English Español
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roach Curious To See If Povetkin Is Close To Being A Klitschko Threat...WOODS

Roach Curious To See If Povetkin Is Close To Being A Klitschko Threat...WOODS

[img]images/stories/boxing/PacquiaoMarquezIII_Hogan_10.jpg[/img]
    The heavyweight scene, as seen through the eyes of the US fight fan, is two-day-old bagel stale. One of the Klitschkos fights on Dec. 10 against another guy with no chance.
    OK, sorry for the flippancy there. But I couldn't be much less enthused about WBO-IBF-WBA champion Wladimir Klitschko's clash against Jean-Marc Mormeck in Dusseldorf on the tenth. I see Mormeck, a 39-year-old Frenchman, as having as much chance against Klitschko as Kim Kardashian does landing a relationship advice talk show. He's fought three times in four years, and his last outing came a year ago, a split decision win against Timur Ibragimov.
    There is a bit more interest in Alexander Povetkin, who holds a junior WBA title, and his tussle Saturday. He takes on Cedric Boswell in Finland, and EPIX will show the scrap, kicking off their programming at 3:30 PM ET. Anyone tired of the Klitschko stranglehold on the division is looking hopefully at the 32-year-old Russian Povetkin, who is cornered by Teddy Atlas, the super-intense guru who also works as an ESPN analyst. Freddie Roach will help call the action, which includes a showdown between another potential Klitschko-killer, Robert Helenius, who meets Dereck Chisora.
    I asked Roach on a Tuesday phoner if he gives Boswell much of a chance to beat Povetkin. "Povetkin is a favorite," the Hollywood-based trainer to manny Pacquiao and Amir Khan said. "Boswell has 35 wins but that's over a long period of time. He's been sporadic. His best win is maybe Oliver McCall last March. Povetkin has been busier and was a great amateur. So, Povetkin is favored a little bit more than a little bit."
    There is some buzz on Helenius, a Swede based in Finland who downed Sergei Liakhovich (TKO9) in August. I asked Roach who he thinks is the best heavyweight among the top four on the card. "I like Povetkin," he said. "We wonder if he can step up and beat a Klitschko. Everyone's waiting to see. He's getting close to that test.
    I trained Wladimir for four fights, and Vitali for one. They're great athletes, they're the hardest working heavies I've seen. I don't think anyone on planet beats them."

Advanced Users

Re: Roach Curious To See If Povetkin Is Close To Being A Klitschko Threat...WOODS

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! Da Docs/bros K know how to put the deadbeat heavies and the fans to sleep. Holla!

Re: Roach Curious To See If Povetkin Is Close To Being A Klitschko Threat...WOODS

Roach might be curious but I'm not. Povetkin is a small, slow, basic heavy who offers no threat to the K Bros whatsoever and Teddy Atlas knows it, that's why he hasn't allowed Povetkin near the Ks or any other decent heavyweight since he started training him.
    Povetkin's best performance was Chris Byrd 4 years ago, against a reluctant Chagaev he was boring and one-dimensional. Both Ks don't lose a round against Povetkin, Haye KOs him, it's a toss-up with Adamek, Arreola or Tony Thompson.
    Tyson Fury and Robert Helenius are both far scarier prospects for the Ks in twelve months and I think both would KO Povetkin right now (if they were ever allowed in the ring with him!).

Gibola

Quote Originally Posted by gibola View Post
    Roach might be curious but I'm not. Povetkin is a small, slow, basic heavy who offers no threat to the K Bros whatsoever and Teddy Atlas knows it, that's why he hasn't allowed Povetkin near the Ks or any other decent heavyweight since he started training him.
    Povetkin's best performance was Chris Byrd 4 years ago, against a reluctant Chagaev he was boring and one-dimensional. Both Ks don't lose a round against Povetkin, Haye KOs him, it's a toss-up with Adamek, Arreola or Tony Thompson.
    Tyson Fury and Robert Helenius are both far scarier prospects for the Ks in twelve months and I think both would KO Povetkin right now (if they were ever allowed in the ring with him!).

