwater just took B-Sug in some serious deep water about how to handle getting dump by a dame. I'm reminded of the lyrics of Alicia Keys: "You don't even know my name." Hehehe! I just had to get on my rhyme. And you know me. I'm down with O-P-P all the time. Holla!

Re: If Speedbags could talk......

Quote Originally Posted by deepwater View Post
    hey man, watch the fight at the strip club. do the al bundy ,have a 100 bill on the outside and 50 $ 1 bills on the inside.. order the one drink minimum, watch the fight while the money hungry girls sweat you but dont tip em. but dont drink more then 1 , because if you get tipsy those girls will empty your pockets. also scram right after the fight because the mobsters that run the joint will be pissed your not spending.lol
    LOL,...Alcohol, Strippers, Money, and Emotional Baggage can be a bad combination, but if UPS delivers my Floyd Mayweather "MONEY TEAM" T-Shirt tomorrow, I might take a closer look at your suggestion.

This is off topic,... even more off-topic than strippers.

But Golovkin vs Pirog is 90% done per recent reports...

I'm in boxing heaven right now!!!