Gibola
    Povetkin is much better than you describe, and he is, to my eyes, one of the quicker, more agile young heavies. That being said, he has little chance against the K's, but, as you said, a toss-up or better against the other "contenders". Atlas was far more concerned, I think, about emotional maturity and commitment that he was about lack of ability.

Banned

I'm really curious to see the Klitschkos fight someone their own size or even larger. A phenom like Tyson is just barely above average when faced with someone who can absorb his best shots. I'd like to see how the Klitschkos fare when they do not have the size advantage, which is why (for now) I"m giving jokers like Helenius and Tyson Fury a fair chance of beating them.

WK's greatest strength is using his size against smaller fighters...But he limits his own potential by hardly ever getting in close, bending his knees and throwing uppercuts or body punches. In fact there are some punches he never throws... There is no way Haye or Chambers would have lasted if WK just cut loose on them,... trapped them in a corner and broke em' in half with some well placed power shots to the body... WK should be able to make most fighters cower in fear after one round and toss in the towel. But he approaches boxing like a chess player who is 2 or 3 pawns up and keeps going after the other pawns instead of taking out the knights, bishops, rooks and queen.

Still Tyson Fury is nowhere disciplined enough to complete with WK at this point and time..and Helinus is only marginally better than the lumbering Valuev..... But either could make things interesting if they went for broke like Corey Sanders.

Povetkin has shown some promise but the guy is still wearing training wheels at the age of 32,.. by now either he has the goods or he doesn't... I see him getting dominated by WK from the outside like the rest. There are least 3 Young Giants on the horizon as we speak,..Guys who are more fluid and natural at boxing than WK (but not necessarily better at their current level of inexperience).. All 3 are still a ways off from competing for a championship. If WK stays around long enough,... we'll eventually see him some very competetive Heavyweight matches yet with guys his own size. Give it a year and half.

Banned

Wlad is not limiting his potential, he's maximizing his untouchability. His KO ratio is among the most impressive in heavyweight history. He could fight more conventionally and commit to his punches more often and perhaps score more spectacular KO's and look more destructive doing it, but he's also going to compromise his size advantage. He stops just about everybody and takes little to no damage each time out. He shouldn't change anything.

Well said, F4JC. Credit when due.

F4JC,... What's most impressive to me about WK is his professionalism, longevity and poise outside the ring, He's the best of todays dreary roundup of heavyweights hands down..
    However having a high percentage of KO's in todays dubious era of recycled journeymen from Lewis's generation is more expected than impressive. Especially with the size disparity.....It's like Chad Dawson boxing someone Pacquiao's size. It's legal because there is no superheavy-weight division yet.. but it's a series of mismatches with cruiserweights and also rans...

Whenever WK does get in the ring with someone with halfway decent credentials he clams up an uses the stiff-arm while he rations out punches like they have a high price tag. Stewart had to beg, humiliate, and scold WK before he finally worked up the courage to take out the grossly outsized Chambers in the 12th.

Obviously HBO wasn't impresses with him, as he was effectively barred from the cable giant boxing shows since his previous 12round game of patty-cake with the smallish Ibragamov.

We were glad to see his return to HBO against Haye recently,..hoping he would pay Haye back for his imprudent mouthpiece.... but WK allowed the big-mouth 210 pound challenger to fight a survivalist fight for 12 rounds while standing right in front of him flat footed with his hands down the entire fight.... and sadly no fireworks again.

For someones who's always calling some boxer or another a coward,.. fighters who are infinitely more engaging against more dynamic opposition, it's ironic you're impressed with the most skiddish, cautious fighter in professional boxing.

you'll get another chance to praise him after he dispatches a 39 year old french cruiserweight in another sleep inducing affair.

It's not like I don't appreciate WK for what he is ,... a hard working professional with 15 defenses..... a big fish in todays small pond of heavyweights. But I can't lather on the praise until I see what he can do with guys his own size..

WK won't be able to stiff-arm guys his own size without getting punched back in return.. and the next generation of big men won't be hamstrung by being limited to just 4 punches in there arsenal,.. they'll attack with a full range of motion and from all angles.

These are the heavyweight fights I want to see,... The big guys fighting guys their own size.

Well, he destroyed big Tony Thompson, and took some leather doing it...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast